Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,616 members, 7,823,688 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion (5981 Views)

I Saw Indecency In My Sister's Phone. What Should I Do To Her? / Living In The City Without A Job, How Ladies Cope. / Indecency Among Today's Youth : Who Is To Be Blamed ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by SalemLord(m): 8:04pm On Sep 21, 2012
It pains me to know that a lot of parents have abandoned their core responsibility of watching what their children wear, and now most of them now join their children in dressing indecently. Today we have a large number of prostitutes and prisoners all roaming the streets and our higher institutions and you begin to wonder if this category of people came out from their parents homes. The boys i call prisoners because they taken to sagging as a way of life and the girls dress worst than road side harlots. So my question is: "Is this indecency or fashion?".
Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by zayhal(f): 10:22pm On Sep 21, 2012
One of the signs of end time.
Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by SalemLord(m): 10:25pm On Sep 21, 2012
zayhal: One of the signs of end time.
u're very right because it really baffles me the way things are fast changing
Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by victorian(f): 11:23pm On Sep 21, 2012
Mum and Dad are too busy, trying to make a living.. thats the price, society pays when both parents are so engrossed with work.

1 Like

Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by tpia5: 11:46pm On Sep 21, 2012
if most people dress like hookers these days, then what are the actual hookers wearing, or how are people supposed to know the difference, and isnt the hooker market being spoiled since a lot of men wont be able to differentiate an average pedestrian from a streetwalker.
Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by greatgod2012(f): 6:15am On Sep 22, 2012
sometimes, i also feel like this but i hv come to realise dt its not actually d complete fault of d children, parents also share from this fault. Our children are very wise, they always test us when they know they are about to do smthing controvercial, they will do it and watch if we parents will caution them,once we fail to, tomorow, they wud do worse thing, we still dont talk, they do d worst, so as a parent, we have a lot in our hands to do,
1. We shd live as example to dm, i have observed, dt d home of a particular person tell alot abt him/her, how dy see dir parents dressing will tell alot how d children will be dressing.
2. While dy are growing up, lets impart moral in dm, lets make our children our friends and always sit dm down to talk senses into them, like good dressing, relatnship with others/God, living right, d type of friends to keep/have,etc,so by d time dy are no longer with us dy will always remember our teachings.
3. Lets always pray 4 dm and with dm and in d prayer,always mentioning what we dont want them to do and they wil say amen to it, its a very good way to tell dm u dont want such, for example, when we were growing,we normally pray together with ur mum, so once she says "Oh God, do not let .....(mention name)move with smbody dt will teach him how to steal" we all say Amen but we already know we are told not to steal.
My opinion anyway.
May God help us all.

2 Likes

Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by Nobody: 7:02am On Sep 22, 2012
Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by 1ndidi2(f): 7:02am On Sep 22, 2012
Hmmm! Its d 'YODO' life (u only dress once)! its more like indecency than fashion. Indecent in the sense that it íڪ not pleasant 2look at-more like gross and in bad taste. But we say fashion is about good taste and creativity,where does one begin and where does d other end?

One mans meat is another's poison. I believe in "moderate" things in all aspects of life! People are going way overboard with fashion today and both d person,parents,peers,media and d society are to blame.

This thing today of people having freedom to do whatever they like is affecting dressing(people tell u that u only live once so dress your life. anyhow.).

is it our parents that want to feel 'modern' who start dressing their children indecently from d cradle(of course they see nothing wrong with it).

or your friends who come from eccentric homes influencing your choice of clothes( babe this na d reigning cloth!u no wan follow,abeg no fall my hand if u know say u wann waka with me!)And since d individual has no will power she succumbs to her friends.

or is it d almighty MEDIA- globalization issue(when u see your favourite artist dressing indecently hiding under d umbrella of 'fashion') society accepts it because for them to be on air means its acceptable,who is d individual to see her dressing as indecent! D matter no be today o jare!!

I can only contribute my quota by promising to bring up my kids with a mixture of d old/new fashion code(walahi my children go hear am from me o! Not only dressing nd other indecent issues 2day)

D damage has already being done but we can try to save our future generation in d way we nurture them.
Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by Nobody: 12:28pm On Sep 22, 2012
@OP
can you tell us what age are those "kids" you are referring to? are you talking about teenagers or young adult?
and what would YOU do to stop your child from wearing what most teenagers their age wear? would you rather that they go to school looking like someone out of the 70s? should they wear whatever YOU believe is right to wear? what is your definition of decent?

if parents dont see anything wrong with what they children are wearing then thats ALL THAT MATTERS, and you should focus on your own children instead.
just because YOU dont like what they wear, doesnt automatically mean their parents have failed in their duty!

2 Likes

Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by Nobody: 1:24pm On Sep 22, 2012
SalemLord: It pains me to know that a lot of parents have abandoned their core responsibility of watching what their children wear, and now most of them now join their children in dressing indecently. Today we have a large number of prostitutes and prisoners all roaming the streets and our higher institutions and you begin to wonder if this category of people came out from their parents homes. The boys i call prisoners because they taken to sagging as a way of life and the girls dress worst than road side harlots. So my question is: "Is this indecency or fashion?".

Have you got kids of your own? If yes, then my advice would be this:

Concentrate on your own children, and bring them up / dress them the way yourself and your spouse deem fit. Children are a full-time responsibility from birth till they're 18-years-old. If you poke your snout into the business of others, you'll have less time to bring up your own kids.

In other words, mind your own business!

5 Likes

Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by prixxy(f): 3:51pm On Sep 22, 2012
Siena:

Have you got kids of your own? If yes, then my advice would be this:

Concentrate on your own children, and bring them up / dress them the way yourself and your spouse deem fit. Children are a full-time responsibility from birth till they're 18-years-old. If you poke your snout into the business of others, you'll have less time to bring up your own kids.

In other words, mind your own business!

Yup i agree with you, the OP should mind his business and focus on his family if he has any, because what you may class as indecent may be completely decent to someone else
Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by ITbomb(m): 4:40pm On Sep 22, 2012
I don't believe you , show me proof , some pics
Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by tpia5: 4:54pm On Sep 22, 2012
no need for pix, unless you're trying to get the thread moved to sexuality section.
Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by plaetton: 3:01am On Sep 23, 2012
prixxy:

Yup i agree with you, the OP should mind his business and focus on his family if he has any, because what you may class as indecent may be completely decent to someone else

I am quite suprised when I see such a reaction to what is supposed to be an interesting topic.
Do not forget that this is a forum where anyone is free to bring up any topic for discussion.

If you have not taken notice of what the op is writing about, then you must live in another country or an alternate reality.

i surmise that we Nigerians are still at the primitive levels of mental development, therefore our reactions to global trends, especially with pop culture and fashion, tend to be extreme and herd-like.
For example, whereas saging pants, tatoos and extreme cleavage exposure tend to be more common amonst uneducated, inner city gheto dwellers in the westtern countries, here in Nigeria, University students, seem to take the lead in copying these trends.

Just take a walk or drive into any one of our iniversity campuses in any evening, and you would think that you were in a red light district in the Bronx or Brooklyn.
There is no way any decent person can look away and say "oh, its none of my business".

When the social fabrics or the social landscapes of any society is under the threat of permannent disfigurement,it becomes everyone's business.

3 Likes

Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by tpia5: 7:19am On Sep 23, 2012
like i always say, blindly copying white fashion without making any allowance for the fact that your overall figure doesnt necessarily match theirs, is terribly ignorant.

women especially need to take note of this.

dont throw discretion away in the name of wanting men to admire your body.

1 Like

Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by Nobody: 10:42am On Sep 23, 2012
plaetton: There is no way any decent person can look away and say "oh, its none of my business".

When the social fabrics or the social landscapes of any society is under the threat of permannent disfigurement,it becomes everyone's business.

Well, to make it OP's business proper, if the dressing of these children affects him / her that much, then he / she should walk up to the parents, and tell them he / she doesn't like the way their children are dressed. Who knows? The said parents may well shake his / her hand, and apologise, promising to dress their children better, so as not to offend the OP's sensitive nature. Somehow though, I doubt it.

The point I'm trying to get across here is, people will always dress the way they want to, I'm sure the OP has his / her own nasty habits with regards to dressing. Dress the way you like, and let others dress the way they're comfortable with. Spend more quality time with your own children, and I can bet you'll have very little time to be concerned with the way other parents choose to dress their children. We live in a diverse world, and whilst I may not like all I see with regards to dressing, my immediate concern is my own children, I have little or no time to be concerned with how my next door neighbour's children are dressed.

2 Likes

Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by Nobody: 11:41am On Sep 23, 2012
Siena:

Well, to make it OP's business proper, if the dressing of these children affect the him / her that much, then he / she should walk up to the parents, and tell them he / she doesn't like the way their children are dressed. Who knows? The said parents may well shake his / her hand, and apologise, promising to dress their children better, so as not to offend the OP's sensitive nature. Somehow though, I doubt it.

The point I'm trying to get across here is, people will always dress the way they want to, I'm sure the OP has his / her own nasty habits with regards to dressing. Dress the way you like, and let others dress the way they're comfortable with. Spend more quality time with your own children, and I can bet you'll have very little time to be concerned with the way other parents choose to dress their children. We live in a diverse world, and whilst I may not like all I see with regards to dressing, my immediate concern is my own children, I have little or know time to be concerned with how my next door neighbour's children are dressed.
I agree with part of your advice.
Even though I think there is a serious indecent exposure problem in our country especially among Children I also believe we should clear our space and reduce our judgements. I remember a post about a clearly loving couple whose only crime was that the wife had a tattoo and the man sagged his trousers, even though by the posters admission they were clearly a happy family. But see curses that followed, so many people said the son will run mad, be useless, bla bla bla. We worry a lot about keeping outward shallow appearances and remain, shallow and horrible inside. When next you see a child you think is not well dressed, then speak calmly to the parents and share your concern.
I believe however that parents need to be more careful, not everything is to be copied. Decency and modesty is godliness

1 Like

Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by BecaciaBarbie(f): 1:34pm On Sep 23, 2012
Siena:

Well, to make it OP's business proper, if the dressing of these children affects him / her that much, then he / she should walk up to the parents, and tell them he / she doesn't like the way their children are dressed. Who knows? The said parents may well shake his / her hand, and apologise, promising to dress their children better, so as not to offend the OP's sensitive nature. Somehow though, I doubt it.

The point I'm trying to get across here is, people will always dress the way they want to, I'm sure the OP has his / her own nasty habits with regards to dressing. Dress the way you like, and let others dress the way they're comfortable with. Spend more quality time with your own children, and I can bet you'll have very little time to be concerned with the way other parents choose to dress their children. We live in a diverse world, and whilst I may not like all I see with regards to dressing, my immediate concern is my own children, I have little or know time to be concerned with how my next door neighbour's children are dressed.
Mtchewwwww......rubbish comment! So he/she shud go nd strt looking for dr parents abi?? Does dat makes any sense at all to u?? Som pple wil jux come here nd type rubbish nd foolish comments! Nd whu tld u it is none of his/her biz?? For ur info its every1's biz! Wen u ve ur own children make sure u let dem dress like hookers okay..nd wen pple complain tel dem its none of dr biz! Mtchewww....

2 Likes

Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by plaetton: 1:39pm On Sep 23, 2012
^^^^
This is not about limiting individuality or individual freedom. Every society has to have thresholds of decency.
We are not America and we should ever ever delude ourselves that we are.
The broader issue is that indecent dressing is a clear manifestation a cultural malaise.

India, for example, is clearly modern, much more modern and sophisticated society than Nigeria both in terms of its technological contributions,their educational outputs, their industrial outputs , as well as their exposure to western culture and trends.
However, its almost impossible to see women and young girls walking the streets of Delhi with their cleavage exposed.
It would be great cultural taboo. The parents would most certainly face agonising embarrassment. So with all her sophistication, India still retails the important aspects of their culture.

If we, as a people can only get our kicks from waring what they wear in the ghettos of the US ,and in the same way that they wear it,then something is definitely amiss with our cultural underpinnings.

1 Like

Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by Nobody: 2:05pm On Sep 23, 2012
Becacia_Barbie:
Mtchewwwww......rubbish comment! So he/she shud go nd strt looking for dr parents abi?? Does dat makes any sense at all to u?? Som pple wil jux come here nd type rubbish nd foolish comments! Nd whu tld u it is none of his/her biz?? For ur info its every1's biz! Wen u ve ur own children make sure u let dem dress like hookers okay..nd wen pple complain tel dem its none of dr biz! Mtchewww....

Yes, since it troubles you as much as it does the OP, walk up to the parents of the offending children, and complain. That would make it your business. Merely whining on a public discussion board doesn't make it your business. Since you're so keen to make a difference, that's the only way you MAY change the way parents allow their children to dress. I have my own children, not sure where they figure in this thread though.

Your uncouth manner means nothing to me, you can rain insults till the cows come home. Prove you've got balls by approaching the parents of "ill-dressed" children, and telling them their children's sense of "indecency" offends you. They may listen to you, even invite you in for a drink, who knows? If you can read, and take in, you wouldn't call my post rubbish. But since you can't, I'll let you off, some folk have difficulty comprehending, so we make allowances.

4 Likes

Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by Nobody: 2:14pm On Sep 23, 2012
Becacia_Barbie:
At least if you are going to abuse someone then do it in good English so the person can read and understand what you are saying

1 Like

Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by slimyem: 2:26pm On Sep 23, 2012
I don't see anything wrong in what Siena proferred if you choose to be concerned with how people dress or dress-up their children.
In retrospect,it is not strange that we have adopted a large part of the western ways and are practising and interpreting it positively and negatively as the case may be.
People will continue to dress the way they choose no matter how many threads are opened to discuss issues surrounding dressing and no matter how much we thrash those issues.
At the end of the day,all you can do is work on yourself and the few people you can affect around you.Dress rightly and train your children to do the same and hope they don't swing the other way as adults.
You can only dress and let others dress the way they please!
Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by BecaciaBarbie(f): 4:13pm On Sep 23, 2012
debrief08:
At least if you are going to abuse someone then do it in good English so the person can read and understand what you are saying
Slow poke...so u dnt undastnd wht i typed above?? I see...ur brain its rili useless den! I dnt ve to use ma big grammars all d time okay! Well If u dnt undastnd, hit dat head of urs right on d wall...a rough wall...dat'lld b better....in order for ur brain to adjust to its right position! #okbyebye

1 Like

Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 23, 2012
Becacia_Barbie:
Slow poke...so u dnt undastnd wht i typed above?? I see...ur brain its rili useless den! I dnt ve to use ma big grammars all d time okay! Well If u dnt undastnd, hit dat head of urs right on d wall...a rough wall...dat'lld b better....in order for ur brain to adjust to its right position! #okbyebye
eyaahhhh, I really wish I understood what you were saying, I can only see you quoted my post so you must be speaking with me after that nothing
Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by prixxy(f): 4:47pm On Sep 23, 2012
Becacia_Barbie:

I guess while you so busy poking your nose into other peoples children's way of dressing, you forgot to teach yourself some manners on how to talk to people....Must you abuse must you fight. Please there is no need for all this insults.

1 Like

Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by BecaciaBarbie(f): 4:50pm On Sep 23, 2012
debrief08:
eyaahhhh, I really wish I understood what you were saying, I can only see you quoted my post so you must be speaking with me after that nothing
Lmao! Can u go thru ur prev post once again? Damn! I cnt beliv i replied u in d 1st place! B4 u condemn anyone try chkn ur sef out first! You just typed nothn bt nonsense...wna tryin usn ma phone to view d brain behind dis! Hehe
Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by Nobody: 4:58pm On Sep 23, 2012
Becacia_Barbie:
Lmao! Can u go thru ur prev post once again? Damn! I cnt beliv i replied u in d 1st place! B4 u condemn anyone try chkn ur sef out first! You just typed nothn bt nonsense...wna tryin usn ma phone to view d brain behind dis! Hehe
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin, I really wish I could understand oh, I for vex small but You just keep quoting me without talking. Na wa oh. Somebori helep me out. Decode please grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by BecaciaBarbie(f): 4:59pm On Sep 23, 2012
prixxy:

I guess while you so busy poking your nose into other peoples children's way of dressing, you forgot to teach yourself some manners on how to talk to people....Must you abuse must you fight. Please there is no need for all this insults.
Lool...whr are the children Nd must u comment?? I aint fightn enyone, busybody! Its a free world okay! I gat my opinion nd u gat urs...if u dnt like mine...Deal wid it!!!
Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by prixxy(f): 5:12pm On Sep 23, 2012
Becacia_Barbie:
Lool...whr are the children Nd must u comment?? I aint fightn enyone, busybody! Its a free world okay! I gat my opinion nd u gat urs...if u dnt like mine...Deal wid it!!!

Look at this mumu calling me busy body......Since you and i agree that its a free world then let people dress how they deem fit, if you don't like how other people dress then DEAL with it.And besides you don't have to be rude while stating your opinion
Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by Nobody: 6:36pm On Sep 23, 2012
prixxy:

Lmao!!! grin grin grin
Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by plaetton: 12:19am On Sep 24, 2012
Na wa o.
Look at adults. embarassed
Unable to hold civilised discourse without resorting to verbal insults and innuendos. undecided

Then we wonder where our children get their mannerisms from?. cry

At least we now know where the problems originate. shocked
Re: Are We Living In A World Of Indecency Or Fashion by tpia5: 3:25am On Sep 24, 2012
key word here is CONTEXT.

for the love of all things sane, PLEASE DRESS APPROPRIATELY FOR THE CONTEXT UNLESS YOU ARE MAD.

end of.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Stigmatisation Promotes Baby Factories / See This Viral Photo Of This Old Woman Breast Feeding His Grown Up Son / My Fiancée Is Pregnant For Me, And This Is Happening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.