Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,319 members, 7,957,837 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 09:34 PM

NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities (32463 Views)

How To Know If You Are Among Candidates Scheduled To Re-sit Jamb 2016 / NUC Bans Online Degrees, Abacha Varsity Certificates / Dead Students Write Exams in Oko Poly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by paxnka: 9:02pm On Sep 21, 2012
A very good one from NUC. They should start thinking of how to expose students to different industries and business strategies and also, politics involved in the business world.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Osheshe(f): 9:07pm On Sep 21, 2012
solidbroda: That's why we have so many First class from covenant University. Walai, if I attended CU, I go have over 1st class. grin

Do you have a personal beef with the institution? If yes, you should take it up with the NUC.

Better still, I think you should re-enroll for a second degree there...I'm sure you'll get to experience first-hand what happens in there, and why the system works.

If the NUC had issues with Covenant University, they would have included it on their list of suspended universities. Since the name isn't there, its safe to assume they are in the clear.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by ifeegee(f): 9:07pm On Sep 21, 2012
Gamuguma: nothing is wrong with re-sit exams. NUC should make sure universities have proper equipments so as to make our graduate has proper practical knowledge. That is their main tax. Gbam
so a proper equipment,will be fraudlent resits that are not stipulated.Well,I'm sure u are a product of that equipment,judging from what u typed above.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by sheedy407(m): 9:11pm On Sep 21, 2012
All of una wen don read a̶̲̥̅̊ñ̷̊D̶̲̥̅̊ comment nonsence abt private uni,una papa head.If u ® opportund to go to a private uni lik the 1st private uni in Nigeria(Madonna Uni)will u reject d offer?Abegi,no dey beef us if ur moni no reach.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by MostIncredibleDFirst: 9:15pm On Sep 21, 2012
Bludeville: I'm a graduate of pharmacy from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka and in my department, re-sits are often written, this is because in pharmacy, most courses are 'prerequisites' , what this means is you cant proceed to the next level of a certain course (e.g Pharmacology 301) if you havent passed the previous level (Pharmacology 201) because it is a continous process and it's difficult/impossible to truly understand 301 if you havent proven that you have a firm grasp of 201.
I think that the NUC should poke their noses where they are truly needed and not disrupting and stupidly banning certain practices especially if they do not know/understand the reason behind it because it only makes them seem stupid.
This NUC policy is not meant to affect d clinical and pharmacuetical programs. To my understanding dis policy is meant to stop d sharp exam practices prevalent in private universities.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Osheshe(f): 9:16pm On Sep 21, 2012
lekside44: please tell the private universities

Ok...noted! Can someone please also tell the federal and state-owned universities to checkmate corrupt practices such as fraudulent admissions, sex.ual harrassment of female students by male lecturers, sorting, buying and leaking of examination scripts, but to mention a few?

Please? Anybody? Thank you!

Just as y'all are concerned about the 'operations' of 'private' universities...I'm twice as concerned about the 'happenings' at 'other' universities...

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by mbhs139(m): 9:22pm On Sep 21, 2012
afam4eva:
Are you for fake? It's not every statement that you interpret with a kindergarten eye. Of course we all know NUC is the body that regulates universities in Nigeria but that doesn't mean the universities should not have some kinda relative independence. Very soon NUC will tell them the kind of flower to plant in all the schools.

Another product of the bad system
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by mbhs139(m): 9:26pm On Sep 21, 2012
Bludeville:

I'm a graduate of pharmacy from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka and in my department, re-sits are often written, this is because in pharmacy, most courses are 'prerequisites' , what this means is you cant proceed to the next level of a certain course (e.g Pharmacology 301) if you havent passed the previous level (Pharmacology 201) because it is a continous process and it's difficult/impossible to truly understand 301 if you havent proven that you have a firm grasp of 201.

I think that the NUC should poke their noses where they are truly needed and not disrupting and stupidly banning certain practices especially if they do not know/understand the reason behind it because it only makes them seem silly

From all indication, it seems you didn't read the original story. Your response is based on the post you have read.

From the original story, I don't think the NUC is not talking about medical schools but other departments
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Osheshe(f): 9:29pm On Sep 21, 2012
Tmany: In the first place it rubbish for such a policy to be allowed.
At least it the same degree they are awarded as that of federal and states universities who don't allow resit.
very stupid double standard.

Did you see any referral to private universities in the original post or link?

You really ought to start reading in-between the lines some more.

If the NUC had found only private universities culpable, I'm sure they would have clearly stated so in their press statement.

The mere fact that they used 'universities' means simply that they were referring to both state, federal and privately owned universities. That it doesn't happen in your alma mater, does not mean same goes for others.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by mbhs139(m): 9:34pm On Sep 21, 2012
Osheshe:

I'm an alumunus of Covenant University...(check your spelling). I read architecture so I'm in a better position to shed more light on this issue

Yes, resit examinations were conducted, for a stipulated fee. This did not enhance a students' CGPA in any way. The scores from failed courses were not 'erased' and 'replaced' as you stated. The resit scores were added and divided by the number of failed courses re-taken, then multiplied by a fixed percentage. At the end of the day, the overall aggregate added may be 0.01.
for stipulated fee? So, I can afford to play away my time and retake my failed course in the same year. Guy, all is in a bid to stop your parents from paying for your exorbitant extra year fee.

The concept of resit examinations (summer, as it is called) was introduced for certain reasons...

Ever heard of force majeure? These are unforeseen circumstances beyond one's control. Assuming one is too ill to write a paper, or suddenly falls ill in the middle of an exam, what happens? The individual has to spend an extra year in school for this?
So, those of us for other schools no dey fall sick? If you are sick, go to the medical center and get a report, the course will not be counted as a carry over. it's simple as that.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Osheshe(f): 9:39pm On Sep 21, 2012
Femsyn: Now the bone of contention here is simple. why would a group of universities allow resit, when others don't? Especially when the graduates of these schools go on to compete in the same labour market - where grades are held in high esteem; I dont think this is fair enough. When i fail a course in a public university, i am expected to undergo additional stress/load in the next session, while another group of schools allow u to pay a token (which they shld be able to conveniently pay, since they can afford the school fees) for a resit absent of pressure or any additional load; just holidays "deprivation". There's imbalance in the educational system!!!
It's either all schools encourage resits or it's completely scrapped!!
NUC, way to go.

Very well said...maybe this will correct the 'imbalance' in the educational system.

I've got one question tho...whatever happens to those who pay for results in 'other' universities? Those runz gehs that spread their legs for diseased old men, just for improved grades? Or those who leak exam questions?

Aren't they in the same job market ring, with the rest of us? Whoever said life was fair? Its not.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by eyzeberg: 9:43pm On Sep 21, 2012
gidiMonsta:

I'm so glad u crossed common sense cos it seems to be far from you at this moment.

What concerns NUC with what goes on in a university? Are you for real? shocked shocked shocked

Don't mind him/her. Its like saying what concern cbn with what happens in commercial banks.

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Osheshe(f): 9:53pm On Sep 21, 2012
mbhs139:

for stipulated fee? So, I can afford to play away my time and retake my failed course in the same year. Guy, all is in a bid to stop your parents from paying for your exorbitant extra year fee.

So, those of us for other schools no dey fall sick? If you are sick, go to the medical center and get a report, the course will not be counted as a carry over. it's simple as that.

Like I said...I'm an alumunus. So don't think the ban affects me directly, or indirectly.

Please quote me carefully...did you read anywhere in my posts where I cussed out the NUC for their decision? Or any part that has me campaigning for the ban to be lifted? They are the regulating body for Nigerian universities. If they say no more resit, and they have said so...no wahala.

I'm only trying to shed more light on 'why' a private university decided to embark on resit examinations.

Whether or not you agree with me, it doesn't change the fact that this is my opinion and I'm entitled to it.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by tissot84: 9:56pm On Sep 21, 2012
Hmmmm.
Hmmmmm

NUC
for real, i think u all need to know where the children of the so called NUC LEADERS schooled.
i am not sure they are schooling in Nigeria But OVERSEAS that y u see everyone traveling(running)out to obtain their Masters degree IN UK, US AND EVEN IRAQ grin
I am in full support of the so called re-sit program.

1) WHEN YOU DO LIKE TWELVE (12) TO FIFTEEN(15) COURSES AS TO THE MAXIMUM OF FOUR(4) THEY DO IN ABROAD
2) THEN THE PROBABILITY OF YOU FAILING ONE OR MORE COURSES SET IN
2) BECOS U FAILED SOME COURSES U NEED TO STAY EXTRA YEAR(S)
3) IF U FAILED AND U NEED TO STAY A YEAR THEN WHAT IS THE POSSIBILITY THAT THE ONE YEAR WONT TURN TO THREE BECOS OF THEIR STUPID STRIKE
4) THEN YOU END UP GRADUATING AT THE AGE OF 24 (IF YOU ARE LUCKY) OR ABOVE, SERVE THE NATION FOR A YEAR WHICH MAKES YOU 25 THEN YOU HAVE ONLY ONE YEAR TO COMPETE IN THE LABOR MARKET (MIN OF 26 YEARS OF AGE FOR MANAGEMENT TRAINEE PROGRAMS).

IMAGE LIFE IN PUBLIC UNIVERSITIES
ENTERED AT THE AGE OF 18YEARS
AND UR PROGRAM IS FOR 4YEARS
AND UR SCHOOL IS ON STRIKE FOR LIKE 2YEARS WITHIN THE 4YEARS
AND YOU HAVE A CARRY OVER FOR A YEAR BUT ANOTHER ONE YEAR STRIKE TO MAKE IT TWO YEARS
THEN YOU MIGHT END UP GRADUATING AT THE AGE OF 26
+ NYSC grin

AT THE END OF THE DAY, THEIR CHILDREN WILL COME BACK FROM LONDON MET AND STILL SECURE A JOB B4 YOU BECOS THEY DID NOT SCHOOL IN NIGERIA AND THEY ARE STILL YOUNG.

SEE NUC NEED TO GET THINGS RIGHT AND THEY SHOULD STOP MORTGAGING PEEPS FUTURE.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by clemmonce(m): 9:58pm On Sep 21, 2012
gidiMonsta:

I'm so glad u crossed common sense cos it seems to be far from you at this moment.

What concerns NUC with what goes on in a university? Are you for real? shocked shocked shocked

thank u bros 4 the comment. i thought @afam4eva was smart but for him to say such a word now i knw he is dull u fall my hand
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by KINGwax(m): 10:12pm On Sep 21, 2012
afam4eva:
Are you for fake? It's not every statement that you interpret with a kindergarten eye. Of course we all know NUC is the body that regulates universities in Nigeria but that doesn't mean the universities should not have some kinda relative independence. Very soon NUC will tell them the kind of flower to plant in all the schools.
off point dude. You're still scrambling for cover. No re-sits. Get your head straight or fail.

1 Like

Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Sike(m): 10:13pm On Sep 21, 2012
Na them sabi!
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by KINGwax(m): 10:14pm On Sep 21, 2012
clemmonce: thank u bros 4 the comment. i thought @afam4eva was smart but for him to say such a word now i knw he is dull u fall my hand
he's a product of re-sits!
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Tmany(m): 10:15pm On Sep 21, 2012
Osheshe:

If the NUC had found only private universities culpable, I'm sure they would have clearly stated so in their press statement.

The mere fact that they used 'universities' means simply that they were referring to both state, federal and privately owned universities. That it doesn't happen in your alma mater, does not mean same goes for others.

madam if u had check my response well u would have seen that i didn't mention private universities but since you went there i don't know of any federal or state university that all resit cool
Osheshe:

madam if u had check my response well u would have seen that i didn't mention private universities but since you went there i don't know of any federal or state university that all resit cool
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Osheshe(f): 10:21pm On Sep 21, 2012
aryzgreat: NO MORE 180 FIRST CLASS STUDENTS FROM BABCOCK AND CONVENANT UNIVERSITIES WHERE STUDENST RE-SIT TO RECTIFY THEIR POOR RESULTS AND COUNT THEM AS FRESS COURSE(THE OLD SCORES ARE ERASED AND THE RE-SIT SCORE IS ACCEPTED). FIRST CLASS MY ANUS! IF U FAIL, U CARRY OVER AND GOD PUNISH U NA 4 OR 3 CREDIT UNIT, IT EATS UP UR G.P

So the ban has been effected...I would have told you to keep your eyes and ears peeled for Covenant University gist, but its obvious you already got that covered.

Next year, they will be releasing the 8th batch of eagles. If the number of first class graduands dips below this acclaimed figure...then you have the last say. If it doesn't, then that will prove resit, remedial or summer examinations have got nothing to do with first class ish.

Until then, kindly put a sock in it.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by zeklng(m): 10:30pm On Sep 21, 2012
see, students in nnamdi azikiwe university nnewi camp, (college of medicine) dont even know anythiny yet they do swearing in 3times a year due to this there ''re-sit''' even the most dullard among them graduates and boast because after few months the most brillant ones graduate, they resit one or two tyms to follow them. Evencommon school of nursing don dey follow them. What kind of nonsense prefrencial treat is that..
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Osheshe(f): 10:33pm On Sep 21, 2012
Tmany:

Bros its too early to be speaking from both sides of your mouth...I simply read in-between the lines from your second sentence. Who's the 'they' you implied in that sentence...?

You dunno of any state or federal university that *allows resit? So students of medicine/pharmacy and co...are what? Resit is resit abegi.

I'll assume that was a typo error...*checked*
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Osheshe(f): 10:55pm On Sep 21, 2012
MostIncredible.DFirst:
This NUC policy is not meant to affect d clinical and pharmacuetical programs. To my understanding dis policy is meant to stop d sharp exam practices prevalent in private universities.

And why not? Why shouldn't the ban affect colleges/faculties of medicine/pharmacy?

Its ok to ban resits in 'all' universities...but medical schools should be exempted? Do they have another body that governs their activities?

Please, a resit is a resit! For the ban to be effective, it has to be total! No preferential treatment for anyone!
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Holyrule(m): 10:58pm On Sep 21, 2012
Its only private universities that conduct such exams and its called summer exams. Igbinedion University Okada does that for sure.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by tissot84: 11:16pm On Sep 21, 2012
GOOD NITE cool AND SLEEP TIGHT
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Pakavy(m): 12:08am On Sep 22, 2012
Joey82: resit ke?
I neva heard that name through out my school days,
and the law isnt draconian, if u fail a course, u carry it over, reasob being that scripts are not immediately marked and compiled because of the bulk of work on lecturer's table.
so i'm wondering how the resit thing is executed, i think its fraudulent.
mayb u neva visited any medical faculty offering mbbs
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Ezira: 12:24am On Sep 22, 2012
lakesider: Notin is wrong with resit exam as long as i m writing it from my brain.in advanced country U can walk out of exam hall Nd. Av your paper resheduled if U feel U ll fail d paper.outdated pple @ work
Are u referring to ODL or convention mode versities. Pls stop deceiving people my dear.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by drblake: 12:26am On Sep 22, 2012
I hope this doesn't apply 2 d medical students though cos e no make sense at all
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Azumy(f): 1:42am On Sep 22, 2012
saxywale:
Resit is common in private universities.

It is also applicable in the school of medical/health/pharmacy of some or most government universities where students usually graduate with a pass or distinction. If a student fails the Resit, then he/she repeats the year.
exactly u r so on point! Infact it was frm d sch of medical sciences dat i got 2 noe dre is sumtin lyk re-sit exam @ d uni aside d normal JSSCE re-sit exam dat i used to noe. Although am avin a mixed feelings for dis developmnt cos it not in al cases dat student who re-sit r dull ones sum might find demselves re-sitin due 2 lecturer's carelessness or sumtin else, but wit dis re-sit both parties can wakeup frm dre slumber. Infact it hlps dem graduate wit dre collegeaz.as for m i tink d medical sciences shld b exempted.
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by Azumy(f): 1:58am On Sep 22, 2012
sheedy407: All of una wen don read a̶̲̥̅̊ñ̷̊D̶̲̥̅̊ comment nonsence abt private uni,una papa head.If u ® opportund to go to a private uni lik the 1st private uni in Nigeria(Madonna Uni)will u reject d offer?Abegi,no dey beef us if ur moni no reach.
lolzz wetin dem go beef frm adult wey dem stil dey spoon feed ! Priva8 universities in naija NA WASHHHH! Nxt level abeg!
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by OYINBOGOJU(m): 2:36am On Sep 22, 2012
afam4eva: What's their business with what goes on inside a school. Shouldn't it be the duty of the universities to determine whether or not they want their students to resit? I think some people are taking lectures from Fashola of Lagos. This law is a draconian law that does not sit well with common sense me.

You must have got common sense being Igbo.

whats wrong with strategizing with the level of failure we have in our Universities?

Bro go learn about how to discipline people,then you will realize you don't discipline failure by rubbing their head.

Hey boy do you get drunk before you get on nairaland?
Re: NUC Bans Re-sit Exams In Universities by oluemmakay(m): 5:15am On Sep 22, 2012
solidbroda: That's why we have so many First class from covenant University. Walai, if I attended CU, I go have over 1st class. grin
I guess u graduated wit 3rd class.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Female University Of Uyo Student Dies 2 Weeks After Writing Her Last Exams(pics) / OAU Will Exit National Grid By December 31 — VC / Adio Igboro: 80-Year-Old Graduates From LASU MSc Degree, International Relations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.