Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,669 members, 7,823,893 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:33 PM

Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology - Health (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology (880032 Views)

Ultrasound Machine Training On Obstetrics Pregnancy & Pelvic Scan in 2016 / Questions And Answers In Obstetrics, Gynaecology And Reproductive Health Issues / Re: Doctor In The House:obstetrics And Gynecology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 12:29am On Apr 02, 2009
@ dereloaded
if the dating is correct which is difficult to determine without an ultrasound. It can be used for older but the rates of success is less. Either way, not something to be picked up and used without physician supervision.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 12:33am On Apr 02, 2009
@ go4gold
An amniotic fluid index of 16 is normal but I am concerned because you say she is leaking. The double bubble sign is seen in a condition called duodenal atresia, this may explain why there is so much fluid. I need to prepare you for the possibility that the baby might need surgery soon after delivery. Start doing research on the best hospitals for delivery. I would also monitor your wife for signs of infection just on the off chance that she has actually broken her water. Please keep me posted
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by jody(f): 12:26pm On Apr 02, 2009
@Katty
You lab work looks normal as far as the ovaries and brain. I am still concerned about your thyroid. If we are using the same units, the number for the t4 seems high which is why I think you need a TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) check.

thanks this is a bit of a relief.the Ref. value for t4 is 4.4-11.6. for the TSH i will talk to my gyn tommorrow if it can be tested since i will be doing the HSG then . hope this will be possible am not really down for another appointment.

My husband did sperm count test twice immediately after our wedding and the last one this year i think last month . according to him the first test they said he had infection and was given antibiotics. he said the only thing he could understand from the test is Abnormal sperm 80% while normal sperm 20%. the second test done reads ad normal sperm 60% while normal 40% but he still has infections. Will try and get comprehensive result from the hospital tomorrow but can you say anything with the above result. what drugs can he take because i feel the infection is causing the ad normal sperm to be high i.e it is destroying the sperm.

God bless you
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by obidia(f): 12:42pm On Apr 02, 2009
Doctor pls if a woman's mensural circle is like 26 to 28 days ,but mostly 28 days,wen is it likely for her to be ovulating.I hear people say like 12days or 14days after she starts her period depending on the hormones of the person. pls advice
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Evangelin: 9:30am On Apr 03, 2009
Dear Dr. Katty,

Thanks for your below response to my request. I have also attached my scanned result for FSH, LH, PROL, 21 DAYS PROG for you to tell me if it is ok. Specimen is blood

NORMAL RANGE

FSH - 2.3miu/ml Non-midcycle - <20
Midcycle - <40
Postmenopausal - 40 - 160
Prepubertal - <10

LH - 4.9miu/ml Base line - 5 - 20
Surge level - 40 - 200
Postmenopausal - 10 - 200

PROLACTIN - 20.0ng/ml 8.39 - 20.15

21 DAYS PROGEST. - 25.0ng/ml Follicular phase - 0.10 - 1.60
Luteal phase - 2.50 - 32.0
Post Menopausal - 0.06 - 1.60

Thanks for your kind gesture and response.

EVY

@ evangelin

No offense taken, truly. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable and I apologize if I did so. It looks like you are ovulating. Remember there is only a 20% chance of pregnancy even when you have sex on the exact date of ovulation. Your cycle is also on the longer side so this means you have less opportunities for fertilization. Be patient and please let me know how it goes
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by sparta(f): 11:33am On Apr 03, 2009
Hi doc.

Please, this is a bit urgent. I have a freind who has had staph and serious pile for more than five years, this things according to him affect his sex drive. He tries to avoid sex because he dosent want people to know his condition but now there is so much pressure from home that he should settle down ( he is 31 years old). He needs urgent help. What do you suggest the do?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by chioma24: 5:30pm On Apr 03, 2009
DEAR DOCTOR,
PLS CAN U EXPLAIN ME THIS WELL. I DIDN'T GET IT @ chioma24

2 days is short for a period but I wouldn't worry about the fibroid. Most women with fibroids will have longer, heavier periods not shorter ones

dear doctor@what should i do for short period and what cause it it?
thanks

@chioma
You can consider going on contraceptive pill
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by ayomifull(f): 7:58pm On Apr 03, 2009
@ KATTYEKITI

I honestly dont know what words to use now but it will be an understatement to say i am highly fascinated by the amount of time, thinking, efforts you put into this. You are absolutely a brilliant, helpful wonderful person. Only God will reward you for what you are doing for peole here. God bless you real good. Gbobgo wa la maa kere oko dele o.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by go4gold107(m): 8:59pm On Apr 03, 2009
Dear doc,

She has been admitted into the hospital for a "bed rest". Although she is still leaking water a bit, she has been given some antibiotics and Vitamin K to prepare for the "risk of bleeding" as you said. Currently, the doctor said he gave her a steroid to strengthen the lungs of the baby in the event of pre-term delivery. The doc is a bit reluctant to induce labor saying that he needs to buy more time in the interest of the baby.

Please kindly advice professionally what you would do in this kind of issue. I have already told the doctor I have an Ob who advices me and I forward all your advice to him.

Many thanks and God's Blessings shall never depart you.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by go4gold107(m): 9:01pm On Apr 03, 2009
Dear doc,

She has been admitted into the hospital for a "bed rest". Although she is still leaking water a bit, she has been given some antibiotics and Vitamin K to prepare for the "risk of bleeding" as you said.  Currently, the doctor said he gave her a steroid to strengthen the lungs of the baby in the event of pre-term delivery.  The doc is a bit reluctant to induce labor saying that he needs to buy more time in the interest of the baby.

Please kindly advice professionally what you would do in this kind of issue.  I have already told the doctor I have an Ob who advices me and I forward all your advice to him.

Many thanks and God's Blessings shall never depart you.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 8:15pm On Apr 04, 2009
i havent checked this thread in ages

by the way
where's titi#@%$$ (i think her name is titilayomi, not sure)
Dr. I'm sure you remember her
has she given birth yet
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by go4gold107(m): 2:16am On Apr 06, 2009
Doc,

God has done it again! She just delivered less than 2 hours ago! A bouncing baby girl. The baby was tied by a cord, so she had to be delivered through C/S. Baby and mother are doing very fine!

I will keep you updated. There was no bleeding!, although we made arrangement for blood, just in case.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by titilaelae(f): 10:58am On Apr 06, 2009
salsera:

i havent checked this thread in ages

by the way
where's titi#@%$$ (i think her name is titilayomi, not sure)
Dr. I'm sure you remember her
has she given birth yet

@Salsera, thanks for your care. I still dey and am doing well. By the grace of God I'll be 'free' in a matter of days. I've been off-work that's why you guys have not 'heard' from me.

@ Kathyekiti, una well done oh. I found myself online and I thought to check in here. Glad to see you're still impacting lives positively. May the good Lord continue to increase your wisdom.
    Am actually due, already within the 2wks b4 and 2wks after period. U may however not 'hear' from me till I resume from mat leave and then  I promise to post the baby's pix, (remember the reward u requested for wink).

go4gold107:

Doc,

God has done it again! She just delivered less than 2 hours ago! A bouncing baby girl. The baby was tied by a cord, so she had to be delivered through C/S. Baby and mother are doing very fine!

I will keep you updated. There was no bleeding!, although we made arrangement for blood, just in case.

@go4gold, Congrats! Am glad for you oh. May the good Lord keep and nurture the baby.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by jody(f): 12:32pm On Apr 06, 2009
@katty

i did my HSG test on fridY. it was really painfull.this was the result given to me

the uterus is outlined and it is wit um normal limit
Bolu fallopian tubes are outlined, normal peritoneal spillage is seen bilaterally.
conclusion- normal study.

the 2nd hormone test values

lutenizing hormone(HLH) 12miu/ml Ref.Values 4-20
follicle stimulating hormone(hfsh) 9 miu/ml Ref.Values 4-20
prolactin 36 miu/ml Ref.Values 6-24 females
progesterone 19 miu/ml Ref.Values 5-36

i was told that the prolactin is to high and i was given prolodel(Bromocriptin.ut mesilic) to be taken for 30days. then stimulation of the breast was equally advised to be stooped.i have started taken it but it is really given me some discomfort . I hope this will not affect me from getting pregnant on time.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Angee4real: 1:41pm On Apr 08, 2009
Please Drs. in the house i need your help because i'm afriad now. I've had dis symptom of stalococus for almost 10 years now not knowing in 2006 i went for medical test and was diagonise with this disease and treated with not seriously. Till now i didnt border to check myself if it still there or not but i'm still experiencing the symptom. It was just recently i heard that it can cause infertility and the thing is that am about getting married by the end of this year and i dont want to start wasting time in bearing children because i'm already 34 years by August. Please i really need help and advise. For years now i have been having my period just for 2 days and with dark and scanty period which i dont if it is cause by this inferion. I also want to know if the traditional medicine will be more active than the oyibo medicine
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by jody(f): 1:56pm On Apr 08, 2009
thanks for all your help. may god bless you
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by wakagirl: 7:21pm On Apr 08, 2009
Hello Dr, sorry if this is going to take your time i hope you will be able to take your time to help out and if not as obviously you have too many to answer, i'll take it in good faith.

My hubby is abroad and for some reasons i cant join him, he'll be back home in 1+ years. Now i am having difficulty getting pregnant, he has come home for this purpose 4 times in the last 1+ years when i think i will be ovulating only to realise it has not click.

Though i have read and read so much online i will give u my previous menstrual dates and will be greatful if you can tell me when i am likely to be fetile in July as he will be coming again then. and is there any drug i can take that can help.

oct 17
nov 22
dec24
jan26
feb 28
march31

Thank you very much in anticipation of your response anytime you are available to. God bless.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by gabbyolax: 1:39am On Apr 09, 2009
In need of sperm booster and infection curer!.

I was diagnosed of an infection that have been told affected my sperm count and thus need any drug that can boost my sperm cum anti-biotics.I have visited a certain herbal doctor in Lagos with my wife and we were both placed on some encapsuled herbs that costed so much,inspite of that there has been no seriosu changes after the last SFA(seminal fluid analysis) that i did.It's kinda put off all this herbal solutions to problems,thus i am in need of prescription tablets that can boost sperm so fastly(well within a month) and at the same time an anti-biotics that can get rid of toilet infection i.e staph et al.

Kindly state anyway i can get one here.

BTW,i am based in Nigeria thus any drug prescription should be given with the generic nomenclature just in case the prescribed name is elusive here.
Dr.Kathy,you doing a great JOB.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by maryElsam: 1:00pm On Apr 09, 2009
hi i am mary from Egypt
i got a baby 4 monthes ago he was born as "sleeping baby" and didn't got "crying" or any soud from the time of his birth, he still deteriorated until died, some doctors said he born with damege brain, the doctor who made the Caesarean Surgery, told me the water in plasinta was so dark, i wanna to know what happened.

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by ant01: 7:01pm On Apr 10, 2009
@Go4 Gold

congrats on the safe arrival, may God conitinue to protect your family!

@doctor,

Thanks for all your help,
As mentioned in previous posts about my friend who had a cone biopsy 4 years ago (about 1.2 mm was cut off after 2 biopsies) and miscarried her baby at 22 weeks dur to infection after a late stitch was put in at 18weeks at a time when her cervix was already 4cm opened,
before pregnancy her cervix was measuring 30mm,

now she is pregnant with twins! her doctor has said she will have a stitch at 12 weeks, and the prayer is that the cervix holds up,
what will your advice be for her in regards to keeping the pregnancy till at least 34 weeks,

thanks.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 2:37am On Apr 11, 2009
I am truly overwhelmed by all the good news today!!

@ go4gold
Congratulations! God is good!! I expect payment in the form of a posted picture ASAP. Enjoy your family, daddysmiley

@ant01
Congratulations! Your friend definitely needs the stitch. Her doctors might also give her weekly injections of 17-hydroxyprogesterone. She will need ultrasounds to make sure her cervix is not opening from the inside out (imagine a zipper) No heavy lifting, no sex. If the cervix begins to shorten, she may need to go on bedrest. Another thing that is simple but usually overlooked is hydration. She needs to make sure she stays well hydrated.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 2:42am On Apr 11, 2009
@ Mary elsam

My heart truly goes out to you and I am sorry to hear about your loss. I have a few questions, did you have high blood pressure? Was this your first pregnancy, if no, how many other pregnancies and how did you deliver? How old are you? Were you in labor before the delivery or was this a scheduled cesarean?

@gabbyolax

Have you had semen analysis recently? I keep hearing about staph "infections" In general, it is more likely a contaminant because it is quite prevalent on the skin. We all have it and can't get rid of it. Only in particular instances does it become a pathogen.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 2:55am On Apr 11, 2009
@wakagirl

Always glad to help. Your menstrual cycle is long 31-34 days which means you have less opportunities to get pregnant in a year. You have to realize that the chance of getting pregnant every month is only about 20%. Take heart. How long is your husband going to be home? You might need to consider taking clomid at a time to coincide with his visit.

@jody
You are most welcome. Keep me postedsmiley
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 3:03am On Apr 11, 2009
@angee4real
unfortunately, I only practice "oyibo" medicine and I don't know how well the "traditional" medicine works. Do you get a period every month? As I stated in other posts, staph is more likely a contaminant than a real infection. What symptoms are you experiencing?

@ jody
It can only help. Take heart. Keep me posted
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 3:05am On Apr 11, 2009
@ titilaelae
I expect expeditious paymentsmiley) I'm sooo excited!
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 3:11am On Apr 11, 2009
@ayomifull

Amin O!! Thanks for the kudos

@ chioma

The length of time of your periods doesn't necessarily have any bearing on your ability to have a baby.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 3:13am On Apr 11, 2009
@obidia

Your calculations are correct! Good luck

@ evangelin

Everything looks great. Good luck to you too
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 3:15am On Apr 11, 2009
@sparta

unfortunately, I am more a female doctor. I would suggest your friend take it up with his GP
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Nobody: 11:46pm On Apr 11, 2009
@titilaelae

safe delivery dear
@go4gold

congrats
@kathy

i'm a little concerned about my period
started to day 11th April
but its clotting and the flow is unusually ligtht for the first day

my last month's period started on the 13th March

for the last year or so my period last 3 days, its gradually reduced over the years
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 2:09am On Apr 14, 2009
@salsera
It is not unusual to have occasional "anovulatory" cycles where an egg is not released. Let's watch what happens.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by go4gold107(m): 7:33am On Apr 14, 2009
@ doc,

I have not been able to keep u updated for sometime now.

The baby was later operated on last wednesday surgically for antral stenosis and "annular pancreas" (can u please tell me what they mean by annular pancreas).  She looks very stable to me and she has started taking 5ml of dextrose water for the past 2 days every 2 hours.  So far, she has not thrown up and she has been stooling and unrinating.  She is also still being IV fed.  How long does it take to remove the stiches on a little baby after surgery?

My wife's C/S stitches are set to be removed on Thursday after the C/S last Monday.  She still complains of pains where the lower abdomen was cut if touched.  However, her abdomen still looks a bit big.  Is there anything to be done to reduce the size of her tummy? and what can she be taking to speed up healing internally?

Thx again doc.

Doc,

As at 17th April, some stitches has been removed from the baby and that of the mother was removed on the 16th.  However, the stiched area of the mother's tummy is still leaking some fluid.  The doctor confirmed that the liquid is not pus and there is no pus inside but however, the stomach area (right hand side) seems to be swollen.  He recommended some anti-biotics for her and 20 tabs of "chymoral" drug.  My wife complains of itching atimes in her tummy.  Also, she cant seem to hold down urine whenever she is pressed to ease her bladder.  She might start urinating before she gets to the convinience.  Please what needs to be done to all these issues I am facing now.

Many thanks and God's blessings in your life.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by jody(f): 9:47am On Apr 14, 2009
i did my HSG test on fridY i.e 3rd April 2009 it was really painfull.this was the result given to me

the uterus is outlined and it is wit um normal limit
Bolu fallopian tubes are outlined, normal peritoneal spillage is seen bilaterally.
conclusion- normal study.

the 2nd  hormone test values

lutenizing hormone(HLH) 12miu/ml  Ref.Values 4-20
follicle stimulating hormone(hfsh) 9 miu/ml  Ref.Values 4-20
prolactin 36 miu/ml  Ref.Values 6-24 females
progesterone 19 miu/ml  Ref.Values 5-36

i was told that the prolactin is to high and i was given prolodel(Bromocriptin.ut mesilic) to be taken for 30days. then stimulation of the breast was equally advised to be stooped.i have started taken it but it is really given me some discomfort . I hope this will not affect me from getting pregnant on time.

@ jody
It can only help.  Take heart.  Keep me posted

@katty
please Katty  i dont understand. will excess prolactin affect me from getting pregnant or will it help me to get pregnant?i don't understand your response. i really want to get pregnant like never before and i am a little worried saw blood stain from last friday till yesterday. what could be the cause of this i hope nothing serious? it didnt come out like normal period. thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (284) (Reply)

How Do I Calculate My Safe Period? / Anyone Trying IVF/IUI/ICSI (Fertility Treatments)? / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.