Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,297 members, 7,954,181 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:46 PM

Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck (11569 Views)

How GEJ's Govt. Used Bullion Vans To Cart Away N67.2bn From CBN - Premium Times / Police Arrest Bullion Van Robbers / IBB's Government Seized Buhari's Certificates - APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by dammytosh: 2:25pm On Sep 21, 2012
str8_talk: I just cant understand pple criticising d law. d law is an ar$e. if u dont like it,then move out of Lagos. if am d Governor,i'll not only auction d siezed vehicle,i will insert into d law dat d initial owner shld pay 4 d cost of documentation for d new buyer.

A-ZeD:

Also ban him from owning/driving for 5 years

I am sure you guys dnt own a car or drive in Lagos state. So i can imagine the angle you are coming from. If you have ever parked to confirm if a road is one way drive or not because of lack of sign post, u will understand the pains of lagos motorists.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by gl450: 2:27pm On Sep 21, 2012
why not let them pay a fine and let them go...these laws are new and it will take time to get into their mindset. How many time have the government broken the law concerning the welfare of the people, have they auctioned their own property. The Law was meant for man and not man for the LAW, abeg tender justice with mercy, at least let the bankers get the first right of refusal of buying back their property, before just going to auction it off...these are business creating jobs, why send them out of business....
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by dammytosh: 2:31pm On Sep 21, 2012
pretty_boi: We Nigerians are very lawless people so we don't even know how good governments/governances operate. How is the government selling seized goods "stealing" or "dictatorial?" The law is there not to break,yet some people go & break[b] these laws intentionally[/b] & would still come & open their stinking mouths & say "Naija no be better country at all." In case you guys don't know,when you break the law & you're caught & the government seizes your vehicle it automatically becomes their property & they can decide whatever they wish to do with their property. Auctioning the vehicles is one of the best options for them to generate some revenue to further run the government & provide more infrastructures that you,me & all Nigerians need to enjoy. Lagos state is working abeg,let other one of our Nigerian states take a cue from Fashola & his team. God Bless Nigeria.

And what happens to motorist who entered a one way lane innocently because there is no sign.

What about motorist who passed and a faulty traffic light came on while it was not suppose to. I have seen these instances and the guys were arrested. Call a spade a spade and don't wait till you can afford a car and they confiscate it before you condemn the barbaric law.

Even in USA that all of you scream they take cue from, a new traffic law like not obeying the Stop sign is $50 fine.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by cheddarking(m): 2:31pm On Sep 21, 2012
How can I get involved in the auctions?

I'm ready to fly down to Nigeria if it means cars will be going on the cheap...
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by dammytosh: 2:33pm On Sep 21, 2012
gl450: why not let them pay a fine and let them go...these laws are new and it will take time to get into their mindset. How many time have the government broken the law concerning the welfare of the people, have they auctioned their own property. The Law was meant for man and not man for the LAW, abeg tender justice with mercy, at least let the bankers get the first right of refusal of buying back their property, before just going to auction it off...these are business creating jobs, why send them out of business....

Thank you. they break the Nigerian law every day, Construct 40KM road for 40 Billion. Steal from us with their pen everyday and they walk freely full of praises from ignorant and sycophants.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by Cyberknight: 2:36pm On Sep 21, 2012
pretty_boi: We Nigerians are very lawless people so we don't even know how good governments/governances operate. How is the government selling seized goods "stealing" or "dictatorial?" The law is there not to break,yet some people go & break these laws intentionally & would still come & open their stinking mouths & say "Naija no be better country at all." In case you guys don't know,when you break the law & you're caught & the government seizes your vehicle it automatically becomes their property & they can decide whatever they wish to do with their property. Auctioning the vehicles is one of the best options for them to generate some revenue to further run the government & provide more infrastructures that you,me & all Nigerians need to enjoy. Lagos state is working abeg,let other one of our Nigerian states take a cue from Fashola & his team. God Bless Nigeria.

Not a very wise thing to say, when you are not a victim of the law. Firstly, remember the basic principle of laws is that they are to be applied fairly and impartially. Was there a court order before the vehicles were seized? Was the owner of the vehicle given a chance to state his own case in a duly constituted court of law before being deprived of his legal property? It is unjust to exercise government power in such a way.

Let us also remember that we Nigerians, indeed, Africans as a whole, are new to this business of governing ourselves, and we don't seem to be able to get it right. Why must everything in Naija be force, force, violence, threats? For example, people working from the government descend on a person's house and ask to see tax receipts. If none are produced, they proceed to seal up property, using force. The civilized societies who taught us how to be semi-civilized, is this what they do? If you haven't paid tax, you are sent a reminder, then a warning, then a court summons, which you disobey at your peril. Step by step procedure, to be careful about abusing government power. Here, touts invade your premises by force. Even if propoerty must be seized and forfeited, there must be due process. Due process, due process and the rule of law!!

Even in our villages, before the white man came here and changed things for us, does the council of elders take a decision without hearing both parties to the dispute in their own defence? Naija, Naija, what have you turned into?!!!

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by KINGwax(m): 2:42pm On Sep 21, 2012
zeefa: First thing first! Why must you violet d law in d first place! Fashola Govt are ONLY looking for ways nigerians could get those rules in2 their head n start doing something right when it comes to safety in our road! Please tell me! This actions is suppose to b taken by FRSC boss in d country! But they are just clueless human being who feels changing the plate numbers is the solution to the reckless driving in the country. After driving 4 then years in nigeria, I kw ao much it cost me to get a drivers license in the middle east! Cos their police are working and trying to at least set a gud mind set for every drivers on the road! Ensuring they understand d Do's n don't's ! I commend fashola Govt for a job well done. If auctioning of seized trucks wld make ppu seat tight then so be it. If am caught in the act, I don't mind to forfeit my car cos it wl serve as a lesson which I won't try 2 repeat again! Let who have ears hear! Eko oni baje o! To ba si baje, awa eyan na la wa nibe! Lo ba tan!
thanks for being sensible. It's a simple law. They didnt snatch your car in the first place. If u can say dt, let's talk abt a man dt has worked all his life only for a lady to claim his belongings when they divorce.
Talk abt me jst passing on a land and the owner screamed trespassing only to have me jailed.
Talk abt me getting jailed for an offence! Is that not slavery? Why can't u jes warn me and let me go? If u say law is dictating, so be it. Violate it first, fuckin wallydrags

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by Nobody: 2:43pm On Sep 21, 2012
A-ZeD:

Thats my only problem with the law. All roads should be labelled properly.

That is a BIG problem. Since most one-way roads are not clearly and properly designated as such, then what justification does the state government have to arrest innocent drivers and impound their vehicles? Seriously, apart from the dual carriage express ways that even a blind man can tell which is one way and which isn't - without need for signs, I think it is stupid for Fashola and his goons to arrest anybody UNTIL they mount CLEAR and PERMANENT signs to mark inner-city one way roads.

In some cases LASTMA officials deliberately remove road signs without notice so that they can ensnare innocent drivers that are unfamiliar with the route. Does that not show how unserious the state government is? It is really sad to think that this beast of a governor is supposed to be a learned SAN. He should put his filthy house in order before victimising innocent and ordinary people.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by manny4life(m): 2:55pm On Sep 21, 2012
Zenas212: [hw san u cal auctioning stealin wen d law is very clear for all to see=afam4eva]Isn't this stealing?? How can you sell something that's not yours.

What law exactly? Why should such law be in existence in the first place? Isn't that modern day (go figure)

How does the government reserve the right to auction or sell someone's property without ANY legal binding equity to the car? Are they a lien holder? So what legal basis do they have to auction of the car? Even the U.S. the so-called law(s) are modeled after, municipals DO NOT auction people vehicles. If you commit a traffic offense, they will cite you, and probably with a ticket. In ALL MOST all states, they have traffic courts, and the issuing officer depending on the offense, you may have your day in court. When you go to court, the judge will adjudicate the case (either your favor or the officer representing municipal authority).

In most cases where folks commit serious traffic offenses like in DC, there's too much "one way" roads, restricted right turns, limited timed parking and what have you, you will see all traffic enforcement agents on the street from 6am to abt 10am, issuing ticket, not just $50, I mean $200 to $500 tickets. In most instances, after a ticket has been issued, and the enforcement agent returns probably an hr later, they will write a "towing ticket", and your car is towed. There's no time that the state will auction off your car. What you simply do is go to the towing company, pay your towing fees, and get your car back, then return to the municipal office and pay your ticket. Municipals DO NOT auction of cars.

The ONLY time I know when they auction people's car is when the lien holder (the financing bank), has repossessed your car probably due to loan default. They have the right to auction your car, and probably, you defaulted on your auto taxes (idk how that works), but the govt does not automatically seize your car, they go through a process.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by ofala(m): 2:56pm On Sep 21, 2012
Kudos to Gov Fashola even though the traffic law should be modified a bit but when one looks at the situation deeply, a lot of options must have been considered before arriving at the ourright seizure of vehicles. The law simply says: "drive as a huma being and NOT animal"
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by Dondbuzor: 2:59pm On Sep 21, 2012
For spewing this trash, u ve won d most usele.ss poster of the day. Ask seun for ur prize.
@topic this is complete dictatorship at the highest level. Selling people property for disobeying road traffic laws.
The punishment is even worse than that for arm roBbery.
Oga fashola, better watch ur back cos am com'n after u!

zeefa: First thing first! Why must you violet d law in d first place! Fashola Govt are ONLY looking for ways nigerians could get those rules in2 their head n start doing something right when it comes to safety in our road! Please tell me! This actions is suppose to b taken by FRSC boss in d country! But they are just clueless human being who feels changing the plate numbers is the solution to the reckless driving in the country. After driving 4 then years in nigeria, I kw ao much it cost me to get a drivers license in the middle east! Cos their police are working and trying to at least set a gud mind set for every drivers on the road! Ensuring they understand d Do's n don't's ! I commend fashola Govt for a job well done. If auctioning of seized trucks wld make ppu seat tight then so be it. If am caught in the act, I don't mind to forfeit my car cos it wl serve as a lesson which I won't try 2 repeat again! Let who have ears hear! Eko oni baje o! To ba si baje, awa eyan na la wa nibe! Lo ba tan!

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by Spirit1(m): 3:10pm On Sep 21, 2012
packman:

[size=20pt]THAT WAS THE QUESTI0N I WANTED TO ASK IS THIS NOT STEALING DOES THE LAW REALLY ALLOWS SEIZED GOODS TO BE SOLD OFF GOSH NIGERIA WHAT A COUNTRY[/size]
The point is that if you don't want your vehicle confiscated and auctioned, you should obey the law. How do you think that most of the tokunbo cars that are auctioned in the United States and then shipped to Nigeria make it to auction? In the US, even things like driving with an expired driver’s license, improper vehicle registration can make you forfeit your car to government. Do you have a clue how many lives are lost due to traffic violation yearly in Nigeria? What the government should do additionally, is to arrest and jail LATSMA officials who take bride from offenders. We need to get serious in this country.

Governement should also get serious with towing away illegally parked vehicles that litter the streets, residential and business premises. Once parked in the street for more than a week, the owner should receive a BIG ticket and if the vehicle is not removed within the next one week and the fines paid,government should tow and auction the vehicle.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by edosg(m): 3:15pm On Sep 21, 2012
Fasola has a tendency to be dictatorial,it is very wrong for the vehicle to be auction off, where is that done anywhere in d world?mistakes are part of life , it is just killing an ant with a sledge hammer nonsense... Mctewwww.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by dammytosh: 3:16pm On Sep 21, 2012
Spirit1:
The point is that if you don't want your vehicle confiscated and auctioned, you should obey the law. How do you think that most of the tokunbo cars that are auctioned in the United States and then shipped to Nigeria make it to auction? In the US, even things like driving with an expired driver’s license, improper vehicle registration can make you forfeit your car to government. Do you have a clue how many lives are lost due to traffic violation yearly in Nigeria? What the government should do additionally, is to arrest and jail LATSMA officials who take bride from offenders. We need to get serious in this country.

Governement should also get serious with towing away illegally parked vehicles that litter the streets, residential and business premises. Once parked in the street for more than a week, the owner should receive a BIG ticket and if the vehicle is not removed within the next one week and the fines paid,government should tow and auction the vehicle.

Is the fine for passing one way in usa AUCTIONING OF UR CAR ? We are quick at picking examples from USA knowing fuly well that there are cameras over there. Here, a furious policeman or a useless lastma official can throw away ur papers all in an attempt to nail u for not giving him bribe.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by jammyunn(m): 3:17pm On Sep 21, 2012
I better use the money and buy garri.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by manny4life(m): 3:21pm On Sep 21, 2012
Spirit1:

You people have come again with your stories, In what state(s) does that one happen?

If you drive with expired license, you go to jail, NOT your car getting auctioned. Granted, you car will be towed away, I mean, who else will drive the car, but you can have someone (family or friend), pay the towing charge and have your car removed. Now, unless IF you abandoned you car, and I think it's 90 days or 180 days, which ever, then if I'm correct, the towing company will auction of your car i.e. after they have a court order to do so. In this case, the lien holder (the bank) during default (if financed), will move quickly to address defaults and damages aka risk mitigation.

As for the registration part, idk in what states that happens where improper registration leads to forfeiture of your car. How is it likely to have an improper registration? I mean, how di dyou get your tags with improper registration? Yeah, if something flags at DMV, they may require you to come in and resolve it but not forfeiting your car. That's just incorrect please.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by poweredcom(m): 3:21pm On Sep 21, 2012
Yeah I go like buy am oo I hope to win the auction and drives it around town and show my neigbour wey get range say I pass am now na bullion van I dey drive.....lol
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by phemweb: 3:24pm On Sep 21, 2012
“But the laws also stated that we must wait for two month before we begin the process of auctioning such vehicles.
[b][/b]

which means there is chance for them to get their properties back within 2 months.... all vehicle sized by Lagos state govt has an option of fine but some people will just abandon their vehicle at the premises without going back there.

Obey the traffic law simple. my 50 cent

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by Spirit1(m): 3:27pm On Sep 21, 2012
dammytosh:

And what happens to motorist who entered a one way lane innocently because there is no sign.

What about motorist who passed and a faulty traffic light came on while it was not suppose to. I have seen these instances and the guys were arrested. Call a spade a spade and don't wait till you can afford a car and they confiscate it before you condemn the barbaric law.

Even in USA that all of you scream they take cue from, a new traffic law like not obeying the Stop sign is $50 fine.

No, the fine in the US for not obeying a STOP sign is not $50. It ranges up to $170, plus appearance in court, taking defensive driving course and increasing your vehicle insurance premium. Repeat offenders who refuse to pay their fines can loose their license or even go to jail, depending on the circumstance. Even people who pay their fines but are habitual offenders can loose their license. The point is that we need to get serious in Nigeria. What the citizens should do is to find a way to begin to document through pictures and recording of conversations (with their smartphones) between LATSMA officials asking for bribe. Publish those pictures and videos online (in YouTube for example) and embarrass Fashola so he can also get serious with reigning in his "thugs". Enough is Enough!!!
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by phemweb: 3:27pm On Sep 21, 2012
dammytosh:

[b][/b]

what of when you refuse to pay the fine
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by basty: 3:27pm On Sep 21, 2012
Fashola is behaving a lawless advocate. There should be room for fair hearing. He cannot just seized somebody's car and auctioned it like that.
These Agberos called LASTMA will do anything to intimidate Lagosians.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by onyxo76(m): 3:27pm On Sep 21, 2012
A-ZeD:
I like this law. Too many idiots posing as drivers. I don't think any punishment is too much for someone driving against traffic. This law will curb the excesses of many drivers in the state. If you are a good driver, no need to worry.
ok good law,but has there been any moves to see those who own the truck and van.at most they should have been told to pay a fine and the vehicles released.
this looks more like stealing to me.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by manny4life(m): 3:32pm On Sep 21, 2012
phemweb: [/b][b][/b]

what of when you refuse to pay the fine

They are traffic tickets and nothing else. In some states, it's a criminal offense not to pay up your fines and dues owed to the govt and the municipal authority like my state VA, they will move quickly to place a lien on your account and may even suspend your license. Now, this is months down the road. Some states may suspend license after they've written several notices. It all depends on how much is owed.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by garripack: 3:33pm On Sep 21, 2012
Spirit1:

[size=15pt]U SHUD HAV GONE AHEAD ND IMPLEMENT DOES LAWS OF YOUR NAWA OLODO RABATA PPLE LIKE U CAN NEVA RULE UR CLASS - TYPES TALKLESS ABT UR STREET NOT EVEN UR VILLAGE NOR UR LOCAL GORVERNMENT COS U RE NOTIN BT A ONE WAY PERSON AND THATS Y U WUD FIND IT HARD TO RULE AND LIVE WIT OTHERS because U RE ALWAYS GIVING ORDERS [/size]
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by luvinhubby(m): 3:34pm On Sep 21, 2012
Some of us are supporting Lagos state govt. selling vehicles for TRAFFIC VIOLATION, soon they will start confiscation and selling of houses for not doing ENVIRONMENTAL SANITATION.
Govt. only confiscates properties acquired with proceeds of crime not for traffic violation.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by str8talk1: 3:38pm On Sep 21, 2012
dammytosh:

I am sure you guys dnt own a car or drive in Lagos state. So i can imagine the angle you are coming from. If you have ever parked to confirm if a road is one way drive or not because of lack of sign post, u will understand the pains of lagos motorists.
Good 4 u,u've a car as to u is a sign of achievement. datz ur priorty n investment,but itz doesnt remove d fact dat we hv 2many idiots posing as drivers,if i'm 2 borrow d comment of A-ZeD.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by rbjimoh: 3:48pm On Sep 21, 2012
dota: d law is stupid,dey shuld av jus put a fine.d law is jus owt to impoverish,d judiciary shuld review it.it is senseles to sel sm1ns thng cos he broke the law dats grave..dre are oda ways to punish
dota: d law is stupid,dey shuld av jus put a fine.d law is jus owt to impoverish,d judiciary shuld review it.it is senseles to sel sm1ns thng cos he broke the law dats grave..dre are oda ways to punish
Haven't there been fines for traffic offences in the last 5years or so of his administeration? Have people nonetheless been obeying the laws? It wouldn't hurt you to accept that the new law was introduced because people flaunted the former and that was also because it was easy for an offender to pay fines. But would it be easy now to forfeit their vehicles? Please, lets be rational citizens of the world for once.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by acidtalk: 3:54pm On Sep 21, 2012
Fashola Ole!
No need to auction them.
Keep the bullion van for easy transportation of stolen funds to your Father in bourdillon ikoyi and also the truck to transport foodstuffs to those old and hungry Local pest in ACN.

Bloody rogues.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by Paentera(m): 4:22pm On Sep 21, 2012
dammytosh:

What kind of leader leads a Government with draconic laws. Where in the world will Government sell your car for violating traffic 'law'. If you were the owner of the car, u will change ur mode of thinking.

Especially where there is even no sign to show u do's and don't on the road.

No problem, Welcome to Lagos, the most corrupt city in the world come next year. Cos the law is designed to promote bribery and corruption.

If you never knew before, well, today I can now knock it into your head that in a country such as UK, if you fail to pay your road or vehicle tax, your car will not even be just impounded, it will be CRUSHED!!![size=18pt][/size]

A law is there for a reason - if you fall foul of the law - you get punished. So avoid running foul of the law - how difficult can this be?
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by Cupidkc(m): 4:22pm On Sep 21, 2012
damoobaba: I hav an issue with this their one way stuff,most of these routes do not have any sign to show they are "one way" aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ of course the Agbero LASTMA officials are always quick to seize the opportunity to make extra cash.
Well said. Even when the signs are there,they are kinda hiden. Mtcheew...
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by EkoIle1: 4:26pm On Sep 21, 2012
If you can not obey our laws, leave our state--Fashola.

Law and order in lagos is a must.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by Kajiang02(m): 4:26pm On Sep 21, 2012
Fashola, the world is watching. The entire Nation is watching. We all know you intend (or your superiors want you) to run for a higher cause in governance.
Yet you tell me the govt will sell off my car I bought for a large sum of Money, cos I drove against traffic. There are other better fines and penalty oooo. If such person is billed within 25k to 50k, it wouldn't be bad oooo. Consider also that some of the 1way roads are still without sign posts. Tread softly oooo

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

APC: Buhari, Tinubu In Game Of Wits / BREAKING: NLC, TUC, ULC ADOPTS UDOM EMMANUEL AS SOLE CANDIDATE / Army Commanders Embezzle Millions Of Naira Donated By Zulum For Housing - SR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.