Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,022 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate (24038 Views)

FG Seeks Abolition Of Visa Requirement Among D-8 Member Countries / Tinubu Calls For Revolution / Tinubu Calls For Sovereign National Conference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Lilprocess(m): 5:55am On Sep 19, 2012
National Leader of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) Asiwaju Bola Tinubu yesterday called for the scrapping of the Senate, saying that it is costly to maintain and that it only replicates functions of the House of Representatives.

Tinubu spoke at the 2012 annual conference and awards ceremony of Leadership Newspapers Group where he also called for laws to allow Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) appoint state electoral commissioners (RECs) for the sake of fairness and credibility of the electoral process.
He said “we have kept complaining about the cost of governance and the recurrent expenditure…but we have never examined the structural problems of even the constitution that we are operating.

“Why do we need two houses of National Assembly when House of Representatives represent smaller constituencies enough in the same number of population? Why not get rid of the Senate? To equip better and effective legislative activities, let us start examining that.”
On the call for INEC autonomy “when you say somebody is a chairman and chief executive officer of a corporation,you give him all the authority to act onbehalf of the people.

“We gave INEC power and authority to act on our behalf, to be an institution that will be transparent and independent and they are being funded directly from the source; from the allocation, first line charge, expenditure from our commonwealth,Federal Republic of Nigeria.

“Why would we not allow the buck to stop on the desk of the INEC Chairman so that if he messes up, we have somebody to blame. Why would an INEC chairman not be able to appoint those in the branches in the states, RECis the representative of INEC in the state; why would they be appointed bythe president who is equally partisan, a member of political party who said they would rule Nigeria for 60 years. How would they not?

“If they are the ones appointing RECs, card carrying members of PDP, how would we have a reliable electoral system? Whether you have executive position or not, power is not served ala carte, it is not like a menu in Sheraton, you have to struggle for it. Let’s first of all straighten and strengthen the institution. We are ready as opposition to work together with any other party to wrestle power from this inept government.”

http://www.zimbio.com/Nigeria/articles/irZGlpbuWWp/Tinubu+calls+abolition+Senate

13 Likes

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by kodewrita(m): 7:01am On Sep 19, 2012
Scrap Senate for redundancy reasons. Totally accepted.
Allow INEC chairman select state RECs. Completely accepted.
Possibility of this happening. Not likely at the moment.

8 Likes

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by babaniyen1(m): 7:05am On Sep 19, 2012
This is long overdue. I have always been trying to describe there job function and I discovered its just duplication of functions and room for thieves. But the question is who would pass the law knowing fully well that this people are the most selfish set of people in the country. May God safe us from this comedy called Nigeria as they just keep releasing new episode daily

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by luvinhubby(m): 8:33am On Sep 19, 2012
I've always posited that bi-camaral legislation is unneccesarily expensive and should scrapped in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by ACM10: 8:40am On Sep 19, 2012
Naija too like to copy. We go copy the wasteful aspect of US politics, then leave behind its cost-cutting aspects.

4 Likes

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by MajeOfficial: 8:50am On Sep 19, 2012
these words are pushing ANC up in my eyes. I completely support this
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Tariqh: 8:58am On Sep 19, 2012
Front page pls
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Nobody: 9:00am On Sep 19, 2012
Well, the scrapping of the Senate requires an amendment to the constitution. A constitutional amendment requires the passage of BOTH houses of parliament, the Senate inclusive. And therein lies the problem. Which set of legislooters will pass a law to abolish their "green chamber", thereby removing their source of livelihood?

Good suggestion, but dead on arrival.

5 Likes

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Mandelaguy(m): 9:08am On Sep 19, 2012
I am against waste in government,but how are we going to achieve this? The PDP and opposition in the house will not pass the amendment,because greed is at it's height in their lives. If Tinubu is serious,let him bring the party he is leading and form and alliance to pass it.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Gbawe: 9:14am On Sep 19, 2012
ACM10: Naija too like to copy. We go copy the wasteful aspect of US politics, then leave behind its cost-cutting aspects.

This is the crux of the matter. Had it been that Nigeria is not a Nation that bastardizes successful models seen elsewhere,Tinubu's call would be unnecessary. Everything in Nigeria has to be turned into an avenue for a few to derive stupendous wealth which should ordinarily go towards developing the nation.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by seunfly: 9:21am On Sep 19, 2012
Well scraping of senate thats will be good, but considering the tendency of the house of rep abusing thier power if they are the only existing house make me think twice. For checkmating reason let them be, we should try and cut cost as average senator in Nigeria take home $1.8m per anum apart from advance extortion they do to all government agency called oversight function.

On REC why will president do everything? We are still using millitary dictatorship style of governments.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Desola(f): 9:39am On Sep 19, 2012
Gbawe:

This is the crux of the matter. Had it been that Nigeria is not a Nation that bastardizes successful models seen elsewhere,Tinubu's call would be unnecessary. Everything in Nigeria has to be turned into an avenue for a few to derive stupendous wealth which should ordinarily go towards developing the nation.

Lobatan! Liar! Sycophant!

5 Likes

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by FrankC3: 9:52am On Sep 19, 2012
Talking about cutting cost, why not scrap the House of Reps, afterall they are more in number, less mature and less productive than the Senate.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by DuduNegro: 9:55am On Sep 19, 2012
To those asking how to do it......by special ballot! The people should vote to keep or do away with it.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by seanet01: 9:56am On Sep 19, 2012
Desola:

Lobatan! Liar! Sycophant!
Aya mi owon, owa jegunre bi? Egbon Gbawe kin se eyan be rara. He is not a sycophant i swear. I knew this fight was on the ACN issue but you mistook his likeness of ACN for hypocrisy, but he is not an hypocrite i swear. Unlike beaf who get paid for hogwash, he derives passion supporting a performing party. Iyalode Tinubu jowo jegunre
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Desola(f): 9:59am On Sep 19, 2012
while it appears that Tinubu makes sense in his suggestions, he is in no position to talk really as not only is he a beneficiary of the rot in government, he is also a perpetrator. That he created a party different from that of the notorious evil party - PDP, does not avail him from the ills he has also committed. If truly he believes in fairness and credibility, he would have encouraged a far more qualified ACN member to represent Lagos state and not foist his wife whom had no recorded experience in political administration other than being a one time first lady of Lagos state. Admitedly, PDP is probably the worst political party that has ever happened to Nigeria, but ACN with its oligarchic tendencies could be another PDP waiting to happen.

As per the matter he raised, my opinion is that for there to be check and balance, we require both the lower and the upper houses. Getting rid of one and giving absolute power to the other would be absolutely wrong (at least in Nigeria) because we know that absolute power corrupts absolutely! What we need is an overhaul, restructuring but not removal. In all, our powers need to be separated and made more effective, less corruptible and more credible. These are what we need. Can you tell the UK to remove the house of Lords or tell the US to remove the senate? It makes no sense.

Tinubu should come up with suggestions that can actually be implemented not just talking for talking sake so as to be seen as an opposition leader. He is getting stale fast.

13 Likes

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by PaulJohn1: 10:05am On Sep 19, 2012
Why in the first place do a country that has not fed his people have two arms of law makers?
Is there a law that the green chamber can't pass except the senate and vice versa?
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Desola(f): 10:10am On Sep 19, 2012
seanet01: Aya mi owon, owa jegunre bi? Egbon Gbawe kin se eyan be rara. He is not a sycophant i swear. I knew this fight was on the ACN issue but you mistook his likeness of ACN for hypocrisy, but he is not an hypocrite i swear. Unlike beaf who get paid for hogwash, he derives passion supporting a performing party. Iyalode Tinubu jowo jegunre

Aboo rimi bayi? Oro lasan ni mo beere o ti agba iya yen ma de mu mi bu ke. I respected him a lot and was to a degree influenced by what I thought were unbiased points of views and political issues affecting Nigeria but as time passed, I started to notice a pattern - a pattern where you were not allowed to speak against the ACN, that if you were Yoruba, you were meant to accept all that ACN does so as to resist PDP in every way. No one loathes the PDP and the jonasatan's government more than me but I refuse to be a sheep and take all that ACN does, hook, line and sinker. ACN isn't infallible, they are nothing more than an offshoot of PDP (giving that a good chunk of their members were at some point PDP card carriers) but they on the back of Fashola and Oshiomole seem to be edging their rivals. However, must we say because one is our child, we should over pamper it? If we don't remove the speck from our eyes, should be wait for others to do it? I have never read any thread where this man has constructively criticised ACN or is he trying to say that they are without blesmish? Trust me, Seanet, your egbon is no longer impartial. I have a strong belief that he is now being paid. He is not as objective as he used to be.

He can call me all obscenities in the book but I make no apologies for my NL personality. I don't wear masks like he does and to be honest, he has let me down big time.

7 Likes

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Nobody: 10:10am On Sep 19, 2012
Interesting, coming from an ex-senator whose wife is a senator.

4 Likes

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by SkyBlue1: 10:13am On Sep 19, 2012
Desola: while it appears that Tinubu makes sense in his suggestions, he is in no position to talk really as not only is he a beneficiary of the rot in government, he is also a perpetrator. That he created a party different from that of the notorious evil party - PDP, does not avail him from the ills he has also committed. If truly he believes in fairness and credibility, he would have encouraged a far more qualified ACN member to represent Lagos state and not foist his wife whom had no recorded experience in political administration other than being a one time first lady of Lagos state. Admitedly, PDP is probably the worst political party that has ever happened to Nigeria, but ACN with its oligarchic tendencies could be another PDP waiting to happen.

As per the matter he raised, my opinion is that for there to be check and balance, we require both the lower and the upper houses. Getting rid of one and giving absolute power to the other would be absolutely wrong (at least in Nigeria) because we know that absolute power corrupts absolutely! What we need is an overhaul, restructuring but not removal. In all, our powers need to be separated and made more effective, less corruptible and more credible. These are what we need. Can you tell the UK to remove the house of Lords or tell the US to remove the senate? It makes no sense.

Tinubu should come up with suggestions that can actually be implemented not just talking for talking sake so as to be seen as an opposition leader. He is getting stale fast.

Very sensible.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Demdem(m): 10:13am On Sep 19, 2012
HNosegbe: Well, the scrapping of the Senate requires an amendment to the constitution. A constitutional amendment requires the passage of BOTH houses of parliament, the Senate inclusive. And therein lies the problem. Which set of legislooters will pass a law to abolish their "green chamber", thereby removing their source of livelihood?

Good suggestion, but dead on arrival.

It goes beyond just amending a section of the constitution to facilitate this, several sections and clauses will have to change and roles well defined. It will involve the re-writing of the constitution entirely therby re-structuring our whole political landscape.
This is why SNC is important and should happen now

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Gbawe: 10:14am On Sep 19, 2012
seanet01: Aya mi owon, owa jegunre bi? Egbon Gbawe kin se eyan be rara. He is not a sycophant i swear. I knew this fight was on the ACN issue but you mistook his likeness of ACN for hypocrisy, but he is not an hypocrite i swear. Unlike beaf who get paid for hogwash, he derives passion supporting a performing party. Iyalode Tinubu jowo jegunre

Seanet, save your words. This is how I gain stalkers on this forum. Nairalanders can see what happened below that is now making this worthless market woman, from hell, to follow me around malevolently. The truth is that I will squash this silly fool ,bred in a motor park, a total disgrace to womanhood and everything Yoruba people stand for if I am interested in doing that. I have done same to others, far, far, far more intelligent than her olodo self, who sought my trouble without any provocation from me whatsoever as she is doing now. Alas, well-bred gentlemen cannot/should not engage or demean women full-scale.

This is direct history in the making and a chance for some Nairalanders to see why I have so many stalkers despite not being a controversial character. Gbawe gains another malevolent stalker because he conducted himself properly and bested hateful, uncouth and malevolent creatures intellectually and with factual evidence on the thread below:

https://www.nairaland.com/1050126/2015-jonathan-pdp-fail-s-west

Guy, save you breadth. I am just happy this example has presented itself as proof of why I have so many malevolent stalkers here. Proof of the sheer wickedness and hatefulk soul of some Nigerians who think they can go around peddling unadulterated hatred and mindless negativity. When you then stand up to them, they make you the centre of their attention and hatred. Typical.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Desola(f): 10:17am On Sep 19, 2012
Gbawe:

Seanet,save your words. This is how I gain stalkers on this forum. Nairalanders can see what happened below that is now making this worthless market woman, from hell, to follow me around malevolently. The truth is that I will squash this silly fool bred in a motor park if I am interested in doing that. Alas, well-bred gentlemen do not engage or demean women.

This is direct history in the making and a chance for some Nairalanders to see why I have so many stalkers despite not being a controversial character. Gbawe gains another malevolent stalker because he conducted himself properly and bested hateful, uncouth and malevolent creatures intellectually and with[b] factual evidence[/b] on the thread below:

https://www.nairaland.com/1050126/2015-jonathan-pdp-fail-s-west

Guy, save you breadth. I am just happy this example has presented itself as proof of why I have so many malevolent stalkers here. Proof of the sheer wickedness and hatefulk soul of some Nigerians who think they can go around peddling unadulterated hatred and mindless negativity. When you then stand up to them, they make you the centre of their attention and hatred. Typical.

so long as it makes you sleep at night at the thought of a beautiful arewa obirin is stalking you virtually, then it's okay by me ojare. Agba iya! Agba ti won fi nsepe f'omode. Awon abaluje dede. Nkan ti won ma je o je won gbon.

Eleriibu, you don't demean women, you just call them names which in your own dictionary means praising them. As I said before, your veil is off, the whole charade has ended. Go back to your laptop ojare, Lappy ACN 001. I hope you use a mac and not windows like the PDP lappies.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by SkyBlue1: 10:19am On Sep 19, 2012
Tinubu's idea is not feasible in the current set up and just seems a very very cheap ploy to gain "integrity" by hopping on cheap populist sentiments that on closer scrutiny fall apart on implementation. Unfortunately, some people will buy into it. How about solutions that are actually workable? The house has two chambers for a reason.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by DuduNegro: 10:22am On Sep 19, 2012
Desola: while it appears that Tinubu makes sense in his suggestions, he is in no position to talk really as not only is he a beneficiary of the rot in government, he is also a perpetrator. That he created a party different from that of the notorious evil party - PDP, does not avail him from the ills he has also committed. If truly he believes in fairness and credibility, he would have encouraged a far more qualified ACN member to represent Lagos state and not foist his wife whom had no recorded experience in political administration other than being a one time first lady of Lagos state. Admitedly, PDP is probably the worst political party that has ever happened to Nigeria, but ACN with its oligarchic tendencies could be another PDP waiting to happen.

Desola,

I like your response. Tinubu's statement has no substance on its face value but deep underneath it has monumental meaning. This statement was not made spontaneously.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Demdem(m): 10:22am On Sep 19, 2012
Sky Blue: Tinubu's idea is not feasible in the current set up and just seems a very very cheap ploy to gain "integrity" by hopping on cheap populist sentiments that on closer scrutiny fall apart on implementation. Unfortunately, some people will buy into it. How about solutions that are actually workable? The house has two chambers for a reason.

Read between the lines. he is basically calling for SNC. To acheive what he said, our whole political structure will need to be re-designed and constitution re-written
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by seanet01: 10:25am On Sep 19, 2012
Aya mi, the reality on ground here is actually different from this your theoretical inputs.
To actually confront the monster called pdp you need a monster like Tinubu i swear. As somebody who have lived in Nigeria before i know what am talking about.
On the issue of the senate, Tinubu is right to some extent. But the failure of the senate to make positive impact on the Nigeria society is a remote failure of the masses. Not being brave enough to demand your basic rights is the issue. Tinubu is doing a lot more positive than negative. Though i despice some dictatorial tendencies of his, but history has in several cases passed a positive judgement on some of Tinubu's dictations. Example includes the issue of Fashola against Afikuyomi in an open primary, the latter would have boiled the earlier. Tinubu might have his mistakes as a human being, his positives far outweigh his negatives. Noff said
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Desola(f): 10:27am On Sep 19, 2012
Dudu_Negro:

Desola,

I like your response. Tinubu's statement has no substance on its face value but deep underneath it has monumental meaning. This statement was not made spontaneously.

You are right but really, is this the time to be making good but weak and virtually unimplementable suggestions? Didn't we vote the ACN for a reason? They are part of the legislature to implement policies, effect changes and not harp on about federalism (which by the way is a brilliant move)but effect changes that can be felt now, translate to a direct gain for the masses or betterment? Nigerians want direct changes now and re-writing the constitution isn't exactly immediate, is it? I personally don't think doing away with the senate is feasible.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by SkyBlue1: 10:29am On Sep 19, 2012
Demdem:

Read between the lines. he is basically calling for SNC. To acheive what he said, our whole political structure will need to be re-designed and constitution re-written

Again, cheap populist sentiment. It seems to be the running fad these days. Want to sound intellectual? Call for Sovereign National Conference and that seems to erase all negative views about you in the eyes of the people. Calling for SNC WITHOUT a clear path towards achieving it, all the logistics involved, and carrying Nigerians along is nothing more that hopping on cheap populist sentiments (even Soyinka seems to have cooled off on the whole SNC and has instead started fighting for good governance as exemplified by Akpaibo after he visited Uyo). Does that mean SNC is a bad idea? No. But when Nigerians are really ready for that change some of us desperately desire then that change will come. It requires galvanising of the people and the people unknowingly have what they want. SNC seems to be the new "I will give you road, I will give you light, I will give you house" campaign jingle.

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Desola(f): 10:31am On Sep 19, 2012
Sky Blue:

Again, cheap populist sentiment. It seems to be the running fad these days. Want to sound intellectual? Call for Sovereign National Conference and that seems to erase all negative views about you in the eyes of the people. Calling for SNC WITHOUT a clear path towards achieving it, all the logistics involved, and carrying Nigerians along is nothing more that hopping on cheap populist sentiments (even Soyinka seems to have cooled off on the whole SNC and has instead started fighting for good governance as exemplified by Akpaibo after he visited Uyo). Does that mean SNC is a bad idea? No. But when Nigerians are really ready for that change some of us desperately desire then that change will come. It requires galvanising of the people and the people unknowingly have what they want. SNC seems to be the new "I will give you road, I will give you light, I will give you house" campaign jingle.

couldn't have said it better.
Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by Desola(f): 10:34am On Sep 19, 2012
seanet01: Aya mi, the reality on ground here is actually different from this your theoretical inputs.
To actually confront the monster called pdp you need a monster like Tinubu i swear. As somebody who have lived in Nigeria before i know what am talking about.
On the issue of the senate, Tinubu is right to some extent. But the failure of the senate to make positive impact on the Nigeria society is a remote failure of the masses. Not being brave enough to demand your basic rights is the issue. Tinubu is doing a lot more positive than negative. Though i despice some dictatorial tendencies of his, but history has in several cases passed a positive judgement on some of Tinubu's dictations. Example includes the issue of Fashola against Afikuyomi in an open primary, the latter would have boiled the earlier. Tinubu might have his mistakes as a human being, his positives far outweigh his negatives. Noff said

Seanet, ACN is wasting valuable time. They need to convince voters to retain them post 2015. Little changes now would prove to us that they can achieve these big aims of SNC and re-writing of the constitution. Let people see the effects of voting for you to represent them.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Calls For The Abolition Of The Senate by SkyBlue1: 10:44am On Sep 19, 2012
There are different ways of achieving what we want. The people can rise up and demand it (the ideal), or we can at least entrench deeper regional integration and improve inter regional relations and trade. The south-south states now have this BRACED forum, and not all those states are even PDP led. If the middle belt could pool it resources, the south eastern states could also get their act together, the south west also integrates into a regional identity and such groups can work on projects together that improve intra and interconnectivity to build on trade and increase efficiency for doing business both locally and globally, won't that be something? Now is that achievable right NOW? Absolutely yes. I just keep looking to see wether this BRACED forum can realise the potential of pulling together of resources and pay more than lip service - which seems to be all they are doing now. The visions I have of Nigeria . . . . it is a shame really how disunited we can seem when many of us want the same things.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Fayose On The Osasu Show: 'if I Have A House In Dubai, I Will Declare It'(video) / Police Warn Against Reprisals As Mtn’s Office Is Vandalised / Obidients Hold Peter Obi Rally In Abiriba, Abia State On Monday (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.