Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,229 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:05 AM

Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments (6120 Views)

$3.5 Billion Loan: Femi Falana Threatens To Sue FG / Military Takes Over NNPC Pipelines In Lagos / Femi Falana Threatens To Sue Dangote, Oil Companies Over Accidents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by Abagworo(m): 7:42am On Dec 03, 2012
Lagos lawyer and activist, Mr. Femi Falana, has faulted the appointment of Messrs Steve Oronsanye and Ben Otti into the Board of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, which increases the statutory numbers of the board members from seven to nine.

He urged the government to review  the board appointment or face legal action.

Falana said the Federal Government should demonstrate sincerity in the fight against corruption in the oil sector.

He said it would be out of place for the government to ask the Minister of Labour and Productivity, Mr. Emeka Wogu to head the white paper committee on the Nuhu Ribadu-led Petroleum Revenue Special Task Force, PRSTF, since according to him, the minister was indicted in the alleged illegal payment of N2.7 billion to a company for fuel that was never supplied.

On Oronsaye and Otti, Falana said the appointment of the duo was “illegal, null and void as it violates Sections 2 & 3 of the NNPC Act, which provide that NNPC shall have six members and an alternate Chairman.

“Specifically, the Board shall consist of the Petroleum Minister, who shall be the Chairman; Managing Director of the NNPC; Director-General, Federal Ministry of Finance and Economic Development, and three persons appointed by the President and an alternate chairman.

“Instead of seven members, NNPC has nine members with the appointment of Messrs Oronsaye and Otti.”

He added that since the NNPC Act has not been amended to validate the increase in the membership of the board, Oronsaye and Otti should be removed.

He, however, vowed to pursue legal means to oust them if they were retained in the NNPC Board in contravention of the law the Federal Government

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/12/falana-threatens-to-sue-fg-over-nnpc-appointments/

1 Like

Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by k2039: 7:51am On Dec 03, 2012
Obviously,that's one case he knows he wont win.

Though I dont have a problem with his suit,just that I'm beginning to suspect this man has political ambitions,just trying to be popular.

Only a foo.l will quote my quote and before he does,he/she should know I dont have a problem with his suit but my big problem is with the judiciary in itself,our judiciary is corrupt and their are no salvages left,if he sues the FG in a court out side of Nigeria maybe he can win but not in a Nigerian court(not like the federal goverment doesnt know about the constitution governing NNPC),but expecting that Falana will win this case is just being plain stupi.d.

As it stands only a revolution will save this country not law suits
Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by Abagworo(m): 8:01am On Dec 03, 2012
k2039: Obviously,that's one case he knows he wont win.

Though I dont have a problem with his suit,just that I'm beginning to suspect this man has political ambitions,just trying to be popular.

I disagree with you. If the constitution says 7 and you appoint 9, that encourages lawlessness. That means it could as well be doubled to 14.

4 Likes

Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by k2039: 8:17am On Dec 03, 2012
Abagworo:

I disagree with you. If the constitution says 7 and you appoint 9, that encourages lawlessness. That means it could as well be doubled to 14.

Actualy,you disagree that what?
Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by taharqa: 8:56am On Dec 03, 2012

Why wud you say so. If he thinks he has a case, let him go ahead and try. We are always better off when our jurispudence is testd in these kind of circumstances

1 Like

Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by Gbawe: 9:19am On Dec 03, 2012

You should be careful making insinuations that belittles the genuine efforts of the patriotic and dedicated few who see things differently to the majority of prominent Nigerians who are indifferent generally or have even contributed negatively to give rise to what Nigeria is today. I think the likes of Falana , and Gani before him, are driven by the mantra "evil thrives when good men do nothing".

Falana, correctly, is quoting the provisions of the NNPC act and you are here talking for the sake of it. Where will the political sophistication and development of Nigerians emanate from if the likes of Falana just look on, like everyone else, to let politicians act with total impunity and as lawless as they want? If you fully understand the deep shite Nigeria is in, vis-a-vis Government arbitrariness and lawlessness plus institutional impotence, you will appreciate that we should be praying for far more Falanas to carry out checks-and-balance duty officially empowered authorities/institutions have derelicted.

16 Likes

Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by Demdem(m): 9:29am On Dec 03, 2012
Am with Falana on this and he is on point 100%.
Why the addition orosanye and Otti? whats the logic in there especially now that it goes against what the constitution stipulated.
The retardeen is simply in the business of increasing our sorrow as a nation.
Under him fuel importers were increased geometrically tearing down all checks and balances to prevent abuse thereby leading to the mess we now found ourselves.

3 Likes

Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by takedat(m): 9:35am On Dec 03, 2012
I am particularly concern of the rationale behind the appointment of Orosanye into the board of NNPC while still sitting on the board of CBN. There is a sinister motive behind his appointment to such strategic organisations, surely to Promote and Protect the "business" interest of GEJ

1 Like

Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by Okijajuju1(m): 9:38am On Dec 03, 2012
When I said this SAN is a lunatic that likes to sue anything, people said I ws being a bigot..

One day, Falana will sue himself for being mad...
Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by veraponpo(m): 9:39am On Dec 03, 2012
So, this is what Jonathan and Deziani or whatever her name is promised Orosanye when he was arguing with Ribadu on the assignment given to them.

I regret voting for Jonathan. Toooooo corrupt!!!!!
Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by honeric01(m): 9:45am On Dec 03, 2012
Just imagine the kind of posts we are seeing on this thread

Chai, are most Nigerians normal ni?

Okija_juju: When I said this SAN is a lunatic that likes to sue anything, people said I ws being a bigot..

Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by Nobody: 9:46am On Dec 03, 2012
Una never see anything grin grin grin grin grin. When we dey shout say make una no vote this fisherman we be like haters. U better sit back relax and enjoy his fresh FART grin

3 Likes

Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by kaycrystal(m): 9:47am On Dec 03, 2012
Okija_juju: When I said this SAN is a lunatic that likes to sue anything, people said I ws being a bigot..

like seriously, are u for real?? ur level of reasoning is so so crass...

3 Likes

Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by Okijajuju1(m): 9:49am On Dec 03, 2012
kaycrystal:

like seriously, are u for real?? ur level of reasoning is so so crass...

I know right?!

Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by lacasa: 9:57am On Dec 03, 2012
Igbo_hater: Una never see anything grin grin grin grin grin. When we dey shout say make una no vote this fisherman we be like haters. U better sit back relax and enjoy his fresh FART grin

On-Point
gringringrin
Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by taharqa: 10:01am On Dec 03, 2012
Igbo_hater: Una never see anything grin grin grin grin grin. When we dey shout say make una no vote this fisherman we be like haters. U better sit back relax and enjoy his fresh FART grin
Mumu-ish! What do you think dis topic is about? Smone is going to test a particular law in a case whose details we know very little about, and eediots like u are already politicising it... Silly bunch of LOOSERS
Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by Gbawe: 10:03am On Dec 03, 2012
honeric01: Just imagine the kind of posts we are seeing on this thread

Chai, are most Nigerians normal ni?

Man mi, sometimes, it makes one want to cry for Nigeria. Falana reveals the total arbitrariness and disregard for the law with which the Country is being run and some are distractingly only able to contribute silly comments while ignoring the very grave subject matter.

Ordinarily, Nigerians, if politically sophisticated, should be enraged by this adhoc and disdainful disregard for legal provisions. If the NNPC act stipulates that the number of board members for the parastatal should be 7 why has it now gone up to 9 with the appointment of Orasanye and Otti?

Are we just a daft people or is the wider implication not obvious? I.e the thought that this same lawlessness is routine in every aspect and area of the administration of Nigeria under this government?

1 Like

Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by ujchief(m): 10:04am On Dec 03, 2012

this is the most stupìd comment u've made on Nl, and believe me, there are loads of other stupìd ones!
Falana made a case against Nnpc by quoting laws guiding same Nnpc, tell me, did he pull out the law from his arsè? Smh!

3 Likes

Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by k2039: 10:08am On Dec 03, 2012
Gbawe:

You should be careful making insinuations that belittles the genuine efforts of the patriotic and dedicated few who see things differently to the majority of prominent Nigerians who are indifferent generally or have even contributed negatively to give rise to what Nigeria is today. I think the likes of Falana , and Gani before him, are driven by the mantra "evil thrives when good men do nothing".

Falana, correctly, is quoting the provisions of the NNPC act and you are here talking for the sake of it. Where will the political sophistication and development of Nigerians emanate from if the likes of Falana just look on, like everyone else, to let politicians act with total impunity and as lawless as they want? If you fully understand the deep shite Nigeria is in, vis-a-vis Government arbitrariness and lawlessness plus institutional impotence, you will appreciate that we should be praying for far more Falanas to carry out checks-and-balance duty officially empowered authorities/institutions have derelicted.

I wish you are right,but lets be objective and realistic here,do you think the presidency in itself doesnt know about the constitution as it relates to NNPC.

Only a foo.l will believe something will come out of this,our judiciary has failed us and their are no salvages left except a revolution takes place.
Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by honeric01(m): 10:11am On Dec 03, 2012
Gbawe:

Man mi, sometimes, it makes one want to cry for Nigeria. Falana reveals the total arbitrariness and disregard for the law with which the Country is being run and some are distractingly only able to contribute silly comments while ignoring the very grave subject matter.

Ordinarily, Nigerians, if politically sophisticated, should be enraged by this adhoc and disdainful disregard for legal provisions. If the NNPC act stipulates that the number of board members for the parastatal should be 7 why has it now gone up to 9 with the appointment of Orasanye and Otti?

Are we just a daft people or is the wider implication not obvious? I.e the thought that this same lawlessness is routine in every aspect and area of the administration of Nigeria under this government?

I believe the bolded is the case here, i now believe why Nigeria is like this is because of the way majority reason, there's nothing like civility and exposure in Nigeria, those educated are nothing but paper literates and not what we take them to be.

Normally, every educated (formal school) persons in this country are suppose to have basic knowledge of our constitution and laws, but how many graduates in Nigeria can name 36 states in Nigeria with their capitals without having to cheat? how many even know which governor is for which state not to talk of knowing how many number of people are suppose to be on the board of NNPC? we have illiterates roaming about Nigeria with various worthless certificates.

A country is suppose to be judged by how politically sound her citizens are and how economically savvy they are and not by how many useless and worthless certificates they have acquired.

Lastly, what then is the essence of all the certificates if majority of Nigerians that went to school can't even question their government when it comes to the rule of law and respect for the constitution? embarassed embarassed embarassed sad

2 Likes

Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by k2039: 10:13am On Dec 03, 2012
Gbawe:

At the end of the case we will know who are really daft,those who believe something will come out of this or those who believe otherwise.

Frankly if he takes the federal goverment to a court outside the shores of Nigeria he may win,but sueing federal goverment in a Nigeria court on this particular matter and believing he will win is just being plain stupi.d and those also believing he will win are just extremely stupi.d as well
Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by Emilord(m): 10:13am On Dec 03, 2012
I support falana on this issue.if the enabling status setting the NNPC states that the board should contain not more than seven people,and appointing another two persons making it nine.that to me is ultra-vires,and should be dumped at the bud.See corruption entails nothing but doing the wrong thing when the right thing is available.Go Falana....!!!
Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by okeyxyz(m): 10:15am On Dec 03, 2012

you just could not resist the urge to put forward silly opinions.

1 Like

Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by PosCaricature: 10:18am On Dec 03, 2012

I do not think you have any point there. Femi Lalana is only using his position to right the wrong in the Nigeria society. He has been a very popular & a successful legal practitioner long ago.

1 Like

Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by Abagworo(m): 10:22am On Dec 03, 2012
okeyxyz:

I think he's being sarcastic or has given up on Nigeria.
Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by Demdem(m): 10:22am On Dec 03, 2012
k2039:

At the end of the case we will know who are really daft,those who believe something will come out of this or those who believe otherwise.

Frankly if he takes the federal goverment to a court outside the shores of Nigeria he may win,but sueing federal goverment in a Nigeria court on this particular matter and believing he will win is just being plain stupi.d and those also believing he will win are just extremely stupi.d as well

Individuals and even states like Lagos have at one time or the other sued the FG to court and won. Its possible. Those guys up there are noted to do things with impunity so expecting them to always follow the law of the land is quite much for them.

1 Like

Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by luc26(f): 10:26am On Dec 03, 2012
Dis is nigeria period!!!am sure if falana was appointed he wouldn't have said no so y d noise?
Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by PointB: 10:28am On Dec 03, 2012
Are there no better things Falana should agitate? I mean aside from this political posturing? For example probing into the corruption, nepotism, and fiefdom that Lagos State Government has turn out to become under fashola and his godfather Tinubu. Surely cleaning up Lagos State will have massive effect on Nigerians, and Nigeria, no?
Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by ujchief(m): 10:28am On Dec 03, 2012
Interesting! So minister of labour and productivity was indicted in the subsidy probe, N2.7 bil payed to 'his' company. These are the cabals Gej is scared to fight, all protected under the umbrella of pdp. Come 2015, he will come home to contest the gubernitorial election in my state, magically scaling thru all screening exercise, both from INEC, Efcc, icpc et al since hes under the umbrella. Gej and pdp are the bane of democracy in this country!
Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by PointB: 10:31am On Dec 03, 2012
Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by seanet01: 10:32am On Dec 03, 2012

You need mental rehabilitation

1 Like

Re: Falana Threatens To Sue FG Over NNPC Appointments by k2039: 10:33am On Dec 03, 2012
okeyxyz:

And do you realy have a problem with that.

Atleast the other's where objective enough to fault my point but your's was just extremely stupi.d.

(1) (2) (Reply)

''we Stole Your Money And Gave You 20 Pounds'' A Yoruba Caller On Radio Biafra / President Obama Breaking His Fast At White House (pic) / BREAKING NEWS - Audu Wins Kogi Governorship Election - Thisday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.