Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,025 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:22 PM

NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities (32125 Views)

How To Know If You Are Among Candidates Scheduled To Re-sit Jamb 2016 / NUC Bans Online Degrees, Abacha Varsity Certificates / Dead Students Write Exams in Oko Poly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Nobody: 5:55pm On Sep 21, 2012
ABAKA72: Ok, so what happens when the resitting student fails the resit exam.
you repeat
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Nobody: 5:55pm On Sep 21, 2012
foluberry: Wo'eva u guys! Abuse private unis as much as u want, dey v got d same opportunities wit fed or state unis anywhere. D practise of 'summer' as it is popularly called is just like an intensive coaching during the four months break while d students dat have failed d course re-write dia failed courses. Durin the four months break, while dia mates r playin @ home or engagin in other stuff, dey r in schl receiving lectures and tryin 2 pass dia failed courses and dia grades are slashed. For example, if u failed a course before and you take it durin summer and you have an A, ur A will be slashed to a C. So it iznt entirely easy or a marketin strategy as sum ppl have implied. D university authority just tries to help to reduce the number of spill over students as evn the authorities don't encourage summer. Summer takes place when they should be resting @ home and the schl will rather provide accommodation for freshers rather dan have spill and splash overs filling dia hostels just because one wizard lecturer has promised they won't graduate with their set. So its ur choice, u can choose a uni wit sensitive authorities or otherwise.
i fink one of the reason for banning such is because the private schools conduct such exam and still attached full credit to the course. So a student can still make first class even wen he or she wrote many resits.
One cant get distinction in a resit exam in medical school.

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Nobody: 6:00pm On Sep 21, 2012
Joey82: resit ke?
I neva heard that name through out my school days,
and the law isnt draconian, if u fail a course, u carry it over, reasob being that scripts are not immediately marked and compiled because of the bulk of work on lecturer's table.
so i'm wondering how the resit thing is executed, i think its fraudulent.
Private universities are the culprits.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by decrox199(m): 6:00pm On Sep 21, 2012
aryzgreat: NO MORE 180 FIRST CLASS STUDENTS FROM BABCOCK AND CONVENANT UNIVERSITIES WHERE STUDENST RE-SIT TO RECTIFY THEIR POOR RESULTS AND COUNT THEM AS FRESS COURSE(THE OLD SCORES ARE ERASED AND THE RE-SIT SCORE IS ACCEPTED). FIRST CLASS MY ANUS! IF U FAIL, U CARRY OVER AND GOD PUNISH U NA 4 OR 3 CREDIT UNIT, IT EATS UP UR G.P
wit dis development,i bet u,none of of dis private uni student will get an F even if dia performance is woeful...private uni My foot..smh!

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by olagamalin(m): 6:00pm On Sep 21, 2012
afam4eva: What's their business with what goes on inside a school. Shouldn't it be the duty of the universities to determine whether or not they want their students to resit? I think some people are taking lectures from Fashola of Lagos. This law is a draconian law that does not sit well with common sense me.
. Ha Ha, What is this dude saying now, as in...what can one possibly deduce from such baseless opinion...I can't believe this
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by tiwasiaife(m): 6:01pm On Sep 21, 2012
Bludeville: I'm a graduate of pharmacy from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka and in my department, re-sits are often written, this is because in pharmacy, most courses are 'prerequisites' , what this means is you cant proceed to the next level of a certain course (e.g Pharmacology 301) if you havent passed the previous level (Pharmacology 201) because it is a continous process and it's difficult/impossible to truly understand 301 if you havent proven that you have a firm grasp of 201.
I think that the NUC should poke their noses where they are truly needed and not disrupting and stupidly banning certain practices especially if they do not know/understand the reason behind it because it only makes them seem stupid.
my sister let me tell u. Am a graduate of University of Nigeria too Geology Dept. There is nothing like re-sit exam we also do prerequisite courses if u fail geol 111 u wount do geol 211 n 213, if u fail 211 u wount try nearing geol 311 lecture hall until u pass the course u ve failed which means an extra 1yr 4u authomatically.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by tiwasiaife(m): 6:03pm On Sep 21, 2012
Bludeville: I'm a graduate of pharmacy from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka and in my department, re-sits are often written, this is because in pharmacy, most courses are 'prerequisites' , what this means is you cant proceed to the next level of a certain course (e.g Pharmacology 301) if you havent passed the previous level (Pharmacology 201) because it is a continous process and it's difficult/impossible to truly understand 301 if you havent proven that you have a firm grasp of 201.
I think that the NUC should poke their noses where they are truly needed and not disrupting and stupidly banning certain practices especially if they do not know/understand the reason behind it because it only makes them seem stupid.
my sister let me tell u. Am a graduate of University of Nigeria too Geology Dept. There is nothing like re-sit exam we also do prerequisite courses if u fail geol 111 u wount do geol 211 n 213, if u fail 211 u wount try nearing geol 311 lecture hall until u pass the course u ve failed which means an extra 1yr 4u authomatically.

2 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by hardbody: 6:03pm On Sep 21, 2012
siddiq202:
you are very correct. no any government university do re-sit exams for student except private universities

'No any' is not english. you could simply say, "No government'.

It is a learning curve ooo, no turn am to fight.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by siddiq202(m): 6:05pm On Sep 21, 2012
foluberry: Wo'eva u guys! Abuse private unis as much as u want, dey v got d same opportunities wit fed or state unis anywhere. D practise of 'summer' as it is popularly called is just like an intensive coaching during the four months break while d students dat have failed d course re-write dia failed courses. Durin the four months break, while dia mates r playin @ home or engagin in other stuff, dey r in schl receiving lectures and tryin 2 pass dia failed courses and dia grades are slashed. For example, if u failed a course before and you take it durin summer and you have an A, ur A will be slashed to a C. So it iznt entirely easy or a marketin strategy as sum ppl have implied. D university authority just tries to help to reduce the number of spill over students as evn the authorities don't encourage summer. Summer takes place when they should be resting @ home and the schl will rather provide accommodation for freshers rather dan have spill and splash overs filling dia hostels just because one wizard lecturer has promised they won't graduate with their set. So its ur choice, u can choose a uni wit sensitive authorities or otherwise.
Do private univeristy students have two heads? why can't they carry the course over and see how easy it is to combine a carry-over course with the ones at hand instead of using their break to "make-up" for it.
Anyways NUC says it is not allowed....lo ba pa ri

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by lumideezle(m): 6:07pm On Sep 21, 2012
Tony Spike: This latest rule by NUC may be mainly directed towards the private universities. As we all know, these universities don't believe students can fail after paying so much money, so they organise re-sits during holidays at a "marketable" fee. grin

STFU and get your facts right before coming 2 publicly display your ignorance on a forum. Don't even know where to start proving u wrong from. All I can say is that all u wrote up there is not true and bS

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by siddiq202(m): 6:08pm On Sep 21, 2012
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Osheshe(f): 6:13pm On Sep 21, 2012
aryzgreat: NO MORE 180 FIRST CLASS STUDENTS FROM BABCOCK AND CONVENANT UNIVERSITIES WHERE STUDENST RE-SIT TO RECTIFY THEIR POOR RESULTS AND COUNT THEM AS FRESS COURSE(THE OLD SCORES ARE ERASED AND THE RE-SIT SCORE IS ACCEPTED). FIRST CLASS MY ANUS! IF U FAIL, U CARRY OVER AND GOD PUNISH U NA 4 OR 3 CREDIT UNIT, IT EATS UP UR G.P

You seem to have a lot of experience on the academic system of the two (2) private universities you mentioned. Are you an alumunus of either one of them? Or your views are based on interactions with friends within these institutions? You need to get your facts straight.

I'm an alumunus of Covenant University (check your spelling). I read architecture so I'm in a better position to shed more light on this issue.

Yes, resit examinations were conducted, for a stipulated fee. This did not enhance a students' CGPA in any way. The scores from failed courses were not 'erased' and 'replaced' as you stated. The resit scores were added and divided by the number of failed courses re-taken, then multiplied by a fixed percentage. At the end of the day, the overall aggregate added may be 0.01.

The concept of resit examinations (summer, as it is called) was introduced for certain reasons...

Ever heard of force majeure? These are unforeseen circumstances beyond one's control. Assuming one is too ill to write a paper, or suddenly falls ill in the middle of an exam, what happens? The individual has to spend an extra year in school for this?

In the department of architecture for instance, there are pre-requisite courses for which one needs a pass, before being eligible for the next level. There was a mix-up in the results in my third year, and I found myself in such a dilemma. I sat for the paper again during resit, and scored an A. At the end of the day, my original result was re-published...I scored a B, and this was retained, while the resit was discarded.

In the same vein, there are some courses which are not, and can never be written during resit. One of such is the Architectural Design Studio. Failure to pass this course automatically earns one an extra year, 2 extra years or even more.

I've seen people who spent 2, 3 sometimes 4 years before graduating despite this resit option. This just goes to show you that it is not applicable in every situation.

Those who eventually come out with a first class degree literally earn it. These are straight A's students who maintain their academic performance from first year, through to the final year.

Others attain this height due to a superb and brillant execution of their final year projects, which in turn boosts their CGPAs.

In my own department, first-class is not beans. At the very most, one out of about 50 architecture students per set makes a first class. And their records do not show any history of failed courses.

Pray, do tell...what do you stake your statements on? I'm curious.

2 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by siddiq202(m): 6:14pm On Sep 21, 2012
lumideezle:
STFU and get your facts right before coming 2 publicly display your ignorance on a forum. Don't even know where to start proving u wrong from. All I can say is that all u wrote up there is not true and bS
Just start from somewhere because I agree with him
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by kumbalo(m): 6:16pm On Sep 21, 2012
lakesider: Notin is wrong with resit exam as long as i m writing it from my brain.in advanced country U can walk out of exam hall Nd. Av your paper resheduled if U feel U ll fail d paper.outdated pple @ work
instead of them to regulate and introduce that to other govt-owned institution, they want to cancel it. FCOL, this is what is practised in UK. Borrow some leaves NUC
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by DrWhizy(m): 6:17pm On Sep 21, 2012
akereconfi: I fink...this decision is directed towards MEDICAL students....
MBBS professional exam RESIT
mbbs exams are not written per semester and have no course credit load hence I don't fink d NUC meant 2 refer 2 dem. Ts a normal practice in medical schools even d UCL writes professional resit exams.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by misreal(m): 6:19pm On Sep 21, 2012
SlyIg: I even thought its carry over courses they were talking abt. But wait a minute,if they should say 'no more carry over courses in d uni ...' wow!
wat r u even saying sef undecided
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by LondyC(f): 6:20pm On Sep 21, 2012
I hope it's not directed 2 colleges of medicine across Nigeria cos it wil b really bad. So many medical dropouts and increase in suicide rate o!
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by misreal(m): 6:20pm On Sep 21, 2012
SlyIg: I even thought its carry over courses they were talking abt. But wait a minute,if they should say 'no more carry over courses in d uni ...' wow!
wat r u even saying sef angry
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by dewize01(m): 6:27pm On Sep 21, 2012
Good step,NUC!
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by NosaHenry(m): 6:27pm On Sep 21, 2012
afam4eva: What's their business with what goes on inside a school. Shouldn't it be the duty of the universities to determine whether or not they want their students to resit? I think some people are taking lectures from Fashola of Lagos. This law is a draconian law that does not sit well with common sense me.
You brought yourself out as a brainless maggot with zero IQ. My guess is that you are a product of one of these private universities where anything goes.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Dreystar(f): 6:28pm On Sep 21, 2012
NUC must be sleeping long before now! Are they just knowing about the re-sit?

I guess that woman's children don graduate with 1st class in private schools, na now their eyes come open.
undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Jaideyone(m): 6:28pm On Sep 21, 2012
as usual a lot of people here are exhibiting their ignorance. This is definitely not a welcome development. I'm a finalist in luth and i know what i'm saying. Failing resit in MBBS means you have to repeat the whole session including the courses you passed. Without resits out of the equation i can boldly tell you that many 50% of medical students will spend at least two extra years in school. The volume of work is so much that some exams require you to read a whole text book. This is not a welcome development. It's bullshi*t
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Nobody: 6:29pm On Sep 21, 2012
LondyC: I hope it's not directed 2 colleges of medicine across Nigeria cos it wil b really bad. So many medical dropouts and increase in suicide rate o!
lol. *Suicide* grin
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by daveemuobo(m): 6:30pm On Sep 21, 2012
This is not applicable to medical schools,which run pass/fail system.I believe what nuc is referring to are those summer classes exam.some schools call them remedials.

My lecturer no wan let me hear word today because of resit abolishing.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Standing5(m): 6:32pm On Sep 21, 2012
alaoeri: This 'll surely reduce the number of first class & 2.1 in babcock, covenant etc.
please read up Osheshe's post for better undestanding of the situation. I passed thru the same agony in the same school as her and everything she has said is 100% true.
In addition to her post i also want to stress that, it is more of financial rip off to the students as some departments are overloaded with workload. Some department take as much as 32 units standard (NUC standard) equivalent a semester. I remember vividly during my final year, i took average of 25 unit course work per semester (24 for first semester and 26 for second semester). This alone made tons of student from my department candidate of Re-sit and summer school. Now i know the way most public sch are they take approx. 17 unit in their final year(FYP inclusive).
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by sallybonne(f): 6:33pm On Sep 21, 2012
sometimes I wonder when people comment is it that its difficult to understand the post or is it that some people just like being silly. First of all, the news, post, or topic is incomplete NUC would have elaborated more on what they were refering to cos resit is just bogus when it happens in courses like med, pharmacy e.t.c. How does this have anything to do with private uni, is it complex now or wat that make people to start bring private uni into d post 4 petes sake d post is nt abt private uni, if u have a problem about private uni create a thread abt it which I think is unnecessary tho! This resit thingy is even done abroad but in naija it becomes a problem untill we begin to accept ourselves only then can we move 4ward note to NUC and nigerian uni How can we want to do more than those that brought education to us, no wonder in the top 1000 uni we no follow cos we don't know what we are doing pls let's comment on d half baked incomplete post instead of bringing issues about wats going on in private uni dts nt wat d post is about, that being said NUC should clarify well so we know b4 people go begin they spend 30yrs in uni

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by hoodboy(m): 6:34pm On Sep 21, 2012
NUC is getting it wrong on this one. Giving students the option of summer school to resit their failed courses is the best thing that could happen to Nigerian students. Imagine a not so bright student that has a couple of F's and ”you expect him to carry them over to a new semester, is it the same head that couldn't pass the courses when his course load was standard, that you expect to pass them when they are added to fresh courses. At least if there is summer, the student can fully concentrate and learn properly rather than resorting to any means available (sorting etal) just to be able to scale through

2 Likes

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Smooth278(m): 6:39pm On Sep 21, 2012
It's common in d medical schools world wide, jst anoda spike in d ongoing war btw d medical profession and d NUC face-off; so sad dt innocent students have to suffer.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by omicron(m): 6:40pm On Sep 21, 2012
Jaidey-one:
as usual a lot of people here are exhibiting their ignorance. This is definitely not a welcome development. I'm a finalist in luth and i know what i'm saying. Failing resit in MBBS means you have to repeat the whole session including the courses you passed. Without resits out of the equation i can boldly tell you that many 50% of medical students will spend at least two extra years in school. The volume of work is so much that some exams require you to read a whole text book. This is not a welcome development. It's bullshi*t
guy relax...NUC is not referring to MBBS exams
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Nobody: 6:41pm On Sep 21, 2012
What NUC shuld do is to modify how the resit is conducted nt banning it. Coz theres notin bad with the system. Its jst like extension one gets in secondary school.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Nobody: 6:42pm On Sep 21, 2012
omicron: guy relax...NUC is not referring to MBBS exams
lol. Seems palpitation don hold the dude

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

JAMB Explains Admission Procedure To Protesting Candidates, Parents / Funaab,erects A Billboard To Announce The Banning Of Niqab (face Veil) / Egypt Air Wrongly Routed A Nigerian Student To Moldova

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.