Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,724 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity (10383 Views)

Korede Bello’s Invitation To Sing At Popular Church Attracts Criticism / Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here / Are Burial Ceremonies Bible-Based Or Pagan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Seewealth(m): 10:58pm On Sep 22, 2012
please mention the 3 types of tithes. i can only identify 2
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Image123(m): 11:40pm On Sep 22, 2012
Seewealth: please mention the 3 types of tithes. i can only identify 2
if only you attended the program, they may have recorded up to 26people. you late.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by JeSoul(f): 9:57pm On Sep 24, 2012
Pastor Kun:

The report at last grin

Well the program held as scheduled even though i arrived late due to pressing business issues. The program was well attended with about 25-30 people in attendance and it lasted for about five hours. The program was divided into three sections; First was a very detailed exposition into the history and origins of biblical tithing and why God instituted it for the Jews, a detailed analysis of church tithing today and the disconnect between it and the one instituted in the bible, an analysis of Abraham's tithe which is used to justify tithes in churches today and the glaring disconect between it and what is preached in church today. furthermore more we were taught that as christians we are not under the law and we are not bound to keep jewish laws. More importantly we were warned that christians trying to keep aspects of the law are in danger of loosing their salvation as they are demonstrating they don't have enough faith in christ as expressed by Paul in Galatians 3:10 and Galatians 5:1-4. Since i was late for the program i missed out on the ealier parts but this i can say is the summary of what was taught to us there and of course this section was handled by Petres007 very nicely dressed in a very smart suit like a big time prosperity preacher. grin

The second part was a discussion forum, we were divided into two groups were attendees were able to discuss and and ask questions on the subject matter, in the group i was in most people agreed and understood that there was a major disconnect between tithing today and what obtained in the bible however we still had the "my pastor said" crowd who were finding it difficult to come to terms with the fact that their pastors had led them astray. At this point i decided to take charge of the discussion and dug into my rich wink repertoire of the subject matter in explaining to and convincing those would still had doubts about the subject matter. I dug basically into to church history and how tithing came to be practised in the church with the fianlly assertion that monetary tithing from income started in America less than 150 years ago so it is clearly a man made doctrine derived from twisting outdated biblcal doctrines that are not applicable to christians in the first instance. By the end of the discussion forum those who had sympathy for the tithe doctrine were dumbfounded and very quiet. One could easily tell that they had been touched by what was revealed to them and they would be having second thoughts on this false doctrine.

The final part was a question and answer forum which was handled by another co ordinator. At the end of the forum it was established that the tithing doctrine was very dangerous to christianity as it is the pillar on which several other false doctrines ravaging the church today are built. It is also the cornerstone of the prosperity gospel which is clearly inspired by the devil himself to distract christians from the true gospel of christ. It was also established that as christians we have to contend for the faith and not tolerate those adding 'little' lies to the gospel as a drop of poison is enough to poison a whole glass of water. In all it went very well and a good number of people were definitely delivered from the yoke of tithing placed on their lives by mere men.

@Petres007

You may wish to make some inputs as i came late and missed out on some parts of the program.
Great, thanks! I'm glad you all got to dive into the bible & church history. I wish there was a recording for the rest of us to see. Maybe agent 007 can record it next time smiley.

Snr brother Image how body now? smiley you're chiding uncle Kunle & agent 007 about the # of people...you should know better now. Where 2 or 3 are gathered. Plus its not the quantity of people there but rather the quality. One person can effect a change in a thousand, whereas a thousand can come, but yet no change in a single one - we see that everyday in naija - masses go to church almost daily but no change in the morality of the nation.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Image123(m): 10:40pm On Sep 24, 2012
JeSoul, i fine oh. i v.much doubt they were gathered in Jesus' name. The chiding though was from kunle's talk about The program was well attended and more and more people are coming to the knowledge of truth that tithing is not meant for christians. It was a blatant insinuation.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by truthislight: 11:45pm On Sep 24, 2012
Image123: JeSoul, i fine oh. i v.much doubt they were gathered in Jesus' name. The chiding though was from kunle's talk about The program was well attended and more and more people are coming to the knowledge of truth that tithing is not meant for christians. It was a blatant insinuation.

Jesoul seems to appreciate bible truth more than you, since you survive on tith money, your mind is closed to the truth.
Hypocrite!

1 Like

Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by PastorKun(m): 7:09am On Sep 25, 2012
Image123: JeSoul, i fine oh. i v.much doubt they were gathered in Jesus' name. The chiding though was from kunle's talk about The program was well attended and more and more people are coming to the knowledge of truth that tithing is not meant for christians. It was a blatant insinuation.

Olodo, all I have written about tithes on this
forum remain bible based facts unlike you that type of tithes you preach is not supported by un diluted scripture. It is a verifiable fact that scriptures had to be twisted to arrive at the unbiblical type of tithes preached and practised today. This is the TRUTH people are getting to know that you and your cohorts would rather keep them in the dark about cause of your greedy selfish gain.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by petres007(m): 7:35am On Sep 25, 2012
Seewealth: please mention the 3 types of tithes. i can only identify 2

This thread isn't meant for such discussions - only as an invite. We did discuss all three types at the meeting and are working on a write up based on the outline used that day. I should post it here when its ready. However, the fact that you can identify two shows you've been studying beyond Malachi 3, which is usually where it starts and ends for most.

Image123:
if only you attended the program, they may have recorded up to 26people. you late.

The premium you WoLFers place on numbers is one red flag I believe consistently gives you away. The way that leads to life isn't the one with multitudes on it.

Image123: i v.much doubt they were gathered in Jesus' name.

Because they hold a different opinion than yours means they did not gather in Jesus' name?
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Zikkyy(m): 8:54am On Sep 25, 2012
petres_007:

The premium you WoLFers place on numbers is one red flag I believe consistently gives you away. The way that leads to life isn't the one with multitudes on it.

The problem with modern day church. success is measured by the number of attendees.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Image123(m): 11:37am On Sep 25, 2012
Pastor Kun:

Olodo, all I have written about tithes on this
forum remain bible based facts unlike you that type of tithes you preach is not supported by un diluted scripture. It is a verifiable fact that scriptures had to be twisted to arrive at the unbiblical type of tithes preached and practised today. This is the TRUTH people are getting to know that you and your cohorts would rather keep them in the dark about cause of your greedy selfish gain.
if only you understood english, you'll have known that my remark was to your 'we plenti' insinuation, not how right or wrong your bollocks look.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Image123(m): 11:49am On Sep 25, 2012

Because they hold a different opinion than yours means they did not gather in Jesus' name?

Wolfers, that's a new one.What does it mean my dear? i wasn't the one that talked about the program been WELL ATTENDED, or of MORE AND MORE people. na your pikin Kunle talk am. i was just playing with him but e be like say the thing pain you sotay you wan rename a whole grown up.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by debosky(m): 12:44pm On Sep 25, 2012

What makes you doubt they were gathered in Jesus' name?
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Image123(m): 1:37pm On Sep 25, 2012
debosky:

What makes you doubt they were gathered in Jesus' name?
I'm not fully convinced, that's why i doubt it. At least you understand English unlike that petesh that is already affirming my doubts.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by debosky(m): 1:41pm On Sep 25, 2012
Image123:
I'm not fully convinced, that's why i doubt it. At least you understand English unlike that petesh that is already affirming my doubts.

I understand that doubt = not fully convinced. grin

What I asked for is why - what is causing you to doubt/what is the source of your doubt?

1 Like

Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Image123(m): 5:33pm On Sep 25, 2012
debosky:

I understand that doubt = not fully convinced. grin

What I asked for is why - what is causing you to doubt/what is the source of your doubt?
yyyyeeeeeeeaaaaaa, i. don't know ohhhh. all i know is that i doubt oooh.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by petres007(m): 5:45pm On Sep 25, 2012
Image123:

Wolfers, that's a new one.What does it mean my dear? i wasn't the one that talked about the program been WELL ATTENDED, or of MORE AND MORE people. na your pikin Kunle talk am. i was just playing with him but e be like say the thing pain you sotay you wan rename a whole grown up.

Sorry. Didn't know you were kidding. Sure didn't sound like it.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Image123(m): 6:30pm On Sep 25, 2012
petres_007:

Sorry. Didn't know you were kidding. Sure didn't sound like it.
debo, this is the guy you should be questioning, not me. he's been so sure and you're not asking him why. me that I'm not sure of something, you wan squeeze out why. why?
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by debosky(m): 9:30pm On Sep 25, 2012
Image123:
debo, this is the guy you should be questioning, not me. he's been so sure and you're not asking him why. me that I'm not sure of something, you wan squeeze out why. why?

I don't see any reason to question him TBH. . . .the original post said they were gathering to share the Word of God, and it appears that's what they did (albeit sharing their understanding of it).

If Christians gather to share the Word, I assume they gather in Jesus' name, unless I see something contrary.

I'm asking whether you've seen anything contrary, as a more mature brother in the faith. grin

1 Like

Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Image123(m): 1:35pm On Sep 27, 2012
debosky:

I don't see any reason to question him TBH. . . .the original post said they were gathering to share the Word of God, and it appears that's what they did (albeit sharing their understanding of it).

If Christians gather to share the Word, I assume they gather in Jesus' name, unless I see something contrary.

I'm asking whether you've seen anything contrary, as a more mature brother in the faith. grin
what makes you to refer to me as a more mature brother in the faith?
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by truthislight: 5:20pm On Sep 27, 2012
Image123:
grin
Image123:
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by debosky(m): 11:31am On Sep 30, 2012
Image123:

Because of my interactions with you on previous threads - you give the impression of maturity (as much as can be discerned from a forum). grin
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by PastorKun(m): 12:48pm On Sep 30, 2012
debosky:

Because of my interactions with you on previous threads - you give the impression of maturity (as much as can be discerned from a forum). grin

He appears mature but when the issue of tithes comes up, he is totally dishonest and manipulative.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Image123(m): 5:18pm On Sep 30, 2012
debosky:

ok, it was just my doubts, i may be wrong.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by petres007(m): 9:56am On Oct 13, 2012
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by DrummaBoy(m): 11:22am On May 30, 2013
I stumbled on this thread on Peter 007's profile and was really impressed by the discuss on tithing there. Below Pastor Kun tries to make a summary of the event of the day

The report at last

Well the program held as scheduled even though i arrived late due to pressing business issues. The program was well attended with about 25-30 people in attendance and it lasted for about five hours. The program was divided into three sections; First was a very detailed exposition into the history and origins of biblical tithing and why God instituted it for the Jews, a detailed analysis of church tithing today and the disconnect between it and the one instituted in the bible, an analysis of Abraham's tithe which is used to justify tithes in churches today and the glaring disconect between it and what is preached in church today. furthermore more we were taught that as christians we are not under the law and we are not bound to keep jewish laws. More importantly we were warned that christians trying to keep aspects of the law are in danger of loosing their salvation as they are demonstrating they don't have enough faith in christ as expressed by Paul in Galatians 3:10 and Galatians 5:1-4. Since i was late for the program i missed out on the ealier parts but this i can say is the summary of what was taught to us there and of course this section was handled by Petres007 very nicely dressed in a very smart suit like a big time prosperity preacher.

The second part was a discussion forum, we were divided into two groups were attendees were able to discuss and and ask questions on the subject matter, in the group i was in most people agreed and understood that there was a major disconnect between tithing today and what obtained in the bible however we still had the "my pastor said" crowd who were finding it difficult to come to terms with the fact that their pastors had led them astray. At this point i decided to take charge of the discussion and dug into my rich repertoire of the subject matter in explaining to and convincing those would still had doubts about the subject matter. I dug basically into to church history and how tithing came to be practised in the church with the fianlly assertion that monetary tithing from income started in America less than 150 years ago so it is clearly a man made doctrine derived from twisting outdated biblcal doctrines that are not applicable to christians in the first instance. By the end of the discussion forum those who had sympathy for the tithe doctrine were dumbfounded and very quiet. One could easily tell that they had been touched by what was revealed to them and they would be having second thoughts on this false doctrine.

The final part was a question and answer forum which was handled by another co ordinator. At the end of the forum it was established that the tithing doctrine was very dangerous to christianity as it is the pillar on which several other false doctrines ravaging the church today are built. It is also the cornerstone of the prosperity gospel which is clearly inspired by the devil himself to distract christians from the true gospel of christ. It was also established that as christians we have to contend for the faith and not tolerate those adding 'little' lies to the gospel as a drop of poison is enough to poison a whole glass of water. In all it went very well and a good number of people were definitely delivered from the yoke of tithing placed on their lives by mere men.

@Petres007

You may wish to make some inputs as i came late and missed out on some parts of the program.

Peter 007 adds to what Kun leaves out here:

You very nicely summarized it all o. Although you left out some points which we discussed before you showed up. I'm pressed for time now so I'll just name the keypoints I believe we discussed before your arrival.

1. The biblical Purpose/Reason for the tithe.
2. The contents of the tithe. Was it money? Agric produce? Or both?
3. The recipientS of the tithe (as there were multiple, clearly identified recipients).
3. The (3) types of tithes - their purpose, how they were to be treated/handled, where, when, whom etc.
4. Those who biblically were tax tithe exempt (also recipients of the tithe).
5. Other instructions regarding tithing.

This isn't exhaustive and I'm not sure at which point you came in

Cheers!

Now Image 123 comes into the discuss and tried to makes an issue of the number of people in attendance

The program was well attended with about 25-30 people in attendance and it lasted for about five hours.
you for invite Bonnke na, that man dey pull crowd literally.

And Image gets a wonderful response from Mod Jesoul

Snr brother Image how body now? you're chiding uncle Kunle & agent 007 about the # of people...you should know better now. Where 2 or 3 are gathered. Plus its not the quantity of people there but rather the quality. One person can effect a change in a thousand, whereas a thousand can come, but yet no change in a single one - we see that everyday in naija - masses go to church almost daily but no change in the morality of the nation.

It was so apt.

I only wish the organizers of such event could video tape it next time and probably upload on you tube so that a thread like this can be complete and some of us can partake of the fellowship years after it is concluded
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by DrummaBoy(m): 11:47am On May 30, 2013
furthermore more we were taught that as christians we are not under the law and we are not bound to keep jewish laws. More importantly we were warned that christians trying to keep aspects of the law are in danger of loosing their salvation as they are demonstrating they don't have enough faith in christ as expressed by Paul in Galatians 3:10 and Galatians 5:1-4.

1. I realize that many of the churches that have their people under bondage never teach Pauline epistles and even if they refer to some of the doctrines, it is always in passing. There is not way an individual will understand the gospel of grace and still tithe. I began to question the tithe not from attending a meeting like the one Peter organized but by reading Paul's letters. Especially the one to Colosians chapter 2. So when those who know bette explained it to me, it was an "equal to" for me; I just accepted it as truth and stopped tithing.

Petres007 very nicely dressed in a very smart suit like a big time prosperity preacher.

Now this one got me roaring in laughter. I can imagine what it looks like bc I see those guys everyday. In fact in the next few days Bishop Elomobor is coming to my church and his frame fits one cartoon picture Pastor Kun puts up on his post sometimes (of a malnourished church member feeding an overweight Pastor). I have told my Pastor the next time that Bishop comes I would attend service. His type is the very reason many church folks have to re-examine the biblical basis of the doctrines they hear in church.

I dug basically into to church history and how tithing came to be practised in the church with the fianlly assertion that monetary tithing from income started in America less than 150 years ago so it is clearly a man made doctrine derived from twisting outdated biblcal doctrines that are not applicable to christians in the first instance.

Church is another strong argument against the tithe. Did our fathers tithe? When did we start to hear of tithing? Olaadegbu qouted R C Sproul as saying a letter in the first century spoke of Christians tithing. Then I ask, while the whole cannon of the NT was written they "forgot" to mention the tithe, why should we now use a letter after it was written to justify false doctrinal position.

By the end of the discussion forum those who had sympathy for the tithe doctrine were dumbfounded and very quiet. One could easily tell that they had been touched by what was revealed to them and they would be having second thoughts on this false doctrine.

I hope you all had a time of prayer to allow for God's Holy Spirit to reach men's heart on the issue, fully?

This is a truism. I had agonized over the state of the church for years but only came to understand why she is where she is today bc of the doctrine of tithe that places Christians in the position of servants and childrens when God will have us come into the position of Sons.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Image123(m): 11:54am On May 30, 2013
This fellow is actually in agony (from his words). He needs someone to argue tithe with him and perhaps make him fill fulfilled. Who will answer?
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by DrummaBoy(m): 2:45pm On May 30, 2013
Image123: This fellow is actually in agony (from his words). He needs someone to argue tithe with him and perhaps make him fill fulfilled. Who will answer?

Quite on the contrary. There is no argument for the tithe; and if you know my style quite well on NLs, I don't do well in arguments. I would rather loose an argument holding unto truth than win an argument and be deceived.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by Image123(m): 4:17pm On May 30, 2013
DrummaBoy:

Quite on the contrary. There is no argument for the tithe; and if you know my style quite well on NLs, I don't do well in arguments. I would rather loose an argument holding unto truth than win an argument and be deceived.

no wonder. Its called been spineless i.e having no backbone but been tossed by the current.
Re: Invitation To A Bible-based Discussion On The Tithing Ordinance & Christianity by PastorKun(m): 5:44pm On May 30, 2013
Image123:

no wonder. Its called been spineless i.e having no backbone but been tossed by the current.

It's still better than being a chronic + pathological liar like you who twists the word of God to fleece innocent believers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See What Donald Trump Said About The Ban Of Jehovah’s Witnesses In Russia / Here’s How Much Judas’ 30 Pieces Of Silver Worth In Today’s Money / Evidence That Allah Is Satan: From The Words Of Muhammad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.