Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,665 members, 7,823,883 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:19 PM

GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards (6571 Views)

National Awards: Adenuga Receives GCON, 148 Others On The List / Patrick Obahiagbon On National Awards! The Guy Dey Vex! / The Usa Has Given 105 National Awards In 200 Years, Nigeria Has Given 3,924 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by CrazyMan(m): 1:37pm On Sep 18, 2012
The President also asks the awards committee to widen the scope of search for worthy candidates

President Goodluck Jonathan, on Monday, said his administration will strip people of “questionable credibility” of any national honours bestowed on them.

Speaking at the 2012 National Honours Award Investiture, held at the International Conference Centre, Abuja, Jonathan said he had directed the National Honours Award Committee (NHAC) to compile the list of such people.

“We are convinced that the National Honours Award is a very important part of the symbols of the country’s values and pride,” he said. “Whilst government is always pleased to admit deserving persons into the ranks of those honoured by Nigeria, all holders must not fall short of our collective expectations. The dignity, honour and respect of the National Honours must never be tarnished.

In light of the foregoing, I have directed that the National Honours Committee compile a list of persons conferred with the National Honours but that their current credibility is questionable. If they are found wanting, our prestigious Honours will be withdrawn. This is essential in ensuring that holders of National Honours are truly worthy representations of our nation, chains of values and honour, and especially are patriotic Nigerians or real friends of our dear land.’’

Jonathan also directed the award committee to expand the scope of the search for recipients to include all strata of the society. He noted that the total of 4430 recipients of categories of the award since inception in 1963 was not enough, adding that many more Nigerians deserved the recognition.

Speaking on the recipients, Jonathan said they cut across far and wide and had distinguished themselves as icons and examples to all. He singled out Muhammad Zakari, a senior information officer on in the Office of the Accountant General of the Federation for his honesty.

Zakari, who was decorated with the Members of the Order of the Federal Republic (MFR) medal, was honoured for returning a N6 million payment made to him in error in November 2011.

Mike Adenuga, the CEO of Globacom, was decorated with the highest honour among all the recipients; Grand Commander of the Order of the Niger (GCON).

“He worked hard to establish Globacom as an international communication company which provides means of livelihood to over 100,000 Nigerians,” said Jonathan. “Today, across Ghana and Benin Republic, he has built a formidable brand and is expanding footholds in Cote d’Ivoire and Senegal.’’ 

A total of 155 recipients were decorated with six of the eight statutorily recognized categories of honours.

The National Honours Award was established by the National Honours Act No 5 of 1964 but took retrospective effect from October 1, 1963.

The Act empowers the President to honour deserving citizens who have contributed to the development and progress of the country in any field of human endeavour.

http://dailytimes.com.ng/article/gej-strip-questionable-characters-national-awards
Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by Afam4eva(m): 3:00pm On Sep 18, 2012
So, how does one qualify for the Questionable character award

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by onyxo76(m): 3:02pm On Sep 18, 2012
na today?...
Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by IjeomaObasi: 3:03pm On Sep 18, 2012
That will be a good move.
Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by Nobody: 3:03pm On Sep 18, 2012
Why not confirm their characters before the conferment of the national chieftaincy titles in the first place. I attest to the questionlessness of my character, when's my award to be expected? Just gimme the monetary rewards attached and you can keep the trophies.

2 Likes

Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by Eneze1(f): 3:04pm On Sep 18, 2012
this is good news coming from the Presidency, hope all receipients of national awards with questionable character would be dealt with.
Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by SEEMESEEMEO(m): 3:05pm On Sep 18, 2012
I think good luck should strip himself off the presidential sit first

4 Likes

Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by Ariyke: 3:07pm On Sep 18, 2012
1supremo: Why not confirm their characters before the conferment of the national chieftaincy titles in the first place
My thought exactly
Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by Sijo01(f): 3:07pm On Sep 18, 2012
Stories........ What stoped him from carrying out investigation on the recepiants before honouring them
Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by OjujuCalabar(m): 3:12pm On Sep 18, 2012
Who will head the committee or taskforce?
Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by Nobody: 3:13pm On Sep 18, 2012
Why were they nominated in the first place?
Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by misreal(m): 3:14pm On Sep 18, 2012
1supremo: Why not confirm their characters before the conferment of the national chieftaincy titles in the first place. I attest to the questionlessness of my character, when's my award to be expected? Just gimme the monetary rewards attached and keep the trophies.
na only ur comment i like for here.infct ur commrnt will surely affect de price of ........ In uf father's compound grin
Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by GARRIx7(m): 3:15pm On Sep 18, 2012
Sack Okukpe..
Sack Diezani...
Sack Ngozi...
Sack all the rogues in your govt....
Tell ur puppet in Bayelsa to sack the GHOST PM (Mrs Fellow Widows)

Long live Garri Republic!
Long Live Nairaland!
Long Live Seun!
Long Live Federal Republic of Nigeria!
God Bless GEJ......

All Enemies of the Nigerian Masses....DIE!!!!!
All Corrupt Office Holders............DIE!!!!!

grin grin grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by misreal(m): 3:16pm On Sep 18, 2012
SEEMESEEMEO: I think good luck should strip himself off the presidential sit first
u r sounding like an educated illiterate.i wonder if na u really write dis tin grin

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by takedat(m): 3:16pm On Sep 18, 2012
GEJ as usual,after dishing out honors to them he now wants to investigate those that their current credibility is questionable.The same thing he said last year while the likes of madam Ibru still wears their badge of honor.
Men like Lai Alabi who is still under investigation for his role in the Joy petroleum and Intercontinental bank saga is given national award for diverting depositors fund
Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by Chanchit: 3:21pm On Sep 18, 2012
It jst shows that our government has questionable character, if not they won't call someone with questionable character to come and recieve recognition, so after publishing their names in the newspaper, they will now go back and say they r not giving them again.. Mtcheeew, mediocre award, thats why Chinua Achebe keeps rejecting the useless honours from those fools.

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by lacasa: 3:24pm On Sep 18, 2012
SEEMESEEMEO: I think good luck should strip himself off the presidential sit first

Exactly
gringringrin
Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by Wsdm: 3:26pm On Sep 18, 2012
The president may not even know some of the awardee because it is not his responsibility to do so. The same goes to ministerial appointment. Some people just scheme their way through. For example ; if a slot is allocated to a governor base on quota system and he brings only one thief, can the president decide otherwise? The solution to this is to give an independent body power to screen these people through public opinion before the final announcement.
Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by lightheart(m): 3:34pm On Sep 18, 2012
Na u confer, na u strip.
No shakings...carry go oo
We (the masses) don award people wey we wan award tey tey!
Thanks for the info.

Sincerely yours,
The Masses,
Federal Republic of Nigeria
Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by Youngsage: 3:38pm On Sep 18, 2012
Why did he not think of this in the first place before awarding them? Or did their characters suddenly become questionable after the conferment of awards? Smh
Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by Nobody: 3:40pm On Sep 18, 2012
Its one of those usual presidential comments. If you happen to strip the person of the award, will you ask him to return the monetary aspect

''When a man wakes from sleep in a haste and mutters some words, he usually isnt accountable for such comments''.
Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by Godogwu: 3:44pm On Sep 18, 2012
GARRI (x7):
Sack Okukpe..
Sack Diezani...
Sack Ngozi...
Sack all the rogues in your govt....
Tell ur puppet in Bayelsa to sack the GHOST PM (Mrs Fellow Widows)

Long live Garri Republic!
Long Live Nairaland!
Long Live Seun!
Long Live Federal Republic of Nigeria!
God Bless GEJ......

All Enemies of the Nigerian Masses....DIE!!!!!
All Corrupt Office Holders............DIE!!!!!

grin grin grin grin grin

K
Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by SisiKill1: 3:44pm On Sep 18, 2012
He just makes it soooo easy to mock him, it takes the fun away undecided

1 Like

Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by Elueme: 3:48pm On Sep 18, 2012
Just the part of honour...honour is given to whom it's due, so also honour is taken from the ignoble.. Ride on mr president.. Just what any sane society will do.
Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by jamil2(m): 3:52pm On Sep 18, 2012
okpara ugo: Its one of those usual presidential comments. If you happen to strip the person of the award, will you ask him to return the monetary aspect

''When a man wakes from sleep in a haste and mutters some words, he usually isnt accountable for such comments''.

Sense!
Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by adegadedamola: 4:06pm On Sep 18, 2012
GEJ ΐƨ not reffering to †ђξ new honoris alone but also past holders ☀̤̣̈̇f †ђξ national award..try to comprehend before commenting#smh
Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by osifred(m): 4:07pm On Sep 18, 2012
Mr president ur wayz i no understand again ooooooo. U making dis statement implies dat u cant verge for thr credibility of the people you are dishing our national awards to. Den why give me in the first place?
Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by SEEMESEEMEO(m): 4:07pm On Sep 18, 2012
misreal: u r sounding like an educated illiterate.i wonder if na u really write dis tin grin
thanks.
Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by sylve11: 4:07pm On Sep 18, 2012
1supremo: Why not confirm their characters before the conferment of the national chieftaincy titles in the first place. I attest to the questionlessness of my character, when's my award to be expected? Just gimme the monetary rewards attached and you can keep the trophies.

Abi o o grin grin cool
Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by cdamsel(f): 4:13pm On Sep 18, 2012
Ojuju Calabar: Who will head the committee or taskforce?
minister of finance na,haven't u noticed she is in every committee?
Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by honeric01(m): 4:20pm On Sep 18, 2012
I don't know what is wrong here.. why is it that for almost 2 years now, things are done upside down, i mean putting pot on the stove before lighing up the stove
wearing shirt before putting on your singlet
Running before walking
putting the horse before the cart

Why are things done in reverse under GEJ's govt?

2 Likes

Re: GEJ To Strip Questionable Characters Of National Awards by shegsrules(m): 4:23pm On Sep 18, 2012
Zakari returned 6million n got an award sum1 returned 18million of cash n valuables n got no award cus his a taxi driver. Go n get a gud body to check up on names

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ogun Guber Results So Far Released By Inec / Beautiful Slay Queen Spotted Pushing Wheelbarrow In Owerri (photos) / Nigerian Soldier Wins The Heart Of Passengers.see What He Did(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.