Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,490 members, 7,823,146 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:15 AM

Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck (11471 Views)

How GEJ's Govt. Used Bullion Vans To Cart Away N67.2bn From CBN - Premium Times / Police Arrest Bullion Van Robbers / IBB's Government Seized Buhari's Certificates - APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by ektbear: 11:28pm On Sep 21, 2012
Isn't this standard practice?

If you have your vehicle seized by your police somewhere for violating laws, is the expectation that they will hold it for you indefinitely? The storage space costs them money.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by strangest(m): 11:32pm On Sep 21, 2012
A-ZeD:

Good idea, lets abolish all laws so people can do what they like instead of robbing..

Relax, fasholas law is similar to sharia law, do you pluck a mans eyes for looking at another mans wife, yeah its a crime and a judgement need to be passed and not taking away a mans truck, Do you even know how many family that depends on the truck, the owner, the driver and the conductor... So you ve ended up taking something from three men... Very soon they will start selling your houses for not planting flower...
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by texazzpete(m): 12:02am On Sep 22, 2012
Spirit1:
The point is that if you don't want your vehicle confiscated and auctioned, you should obey the law. How do you think that most of the tokunbo cars that are auctioned in the United States and then shipped to Nigeria make it to auction? In the US, even things like driving with an expired driver’s license, improper vehicle registration can make you forfeit your car to government. Do you have a clue how many lives are lost due to traffic violation yearly in Nigeria? What the government should do additionally, is to arrest and jail LATSMA officials who take bride from offenders. We need to get serious in this country.

Governement should also get serious with towing away illegally parked vehicles that litter the streets, residential and business premises. Once parked in the street for more than a week, the owner should receive a BIG ticket and if the vehicle is not removed within the next one week and the fines paid,government should tow and auction the vehicle.

This was the same argument used to support introduction of Sharia law.

Very similar to "If you don't steal, don't worry about us cutting off your hand"
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by texazzpete(m): 12:04am On Sep 22, 2012
ekt_bear: Isn't this standard practice?

If you have your vehicle seized by your police somewhere for violating laws, is the expectation that they will hold it for you indefinitely? The storage space costs them money.

No, this is not. You have the option of paying a small fine and retrieving your vehicle.

What this means is that you can spend all your money buying a new Camry 2012 model...and Fashola's Government will confiscate it PERMANENTLY if you veer into a 'one-way' road by mistake.

This is the height of evil, IMHO.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by ektbear: 12:08am On Sep 22, 2012
Err. So there is no option of paying a fine to retrieve your car? If so, that is pretty extreme.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by EkoIle1: 12:23am On Sep 22, 2012
ekt_bear: Err. So there is no option of paying a fine to retrieve your
car? If so, that is pretty extreme.

Killing other people because you drove on the wrong side of the road is not only extreme, its fatal and even your fine and vehicle can not replace the lives lost. Saying any law is extreme is really pointless especially when the consequence of that law is known to you and you thumbed your finger at that law anyways. You lose your car because you are a law breaker, not because of some extreme law. There is nothing more extreme than a lawless society where people live like jungle animals and intentionally disobey every law insight.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by ektbear: 12:27am On Sep 22, 2012
I think making lawbreakers pay enormous fees is perfectly fine.

But confiscating the property outright...I mean, what if it is a $100,000 vehicle. Do I really deserve to lose that car because I went over the speed limit slightly, for example?

The punishment needs to fit the crime, not vastly exceed it.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by EkoIle1: 12:58am On Sep 22, 2012
The punishment fits the crime since the danger associated with driving on the wrong side of the road is death or fatal injuries. No vehicle is worth more than the lives of of your fellow man. Think about your actions and the lives you are endangering. Other jurisdictions in the same Nigeria are confiscating cars left and right for less offense, but its obviously a big deal because this is about Lagos state.

If you don't give a damn about other people's lives, why should yours be taken seriously talk less your damn car?
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by Nobody: 1:59am On Sep 22, 2012
A woman from Haiti packed like 6 cars in her yard without tags police told her to pack the cars out of her yard within 7 days.When they came back. they met the cars there still, she had to forfeit the cars to the state. midnight they came to my yard too asking me to move 10 cars out of my house if not the state gonna sell them
The law is from us,remember your governor used to leave here
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by group507(m): 3:50am On Sep 22, 2012
What of the driver is not the owner of the vehicle?
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by naptu2: 3:57am On Sep 22, 2012
It would be unconstitutional to auction the vehicles without a court order.

See section 36 of the 1999 constitution (Fundamental Rights: Right to Fair Hearing).

It would also violate the principles of Nemo Judex in Causa Sua (you can't be a judge in your own cause) and Audi Alteram partem (you must listen to both parties).

It would also go against the precedent set in the court judgement cited previously.

Remember, everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by naptu2: 4:15am On Sep 22, 2012
I'll repost details of the case.

[size=14pt]LASTMA can’t impose fine on traffic offenders – Court[/size]

On September 22, 2011 · In News
By INNOCENT ANABA

LAGOS- Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court, Lagos, has declared that Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, LASTMA, lacks the power to impose fine on traffic offenders.

[b]Delivering judgment in the suit filed by Mr. Jonathan Odutola, Justice Abang declared that sections 9, 11, 12 and 13 of the law establishing LASTMA is unconstitutional and of no effect.

The judge not only awarded N500,000 against LASTMA, but stated that the four sections of its law were contrary to Section 36 of the Constitution, which gives the right of fair- hearing to every Nigerian.

He held that while LASTMA has the power to arrest traffic offenders, it does not have the powers to impose fine on them, adding that instead, it is a court of law that has power to impose fine on anybody who contravenes the law.

The judge submitted that the imposition of fine on any traffic offender by LASTMA amounted to being a judge in its own cause.

He said: “Sections 9, 11, 12, and 13 of the law establishing LASTMA is unconstitutional. It is against the spirit of the Section 36 of the Constitution, which gives right of fair-hearing to every Nigerian. Moreover, that would amount to being a judge in your own cause.”[/b]

Odutola had dragged LASTMA to court for unlawfully impounding his car and imposing and slamming an illegal fine on him.

In the suit, he stated that last March, while driving his car on Third Mainland Bridge, it suddenly developed some mechanical problems.

According to him, to ensure that the car did not obstruct free flow of traffic, he immediately called a towing-van which towed the vehicle completely out of the road.

He said he also paid towing-van operator some money for the service rendered.

Odutola stated that he also called his mechanics to come and rescue him and the vehicle, adding that as soon as the mechanics arrived, some policemen patrolling the bridge who apparently wanted him to give them money refused them to work on the car.

When he insisted, Odutola and the mechanics were thoroughly beaten and harassed.

The policemen then called LASTMA officials at Sura, Lagos Island, who immediately came and towed the applicant’s car to their office and consequently slammed him with a fine if he must get his car back

https://www.nairaland.com/765555/lastma-t-impose-fine-traffic
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by luvinhubby(m): 7:05am On Sep 22, 2012
Nobody, including my humble self, is against this law, what we are stating is that the punishment FAR OUTWEIGHS the offence, for Pete`s sake it makes Sharia proponents look like saints.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by strangest(m): 7:17am On Sep 22, 2012
Eko Ile:

Killing other people because you drove on the wrong side of the road is not only extreme, its fatal and even your fine and vehicle can not replace the lives lost. Saying any law is extreme is really pointless especially when the consequence of that law is known to you and you thumbed your finger at that law anyways. You lose your car because you are a law breaker, not because of some extreme law. There is nothing more extreme than a lawless society where people live like jungle animals and intentionally disobey every law insight.

Why don't you wait till someone is killed first, I am not surprised that you are supporting this bullsht... Yorouba muslim...
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by olivertwist: 9:20am On Sep 22, 2012
'DO IN ROME AS ROMANS DO'

If you come to Lagos from any part of Nigeria, obey Lagos state traffic rules and whenever you go back to your different states, continue to break the traffic rules. Is this too hard for anyone to comprehend?
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by olivertwist: 9:24am On Sep 22, 2012
Eko Ile:

Thank you.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by olivertwist: 9:28am On Sep 22, 2012
ekt_bear: I think making lawbreakers pay enormous fees is perfectly fine.

But confiscating the property outright...I mean, what if it is a $100,000 vehicle. Do I really deserve to lose that car because I went over the speed limit slightly, for example?

The punishment needs to fit the crime, not vastly exceed it.

It's like you place more value on your car than the life of other road users.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by Nobody: 10:04am On Sep 22, 2012
That law won't last long or it will be amended.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by Nobody: 10:11am On Sep 22, 2012
I know for sure that had it been GEJ that made this law all you youroba guys would have been criticing him as clueless but as far as its Fashola it is good even when the penalty of the law is against the law of the land.

You don't seize another mans property to sell it, the should fine those that broke the law and give them up to 2 months to pay up and take their property and if they fails to pay within that 2 months then the property will be aunctioned
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by olivertwist: 11:01am On Sep 22, 2012
gboss4sure: I know for sure that had it been GEJ that made this law all you youroba guys would have been criticing him as clueless but as far as its Fashola it is good even when the penalty of the law is against the law of the land.

You don't seize another mans property to sell it, the should fine those that broke the law and give them up to 2 months to pay up and take their property and if they fails to pay within that 2 months then the property will be aunctioned

My friend, we are talking about driving on the wrong side of the road i.e facing upcoming vehicles in a one way road. Do you drive at all? Pls, forget all these talk about GEJ. We all can see how he's handling the DANA aviations disaster. It takes a very tough person to make a tough decision and stand by it. How can a federal minister said the committee they set up made a mistake by revoking DANA aviations operating license just few months after the disaster, when the family of the victims are still mourning their loved ones.

We all know the minister has been bribed one way or the other. So, how do you want us to take GEJ serious. I bet you, GEJ cannot make this type of laws we are seeing in Lagos because he himself cannot abide by it. Have you seen the first lady visit to Lagos before?
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by dabossman(m): 3:40pm On Sep 22, 2012
damoobaba: I hav an issue with this their one way stuff,most of these routes do not have any sign to show they are "one way" aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ of course the Agbero LASTMA officials are always quick to seize the opportunity to make extra cash.

Guy, the truck was caught on 3rd Mainland Bridge! Do u need a street sign to indicate One-way there too? Let's all be careful. When not sure about a particular route, err on the side of caution. Better safe than sorry.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by dabossman(m): 3:57pm On Sep 22, 2012
naptu2: It would be unconstitutional to auction the vehicles without a court order.

See section 36 of the 1999 constitution (Fundamental Rights: Right to Fair Hearing).

It would also violate the principles of Nemo Judex in Causa Sua (you can't be a judge in your own cause) and Audi Alteram partem (you must listen to both parties).

It would also go against the precedent set in the court judgement cited previously.

Remember, everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Thank you my good fellow. That's what I like to hear. You have a right to challenge the laws if you feel wronged. Instead all u get here is sentimental talk of how much a car costs. Can it buy a life?
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by GROdom: 4:21pm On Sep 22, 2012
Good
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by albacete(m): 3:10am On Sep 23, 2012
strangest:

Why don't you wait till someone is killed first, I am not surprised that you are supporting this bullsht... Yorouba muslim...
sorry to ask but did u really type that?
Do u know how many times these careless drivers have killed others, all in d name of hurrying to deposit money into d bank?

There is no need being tribalistic here. What has being a Yoruba muslim(or any other tribe/religion of any sort) got to do with all of this?
@the bolded: don't wish for others what u wouldn't want t for urself. What if that somebody was u?
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by albacete(m): 3:22am On Sep 23, 2012
texazzpete:

No, this is not. You have the option of paying a small fine and retrieving your vehicle.

What this means is that you can spend all your money buying a new Camry 2012 model...and Fashola's Government will confiscate it PERMANENTLY if you veer into a 'one-way' road by mistake.

This is the height of evil, IMHO.
Not 'one way' but driving against traffic. People don't drive against traffic 'by mistake', it's always a deliberate act which often results to loss of lives on the part of pedestrians who probably might not look on both sides of the road before crossing.
As for me, i dey look wella oo weda na single lane or double lane cos anytin fit happen.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by texazzpete(m): 9:17am On Sep 23, 2012
albacete:
Not 'one way' but driving against traffic. People don't drive against traffic 'by mistake', it's always a deliberate act which often results to loss of lives on the part of pedestrians who probably might not look on both sides of the road before crossing.
As for me, i dey look wella oo weda na single lane or double lane cos anytin fit happen.

I'm not sure if you're just trolling, but in the new lagos law, you'd lose your vehicle if you drive into a one-way road.

Eko Ile: The punishment fits the crime since the danger associated with driving on the wrong side of the road is death or fatal injuries. No vehicle is worth more than the lives of of your fellow man. Think about your actions and the lives you are endangering. Other jurisdictions in the same Nigeria are confiscating cars left and right for less offense, but its obviously a big deal because this is about Lagos state.

If you don't give a damn about other people's lives, why should yours be taken seriously talk less your damn car?

Apparently it's only in Nigeria that driving against traffic can kill people. Show me any other civilized country where the penalty for such a road traffic offence is CONFISCATION.

What happened to fining the driver and confiscating his Drivers license that most sane societies do? Abi their citizens there are invulnerable?

Nonsense!
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by mapet: 9:32am On Sep 23, 2012
Read the underlined again......"to thin own self be true, and follow the night as the day.....thou cannot be false"

1. That is what the law says, you violate....you're fine/jailed and your vehicle confisiacated
2. Most of the roads in Lagos has basic road signs, but short of arguing that, you mean you need a road sign to tell you not to drive on the wrong side , facing oncoming traffic in TMB?
3. "They change the direction on the one way as it pleases them....." haha!!!! come of it, if you're going to lie, a stupid one is even worse
4. Breaking the law and perpertual lawlessness is criminal. I wonder when the law started reconginsing cost of the purchase of your car as justification to break laws

You guys are somehow pathetic. You blame the government that nothing seemingly works in our environment. You compare us to other countries where things obviously work like UK, US, SA etc, yet genuine efforts to start putting some of these structures in place, you cry. How many of you will drive against the traffic in UK or US
billante:

My thoughts exactly....what kind of revenue generation pass this one?![u][b] Because i violate their so called traffic laws that sometimes is not my fault, cause most of their roads don't have one way sign! And they change the direction of the one way as it pleases them...[/u]they will claim ownership of a car I bought 4-5 million and I will loose my car. That stealing in d highest order! What happened to d fine.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by EkoIle1: 12:07pm On Sep 23, 2012
mapet: Read the underlined again......"to thin own self be true, and follow the night as the day.....thou cannot be false"

1. That is what the law says, you violate....you're fine/jailed and your vehicle confisiacated
2. Most of the roads in Lagos has basic road signs, but short of arguing that, you mean you need a road sign to tell you not to drive on the wrong side , facing oncoming traffic in TMB?
3. "They change the direction on the one way as it pleases them....." haha!!!! come of it, if you're going to lie, a stupid one is even worse
4. Breaking the law and perpertual lawlessness is criminal. I wonder when the law started reconginsing cost of the purchase of your car as justification to break laws

You guys are somehow pathetic. You blame the government that nothing seemingly works in our environment. You compare us to other countries where things obviously work like UK, US, SA etc, yet genuine efforts to start putting some of these structures in place, you cry. How many of you will drive against the traffic in UK or US

Well said. Nigerians are used to lawlessness and its going to take a lot to tame them. lawlessness is all they know and are used to.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by luvinhubby(m): 10:21pm On Sep 23, 2012
Eko Ile:

Well said. Nigerians are used to lawlessness and its going to take a lot to tame them. lawlessness is all they know and are used to.
The issue is not law breaking, we are all against it, it`s the JUSTICE factor that is being questioned, it is not JUST to auction off a man`s automobile for traffic violation, Lagos is the only place on earth where this is applicable, tell me another place.
Just hope some aggrieved party will test this law in a court of competent jurisdiction so that we`ll all know it`s legitimacy.
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by EkoIle1: 1:44am On Sep 24, 2012
luvinhubby:
The issue is not law breaking, we are all against it, it`s the JUSTICE factor that is being questioned, it is not JUST to auction off a man`s automobile for traffic violation, Lagos is the only place on earth where this is applicable, tell me another place.
Just hope some aggrieved party will test this law in a court of competent jurisdiction so that we`ll all know it`s legitimacy.

The issue is about law breaking because they only take your vehicle if you violate the law. Don't violate and your car will remain yours. I really don't care about your stupid car that you think has more value than human life.

You people are just used to lawlessness, you are like animals, you want to exist in a lawless jungle without law and order and without sanity, you want to live in a society where you are free to endanger other people's lives at will. That's your problem, but that criminal thinking and way of life is no more in Lagos, we will have law and order in Lagos state and if you can not obey simple laws, go back to your village or other lawless places and drive on all sides of the road, even drive inside your bedroom and kill everybody inside, that's your problem, but not in Lagos.

I don't have to show you where else around the world they confiscate cars, they do it inside your own country for less traffic offenses. Get with the program..

FRSC impounds 50 vehicles for flouting traffic offences

FRSC impounds 50 vehicles for flouting traffic offences

Wednesday, 08 August 2012

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) said that it impounded 50 vehicles during a special patrol on the Abeokuta-Lagos Expressway.

Mr Fatai Bakare, the Itori Unit Commander in Ogun, told the News Agency Nigeria (NAN) in Abeokuta on Monday that the drivers of the vehicles were arrested for violating different traffic offences.

“Our main aim for conducting the patrol is to reduce drastically and if possible phase out accidents and loss of human lives on our roads; we are going to give it our best to achieve our aim.

“Lives are lost on a daily basis due to avoidable accidents, nonchalant attitudes, carelessness and total disregard for traffic laws and regulations,” Bakare said.

He explained that some of the offences included dangerous driving, light sign and caution signs violations, seat belt violation, among others.

The unit commander said that one of the arrested motorists would face additional charge for attempting to bribe one of the FRSC officials with N200.
http://www.sunday.tribune.com.ng/index.php/community-news/45491-frsc-impounds-50-vehicles-for-flouting-traffic-offences
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by darziglar: 1:45am On Sep 24, 2012
dont worry....this tenor will soon expire....they will solicit for votes abi...we are waitin
Re: Lagos To Auction Seized Bullion Van, Truck by darziglar: 1:46am On Sep 24, 2012
dont worry....this tenor will soon expire....they will solicit for our votes abi...we are waitin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

El Rufai's Accidental Public Servant / Restructuring Comment: Southern, Middle Belt Forum, Others Tackle Buhari / Ayuba Wabba: Labour Party Belongs To NLC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.