Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,665 members, 7,955,403 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:03 AM

NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities (32456 Views)

How To Know If You Are Among Candidates Scheduled To Re-sit Jamb 2016 / NUC Bans Online Degrees, Abacha Varsity Certificates / Dead Students Write Exams in Oko Poly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by timmy7(m): 6:07am On Sep 22, 2012
Osheshe:

And why not? Why shouldn't the ban affect colleges/faculties of medicine/pharmacy?

Its ok to ban resits in 'all' universities...but medical schools should be exempted? Do they have another body that governs their activities?

Please, a resit is a resit! For the ban to be effective, it has to be total! No preferential treatment for anyone!
Hey! Hey! Hey!!! You are gradually moving from the sublime to the ridiculous! How can you compare resit in medical colleges who dont operate the GPA/CGPA system and where you are trained to manage human lives with resit in other faculty? Medicine/pharmacy deal with human lives not buildings as in architecture. Abegi resit is not resit. Colleges of medicine nationwide do resit exam which is fair enough and quite understandable, am reading it here for the first time that 'some' private universities do resit, this is unfair to others who dont have such opportunity, simple as that. I'd be disappointed to learn of any faculty other than medicine/pharmacy in federal and state universities doing that.

4 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by ZackiGp(m): 6:55am On Sep 22, 2012
They better know wat dey are saying becos in faculty of health sciences and veterinary medicine resit exams is inevitable.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Dmix: 7:48am On Sep 22, 2012
They'r not c'rious @ all
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by webizone(m): 8:26am On Sep 22, 2012
solidbroda: That's why we have so many First class from covenant University. Walai, if I attended CU, I go have over 1st class. grin

Na ur money kill am, now u know why.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Nobody: 8:47am On Sep 22, 2012
Summer is not all about re-sit as u guys assume, some student do have missen grades in private uni's, so must they spend extra year because of that
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Synthase(m): 9:10am On Sep 22, 2012
topsnet: Summer is not all about re-sit as u guys assume, some student do have missen grades in private uni's, so must they spend extra year because of that
missing grades in a private university? Give a better reason please! Missing result is either the fault of lecturer or student, but in either case in a state or federal university, the student always bear the brunt of such. I dont expect that scenario to surface in a private university. You made it look like missing result is the primary cause of extra year especially when the course is a minimum of four years. Next!!!
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by 360command: 9:12am On Sep 22, 2012
tissot84: Hmmmm.
Hmmmmm

NUC
for real, i think u all need to know where the children of the so called NUC LEADERS schooled.
i am not sure they are schooling in Nigeria But OVERSEAS that y u see everyone traveling(running)out to obtain their Masters degree IN UK, US AND EVEN IRAQ grin
I am in full support of the so called re-sit program.

1) WHEN YOU DO LIKE TWELVE (12) TO FIFTEEN(15) COURSES AS TO THE MAXIMUM OF FOUR(4) THEY DO IN ABROAD
2) THEN THE PROBABILITY OF YOU FAILING ONE OR MORE COURSES SET IN
2) BECOS U FAILED SOME COURSES U NEED TO STAY EXTRA YEAR(S)
3) IF U FAILED AND U NEED TO STAY A YEAR THEN WHAT IS THE POSSIBILITY THAT THE ONE YEAR WONT TURN TO THREE BECOS OF THEIR STUPID STRIKE
4) THEN YOU END UP GRADUATING AT THE AGE OF 24 (IF YOU ARE LUCKY) OR ABOVE, SERVE THE NATION FOR A YEAR WHICH MAKES YOU 25 THEN YOU HAVE ONLY ONE YEAR TO COMPETE IN THE LABOR MARKET (MIN OF 26 YEARS OF AGE FOR MANAGEMENT TRAINEE PROGRAMS).

IMAGE LIFE IN PUBLIC UNIVERSITIES
ENTERED AT THE AGE OF 18YEARS
AND UR PROGRAM IS FOR 4YEARS
AND UR SCHOOL IS ON STRIKE FOR LIKE 2YEARS WITHIN THE 4YEARS
AND YOU HAVE A CARRY OVER FOR A YEAR BUT ANOTHER ONE YEAR STRIKE TO MAKE IT TWO YEARS
THEN YOU MIGHT END UP GRADUATING AT THE AGE OF 26
+ NYSC grin

AT THE END OF THE DAY, THEIR CHILDREN WILL COME BACK FROM LONDON MET AND STILL SECURE A JOB B4 YOU BECOS THEY DID NOT SCHOOL IN NIGERIA AND THEY ARE STILL YOUNG.

SEE NUC NEED TO GET THINGS RIGHT AND THEY SHOULD STOP MORTGAGING PEEPS FUTURE.

I agree with you on what you said, the Nigerian university are just been silly..one thing that annoys me is for a fact that we do about 9-14 courses in the first semester at against other university abroad doing 4-6 courses , thereby making the students in the Nigerian University have more failures when they probably do like 18-28 courses for that Full academic year. When i was studying at the private university in Nigeria, it was just silly when i was doing 18 courses for a full academic year and this went on to my 3rd year in the university(it was not easy passing those courses that were not relevant to what i was studying).

Unlike studying in the UK university doing their kind of programme of 8 courses for a full academic year, it makes my studies so easy and makes me feel like a bright student not having any form of failures.. I ask myself, anyone having a re-sit & studying in the UK programme, might not know what he/she is doing.. cos it is really so easy going through their system of education.

I think the number of courses one should be doing in the university needs to be reduced down to 10 or 11 courses for a full year instead of the rubbish 18-20 courses(most especially in the 1st year of the university) before NUC should think of banning resit exams.. my point is, our curriculum needs to be reviewed in the university. They need to check why people fail, why people resit exams, etc.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Osheshe(f): 9:18am On Sep 22, 2012
timmy7:
Hey! Hey! Hey!!! You are gradually moving from the sublime to the ridiculous! How can you compare resit in medical colleges who dont operate the GPA/CGPA system and where you are trained to manage human lives with resit in other faculty? Medicine/pharmacy deal with human lives not buildings as in architecture. Abegi resit is not resit. Colleges of medicine nationwide do resit exam which is fair enough and quite understandable, am reading it here for the first time that 'some' private universities do resit, this is unfair to others who dont have such opportunity, simple as that. I'd be disappointed to learn of any faculty other than medicine/pharmacy in federal and state universities doing that.

Oh really? You actually think the absence of a CGPA system qualifies medical students for resit examinations?

My dear, if you're applauding and embracing the ban, there should be no buts. If there are medical students who can pass their written/oral/clinical exams at one sitting, then resit should be scrapped.

No profession is higher than another. Talking about doctors being trained to save lives and architects to understand buildings...lemme tell you some.

The torture never ends. I passed through medical school too, before swapping fields. So I'm plenty informed and educated in both fields.

Burning the midnight oil? Going days without sleeep? Skipping meals? The tension is present in all departments. Architects are trained to have a thorough understanding of buildings, yes. In the event of a building caving in, who's to blame? The architect!

The essence of architecture is not limited to creating buildings with aesthetic appeal, or symmetrical functionality. Safety is a paramount design consideration too.

Who gets to design hospitals, clinics and medical complexes? Lemme not derail here...my point is being a medical or architectural or engineering student is quite irrelevant. An examination remains an examination! If there are people who pass without resits, then the concept should be scrapped completely. No 'buts'.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by siddiq202(m): 9:26am On Sep 22, 2012
[size=13pt]you people are still here [/size]
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Synthase(m): 9:36am On Sep 22, 2012
nas 00: NUC is right.

It is plain and logical. This ban on resit exams applies to ALL courses where grade point system is used, because a true CGPA (cumulative grade point average) does not take into account resit exams.

The ideal is: Fail or pass, ALL the scores of any student studying grade point system course is used in computing the student's CGPA.
The only exam a student is permitted to re-register for and write again at the next semester (or next available opportunity) are failed COMPULSORY courses, otherwise known as carry-overs.. And BOTH the score of the initially failed attempt and the eventually passed carry-over are used in computing the student's CGPA.

In essence, resit is ILLEGAL for grade point system courses.

On the other hand, resit exams are the norm in certain courses that do not utilize grade points beyond the preliminary year. E.g: Medicine & Surgery, Veterinary Medicine, Pharmacy
That is why you can NEVER hear someone graduating with a 1st class these courses. You can only pass, and qualify as a Medical/Vet Doctor or Pharmacist.. And for as long as you keep failing resit exams in any of these courses, you keep repeating the same year until you either pass or you are booted out of the system.

NUC has done very well on this.
Perfect! It is either they completely ban it or enforce other universities to conduct resit exams, lobatan!
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by ogahope(m): 9:36am On Sep 22, 2012
Gamuguma: nothing is wrong with re-sit exams. NUC should make sure universities have proper equipments so as to make our graduate has proper practical knowledge. That is their main tax. Gbam
Wake up man. NUC is doin d rit tin
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by timmy7(m): 10:04am On Sep 22, 2012
Osheshe:

Oh really? You actually think the absence of a CGPA system qualifies medical students for resit examinations?

My dear, if you're applauding and embracing the ban, there should be no buts. If there are medical students who can pass their written/oral/clinical exams at one sitting, then resit should be scrapped.

No profession is higher than another. Talking about doctors being trained to save lives and architects to understand buildings...lemme tell you some.

The torture never ends. I passed through medical school too, before swapping fields. So I'm plenty informed and educated in both fields.

Burning the midnight oil? Going days without sleeep? Skipping meals? The tension is present in all departments. Architects are trained to have a thorough understanding of buildings, yes. In the event of a building caving in, who's to blame? The architect!

The essence of architecture is not limited to creating buildings with aesthetic appeal, or symmetrical functionality. Safety is a paramount design consideration too.

Who gets to design hospitals, clinics and medical complexes? Lemme not derail here...my point is being a medical or architectural or engineering student is quite irrelevant. An examination remains an examination! If there are people who pass without resits, then the concept should be scrapped completely. No 'buts'.
No one is saying a profession is higher than the other, but you will agree that a profession that deals with life must be regulated strictly both in training and in practice.
The issue here is not even about whether the non operation of CGPA system in medical schools qualify them for resit exams rather, it is about recognising the fact that NUC is the institutional framework that regulates standards in Nigerian universities and that they have requirements that must be met before a university in Nigeria can be accredited to run a particular course of study. What this simply means is that each course has its own sets of guidelines and standards defined in the course content, quality of lecturer, capacity, result computation etc therefore, if health colleges are allowed to do resit exams, that's what the guidelines stipulates and I dont think there is any issue with that since that is what is obtainable in any university in Nigeria both private and public. The issue here is therefore a case of imbalance in the system where some university run resit exams for the same courses where the NUC guidelines stipulate otherwise while others dont. This is the main issue afterall what is good for the goose is also good for the gender.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Nobody: 10:21am On Sep 22, 2012
Synthase:
missing grades in a private university? Give a better reason please! Missing result is either the fault of lecturer or student, but in either case in a state or federal university, the student always bear the brunt of such. I dont expect that scenario to surface in a private university. You made it look like missing result is the primary cause of extra year especially when the course is a minimum of four years. Next!!!
My brother who finished from a private unu had 2 missen grades, we all human and can make mistakes with scores and names...if not for summer, na extra year he for graduate...so lets consider and some people do ahead coures(courses for the next semester in summer) cuz of unknown circumstances
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by omicron(m): 10:39am On Sep 22, 2012
Osheshe:

You point may make sense to sb with shallow knowledge of what med school is all about, but if u really understand med college then u shd know u r just blabbing! It is clear u have no understanding of what goes on in med school even though u claim so. For your mind med students should carry over their MBBS professional exam. And i ask how? Carry it over to the next semester or what, cos MBBS exams have nothing to do with semester. A med student writes their first MB 18 months after the basic sciences, and then does the next MB 12 months after passing the previous one. So if he is to carry the previous one over to the next one, it means he'd be preparin for two separate MBs side by side, one to be completed in 18months and the other in 12 months, and he is supposed to pass the one of 18 mnths before that of 12 months. Dont u see it doesnt even make sense, its not even possible. Not to mention the fact that these MBs are not the regular 2, 3, or 6-credit courses that people write in school. In fact a single course in an MB is the same thing that someone studies elsewhere throughout the last three years of a five year course. Imagine if its to be given a credit load....each of them will not be anything less than 20 units! So my dear its not possible, u should know that. Unless u have something personal with the medical college.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by NwaAnambra(m): 11:19am On Sep 22, 2012
lakesider: Notin is wrong with resit exam as long as i m writing it from my brain.in advanced country U can walk out of exam hall Nd. Av your paper resheduled if U feel U ll fail d paper.outdated pple @ work
I CAN C U RE A PRODUCT OF ONE OF THESE PRIVATE UNI-NONSENSE, PROBABLY U CUDN'T PASS UR POST-UME,DATS Y U ATTENDED A PRIVATE UNI-NONSENSE! SLOWPOKE.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Akby(m): 11:19am On Sep 22, 2012
My only question is why don't we have Summer class in public universities?
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by olivertwist: 11:34am On Sep 22, 2012
afam4eva: What's their business with what goes on inside a school. Shouldn't it be the duty of the universities to determine whether or not they want their students to resit? I think some people are taking lectures from Fashola of Lagos. This law is a draconian law that does not sit well with common sense me.

shocked shocked shocked My friend, all I can do is, grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by NwaAnambra(m): 11:48am On Sep 22, 2012
Osheshe:

You seem to have a lot of experience on the academic system of the two (2) private universities you mentioned. Are you an alumunus of either one of them? Or your views are based on interactions with friends within these institutions? You need to get your facts straight.

I'm an alumunus of Covenant University (check your spelling). I read architecture so I'm in a better position to shed more light on this issue.

Yes, resit examinations were conducted, for a stipulated fee. This did not enhance a students' CGPA in any way. The scores from failed courses were not 'erased' and 'replaced' as you stated. The resit scores were added and divided by the number of failed courses re-taken, then multiplied by a fixed percentage. At the end of the day, the overall aggregate added may be 0.01.

The concept of resit examinations (summer, as it is called) was introduced for certain reasons...

Ever heard of force majeure? These are unforeseen circumstances beyond one's control. Assuming one is too ill to write a paper, or suddenly falls ill in the middle of an exam, what happens? The individual has to spend an extra year in school for this?

In the department of architecture for instance, there are pre-requisite courses for which one needs a pass, before being eligible for the next level. There was a mix-up in the results in my third year, and I found myself in such a dilemma. I sat for the paper again during resit, and scored an A. At the end of the day, my original result was re-published...I scored a B, and this was retained, while the resit was discarded.

In the same vein, there are some courses which are not, and can never be written during resit. One of such is the Architectural Design Studio. Failure to pass this course automatically earns one an extra year, 2 extra years or even more.

I've seen people who spent 2, 3 sometimes 4 years before graduating despite this resit option. This just goes to show you that it is not applicable in every situation.

Those who eventually come out with a first class degree literally earn it. These are straight A's students who maintain their academic performance from first year, through to the final year.

Others attain this height due to a superb and brillant execution of their final year projects, which in turn boosts their CGPAs.

In my own department, first-class is not beans. At the very most, one out of about 50 architecture students per set makes a first class. And their records do not show any history of failed courses.

Pray, do tell...what do you stake your statements on? I'm curious.
u cudn't pass Jamb and post-utme,dats y u went to Covenant Uni-nonsense in d first place.....ubulu-e.(dullard).
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by philip0906(m): 12:01pm On Sep 22, 2012
Nwa Anambra: u cudn't pass Jamb and post-utme,dats y u went to Covenant Uni-nonsense in d first place.....ubulu-e.(dullard).
b'cos he had the money. . .u prolly did not have the money to go to a private uni(thats if u ever saw d 4 walls of a uni)
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by philip0906(m): 12:03pm On Sep 22, 2012
Nwa Anambra: I CAN C U RE A PRODUCT OF ONE OF THESE PRIVATE UNI-NONSENSE, PROBABLY U CUDN'T PASS UR POST-UME,DATS Y U ATTENDED A PRIVATE UNI-NONSENSE! SLOWPOKE.
whats ur beef with private unis?is it anyone's headache that ur parents could not afford 2 send u 2 a private uni?
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by NwaAnambra(m): 12:15pm On Sep 22, 2012
sheedy407: All of una wen don read a̶̲̥̅̊ñ̷̊D̶̲̥̅̊ comment nonsence abt private uni,una papa head.If u ® opportund to go to a private uni lik the 1st private uni in Nigeria(Madonna Uni)will u reject d offer?Abegi,no dey beef us if ur moni no reach.
ubulu-eke like u.......hw many profs teach in ur dept on permanent basis? Is it not only week-end lectures dat u guys get frm lecturers who teach on part-time basis?
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by NwaAnambra(m): 12:25pm On Sep 22, 2012
philip0906:
whats ur beef with private unis?is it anyone's headache that ur parents could not afford 2 send u 2 a private uni?
dude,by dis tym nxt year,i wil b a SUPER LION,dats if u knw wot it means.....i blame ur fada's xpird spe*m 4 bringin u into dis world.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by philip0906(m): 12:55pm On Sep 22, 2012
Nwa Anambra: dude,by dis tym nxt year,i wil b a SUPER LION,dats if u knw wot it means.....i blame ur fada's xpird spe*m 4 bringin u into dis world.
d*ck head. . .for all i care u could be a spambot or a robot claiming 2 be a potential super lion on a faceless forum,I never asked u. But ur obvious distaste 4 'private unis' shows ur parents(with all respect due 2 'em) never had d opportunity 2 send u 2 one despite ur wish 2 go there and u should not in turn vent ur anger on anyone in this forum. work hard, so dat u'll be able 2 send ur kids 2 an expensive school or outside d shores of the country kk? bloody sicko
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by makdastar(f): 1:05pm On Sep 22, 2012
Nwa Anambra: dude,by dis tym nxt year,i wil b a[b]SUPER LION[/b],dats if u knw wot it means.....i blame ur fada's xpird spe*m 4 bringin u into dis world.

Super-lion indeed, little wonder you reason like a super animal too. I don't understand why there is so much hatred for private universities on this thread. Do you know the number of people that seek admission every year, and that out of this large number, only few get admission on merit into these over crowded public universities.

Maybe you got admitted to your lions zoo, cuz your father happens to know a cleaner at the admissions office, who came early to work, cleaned a name off the real list and squeezed in yours for a couple of thousands.

Private universities are a blessing to Nigeria, stop the beef!
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by matrixme(m): 2:17pm On Sep 22, 2012
My intellectual reasoning wanted to castigate the idea of remedial examinations, being a university student myself, but I was flanked by my natural reasoning. If we could have two 11o'clock's in a 24 hour period, likewise two 'fruitening' seasons in a year, and a second chance to be born, why can't we allow ourselves a second period of grace?
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by kaboninc(m): 3:25pm On Sep 22, 2012
Bludeville: I'm a graduate of pharmacy from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka and in my department, re-sits are often written, this is because in pharmacy, most courses are 'prerequisites' , what this means is you cant proceed to the next level of a certain course (e.g Pharmacology 301) if you havent passed the previous level (Pharmacology 201) because it is a continous process and it's difficult/impossible to truly understand 301 if you havent proven that you have a firm grasp of 201.
I think that the NUC should poke their noses where they are truly needed and not disrupting and stupidly banning certain practices especially if they do not know/understand the reason behind it because it only makes them seem stupid.
Abeg, its a simple rule in a simple rule book. If you want the re-sit rule, simply amend the simple rule book. But as it stands now, its illegal. If you fail, you just repeat like your fellow lionesses!
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Ajillo: 3:35pm On Sep 22, 2012
What is the meaning of next available opportunity? I hear some guys take year one courses final year. NUC should be clear on this.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by kaboninc(m): 3:35pm On Sep 22, 2012
timmy7:
No preferential treatment here! Is it only the medical and pharmaceutical faculties that should need a re-sit simply because they help in saving lives? And is it only these faculties that 'help save lives'? Like I said before, if they want it, amend the rule book or else, desist from it.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by kaboninc(m): 3:35pm On Sep 22, 2012
timmy7:
No preferential treatment here! Is it only the medical and pharmaceutical faculties that should need a re-sit simply because they help in saving lives? And is it only these faculties that 'help save lives'? Like I said before, if they want it, amend the rule book or else, desist from it.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by kaboninc(m): 3:43pm On Sep 22, 2012
makdastar:

Super-lion indeed, little wonder you reason like a super animal too. I don't understand why there is so much hatred for private universities on this thread. Do you know the number of people that seek admission every year, and that out of this large number, only few get admission on merit into these over crowded public universities.

Maybe you got admitted to your lions zoo, cuz your father happens to know a cleaner at the admissions office, who came early to work, cleaned a name off the real list and squeezed in yours for a couple of thousands.

Private universities are a blessing to Nigeria, stop the beef!
Brother, indeed private universities are really a blessing (or a curse in disguise?)! I don't hate Nigerian private universities but at the same time, I'll never advise anyone to attend private universities, at least for now. If the government ones are not that good, then the private ones ought to be an alternative but in fact, they're (most if not all) even the worst. Take an example - Madonna.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Pakavy(m): 3:51pm On Sep 22, 2012
timmy7:
a billion lyks!especiialy when mbbs is a non classified degree

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

BREAKING: Fashola Orders Reversal Of LASU Fees To Old Charges / Western Delta University Lecturer Rocks Students Wig In Class / Sanwo-Olu Rewards Aminat Yusuf With ₦10M

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.