Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,723 members, 7,816,975 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:52 PM

Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus (9607 Views)

7 Tips On Starting A Business After You Have Lost Your Job! / Restrictions Placed On Website: Focus On Vconnect / Have Lost My Admin Password For Cpanel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus by Afam4eva(m): 12:34pm On Sep 17, 2012
Dual Core: Eyowo is still down, not a word from these guys... not even a Twitter update. Last twitter update was in April and it reads "We apologize to our customers for the downtime. A network glitch at the data center where our server is housed was responsible. We are back". Downtimes look like a household name with Eyowo.

Looking at a whois on eyowo.com now is making me pissed:
Namesevers
Name Server.......... ns1.rapidswitch.com
Name Server.......... ns2.rapidswitch.com

These dudes are running their site (the main site at least) on shared hosting. angry
WOW!!
Re: Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus by DualCore1: 12:36pm On Sep 17, 2012
Just my speculations based on the WHOIS. This is your field too afam so you can do your checks and let us know what you think. These are just my speculations based on the lookups i have checked.
Re: Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus by Afam4eva(m): 12:50pm On Sep 17, 2012
Dual Core: Just my speculations based on the WHOIS. This is your field too afam so you can do your checks and let us know what you think. These are just my speculations based on the lookups i have checked.
Rapidshare seems to be offering dedicated and related hosting service, so i want to assume that they're running a dedicated server. But then again shouldn't the nameserver be customized? I'm still doing some research...
Re: Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus by slightlyMad(f): 1:15pm On Sep 17, 2012
afam4eva:
Rapidshare seems to be offering dedicated and related hosting service, so i want to assume that they're running a dedicated server. But then again shouldn't the nameserver be customized? I'm still doing some research...

yes you are on point, they can run their own DNS
Security starts from hiding simple details like your host server provider
Re: Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus by Nobody: 1:54pm On Sep 17, 2012
No Shared Hosting on RapidSwitch. They're strictly Dedicated. Used to have a server on there.

But then I agree with the part where this info should be hidden. Doesn't take much to register a Custom Nameserver.

But then, that's on the side. Why is their main site down? Not even the client panel?

Enough to make one panic, I'd say.
Re: Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus by moty4all: 6:31pm On Sep 17, 2012
Back online.
Re: Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus by LeonardI: 8:47pm On Sep 17, 2012
Dear All,

We sincerely apologise for the downtime. Yes, this may sound like another of many apologies. The system went down at our data centre and has been fully restored.

I actually read the entire thread and it appears most comments were posted by those who have little understanding of IT systems. Issues do arise with IT systems and unfortunate issues like this occurs. It does not mean the company is incompetent. Even recently, Natwest Bank in the UK had their entire system down for about 2 days and no transaction could take place. I need you to take a minute to visualise what that means to businesses and the amount of money that was lost. We need to encourage young companies in Nigeria and not come just online to make comments. How many of you out their have had the courage to start up a small business? You need to understand its not easy running a business in Nigeria. The running cost of IT infrastructure is so expensive. If you haven't done anything before, I don't think you should be out there making comments that don't hold water. Encourage Nigerians that are trying and you would one day be proud to be a Nigerian.

For the person who made comments about shared hosting, for your information it is not. I really shouldn't be explaining the whole setup to you.

Sincere apologies once again

Kind Regards

1 Like

Re: Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus by Nobody: 9:32pm On Sep 17, 2012
Leonard.I:
Dear All,

We sincerely apologise for the downtime. Yes, this may sound like another of many apologies. The system went down at our data centre and has been fully restored.

I actually read the entire thread and it appears most comments were posted by those who have little understanding of IT systems. Issues do arise with IT systems and unfortunate issues like this occurs. It does not mean the company is incompetent. Even recently, Natwest Bank in the UK had their entire system down for about 2 days and no transaction could take place. I need you to take a minute to visualise what that means to businesses and the amount of money that was lost. We need to encourage young companies in Nigeria and not come just online to make comments. How many of you out their have had the courage to start up a small business? You need to understand its not easy running a business in Nigeria. The running cost of IT infrastructure is so expensive. If you haven't done anything before, I don't think you should be out there making comments that don't hold water. Encourage Nigerians that are trying and you would one day be proud to be a Nigerian.

For the person who made comments about shared hosting, for your information it is not. I really shouldn't be explaining the whole setup to you.

Kind Regards

This is crazy.... angry angry angry
Re: Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus by Afam4eva(m): 9:38pm On Sep 17, 2012
Leonard.I:
Dear All,

Kind Regards
Dude keep your dirty apologies to yourself. You came here to insult our intelligence and you're here expecting us to sing kumbaya and continue with our lives like nothing happened. What exactly is your position in Eyowo because you're not competent enough to speak on behalf of any company that wants to go far. You lack common customer relation skills. Just look at what you posted and tell me why you should not be sacked. Nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus by databoy247(m): 11:03pm On Sep 17, 2012
Now the fight begins grin

Anyway, we all know that running a business in Nigeria is not an easy task. But like my mother always says, there is no easy chill pill like the word "sorry". You wont incure running cost for apologizing to your customers and maybe they wont sue you.

2 Likes

Re: Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus by Nobody: 12:07am On Sep 18, 2012
Re: Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus by Seun(m): 2:15am On Sep 18, 2012
@Leonard I: You should just offer an unreserved apology, and make sure it never happens again. That's the only way to deal with this.
Re: Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus by Nobody: 2:49am On Sep 18, 2012
'trollin
Re: Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus by Nobody: 2:53am On Sep 18, 2012
Seun: @Leonard I: You should just offer an unreserved apology, and make sure it never happens again. That's the only way to deal with this.
That boy is somewhat fooooolish for issuing that Arrant apology, it kinda makes things worse than it already is. . . . .calling big boys babies!
Re: Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus by DualCore1: 6:49am On Sep 18, 2012
Leonard.I:
Dear All,

Kind Regards

You talk about issues arising with your datacenter. Leonard this is not the first time you are having datacenter issues. There are thousands of datacenters in the world and my friend except you are going bankrupt you will never have the kind of datacenter problems you claim to be having because you will be with a good datacenter that wont have a single point of failure. Why do I think the datacenter is innocent and its just some incompetent hands pinching the innocent server? Well my thoughts.
My advice: Get a loan from a bank and get yourself into a datacenter fit for your business.

You talk about other institutions that have failed at one point in time or the other...my friend don't build your organisation hoping to copy failures.
My advice: In your entire life and for the good of your business do not justify your failure by citing an example of another person's failure.... apply this advice to your entire life and not just this business.

Its very possible to run a business in Nigeria, get the right amount of money and get the right minds to work. If you are looking for an easy business, quit. We work with possibilities not easiness.
My advice: If you are tired, shutdown... you were down for more than 24 hours and the world didn't die. If you are not tired, get your acts together. Your damage control is terrible. You go down unexpectedly yet you didn't think it right to put up an update on your twitter page even if you could not access your mailing system. You come back online after some 24 hours with a message that you are doing "routine" maintenance. What on earth is "routine" about a crash? Oh well with your present datacenter crashes and downtimes seem routine.

As for my comments on shared hosting, no you don't need to explain the setup for me I already figured it out.

Finally, for all those guys creating Voguepay Vs. Eyowo threads. Here's a hint for your next one.

AN EYOWO CEO APOLOGY

A VOGUEPAY CEO APOLOGY
Did you say our Support was awful?
I think that is our achilles heel. We have no excuse. We are deeply sorry for those who have had bad experience in one form or another with our support team. I already said we do not have any excuse and I am not trying to justify the delayed support or the time it takes to clear local and international support queue. (Yes! we have clients all over the world)

Our phones are not always switched off, they are always very busy. Those who have visited our office can attest to this.

With our newly restructured support (and additional phone lines coming soon), we believe you will enjoy a better relationship with Afrisoft and her subsidiaries.

4 Likes

Re: Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus by vicade(m): 9:00am On Sep 18, 2012
Even if Leonard wants to quote natwest, he should have checked how the natwest boss handled the incident. I've posted below the response of the Natwest boss:

PA/The Huffington Post UK | ⁠June 23, 2012 12:21:55

Stephen Hester, the chief executive of NatWest owner RBS, has apologised for technical hitches which left customers unable to pay bills or access their money.

Announcing that the bank would open 1,200 branches nationwide tomorrow morning to clear a backlog of chaos caused by a problem with computer software, he said it had let down its customers.

Hundreds of customers have vented their frustration over the problems, with some finding payments had gone awry and others observing disappearing wages, or holidays and home purchases disrupted.

Account balances were not updated properly overnight, meaning credit and debit payments were not showing up as quickly as they should.

In a statement released tonight, Mr Hester said: "I am very sorry for the difficulties people are experiencing.

"Our customers rely on us day in and day out to get things right, and on this occasion we have let them down. This should not have happened.

"Right now my top priority, and the priority of the entire RBS Group, is to fix these problems and put things right for our customers.

"This is taking time, but I want to reassure people that we are working around the clock to resolve these problems as quickly as we are able."

Hester said that for the first time ever, NatWest would open 1,200 branches between 9am and noon tomorrow.

The bank said although the original technical glitch which caused the problems had been fixed it was working through the build up of transactions which had not been processed.

Concerns were raised over penalty charges, amid suggestions thousands of customers could be hit with fines if their regular household bill payments - including mortgages - are affected.

The issues extend to users of Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) and Ulster Bank, which like NatWest are part of RBS Group.

Natwest emailed customers apologising for the inconvenience

Mr Hester added: "I also want to be clear that where our customers are facing hardship or difficulty we can and will help them.

"Our staff have already helped thousands of customers to access cash and we will continue to provide this service on a 24 hour basis while we work to resolve the problems.

"I also want to reassure customers that no one will be left permanently out of pocket as a result of this, and again, they should contact us directly about this.

"We have double the usual number of staff in our call centres, and for the first time ever we will open 1,200 branches across the country on a Sunday from 9am to 12pm.

"Once again I am very sorry for the inconvenience."

Sorry: RBS CEO Stephen Hester

In an email sent to customers earlier on Saturday, Natwest apologised and attempted to explain the problems:

"We apologise to all of our customers who have been affected by our current technical issues," it read.

"These resulted in money credited to customers accounts overnight not appearing in their balances as it should. This problem is strictly of a technical nature, we have fixed the initial problem and our priority has been to work round the clock to sort the backlog as soon as possible. "
Re: Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus by ProGSM(m): 10:09am On Sep 18, 2012
RIP
Re: Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus by soloqy: 11:05am On Sep 18, 2012
Leonard.I:
Dear All,

I actually read the entire thread and it appears most comments were posted by those who have little understanding of IT systems. Issues do arise with IT systems and unfortunate issues like this occurs. It does not mean the company is incompetent.

Oh no, he didnt ! angry
Re: Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus by Slyr0x: 11:29am On Sep 18, 2012
Leonard Inegbedion just killed it with that post. #SMH
Re: Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus by Nobody: 12:01pm On Sep 18, 2012
Okay, Okay guys. Let's take it easy.

Even though I'm trying to "place" my mind to the angle that it wasn't entirely their fault, I still hold some Grudges.

First, No Update was sent to all the Eyowo Customers explaining the situation and/or possible measures taken to rectify it - Very Bad) or maybe you weren't aware your "server" was out.

Secondly, No Backups, I would expect a company running your line to have a least a backup server to effectively handle issues like this when they arise.

I am quite aware of the Outages at RapidSwitch though but it has been overly minimized and rarely happens.

All in all, Eyowo should try to handle clients better (or peharps with a bit more "levity"). Remember you're dealing with Money here and I tell ya, it's one of the hottest zones to run in.

Even after this was rectified, No Official Email sent to all clients on this.

Not Impressed. At all.
Re: Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus by DualCore1: 2:37pm On Sep 18, 2012
I don't think anyone here is mad at Eyowo just because they went down, at least not me. What pissed me off is their whole damage control, infact they don't even have a damage control system in place. Eyowo totally disregards its merchants. I have NEVER received a mail from Eyowo about situation reports on issues or even about "routine" maintenance. According to the message on the website yesterday they claimed the site went down for "routine" maintenance, which is a lie and I feel insulted. Let's assume that "routine" maintenance story was true... so a service provider will shutdown for routine maintenance on its website the whole of Monday without informing its customers? Come on!

If customers were informed about this it woulda saved me the embarrasing situation of having to start explaining to a commissioner how dem shoot bird and the mama fly. Infact I almost told the guy on the phone that Eyowo has been rebranded to Voguepay so he should check voguepay.com. I hate getting into tight corners with clients and I hardly ever do if all the variables are in my control and not some controlled by a third party. Some clients are "iPad generation" gurus and once they catch you offside they are so satisfied with the "shay I told you" euphoria.

Well, its a good thing they are back and its a good thing they are now settling merchants. Lessons learned by those who want to learn. Life goes on for everyone.
Re: Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus by LeonardI: 11:44am On Sep 21, 2012
I sincerely apologise to Eyowo for coming out to make a comment like that. It was wrong and very unprofessional to make those unguided comments.

The incident that happened was very unfortunate and deeply regretted.

Kind Regards

3 Likes

Re: Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus by cs200200(m): 5:41pm On Sep 21, 2012
Leonard.I:
I sincerely apologise to Eyowo for coming out to make a comment like that. It was wrong and very unprofessional to make those unguided comments.

Kind Regards

Nice one Leonard and I am sure you guys are back on track.....

1 Like

Re: Eyowo.com Seems To Have Lost Focus by halimat1985(f): 2:07pm On Oct 08, 2012
Leonard.I:

Kind Regards

Its OK. But next time, choose your words carefully. You may not have the opportunity to swallow your own words once they have been spilled.
Above all, i think your company need to rethink its policies especially how it relates to clients. This forum is filled with very bad reports about u guys.

(1) (2) (Reply)

6 Personal Details Every Website And App You Use Knows About You / Spamming Social Media Like Facebook Can Get Your Adsense Account Banned / 3 Important Pages You MUST Have On Your Blog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.