Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,025 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:30 AM

How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice (5459 Views)

$3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG / FG And States Shared N409.354bn Yesterday / Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by DeCleff(m): 9:46am On Sep 12, 2012
I've been thinking on how i can successfully sue FG/Shell for invading our family land without any compensation.

Sometime in the 90s, the Federal Govt & Shell under the regime of Late Gen. Sani Abacha, laid a pipeline from Port Harcourt Refinary to an unknown destination. But unfortunately, the pipeline was to pass through our farmland, and atleast 20 plots of land was taken from us without any form of compensation.

So am asking if there's any constitution that gave FG/SHELL the right to intimidate Nigerians and take away their lands without any compensation? Can the family demand for compensation by suing FG/SHELL to court?

Please i need sincere advice from the lawyers in Nairaland.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by k2039: 10:06am On Sep 12, 2012
Get Festus Keyamo or Fani Kayode or Femi Falana
They will help(they are anti federal goverment)

1 Like

Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by Acidosis(m): 10:18am On Sep 12, 2012
Draft your complaints and send to National assembly through the Honourable member representing your constituency..

The Lawyers would only eat your money.. few can stand and win a case against the F.G.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by Maxymilliano(m): 10:50am On Sep 12, 2012
Since you claimed the pipeline was laid in the 90s during Abacha's regime, how are you sure some of the community elders have not been compensated then?

Shell may have faulted in some of their operational areas but land encroachment is what the company don't joke with and i'm very certain some people have been duly compensated.

Do your homework very well before taking the plunge Bro.

4 Likes

Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by MadCow1: 10:53am On Sep 12, 2012
DeCleff: I've been thinking on how i can successfully sue FG/Shell for invading our family land without any compensation.

Sometime in the 90s, the Federal Govt & Shell under the regime of Late Gen. Sani Abacha, laid a pipeline from Port Harcourt Refinary to an unknown destination. But unfortunately, the pipeline was to pass through our farmland, and atleast 20 plots of land was taken from us without any form of compensation.

So am asking if there's any constitution that gave FG/SHELL the right to intimidate Nigerians and take away their lands without any compensation? Can the family demand for compensation by suing FG/SHELL to court?

Thanks.

Get a lawyer..
Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by wesley80(m): 11:19am On Sep 12, 2012
OP, the only person you should sue is OBJ. He promulgated the Land Use Act in 1976 under which technically, all lands belong to the govt and she has the authority to confiscate any land required. You cannot get very far with suing the federal government over land.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by DeCleff(m): 12:15pm On Sep 12, 2012
Maxymilliano: Since you claimed the pipeline was laid in the 90s during Abacha's regime, how are you sure some of the community elders have not been compensated then?

Shell may have faulted in some of their operational areas but land encroachment is what the company don't joke with and i'm very certain some people have been duly compensated.

Do your homework very well before taking the plunge Bro.
if they did pay the compensation, then we have to know who the money was paid to
Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by DeCleff(m): 12:20pm On Sep 12, 2012
Acidosis: Draft your complaints and send to National assembly through the Honourable member representing your constituency..

The Lawyers would only eat your money.. few can stand and win a case against the F.G.
i can't trust my case to our rep member cos he wont do anything abt it
Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by DeCleff(m): 12:22pm On Sep 12, 2012
k2039: Get Festus Keyamo or Fani Kayode or Femi Falana
They will help(they are anti federal goverment)
Abi
Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by denitro(m): 6:26pm On Sep 12, 2012
Congratulations!!!!
Start popping champagne...
Nigerians newest millionaire
Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by Afam4eva(m): 6:31pm On Sep 12, 2012
wesley80: OP, the only person you should sue is OBJ. He promulgated the Land Use Act in 1976 under which technically, all lands belong to the govt and she has the authority to confiscate any land required. You cannot get very far with suing the federal government over land.
He can't sue OBJ because OBJ did what he did on behalf of the government. So, he should be sueing the Jonathan government. BUt this is a case that has already been lost before it even started.

@OP
Where' in PH is your farmland located?
Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by purplekayc(m): 6:33pm On Sep 12, 2012
DeCleff: I've been thinking on how i can successfully sue FG/Shell for invading our family land without any compensation.

Thanks.

How much and how long do u think this will cost and last?
Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by misreal(m): 6:57pm On Sep 12, 2012
take ur mata to okija shrine nd remember dnt 4get to bring a human yanch for de sacrifice grin
Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by wesley80(m): 7:06pm On Sep 12, 2012
afam4eva:
He can't sue OBJ because OBJ did what he did on behalf of the government. So, he should be sueing the Jonathan government. BUt this is a case that has already been lost before it even started.

Of course he can't, I was only figuratively pointing him to whom to hold responsible.
Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by DeCleff(m): 7:36pm On Sep 12, 2012
afam4eva:

@OP
Where' in PH is your farmland located?
Along the pipeline close to the old toll gate along PH/ABA Road
Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by DeCleff(m): 7:38pm On Sep 12, 2012
misreal: take ur mata to okija shrine nd remember dnt 4get to bring a human yanch for de sacrifice grin
thats demonic bro.
Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by DeCleff(m): 7:45pm On Sep 12, 2012
purplekayc:

How much and how long do u think this will cost and last?
i don't know and thats why am seeking advice
Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by DeCleff(m): 8:07pm On Sep 12, 2012
denitro: Congratulations!!!!
Start popping champagne...
Nigerians newest millionaire
Guy no need to start pooping champagne cos i do even without the compensation.

But i decided to demand for compensation becos the discovery of oil in my community (ELELENWO IN RIVERS STATE) has done us much harm.
Do you know that Elelenwo has contributed so much to both Federal, state and LGA with atleast 25 oil wells and 3 major pipelines.
Yet we ration light and our road is in it worst state.
The state owned Tv and Radio stations are all located in Elelenwo.

The state govt deceived the community some years ago and collected hectres of land from us for cassava farming. But 2day the land has meant for farming has been turned into govt housing estate.

Recently the state govt invaded Elelenwo again with the deceit of building an international market and that cost the community 50 hectres of land wit a compensation of 200k/plot.

Can these happen in the north?
Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by duality(m): 8:53pm On Sep 12, 2012
guy, no need to sue. just go buy hose dey drain the petrol na..

keep 50 liters of petrol and 50,000 naira in case task force come. omo, u no suppose dey ask this kain question na... haba you no be naija again. otio!!!

1 Like

Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by ZeusI: 9:17pm On Sep 12, 2012
Wow! I wanted to advice you to kindly use your would be litigation money to purchase another land, but if they took some part, then, dear friend kindly keep mum smile when they pass by, all who ever tried FG are either dead, dying or mentally, financially and spiritually devastated, exept you belong. Saro wiwa? Abiola? Ogoni? Boko Haram? Et cetera. Just walk away.
Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by DeCleff(m): 10:02pm On Sep 12, 2012
Zeus I: Wow! I wanted to advice you to kindly use your would be litigation money to purchase another land, but if they took some part, then, dear friend kindly keep mum smile when they pass by, all who ever tried FG are either dead, dying or mentally, financially and spiritually devastated, exept you belong. Saro wiwa? Abiola? Ogoni? Boko Haram? Et cetera. Just walk away.
I am not stopping them from drilling the oil but for compensation. And as long as m concern my God is bigger thn FG
Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by ujchief(m): 11:10pm On Sep 12, 2012
U just woke up and discovered a pipeline in ur land? Since mid 90's and u're just bringin it up?
L'eme giv u a stup!d advice: u're not suposed to farm or build in a land ocupied by a pipeline. So i sugest u start erectin a fence around the land, this wil atract shel/fg to the site, when they get their, u can start making demands. . .
Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by tellwisdom: 11:13pm On Sep 12, 2012
DeCleff:
I am not stopping them from drilling the oil but for compensation. And as long as m concern my God is bigger thn FG

U dey give yourself hope aby??....Wetin u dey think since wey u knw raise the matter??--Since abacha regime... Na now wey u need money, u remember sey dem collect ur papa land.. sad sad.
Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by Nobody: 11:35pm On Sep 12, 2012
Usually under section 26 of the Land Use act and part 4 of the oil pipelines act, u should be able to claim compensation but the problem now is that the statute of limitation might be against you so u might not succeed. I would advice u consult a lawyer.

1 Like

Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by Navalsadiq(m): 11:50pm On Sep 12, 2012
IF OBAMA CAN THEN YOU CAN.BUT BEFORE YOU GO AHEAD MAKE ENQUIRIES OF HOW THE SUITS IN KIRIKIRI PRISONS ARE.DONT WORRY CLIFORD'S ROOM IS VACANT COS U MIGHT NEED IT.
Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by tellwisdom: 12:09am On Sep 13, 2012
Naval sadiq: IF OBAMA CAN THEN YOU CAN.BUT BEFORE YOU GO AHEAD MAKE ENQUIRIES OF HOW THE SUITS IN KIRIKIRI PRISONS ARE.DONT WORRY CLIFORD'S ROOM IS VACANT COS U MIGHT NEED IT.

grin grin grin grin **Rolls into the gutter** grin grin
Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by cdamsel(f): 12:30am On Sep 13, 2012
Serious issue & dey re all nowhere 2 b found...... undecided.like some1 pointed out,its possible compensation might have been paid in d past,if it wasnt den u re entitled 2 compensation,u don't just need any lawyer bt a "bulldog".I suggest u do ur homework cos shell don't pay their lawyers 4 notin
Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by james1(m): 12:47am On Sep 13, 2012
SHELL IS EVIL;they have mastered the art of deceit,aided by greedy Nigerians who don't care about their own people.
Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by tchaik(m): 1:20am On Sep 13, 2012

Thanks.

Forget it and save your hard earned money; the action is Statute Barred!

YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING!

SORRY BRO! I FEEL YOUR PAIN!
Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by Anaskie(m): 2:36am On Sep 13, 2012
This is a little bit tricky, but let me break it down for you. The Land Use Act vests all lands in a state, in the Governor of that state who shall hold such lands as a trustee for his people. However, this does not give the Governor the power to forcefully 'acquire' and occupy any land he likes as he deems fit.
Before any land can be 'acquired' by the Governor, it must be shown that he did it with good faith and for overriding public interests.
Now, the previous owner of the land is entitled to be compensated for any developments he has made on the land such as buildings, fences and even crops.
However, the problem with your case is that it happened many years ago. I believe that your action may not succeed because of the time lapse. Your case is now statute-barred. This is further reiterated by the doctrine of proprietary estoppel.
This is the best advice i can give you, because there may still be some little facts u've omitted. Its important you consult a lawyer cuz all hope isn't lost. Goodluck.
Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by glizengem(f): 6:49am On Sep 13, 2012
Naval sadiq: IF OBAMA CAN THEN YOU CAN.BUT BEFORE YOU GO AHEAD MAKE ENQUIRIES OF HOW THE SUITS IN KIRIKIRI PRISONS ARE.DONT WORRY CLIFORD'S ROOM IS VACANT COS U MIGHT NEED IT.
hahahahaha badt guy grin
hahahahaha badt guy
Re: How Can One Sue FG And Shell - Please Advice by glizengem(f): 6:51am On Sep 13, 2012
My dear no body wins a fight against d fg oo. Beta leave dem 4 God. God's compensation is gr8a Dan any of d fgs in d world

(1) (2) (Reply)

Could This Be True About Ojukwu In Abidjan / The Chategories Of People Who Don't Want Igbos In SW/NORTHERN NIGERIA...#FACTS. / Oil Fields In Igboland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.