Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,007 members, 7,821,528 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:22 PM

Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? (29717 Views)

Nigerian Churches, Others Causing Increased Witchcraft Persecution In UK – Group / Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches / If Nigerian Churches Were Stocks: Which Would You Buy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by damola1: 1:05pm On Sep 26, 2012
Some people deserve to get shot!...
Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by amobii: 1:09pm On Sep 26, 2012
The churches now operate like a profit making organisation, these churches employed every marketing strategies to grow their buziness, setting a parameter for parishes in less 100 meters in every location. As for the universities is now a competition,among the churches and I do not see them last long or the congregation will continue to suffer, but if they wise up it might b their end.
Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by taigee: 1:12pm On Sep 26, 2012
Why don't people do their homework well before speaking?
Yes the cost of the universities are high because the cost of running any quality institution in Nigeria is high.
But I know that they do give scholarships.
The Land Mark University Opened in 2011 with various degrees of scholarships, 30%, 60% & 100% depending on the qualification of the applying students.
I know several students in the system right now on scholarship.
Do you know that Bishop Oyedepo operates a foundation that grants Bursaries to Hundred thousands of church members children every year?
He couldn't have been fooling all these millions of members all these years.
Many people on the street know that winners chapel is one of the few churches where you can receive financial aid easily as a member.
There is something that has kept people following.
Do your research well before you spill your ignorance for the world to see.
God knows if I am not blessed spiritual, physically and all round being a part of the church body i would have left long ago.
Do you know? Even Muslims want their children to attend these mission schools because of quality and discipline.
It is not just about money, its about rolling out quality products.
Many are too myopic to see this.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by puzzler: 1:15pm On Sep 26, 2012
Please no strings attached,but for those arguing about the educational quality of this schools,i dont know if this might answer our curiosity..
I remember meeting a 4.2GP 2nd class final year student of one of this schools and during the course of our discussion said he as never heard the word PRE-REQUISITE.. to be precise he said "we dont do dat course in our school" I was embarrased..
though dat doesnt mean dat oda schools dont av block heads but i was just ..........
Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by Nwogbe: 1:17pm On Sep 26, 2012
The more u look d less u see. Me don wise up tyetye.
Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by highlandre(m): 1:17pm On Sep 26, 2012
I'm seriously annoyed some dudes here are writing in favour of these extortionists churches. How do you rob Peter to pay Paul? Are churches not meant to be the opium of the people, the last hope of the masses?

The main reason why Nigeria has failed is because of the hypocritical roles and failure of our religious institutions. I really pity today's bigots>...If humanists like Awolowo and co gave free and compulsory education to all, how much more churches?

You can't find me in such churches sha

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by nora544: 1:24pm On Sep 26, 2012
the problem is that all this man of good with there universities also Pastor Adeboye forgot about the poor people in Ngeria. I read something that Pastor Adeboye was very poor, when he was young and now he forget about his past to speak about is one side but to help poor in the own country is the other side, it is easy to speak.

I have a daughter and she goes to a privat catholic school and when i see and I come from austria what i pay for the schoolfees including Lunch and that they take care the hole day of her it was cheaper than a private university in Nigeria. I payed for the private School for my daughter including eating 300 USD per month that is 3000,-- USd per year but I live in Austria.
Schoolfees here in Austria is 500 USD two time a year for Universities from the goverment. We have very feew privat Universities.
I know the people in nigeria will wake up and Jeasus will show them the right way away from this fake Pastors who take only the money from the poor.
I have a good friend and we take about churches in nigeria and she told me what the pastors make and that makes me sade she now see how it works here and she say it is much better.
Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by luluosas(m): 1:36pm On Sep 26, 2012
abysirius: This perhaps must have crossed a lot of minds at the thought of the ridiculous tuition fees that most of these private universities (most especially churches owned schools) charge their student. Come to think of it, these schools are built with church funds yet it is only the rich, I mean 'very rich' that are only capable of sending their children to these schools.
If I may use JABU- Joseph Ayo Babalola University owned by CAC- as an example, I was in year 1 @ LAUTECH when they where still raising money for the school. After every sunday service the pastor would come and remind every member of their commitment towards building the school. So then it was a normal routine that they raised a special offering for the building of the university then. This happens in virtually all CAC churches throughout the federation during this time. Those that are CAC members can bear me witness. They'll task everybody and I tell you, pple supported this mission with the mind that @ least if the school is built it will still help my children. We all know that ratio of the rich to the poor in most CAC churches are like 30:70. The reason is not far-fetched. CAC is predominantly a yoruba church for the not too educated class except for some few top notch in the society that specifically like their service, the church is filled with petty traders.

Back to my point exactly: Now that the school is in operation, how many of these poor petty CAC traders can send their children to the school for enrolment? What exactly is the aim of the church mgt.: Is it to bridge the gap btw the poor and the rich or to widen it? Do they ever think of rewarding these poor pple that contributed towards the creation os these schools or are they of the opinion that their reward is in heaven when even the 'G.O.s' are rreaping theirs here on earth? What kinda message are we sending out to our immediate environment. Before the emergence of these so called private schools in Nigeria tertiary schools were pretty okay. LAUTECH was paying 2,500 naira. In 2006 it became 6k. Before I left it was 40k thanks to Baptist Missionary, CAC, the 7th adventist mission, catholic churh, abi no be dem get Ajayi crowther? Winners, in fact na u try pass. Pls we need to wake up and stop been fooled in the name of Christ. I don't know your take on this but I believe there could better ways to this. Ur views are welcom..
OP, you raised a valid point but, it would have been better if the tuition fees were posted along.
Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by akandejames: 1:42pm On Sep 26, 2012
... i hope a day will come when all Nigerians will realize how much they've been robbed by these thieves... i hope you'll soon realize you are mostly in a business centre. it is good to fight and quarel when u call a spade by its name cos truth is bitter and For God sake stop worshiping this people thats why u r so brain washed u dont see anything wrong with that. Even Toke Makinwa of Cool Fm morning Drive raised this same topic about MFM university!!! whats going on in this country. followers please speak up.... embarassed
Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Sep 26, 2012
All u alumni of these church unis justifying it cos of the qualit, don't u realise that most of the quality stuffs are unnessary.

For Christ's sake they treat them like kids still using diapers.
''no cooking''
''no wearing of trousers for girls''
''no jeans allowed''
''no leaving campus''
''8pm curfew''
''no phones''
''u must be in church at 6am''
''all ur neccesities are provided at ur doorstep''etc

For goodness sake just becos its a religious intitution doesn't mean they should flood them with rules and treat them like babies.

Mind u they are going to the real world after this, what experience what experience would they have.
A uni is not just meant to teach u about life but allow u experience it.

My mom works in one of those universities and she told me about a boy who was driven by their emergency bus AT 2 AM to the hospital becos of what? Because he had BITTEN HIS TONGUE.lol.
Do u c the kind of kids they are raising there.

And if they think its making them responisible and disciplined well they can keep dreaming becos its when those private unis vacate that hotels nearby get filled wella.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by Venchy: 1:47pm On Sep 26, 2012
I said it before and I'll say it again, NIGERIANS are the most GULLIBLE people I n earth.

We claim to be smart but look at your so called MAN OF GOD living Large, buying Private Jet....chei chei. Chei .

It was Authority stealing before, now it's Church stealing.

Which way Nigeria.

Nigerians Arise against all this con artist.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by greaterlove(m): 1:50pm On Sep 26, 2012
we all know that quality university education is expensive, if the churches gives scholarships to the brilliant kids among the poor folks in the church then they are justified. we can only condemn their actions if they dont help some of the kids from poor homes or if the number of kids they give scholarships is just to save face. i will be happy if anyone can tell us the ratio of students on scholarships to the numbers enrolled each year.
Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by achi4u(m): 1:51pm On Sep 26, 2012
@okija_juju thank you very much for your analysis and exposure about this men of god(or should i say men of money),but I don't blame them,I blame the so called "church members" who can do anything to part with their had earn money to those 'angry lion' in sheep cloths....just in the name of worshiping GOD!?
This is how not the WESTERN missionaries who brought this church(es) worship at their own countries,I make bold to say that poverty and illitreacy have make many to worship GOD on the wrong ways.The pastors will be feeding fat while 'you' keep showing your exco skeletongrin
Odikwa egwu!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by Simonwal: 1:56pm On Sep 26, 2012
Churches exploit poor. Same things is happening in Nigerian politics is happening in Churches. Shame!!!
Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by Nella(f): 1:56pm On Sep 26, 2012
The schools need to b xpensive to provide quality education *i laugh in chinese*

Dese priv8 schools do nt evn knw d definition of quality. Dey giv out first class like manna so d rich can kip sendin their children ( who wld barely scrape a pass in fedral uni) der.

I personally knw a case of a classmate of mine who got admission into one of dese priv8 uni's mind u dis is an average student am talkin abt here. She goes dey n z scoring 4.7 gp without attendin classes. Dis is nt quality. She cannot defend her result nxt to a 2nd class student of a standard uni
Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by Super1759: 1:58pm On Sep 26, 2012
Okija_juju: [size=13pt]Brethren and Sistren, Please open your biblbes with me to the book of MATTHEW 12: 13 [b] And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, "It is written," he said to them, "'My house will be called a house of prayer,' but you are making it a 'den of robbers.'"

What we are witnessing today is that the house of God has graduated from being a house of prayers to becoming an avenue to defraud people. When they want to build these churches, they collect offerings from the congregation both rich & poor for many years and so it can be said that the they contributed to build that church.. Iya Ileke Idi that sells Pure Water at Obalende contributed to that school, Baba Bluetooth the fisherman at Makoko contributed to that school. And for them to see that school completed, and then watch the kids of only the Rich, Wealthy and well to do attend the schools their money built, I think is very very bad! Its sort of the same way that a Pastor would fly in a Gulfstream Jet with the monies he collect from his poor congregation who sometimes trek to church, give their offering and trek back home..

Anybody who dosent see this as wrong, all I can say is may you never be poor.. May you never be in the position to contribute to something and never be able to enjoy it.. Here is a price check of Private University tuitions.. (Church Unis);

1. BOWEN University owned and operated by a Baptist Convention, charges ₦650,000 as tuition fees per session.

2. COVENANT University established by Bishop Oyedepo of Winners Chapel ₦640,000 as tuition fees per session.

3. BENSON IDAHOSA University charges ₦500,000 as tuition fees per session.

4. BABCOCK University established by The Seventh Day Adventist, charges ₦450,000 as tuition fees per session.

5. REDEEMERS University owned by The Redeemed Christian Church of God , charges ₦450,000 as tuition fees per session.

6. AJAYI CROWTHER University established by The Supra diocesan board of the church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion), charges ₦350,000per session.

7. MADONNA University a Catholic University charges ₦350,000 as tuition fees per session.

[/b]

I wonder how many civil servants can afford these fees?! In a country where minimum wage of 18,000 naira is still hard for the government to pay?! And the government is still the highest employerof labour in this same country. I wonder how many Farmers can afford these fees?! I wonder how many Artisans can afford these fees?! Go into our villages, even those where you need a canoe to access, you will see Redeemed church there, you will see Wunners Chapel and all these other churches, those villagers also contributed in their own small way to these schools and the sad part is that while they keep praying for God to better their lot so they can afford to send their kids to these schools which their monies have built, the pastor is enjoying the proceeds from their investments..

Now I understand that University education is expensive.. Infact, I am a stong proponent for Universities to be autonomous and allowed to charge as much as is necessary for them to run, however, I also believe in Merit scholarship, partial scholarships and stuffs like that.. The churches dont even offer any sort of scholarship scheme for the less privileged members.. And the amazing part is that the members themselves see nothing wrong in this o!! But the day the government increases a state university tuition fee from 50 thousand to 75 thousand, see them rioting and carrying placards..

P.S: The two cheapest private schools on that list are Anglican and Catholic universities..
[/size]
you just mentioned the ones you know. Do you know how private church owned universitites in Nigeria?
Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by Slyp: 2:11pm On Sep 26, 2012
damzbaba: Most contributions are voluntary. Regardless of how many times, donations are called for in Churches, people can not give what they do not have. While I agree with the fact that these schools are very expensive, how much really is the value of a quality education? We cannot begin to compare the fees of Government schools with Religious private universities because of the difference in funding and budgetary allocations. The fees are heavily subisdized by the government. For these private universities to be equally affordable (subsidized) the congregation will need to donate more. You cannot even begin to compare facilities, accomodation and privileges some of these private universities provide with that of some state owned schools. Even Religious universities abroad are expensive. The best that happens for congregation members is a percentage fee waiver. If we agree that both rich and poor contribute towards the building of these schools, are we agreeing that the poor contribute more in terms of donation? If the universities built by the funds of both poor and rich were opened to all their kids, which funds would be used to run those universities? Wouldn't the poor have to contribute more and pay fees at the same time? What would the criteria for entry/admission be? The best the universities can do is to make a number of merit based scholarships available to all members' families regardless of economic standing as a means of creating fair opportunity, while accepting students who can pay fees to help them continue a sustainable model. Running a university is no small feat. Religion aside, in business and shareholding, not all shareholders have the same privileges. Some seat on the board, some pull strings and have their kids/family members employed by the companies, and others just wait to receive their dividends. Religions Universities are not charity institutions.

if universities are being built by churches due to lack of quality educational system in the country then that should have be the more reason why they opt to have made it more affordable for the poor because they are the ones been affected by this lack of good standard educational system, while the funding of the universities still continue in the same method it was built by collecting same offerings and donations for the up keep of the school. The rich has never be victims of lack of good education in this country. If government does not care about the poor why can`t the church care for then. On the other side, if these universities are for the purpose of making profit then i will classify it wrong without ambiguity
Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by mko2005: 2:16pm On Sep 26, 2012
gees_02:

That is a very big lie, there are scholarship schemes available to d less privileged, and also, a university for the poor is not possible, the money to run it won't fall from heaven, and for ur info the proceeds are used for evangelism, and also spent on thru poor. Uu don't expect a church to blow it's horn every time a donation is made to an orphanage. And for those who would scream about rich pastors, mind uu, they have their own businesses, and because uu serve God doesn't mean uu should be wretched. If I were hoping to be a billionaire I would go to a pastor who is one !!!
People don't like to hear that you have got some savings as a man who identified with God !
Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by Super1759: 2:17pm On Sep 26, 2012
Here are the list of private schools in nigeria and 90percent of them are owned by churches. Ofcourse the number increases year by year. something must be done
[b]PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES IN NIGERIA
Abti-American University, Yola
http://www.abti-american.edu.ng

Achievers University, Owo
http://www.achievers.edu.ng
http://www.achieversuniversity.org

African University of Science & Technology, Abuja
http://www.aust.edu.ng
http://aust-abuja.org

Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan
www.acu.edu.ng

Babcock University,Ilishan-Remo
http://www.babcockuni.edu.ng

Bells University of Technology, Otta
http://www.bellsuniversity.org

Benson Idahosa University,Benin City
http://www.idahosauniversity.com

Bingham University, New Karu
http://www.binghamuniv.net

Bowen University, Iwo
http://www.bowenuniversity-edu.org

Caleb University, Lagos
http://www.calebuniversity.edu.ng
http://www.calebuniversitylagos.com

Caritas University, Enugu

CETEP City University, Ibadan
http://www.cetepuniversity.com

Covenant University Ota
www.covenantuniversity.com

Redeemer’s University, Mowe
http://www.run.edu.ng

Renaissance University, Enugu
www.rnu.edu.ng

Salem University, Lokoja
www.salemuniversity.org

Tansian University,Umunya
VC: http://www.tansian-edu.com

University of Mkar, Mkar
www.unimkar.edu.ng

Veritas University
www.veritas.edu.ng

Wesley Univ. of Science & Tech.,Ondo
www.wusto.com, www.wesleyuniversity.org

Western Delta University, Oghara
www.wduniversity.org

Wukari Jubilee University,
www.wukarijubileeuniversity.org

Crawford University Igbesa
www.crawforduniversity.edu.ng

Crescent University,
http://www.crescentuniversityng.com

Fountain Unveristy,Oshogbo
http://fountainuniversity.org
http://portal.fountainuniversity.org

Igbinedion University Okada
http://www.iuokada.edu.ng

Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
http://www.jabung.org

Katsina University, Katsina
http://katsinauniversityportal.net

Lead City University, Ibadan
http://www.lcu.edu.ng

Madonna University, Okija
www.madonnauniversityportal.com

Obong University, Obong Ntak
www.obonguniversity.net

Pan African Univeristy,lagos[/b]
Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by nedostic: 2:28pm On Sep 26, 2012
@All,

Another twist to this post might be the need to ask if these religious universities are in anyway better than federal universities or even some state universities? Capital 'NO'

So many of these private universities lack educational quality and key learning infrastructures.

As 'lofty' and exorbitant as Covenant University(methinks its the best private university in Nigeria),its still not within the ilk of MAU(UNILAG),UI,UNIBEN, ABU, UNILORIN(quasi alma mater), OAU(alma mater),UNN,etc.

That the Nigerian educational system is in a comatose state does not mean that church funded(or other religious)universities should charge exorbitant school fees that are way beyond the reach of an average Nigerian let alone the poor in the villages.

What informs a church(or a religious organisation) to set up a church for 'business' profiteering? I would appreciate bible (or perhaps religious) scholars to show me any scriptures within any Holy Book that says churches(or religious bodies)ought to consider 'business' profits before altruism.

It beats my imagination that the same pool of offerings and tithes collected by churches are used in building these universities yet so many members cannot afford to send their kids to these same schools. What an irony! This is mere hypocrisy!

The Nigerian problem from my own understanding is more of a 'materialistic psyche' and it has found its ugly head in churches and other religious organisations.

Frankly speaking the materialistic psyche has not helped us as a nation and this is where I expected the church including other religious organisations to have acted but its rather unfortunate that the Nigerian church and other religious settings have fully accepted it as as a norm.

Between, our colonial masters and missionaries of old did leave with us so many great primary and secondary schools.

What is the Nigerian church bequeathing to millions of Nigerian children who cannot afford to go to school?

As at date, I am yet to see the quality in private university education in Nigeria.

Methinks, Nigerian church universities are short cuts to university certificates and suit the whims and caprices of the Nigerian elite while making the poor in the church 'poorer-mental and economical' and most ultimately increasing the wide gulf between the Nigerian rich and the poor in the society. This creates social and economic tension in the society due to 'high' class difference.

Need I remind you that most people(including Christians)in the Nigerian society would most likely be willing to trade off moral rectitude for corrupt practices, all in a bid to get their kids and wards into these private schools which are 'supposedly quality' universities.

Each time I ponder on this topic, I count it as a shame to the Nigerian church!Anyway, so many are impostors and not the true church of Christ.Christianity is all about giving with less attention to receiving. Hence, the church must be alive to her responsibilities to members within her fold and the Nigerian populace at large.

I see no reason why a church or a religious organisation that is not taxed (even if taxed)should charge 'high' and exorbitant tuition fees.

I am not against tuition fees but the pricing must be thoroughly looked at considering the poverty and squalor in the Nigerian state.

I am not oblivious of the fact that some churches award scholarship to indigent students to attend these universities and others,but the school fees are still beyond the reach of most Nigerians. It ought to be pegged down if the church and other religious organisations are willing to grow a dynamic Nigerian society.

Quality in education can always be gotten with the right mix of pricing, human capital, environmental factors, leadership, research, collaboration,etc.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by sarutobie(m): 2:29pm On Sep 26, 2012
In as much as I am not going to absolve some of the churches from siphoning its members but,do you know that our education(in state and government primary,secondary and tertiary instittuitions) are subsidized?..An average/middleclass family CANNOT pay for an unsubsidized education..education is the most important thing you can do for an individual...it is priceless..even at that,some state schools pay upto 150k for tuition fees..
Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by nora544: 2:37pm On Sep 26, 2012
I don't know if you see this video I found it and i know that this is true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoEwPACFyiw
Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by damzbaba: 2:49pm On Sep 26, 2012
Anvaller:

This a problem with Nigerians any day.
1) I will assume that you are now dutch and void of this problem. Because if you are Nigerian,then you have a problem.

[b]I made a post that compared the cost of a quality education from the global sense with the cost of quality education from Bowen and Babcock etc sense, then used Bowen versus Wageninegn University as a reference and then drew a conclusion. Simple straight forward and factual analysis.

2)My initial post questioned the criteria for admission into religious universities, the value of contribution and benefit of/for parties involved, it then also made a point about the quality of education and its value.
That quality of education was in reference to state universities.

[/b]To my dismay, U in ur narrow mind failed to see the sense in my argument and rather preferred to believe that I only intended to brag.

3)You made no sense and all you did was brag (google your university my foot)

Then u came and shot urself in the foot by claiming that u study in Cambridge

4) You have me confused here. If studying in my school is shooting myself in the foot, I'll take the bullets all day.

and still ur understanding of quality education is limited to NO STRIKES CONDUCIVE ENVIRONMENT (so the environment in Babcock is as conducive as that in Cambridge)

5) I really can't waste my time explaining to you that a school experience exceeds what is taught in the classroom

I dont wanna believe that your claim is untrue but i just want to believe that u are very unrealistic with urself. Again if u are studying in Cambridge and u think the only way u can know the quality of education in Bowen is to forward an inquiry to the NUC

6) Again you fail to understand the significance of the NUC

meeeehn u try! If that was ur thesis for instance, is that what you would do?

It is not my business if u are in Cambridge or not,that is not what matters.

7) Don't be jealous. You mentioned your school, I mentioned mine. No hard feelings

What matters is to come up with an argument that is logical, convincing and true you have failed to do that in all ramifications.

cool I was stating my opinion and not having an argument,I concede failure in that regard.

Regards.

Cheers smiley
Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by kemoolala: 2:55pm On Sep 26, 2012
Brethren and Sistren, Please open your biblbes with me to the book of MATTHEW 12: 13 And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, "It is written," he said to them, "'My house will be called a house of prayer,' but you are making it a 'den of robbers.'"

What we are witnessing today is that the house of God has graduated from being a house of prayers to becoming an avenue to defraud people. When they want to build these churches, they collect offerings from the congregation both rich & poor for many years and so it can be said that the they contributed to build that church.. Iya Ileke Idi that sells Pure Water at Obalende contributed to that school, Baba Bluetooth the fisherman at Makoko contributed to that school. And for them to see that school completed, and then watch the kids of only the Rich, Wealthy and well to do attend the schools their money built, I think is very very bad! Its sort of the same way that a Pastor would fly in a Gulfstream Jet with the monies he collect from his poor congregation who sometimes trek to church, give their offering and trek back home..

Anybody who dosent see this as wrong, all I can say is may you never be poor.. May you never be in the position to contribute to something and never be able to enjoy it.. Here is a price check of Private University tuitions.. (Church Unis);

1. BOWEN University owned and operated by a Baptist Convention, charges ₦650,000 as tuition fees per session.

2. COVENANT University established by Bishop Oyedepo of Winners Chapel ₦640,000 as tuition fees per session.

4. BABCOCK University established by The Seventh Day Adventist, charges ₦450,000 as tuition fees per session.

5. REDEEMERS University owned by The Redeemed Christian Church of God , charges ₦450,000 as tuition fees per session.

6. AJAYI CROWTHER University established by The Supra diocesan board of the church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion), charges ₦350,000per session.

7. MADONNA University a Catholic University charges ₦350,000 as tuition fees per session.

I wonder how many civil servants can afford these fees?! In a country where minimum wage of 18,000 naira is still hard for the government to pay?! And the government is still the highest employerof labour in this same country. I wonder how many Farmers can afford these fees?! I wonder how many Artisans can afford these fees?! Go into our villages, even those where you need a canoe to access, you will see Redeemed church there, you will see Wunners Chapel and all these other churches, those villagers also contributed in their own small way to these schools and the sad part is that while they keep praying for God to better their lot so they can afford to send their kids to these schools which their monies have built, the pastor is enjoying the proceeds from their investments..

Now I understand that University education is expensive.. Infact, I am a stong proponent for Universities to be autonomous and allowed to charge as much as is necessary for them to run, however, I also believe in Merit scholarship, partial scholarships and stuffs like that.. The churches dont even offer any sort of scholarship scheme for the less privileged members.. And the amazing part is that the members themselves see nothing wrong in this o!! But the day the government increases a state university tuition fee from 50 thousand to 75 thousand, see them rioting and carrying placards..

P.S: The two cheapest private schools on that list are Anglican and Catholic universities..

Bravo!! pray to God to bless you also so that u too can send ur children to those university. Let me ask u one question, wen was the last time u paid ur tithe& offering ? cos ur claiming now dat ur part of those contributed to build these schools, shio!!! akuse buruku! na stone dem go take pay those lecturers now abi no be so or dem tell u say na charity dem dey run...gerrout!!!
Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by khalids: 3:01pm On Sep 26, 2012
Na wa for all this argument.......It shows that people do not read their bibles at all, too many spiritually weak people. Too many church goers and bench warmers.

Okay. Lets just take an example, the bible says that there will be false prophets among the the people who call themselves men of God.
Currently we have so many men of God in Nigeria, and there is a possibility that there are false prophets among them.....DO NIGERIANS KNOW HOW TO IDENTIFY THEM....

The bible says by their fruits we shall know them......WHAT KIND OF FRUITS ARE THE MEN OF GOD IN NIGERIA BEARING..are they in line with the dictates of the bible.

My advise is simple, let your bible guide and the Holy spirit guide you and it will not be difficult for you to identify the wolf among the sheep

I wonder sometimes, we have so many churches and so many powerful men of God, but yet so much wickedness in the land. It almost appears that all the teachings/preaching is not making impact.

And please I'm not here to quarrel with anyone, just want to make my point in peace.
Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by kemoolala: 3:05pm On Sep 26, 2012
[/color][color=#770077]
kemoolala: Brethren and Sistren, Please open your biblbes with me to the book of MATTHEW 12: 13 And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, "It is written," he said to them, "'My house will be called a house of prayer,' but you are making it a 'den of robbers.'"

Bravo!! pray to God to bless you also so that u too can send ur children to those university. Let me ask u one question, wen was the last time u paid ur tithe& offering ? cos ur claiming now dat ur part of those contributed to build these schools, shio!!! akuse buruku! na stone dem go take pay those lecturers now abi no be so or dem tell u say na charity dem dey run...gerrout!!!
kemoolala: Brethren and Sistren, Please open your biblbes with me to the book of MATTHEW 12: 13 And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, "It is written," he said to them, "'My house will be called a house of prayer,' but you are making it a 'den of robbers.'"

Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by item1: 3:08pm On Sep 26, 2012
taigee: Why don't people do their homework well before speaking?
Yes the cost of the universities are high because the cost of running any quality institution in Nigeria is high.
But I know that they do give scholarships.
The Land Mark University Opened in 2011 with various degrees of scholarships, 30%, 60% & 100% depending on the qualification of the applying students.
I know several students in the system right now on scholarship.
Do you know that Bishop Oyedepo operates a foundation that grants Bursaries to Hundred thousands of church members children every year?
He couldn't have been fooling all these millions of members all these years.
Many people on the street know that winners chapel is one of the few churches where you can receive financial aid easily as a member.
There is something that has kept people following.
Do your research well before you spill your ignorance for the world to see.
God knows if I am not blessed spiritual, physically and all round being a part of the church body i would have left long ago.
Do you know? Even Muslims want their children to attend these mission schools because of quality and discipline.
It is not just about money, its about rolling out quality products.
Many are too myopic to see this.

If its all about the quality, how come i can't find any of these your quality schools in the list of good schools in the world.
Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by fransois2(m): 3:21pm On Sep 26, 2012
It is a very sad reflection of our society today, the church is just an extension of the corrupt and inequitable world will leave today, unfortunately the church that ought to be there for the oppressed are indeed the home where such unfair acts are being conduced and condoned.
Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by johndahray(m): 3:37pm On Sep 26, 2012
I have a neighbour who hav served as a worker at cannanland for years without gaining admission into their university because of money nd wasting away his precious time in the nation of religion,not until it came to his conciousness that time is fast going he made a uturn now he his a student of UNAD.My submission is pple should wise up don't let religion get into ur head rather Ʊ hav ur life to live
Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by Benito69(m): 4:10pm On Sep 26, 2012
There are so many factors that go into play, especially when school's set their fees, some of these factors are directly and indirectly influenced by government action and inaction as the case may be.
The elite know the value of education, that is why they send their kids overseas but some of our fellow Nigerians have seen first hand what is available overseas and wish to bring that over here.
Let's support them, just as G.S.M phones were not available for the poor, but with time everyone could afford it, lets join hands in reducing the need for these universities to increase their fees, by holding the government responsible for creating a viable and suitable environment for these universities to operate in (good roads, electricity, security e.t.c).
Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by armadeo(m): 4:26pm On Sep 26, 2012
All this screaming about fees. What makes me laff in tongues is after school what next. No jobs.. No money fr small scale buisness notin.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Churches: Who Are They Building Universities For? by mko2005: 4:28pm On Sep 26, 2012
item1:

If its all about the quality, how come i can't find any of these your quality schools in the list of good schools in the world.
Keep searching you will soon find them. At least sooner than any of the other non Church owned !

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

2019 Election Prophecies: Prophet Jeremiah Fufeyin Cautions Men Of God (Video) / Pope Francis Reacts To Ozubulu Anambra Catholic Church Killings, Offers Prayers / Is Jesus Really God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.