Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,191 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:10 AM

NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities (32147 Views)

How To Know If You Are Among Candidates Scheduled To Re-sit Jamb 2016 / NUC Bans Online Degrees, Abacha Varsity Certificates / Dead Students Write Exams in Oko Poly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by BeraBera(f): 4:12pm On Sep 21, 2012
The National Universities Commission (NUC), the body charged with the responsibility of monitoring the activities of universities in the country, has banned the conduct of re-sit examinations in Nigerian universities.
The NUC, in a statement by its Chief Information Officer, Mrs Bukola Olatunji, in Abuja, on Wednesday, frowned on the discovery that some universities conduct supplementary examination for their students, in addition to regular semester examinations.
The commission therefore warned that the conduct of such examinations was in violation of extant rules and regulations, and urged all universities involved to stop the practice henceforth or face sanction.
In her words, “The attention of the NUC has been drawn to the fact that some universities conduct supplementary examination for their students, in addition to regular semester examinations… This contradicts the Course Credit System in operation in the Nigerian university system, which has no provision for re-sit or supplementary examinations.
“For the avoidance of doubt, the Course Credit System provides that courses should be taken on semester basis and a course failed in one semester should be carried over to the following year and to be re-taken at the next available opportunity.”

http://www.informationnigeria.org/2012/09/no-more-re-sit-exams-in-universities-nuc.html
http://talkofnaija.com/news_details.aspx?NewsId=C7A372C3-AB0E-464E-A3A7-2211D4DB648B

3 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Afam4eva(m): 4:14pm On Sep 21, 2012
What's their business with what goes on inside a school. Shouldn't it be the duty of the universities to determine whether or not they want their students to resit? I think some people are taking lectures from Fashola of Lagos. This law is a draconian law that does not sit well with common sense me.

6 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Joey82(m): 4:18pm On Sep 21, 2012
resit ke?
I neva heard that name through out my school days,
and the law isnt draconian, if u fail a course, u carry it over, reasob being that scripts are not immediately marked and compiled because of the bulk of work on lecturer's table.
so i'm wondering how the resit thing is executed, i think its fraudulent.

3 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by TonySpike: 4:25pm On Sep 21, 2012
This latest rule by NUC may be mainly directed towards the private universities. As we all know, these universities don't believe students can fail after paying so much money, so they organise re-sits during holidays at a "marketable" fee. grin

25 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by NiceKid2(f): 4:27pm On Sep 21, 2012
BeraBera: “The attention of the NUC has been drawn to the fact that some universities conduct supplementary examination for their students, in addition to regular semester examinations… This contradicts the Course Credit System in operation in the Nigerian university system, which has no provision for re-sit or supplementary examinations.
“For the avoidance of doubt, the Course Credit System provides that courses should be taken on semester basis and a course failed in one semester should be carried over to the following year and to be re-taken at the next available opportunity.” http://talkofnaija.com/news_details.aspx?NewsId=C7A372C3-AB0E-464E-A3A7-2211D4DB648B
But come to think of it, re-sit and sorting, which one is better? People that pay lecturers in cash/kind to get good scores and those who want to try-again, whom would you prefer?

3 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by NiceKid2(f): 4:28pm On Sep 21, 2012
Tony Spike: This latest rule by NUC may be mainly directed towards the private universities. As we all know, these universities don't believe students can fail after paying so much money, so they organise re-sits during holidays at a "marketable" fee. grin
They call it REMEDIAL programme

2 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 21, 2012
That's why we have so many First class from covenant University. Walai, if I attended CU, I go have over 1st class. grin

17 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by gidiMonsta(m): 4:35pm On Sep 21, 2012
afam4eva: What's their business with what goes on inside a school. Shouldn't it be the duty of the universities to determine whether or not they want their students to resit? I think some people are taking lectures from Fashola of Lagos. This law is a draconian law that does not sit well with common sense me.

I'm so glad u crossed common sense cos it seems to be far from you at this moment.

What concerns NUC with what goes on in a university? Are you for real? shocked shocked shocked

13 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by alaoeri: 4:37pm On Sep 21, 2012
This 'll surely reduce the number of first class & 2.1 in babcock, covenant etc.

8 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by SlyIg(f): 4:38pm On Sep 21, 2012
I even thought its carry over courses they were talking abt. But wait a minute,if they should say 'no more carry over courses in d uni ...' wow!

2 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by chii8(f): 4:39pm On Sep 21, 2012
NUC,gudmorn oooo cos it seems u guys jst woke from deep sleep

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by DICKtator: 4:39pm On Sep 21, 2012
afam4eva: What's their business with what goes on inside a school. Shouldn't it be the duty of the universities to determine whether or not they want their students to resit? I think some people are taking lectures from Fashola of Lagos. This law is a draconian law that does not sit well with common sense me.

You obviously do not know that NUC is the University Regulatory Board that set standards and regulate the affairs of Universities both Private and Government.
Even the universities that you are speculating their independence have representatives on the NUC board/Committee
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by jammyunn(m): 4:40pm On Sep 21, 2012
Too bad!
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Nobody: 4:42pm On Sep 21, 2012
Joey82: resit ke?
I neva heard that name through out my school days,
and the law isnt draconian, if u fail a course, u carry it over, reasob being that scripts are not immediately marked and compiled because of the bulk of work on lecturer's table.
so i'm wondering how the resit thing is executed, i think its fraudulent.
Resit is common in private universities.

It is also applicable in the school of medical/health/pharmacy of some or most government universities where students usually graduate with a pass or distinction. If a student fails the Resit, then he/she repeats the year.

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Wadasco(m): 4:42pm On Sep 21, 2012
grin tongue
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by touchmehard: 4:44pm On Sep 21, 2012
SlyIg: I even thought its carry over courses they were talking abt. But wait a minute,if they should say 'no more carry over courses in d uni ...' wow!
No, it's not carry-over. They approved of carry over. But it's d remedial exam/re-sit that they banned. In some private universities, u carry over only when u fail to pass the remedial exam

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Gamuguma(m): 4:45pm On Sep 21, 2012
nothing is wrong with re-sit exams. NUC should make sure universities have proper equipments so as to make our graduate has proper practical knowledge. That is their main tax. Gbam
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Nobody: 4:45pm On Sep 21, 2012
BeraBera: The National Universities Commission (NUC), the body charged with the responsibility of monitoring the activities of universities in the country, has banned the conduct of re-sit examinations in Nigerian universities.
The NUC, in a statement by its Chief Information Officer, Mrs Bukola Olatunji, in Abuja, on Wednesday, frowned on the discovery that some universities conduct supplementary examination for their students, in addition to regular semester examinations.
The commission therefore warned that the conduct of such examinations was in violation of extant rules and regulations, and urged all universities involved to stop the practice henceforth or face sanction.
In her words, “The attention of the NUC has been drawn to the fact that some universities conduct supplementary examination for their students, in addition to regular semester examinations… This contradicts the Course Credit System in operation in the Nigerian university system, which has no provision for re-sit or supplementary examinations.
“For the avoidance of doubt, the Course Credit System provides that courses should be taken on semester basis and a course failed in one semester should be carried over to the following year and to be re-taken at the next available opportunity.”

http://www.informationnigeria.org/2012/09/no-more-re-sit-exams-in-universities-nuc.html
http://talkofnaija.com/news_details.aspx?NewsId=C7A372C3-AB0E-464E-A3A7-2211D4DB648B
So they want to extend their stay at the university abi? pathetic

2 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Tiaamo40: 4:45pm On Sep 21, 2012
ok
BeraBera: The National Universities Commission (NUC), the body charged with the responsibility of monitoring the activities of universities in the country, has banned the conduct of re-sit examinations in Nigerian universities.

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Emmykeyz(m): 4:46pm On Sep 21, 2012
DAMMIT!!!!!
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by chloride6: 4:47pm On Sep 21, 2012

geez you are the most glaring definition of poor quality. u must be a product of OSU.

2 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Afam4eva(m): 4:48pm On Sep 21, 2012
gidiMonsta:

I'm so glad u crossed common sense cos it seems to be far from you at this moment.

What concerns NUC with what goes on in a university? Are you for real? shocked shocked shocked

Are you for fake? It's not every statement that you interpret with a kindergarten eye. Of course we all know NUC is the body that regulates universities in Nigeria but that doesn't mean the universities should not have some kinda relative independence. Very soon NUC will tell them the kind of flower to plant in all the schools.

3 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by DICKtator: 4:49pm On Sep 21, 2012
alaoeri: This 'll surely reduce the number of first class & 2.1 in babcock, covenant etc.

I may be wrong, but i don't think someone on a first class would have a carry over.. No matter what, a carry over must make your GPA/CGPA drop
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Demdem(m): 4:50pm On Sep 21, 2012

its their business. NUC is a sort of regulatory body for universities in Nigeria. They arent there for show. Comply with the rules or close shop. SIMPLE.

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by 2rutalk1: 4:52pm On Sep 21, 2012
This latest rule by NUC may be mainly directed towards the private universities. As we all know, these universities don't believe students can fail after paying so much money, so they organise re-sits during holidays at a "marketable" fee.

That reminds me of a guy I worked with in the same department (research/statistics) during my youth service days. He graduated from one of these Private Unis. We studied the same course (Economics). I was like his lecturer in the office. Perhaps, I wept profusely when he told me he made first class in Economics. The guy in question would have found it difficult to graduate with 2.2 in my school. That is what private Uni/money can do

3 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Afam4eva(m): 4:54pm On Sep 21, 2012
2ru-talk:

That reminds me of a guy I worked with in the same department (research/statistics) during my youth service days. He graduated from one of these Private Unis. We studied the same course (Economics). I was like his lecturer in the office. Perhaps, I wept profusely when he told me he made first class in Economics. The guy in question would have found it difficult to graduate with 2.2 in my school. That is what private Uni/money can do
In private universities, first class degrees are free for all.

3 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by highlandre(m): 4:56pm On Sep 21, 2012
Like or hate me, I support the ban sad

3 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by EdwinB1(m): 4:57pm On Sep 21, 2012
the name NUC already tells you what they stands for.....so they have every right to act..
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by free2ryhme: 4:57pm On Sep 21, 2012

never heard of re-sit befor oooo shocked
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by lakesider(m): 4:59pm On Sep 21, 2012
Notin is wrong with resit exam as long as i m writing it from my brain.in advanced country U can walk out of exam hall Nd. Av your paper resheduled if U feel U ll fail d paper.outdated pple @ work

6 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by aryzgreat: 5:00pm On Sep 21, 2012
NO MORE 180 FIRST CLASS STUDENTS FROM BABCOCK AND CONVENANT UNIVERSITIES WHERE STUDENST RE-SIT TO RECTIFY THEIR POOR RESULTS AND COUNT THEM AS FRESS COURSE(THE OLD SCORES ARE ERASED AND THE RE-SIT SCORE IS ACCEPTED). FIRST CLASS MY ANUS! IF U FAIL, U CARRY OVER AND GOD PUNISH U NA 4 OR 3 CREDIT UNIT, IT EATS UP UR G.P

3 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Dsage1: 5:02pm On Sep 21, 2012

Did you really know the meaning of NUC?

@topic, I wonder why did they canceled it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FG Stops Salaries Of University Workers Not Enrolled On IPPIS / 2nd Edition Of The XFIRE Nairaland Scholarship Quiz-Final Test In Progress / Unilag Postgraduate Information Thread 2021/2022 Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.