Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,323 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:49 AM

The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events (10297 Views)

Do You Support Stand Up Comedy In Church? / For The Best Marquee Tents For Your Religious Events(rental And Sales). / What Is Your View About Comedy In The Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by suregalluv(f): 1:11pm On Dec 14, 2018
The little period I have used in observing some events, Christian concerts and crusades, I have noticed that most of them include comedy and I am like "why comedy, what's the essence?" I learnt that all presentations must have a message or messages it is conveying ( I don't know if all churches keep to that).

I don't still understand why comedy should be included. What message is it passing across? What value does it add to one's spiritual life? Was there a point or a verse in the Bible where we were told to crack jokes ( of which more than 80% of them are all lies)? It is getting so annoying that at a point you cannot tell the difference between a secular and nonsecular event in a church gathering.

During The Experience 13, there was no message/moral lesson/value in the jokes told and then the recognition of some dignitaries which almost made it look it a political gathering was irrelevant and uncalled for.

We should always note that all gatherings are to bring one closer to Christ, worship Him and everything thing that has to do with glorifying God not just going to return with nothing to hold on to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcQBPy2FObg

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by Ranchhoddas: 2:49pm On Dec 14, 2018
It's evolution. The social kind.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by LordReed(m): 5:31pm On Dec 14, 2018
Ranchhoddas:

Yep
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by suregalluv(f): 9:05pm On Dec 14, 2018
Ranchhoddas:

Is it supposed to be so?

2 Likes

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by Ranchhoddas: 9:39pm On Dec 14, 2018
suregalluv:

Is it supposed to be so?
Evolution does not take into consideration whether a thing is supposed to be so. The only thing that matters is what is necessary.
Your feelings about the matter do not count.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by sukerefakere(m): 10:24pm On Dec 14, 2018
Or perhaps; The inclusion Of Religion into Comedy

1 Like

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by suregalluv(f): 7:47pm On Dec 15, 2018
Ranchhoddas:
Evolution does not take into consideration whether a thing is supposed to be so. The only thing that matters is what is necessary.

Evolution doesn't mean the church should also deviate from the purpose which it was meant for.

21 Likes

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by okwabayi(m): 12:41am On Dec 16, 2018
I will attend church if they include comedy shows. What I do in church is sleep, especially on Sundays when I don't complete my nightly eight hours. At least a comedy show will keep me fully awake.

2 Likes

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by akeensbussy(m): 8:12am On Dec 16, 2018
Truly, Religion is a scam.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by Hakeem12(m): 8:24am On Dec 16, 2018
When all the tales in the book have been told over and over. When people have gotten tired of being scared with hell and the promise of heaven, what's more than to spice it up with comedy. Addicts, who want their hit of bullshiit to keep their dopamine of ignorance. Addicts, afraid to face the cold reality of death. Addicts, getting hooked on the drug of hope, believing there's a place where the river flows with milk and wine. Just so we are clear, I didn't crucify anybody's saviour, nor did I eat any forbidden fruit. So please, wallow in your self manufactured guilt alone.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by letsfarmnigeria: 8:24am On Dec 16, 2018
EMM ITS PART OF HUSTLE TO CREATE LAUGHTER IN THE MIST OF ECONOMIC TENSION

why not learn farming from the comfort of your home see videos of how farming is done ask questions and get answers simply log on to letsfarmnigeria..com for free

1 Like

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by hopefulLandlord: 8:26am On Dec 16, 2018
Christianity and churches in Nigeria is comdey

what could be more funny than a Nigerian believing the son of a Jewish folklore carpenter killed by three nails like a common thief in a small Israeli village 2000 years ago died for their sins when the Jews themselves don't buy that?

do these people know that there are far more Muslims and Judaism adherents in Israel than there are Christians?

The religious affiliation of the Israeli population as of 2011 was 75.4% Judaism, 16.9% Muslim , 2.1% Christian and 1.7% Druze , with the remaining 4.0% belonging to minor faiths such as Samaritanism, Baha'iism or no religion

these are people whose ancestors lived during the time and saw this Jesus live and die but they don't believe he was dying for them

but a Nigerian read from a book and concluded that 97.9% of the Jews are wrong because logic favours storytelling over experiencing something, Amirite you must know Obasanjo more than the people living with and around him because you read Punch newspapers and check internet for news about him. The worst part is the book they read and conclude on is a slavery endorsing book handed to their ancestors by their pink skinned slavemasters

just try to imagine how funny its gonna look if you travel to the US and see most Americans worshipping Murtala Mohammed, saying he died for them grin

every Nigerian Christian is a comedian tongue

32 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by nanakgh(m): 8:26am On Dec 16, 2018
Both are make believe so they go hand in hand

1 Like

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by tstx(m): 8:26am On Dec 16, 2018
Yawn
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by iceboy4752(m): 8:27am On Dec 16, 2018
Your statement "Was there a point or a verse in the Bible where we were told to crack jokes?" made me laugh. In fact, was there a point or verse in the Bible where we were asked to go to church?
Some of these comedies are even targeted at mocking Christ and the things Christians should respect, but no, we don't try to stop these things and call it "being tolerant." You'll hardly see Muslims joking with anything they venerate, yet some of us will still criticize them badly for being angry that we joke with Muhammad's name.

4 Likes

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by tstx(m): 8:27am On Dec 16, 2018
nanakgh:
Both are make believe so they go hand in hand
cheesy
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by cbrass(m): 8:27am On Dec 16, 2018
It is becoming so shameful and highly embarrassing. In fact I don't watch jokes been cracked in the church on youtube again

7 Likes

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by ednut1(m): 8:27am On Dec 16, 2018
If u cant beat them join them. There are other churches that dont do comedy na
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by Sammy07: 8:28am On Dec 16, 2018
Ranchhoddas:

I concur with this.
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by purplerope: 8:28am On Dec 16, 2018
There is absolutely nothing wrong with including comedy, apart from hearing the scripture

Abeg we need something to cool of with this kind regime where we dey.

Talk true in your church during or after service you no dey see how some members face dey strong

Abegiiiiii

1 Like

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by Sampalo: 8:29am On Dec 16, 2018
A Religion that is always changing with Time, is not a religion from God. One of the signs of a true religion is the religion that will not change and will suit all ages (Time). Do your research to find this religion if you are Wise.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by cbrass(m): 8:29am On Dec 16, 2018
Ranchhoddas:
Are you a heaven bound Christian at all cry
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by InansBobo(m): 8:30am On Dec 16, 2018
Some churches deviate from that completely but in a case where the purpose of the gathering is not for worship purpose; eg pastors' birthday, church love feast etc, there's no problem by me.

No church would do comedy on a Sunday morning na
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by sirusX(m): 8:31am On Dec 16, 2018
okwabayi:
I will attend church if they include comedy shows. What I do in church is sleep, especially on Sundays when I don't complete my nightly eight hours. At least a comedy show will keep me fully awake.

2 Likes

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by cbrass(m): 8:31am On Dec 16, 2018
Sampalo:
A Religion that is always changing with Time, is not a religion from God. One of the signs of a true religion is the religion that will not change and will suit all ages (Time). Do your research to find this religion if you are Wise.

This is where you got it all wrong. Christianity is not a religion you practice, Jesus is still thesame, today and forever more

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by onyidon22(m): 8:31am On Dec 16, 2018
There's is nothing wrong in that provided the joke does not contain some offensive words
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by SAMBARRY: 8:32am On Dec 16, 2018
Its a pity what Christianity has been reduced to these days.a church has now been reduced to an entertainment centre.no more seriousness and sobrerity in church. If people are not going to church to slay,they are going to look for boyfriends, girlfriends, jobs,contract,miracle and all sorts.meanwhile I have never seen any Alfa inviting basket mouth to his mosque for performance or using the koran to crack lousy jokes or a witch doctor inviting alibaba to the shrine to crack jokes .its only with Christianity that anything goes

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by cbrass(m): 8:33am On Dec 16, 2018
InansBobo:
Some churches deviate from that completely but in a case where the purpose of the gathering is not for worship purpose; eg pastors' birthday, church love feast etc, there's no problem by me.

No church would do comedy on a Sunday morning na

As long as it is the house of God it is totally wrong
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by thesicilian: 8:35am On Dec 16, 2018
God is the same yesterday, today and forever. There's no record in the New Testament of the apostles ever inviting people to make them laugh after praise and worship. There's a time and place for everything.

If Jesus Christ could be angry about the sales of "worship materials" right in the temple, to the extent of throwing away these materials, I wonder what he would have done about comedians in the temple.

And the amazing thing is that the House of God is still being used as a market place till today all in the name of selling " ministry materials" even during service.

2 Likes

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by helinues: 8:37am On Dec 16, 2018
I think it depends on the type of comedy/jokes. Life is too short to take everything too serious.

What do I know...

Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by LordReed(m): 8:39am On Dec 16, 2018
Sampalo:

There is no religion that has not changed with time.
Re: The Inclusion Of Comedy In Religious Events by crunchyg: 8:39am On Dec 16, 2018
Sampalo:
Guy mind you, Christianity is not a religion

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

7 Secrets That Brought Bishop David Oyedepo To The Top In Ministry / Atheist Hangout- UPDATE (Atheist Sermon- THE STORY OF GALLORAN) / What Is The Difference Between Miracle And Blessing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.