Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,160 members, 7,845,818 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 04:54 AM

Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! (10942 Views)

My Marriage Is Crashing, I Think I Hate Him...Help / My 2 Months Old Marriage Is Crashing - HELP ME / Marriage Is BORING! Fact! Soul mate or JUST MATES? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by Nobody: 4:26pm On Feb 28, 2013
Oahray: believers in what or whom?

I thought you were actually reading the posts on this thread just like I read yours.
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by Oahray: 4:31pm On Feb 28, 2013
Ihedinobi:

I thought you were actually reading the posts on this thread just like I read yours.
I want your answer. In my post I ASSUMED the op meant christianity. Is that what you mean too?
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by DeAdvocate: 4:45pm On Feb 28, 2013
Ihedinobi: Actually this is completely true. And the fact that believers also fail at it does not make it any less true. It just makes it tragic. What marriage is, in reality, is a grafting of two living plants to make them one. The unbeliever is by definition dead, the believer is very much living. When two believers agree to share their lives and seek the blessing of the Lord and His Church in this regard, true marriage happens. This kind of marriage is in the truest sense unbreakable and irrevocable as far as the Lord is concerned. Even divorce does not break it. This is because it is first spiritual and then material.

Two unbelievers are too dead to be found in the courts of the Prince of Life. A dead plant cannot be grafted into a living tree nor can it be done the other way around. So the marriage of a believer and an unbeliever is a lie. It is only possible as long as the unbeliever is pleased to remain in it.

None of this means that two unbelievers cannot make a great "marriage", after all, Satan does masquerade as an angel of light and Babylon has been shown to be capable of beauty, even if it is a beauty that covers incredible ugliness. Nor does it mean that two believers cannot make a terrible marriage, just that even the worst possible marriage between two believers is still very much a marriage in the eyes of the Lord and will never rank among the marriage of unbelievers. What's more, however bad the marriage of two believers could get, the Lord Who built that house can fix it and make it better than it ever was, after all, He is the God of Resurrection, is He not?

So, yes, my brother, you are right. And no, my sister, your spirit is wrong.
TOTAL BULLSHIT.
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by Nobody: 4:46pm On Feb 28, 2013
Oahray: I want your answer. In my post I ASSUMED the op meant christianity. Is that what you mean too?

That only means that you have not been reading the posts on this thread. That was not my first post when I responded to you specifically.

In any case, yes, I mean Christianity.
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by Image123(m): 4:52pm On Feb 28, 2013
but it is not good for a man to be alone, how many believers have unbelieving parents na?
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by adebiyikayode5: 5:03pm On Feb 28, 2013
tony1980: You can't get into marriage unless you totally believe in it.
marriage s 4 believer using God, adam & eve as case study.betw GOD & Adam there was divine relatnshp with strid instruction dat go with punishm if he disobey,now eve came what happen Adam left his duty post which give room desceitn with outrage disobey.u & i know d rest story.their action put deir unborngeneratn into harshp & pain which u & i share,nw yr marriage miss d covenet purpose of God = hashsp & pain which soceity s nw experince&,evry negative occurance s a product fail marriges & home.d questn what kind humanbeing yr family homes marriage droping inside society Gods bless nigerian
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by adebiyikayode5: 5:05pm On Feb 28, 2013
tony1980: You can't get into marriage unless you totally believe in it.
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by pak: 5:08pm On Feb 28, 2013
DeAdvocate: TOTAL BULLSHIT.

Don't mind him.

He's one leopard who can never change his spots.
Posting hypocritical jargon all over the net.

So if I am a muslim or Budha. I am not permitted to marry ba ? This sounds sick

How in the world are these guys different from Boko Haram when they don't realise the need to respect and have regard for other people's opinions and way of life.

Even the holy bible which they claim to follow make reference to the 'Husbands' and/or 'wife' of people who were not Christian showing that one way or the other even God recognizes those union
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by pak: 5:12pm On Feb 28, 2013
Sisi_Kill: Believers of what. . .

Polyandry?
Polygamy?
Open Marriage?
Co-Habitation?
Meeenage à trois?

Gosh there are so many things to believe in, yes? cheesy cheesy

I feel you sister.

And by the way, my 1000th Post on Nland is a response to sisi kill's posting. Now that's cool
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by Oahray: 5:16pm On Feb 28, 2013
Ihedinobi:

That only means that you have not been reading the posts on this thread. That was not my first post when I responded to you specifically.

In any case, yes, I mean Christianity.
Alright, Abraham, Noah, David, Samuel, Moses and a host of others were not christians. Were they unrighteous for that sole fact? I'm sure that answers your question.

Even Jesus says everyone cannot be on the road to life, so your question whether everyone should be a believer is unnecessary.

It saddens me when I see many fellow Christians acting all self-righteous cos of a religious name-tag when their lives are the very opposite of what they profess.

Marriage was not established for christians only. It is like life, everyone alive has a right to it. Being TRUE christian can only make your marriage better just as it can improve the quality of one's life.

There is a supposed man of God in Nigeria that has divorced twice now. What went wrong?

1 Like

Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by Nobody: 5:23pm On Feb 28, 2013
Oahray: Alright, Abraham, Noah, David, Samuel, Moses and a host of others were not christians. Were they unrighteous for that sole fact? I'm sure that answers your question.

Even Jesus says everyone cannot be on the road to life, so your question whether everyone should be a believer is unnecessary.

It saddens me when I see many fellow Christians acting all self-righteous cos of a religious name-tag when their lives are the very opposite of what they profess.

Marriage was not established for christians only. It is like life, everyone alive has a right to it. Being TRUE christian can only make your marriage better just as it can improve the quality of one's life.

There is a supposed man of God in Nigeria that has divorced twice now. What went wrong?

smiley My friend, let's just talk, shall we? No need bashing all Christian's heads in when there's one who'd gladly absorb all your rage, mm.

What would you say Christianity is?
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by Nobody: 5:27pm On Feb 28, 2013
Oahray: Alright, Abraham, Noah, David, Samuel, Moses and a host of others were not christians. Were they unrighteous for that sole fact? I'm sure that answers your question.

smiley My friend, let's just talk, shall we? No need bashing all Christian's heads in when there's one who'd gladly absorb all your rage, mm.

And, that response of yours to my question is very unfortunate. It simply asked for your conception of utopia. Are you afraid to share your ideal view of life with me?
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by Gloriagee(f): 5:29pm On Feb 28, 2013
Not contradictory! Realistic and Honest? Yes

Ihedinobi:

Your answers are contradictory, or they appear so. Why's that?
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by Oahray: 5:32pm On Feb 28, 2013
Ihedinobi:

what is the correlation between the "a supposed man of God" I wrote and the "all christian heads" you translated it to be? For the sake of honesty, do not misquote me.

I simply pointed out something and asked what happened. I'm sure you know the pastor I'm talking about. If you do not know why or think the answer would be embarassing, you can skip the question instead of attempting to turn tables cunningly.

Going into the definition of christianity is an unnecessary deviation. The question is: Is marriage meant for christian believers only? Let's not derail.
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by Jephyard(m): 5:43pm On Feb 28, 2013
So for your mind na only believers dey practice true marriage. Confused Christian on d loose, may God help you.
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by TableLeg(m): 5:44pm On Feb 28, 2013
m.k.o2005:
Marriage is meant originally for believers !
Will you shut the fu...ck up and crawl back into that cave you came out of!
Mad man
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by Oahray: 5:45pm On Feb 28, 2013
Ihedinobi:
And, that response of yours to my question is very unfortunate. It simply asked for your conception of utopia. Are you afraid to share your ideal view of life with me?
The question deserves that kind of answer, because it is full of fantasy in itself and a deliberate attempt at dodging the bone of contention which is marriage and christianity.

If every human believed and obeyed God right from Adam, there would have been no need for Christ to come. The Bible also contains prophecy of the end times or last days. If you were familiar with the bible you'd know these things cannot happen if everyone becomes a christian in the real sense of the word.

Since you want a direct answer, No. It's imposible for everyone to become a believer just as it is for impossible for humans to go live on the sun.
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by Oahray: 5:49pm On Feb 28, 2013
Jephyard: So for your mind na only believers dey practice true marriage. Confused Christian on d loose, may God help you.
As in eh... Churchgoers are fast becoming bigger bigots than muslims. It's shameful.
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by Nobody: 5:53pm On Feb 28, 2013
Gloriagee: Not contradictory! Realistic and Honest? Yes

Perhaps you only meant to be honest and realistic, but why would you accept that being a believer without qualification is better than being an unbeliever without qualification when you do not accept that even a morally "sick" believer is better than a morally "healthy" unbeliever? Either you accept that the whole spectrum of believers is entirely superior to the whole spectrum of unbelievers or else you think there is an overlap such that sometimes the unbeliever is better than the believer and is more deserving of heaven and God's promises than the believer is?

Which is it, sis?

Edited
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by Giditinz(m): 6:12pm On Feb 28, 2013
Marriage is a universal concept. It's not just a question of believer and unbeliever but of recognizing the fact that it's a fundamental part of human existence. Now different cultures and religions subscribe to varying ideas of marriage e.g polygamy... However, Christian marriage strongly holds to monogamy: the union of one man and one woman. And down through history, this has been the most common and fulfilling type of marriage (ask married people). Christian marriage also extols the sanctity of marriage as a sacrament, a bond between one man and one woman who have agreed to live together, loving one another, been open to life and engendering a posterity.

The unspeakable has happened in our 21st Century. A few influential people in media and govt circles are attempting to redefine the concept of Marriage. Please what has been put in nature by its creator, let no human put asunder! Let's all preserve the dignity of marriage whether you are a believer or an unbeliever.
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by ClemAmaweh(m): 6:23pm On Feb 28, 2013
Please,don't be little Nairaland with Childish and Parochial Assumptions!!![color=#990000][/colo angryr]
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by Nobody: 6:24pm On Feb 28, 2013
Oahray: what is the correlation between the "a supposed man of God" I wrote and the "all christian heads" you translated it to be? For the sake of honesty, do not misquote me.

I wasn't talking about the "supposed man of God". I was talking about all Christians. You appear to have some sort of vendetta against Christianity.

I simply pointed out something and asked what happened. I'm sure you know the pastor I'm talking about. If you do not know why or think the answer would be embarassing, you can skip the question instead of attempting to turn tables cunningly.

I don't care about the pastor you're talking about. I think it's Chris Okotie you mean, but I care nothing for his example. However, I said already that the failure of Christians at marriage does not take away from the truth of the post. And I explained that. If you'd bothered to read my posts at all you would have understood.

And, no, there's no cunning in me.

Going into the definition of christianity is an unnecessary deviation. The question is: Is marriage meant for christian believers only? Let's not derail.

Well, if the question is about Christian believers, it's only right that we should agree on who a Christian believer is, not so? It's not derailing, my friend, it's being thorough. If we'll discuss, we should at least establish a common ground.

Oahray: The question deserves that kind of answer, because it is full of fantasy in itself and a deliberate attempt at dodging the bone of contention which is marriage and christianity.

No, my friend, it is neither full of fantasy nor a dodge. You insisted that marriage was for all humans not Christians alone. My question was simply to know why you think Christianity exists. Is Christianity just a patch in the tapestry or is it the Grand Design itself?

If Christianity is God's goal for the world, then ideally every human should be a Christian. In fact, the Bible says that God commands every man everywhere to repent and be saved. If we all obeyed, we'd all be Christians, no?

And if we all became Christians, what would happen to marriage then? Would there still be different conceptions of it that God would have to tolerate?

If every human believed and obeyed God right from Adam, there would have been no need for Christ to come. The Bible also contains prophecy of the end times or last days. If you were familiar with the bible you'd know these things cannot happen if everyone becomes a christian in the real sense of the word.

That first sentence was right on the money. As for the rest, I didn't ask for reality, I asked for an idealistic answer. Surely you appreciate the difference.

Since you want a direct answer, No. It's imposible for everyone to become a believer just as it is for impossible for humans to go live on the sun.

I did not ask the question you answered here.

Oahray: As in eh... Churchgoers are fast becoming bigger bigots than muslims. It's shameful.

My brother, (you are a Christian, no?) Jesus Himself could be considered a bigot if we were to apply your standards to Him.
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by wirinet(m): 6:53pm On Feb 28, 2013
This is the most stupid crap i had ever read on nairaland. It shows the OP and is supporters have not gone beyond the confines of his church or believe anything outside the dictates of his pastor. Even the bible have the Jews marrying people of other faiths. Were your grand parents not supposed th be married before the white men introduced Christianity? If they were not supposed to be married, how would you have come into existence. What about the billions of adherents of other faiths, they should not Marry? Then which of the Christian denomination should marry? Your particular church? Word of life churches? Catholics? other orthodox churches? Mormon church? celestial church? oluma olumba church?

You statement is as stupid as saying only Christians are meant to have babies, or only Christians are meant to be buried, or only Christians are meant to pray.
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by jmoore(m): 6:55pm On Feb 28, 2013
Baby christians and their poor understanding!!

Marriage is meant for human beings only!!
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by Nobody: 7:04pm On Feb 28, 2013
jmoore: Baby christians and their poor understanding!!

Marriage is meant for human beings only!!

If you say so. smiley
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by wirinet(m): 7:19pm On Feb 28, 2013
So what should the other billions of non Christians be doing with their se.xual and family life? They should either be castrated or be se.xless and childless for life. Or better still revel in funication without the worries of commitment.

Are you sure your Christian sisters you support your views?
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by wazobiaforu(m): 7:48pm On Feb 28, 2013
Ihedinobi:

If you say so. smiley

Infact i feel like slapping you for finding ways to turn the Bible upside down
I can say it with all Mouth that you have been brainwashed already before you start reading the Bible so you only see what your mind was build on
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by Nobody: 8:05pm On Feb 28, 2013
Giditinz: Marriage is a universal concept. It's not just a question of believer and unbeliever but of recognizing the fact that it's a fundamental part of human existence. Now different cultures and religions subscribe to varying ideas of marriage e.g polygamy... However, Christian marriage strongly holds to monogamy: the union of one man and one woman. And down through history, this has been the most common and fulfilling type of marriage (ask married people). Christian marriage also extols the sanctity of marriage as a sacrament, a bond between one man and one woman who have agreed to live together, loving one another, been open to life and engendering a posterity.

The unspeakable has happened in our 21st Century. A few influential people in media and govt circles are attempting to redefine the concept of Marriage. Please what has been put in nature by its creator, let no human put asunder! Let's all preserve the dignity of marriage whether you are a believer or an unbeliever.
AND EVEN UR BELOVED CHURCH LEADERS WHO CAN DO NO WRONG HAVE JOINED THE BANDWAGON OF PEOPLE WHO SOIL THE SANCTITY OF MARRIAGE & U CALL THRM BELIEVERS MTSCHEEEEWWW angry
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by Nobody: 8:21pm On Feb 28, 2013
wazobia_for_u:

Infact i feel like slapping you for finding ways to turn the Bible upside down
I can say it with all Mouth that you have been brainwashed already before you start reading the Bible so you only see what your mind was build on

No need to strangle yourself with anger, my friend. Just show me how wrong I am and earn the right to call me foolish. wink
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by Nobody: 8:24pm On Feb 28, 2013
wirinet: So what should the other billions of non Christians be doing with their se.xual and family life? They should either be castrated or be se.xless and childless for life. Or better still revel in funication without the worries of commitment.

Are you sure your Christian sisters you support your views?

You really should read my posts, at least. The op has not been on this thread. I bumped it up and offered an explanation. Just show me where my explanation falls short.
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by poshpimkiey(f): 9:46pm On Feb 28, 2013
U do realise, That marriage existed Before religion... And if u say believers, as in christains or all religious persons?
Re: Marriage Is Meant For Believers Only ! by Reference(m): 10:07pm On Feb 28, 2013
Kobojunkie: It is ? ROFLMAO!!!

Let me guess because believers who marry don't experience the same problems non-believers do in marriage? And all persons who are believers today were born from other believers?? undecided undecided undecided undecided

This is exactly the slippery slope many people tumble down. Let me say this loud and clear. Christianity does not exempt people from trouble. It doesn't excuse people from challenges. It does not shield from temptations and it cannot prevent trials.

The Christian experience is all about triumphing over... The faith it sells is all about believing for.... The peace Jesus gives is NOT like the world gives even if one million pastors say so.

God instituted marraige in circumstances that He found at the beginning before sin came into this world. It is divine and without the individuals involved being put together just as it was in the beginning any union cannot fulfil His purpose. To God you may just be friends.

It is not about feelings, love, conflict, challenges. It is about purpose.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Can We Say About Moral Decadence In Nigeria / Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? / #OPINION : Does Marriage Even Make Sense Anymore?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.