Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,044 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:43 AM

Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders (4369 Views)

Ndigbo Must Unite To Build New Nigeria – Ogbonnaya Onu / Why Ndigbo Must Have A Re-think / Jonathan Meets Igbo Leaders & Elders In Lagos (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by nduchucks: 3:40pm On Sep 25, 2012
afam4eva:
Shouldn't this also apply to other NIgerians too??

I never claimed that it does not apply to other Nigerians. My forcus is Ala Igbo and its leadership which has not yet figured it out. Trust me, they read these posts.

I believe that one of the main reasons why most of the current and past Igbo leaders have failed and continue to fail, is because of the issue I raised. I don't want to call it narrow mindedness.
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by Katsumoto: 3:44pm On Sep 25, 2012
afam4eva:
Shouldn't this also apply to other NIgerians too??

Re-read my post again.

Katsumoto: Regardless of region, all regions are lacking in truly self-less leaders. The truly self-less leaders in Nigeria like Amino Kano, Sam Mbakwe did not get the chance to lead their regions.

But I think the point Ndu_Chucks was trying to make was that Igbo leaders raised outside Alaigbo may be better leaders not because they learned good leadership qualities in other regions but perhaps exposure to other cultures and ways of life makes one a better leader and citizen. Surely, that will apply to all Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by Katsumoto: 3:45pm On Sep 25, 2012
Germannig:

If it applies to every region like I already have concluded by my previous post, would it not be bigotry for the OP to make it an Igbo problem?
How can the North and West be the example that the East should follow when they have not set any example of leadership that's worth being followed?

Can anyone give me one example of excellent leadership that the Igbo should copy from the North and SW?

Where in my post did I suggest that there are qualities in other regions that can be emulated by Igbo leaders?

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by Germannig: 3:55pm On Sep 25, 2012
Katsumoto:

Where in my post did I suggest that there are qualities in other regions that can be emulated by Igbo leaders?

Broadly speaking, based on the topic that you have contributed in. Got it?
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by Germannig: 3:57pm On Sep 25, 2012
ndu_chucks:

nwanne m, for once, leave tribalism and bigotry behind and read what I wrote and Katsumoto's read of my initial post. As well summarised for you, the point is that Igbo leaders raised outside Alaigbo are indeed better leaders not because they learned good leadership qualities in other regions but partly because of exposure to other cultures and ways of life makes one a better leader and citizen.

I am now convinnced that the Igbo babe called ogugua88 is smarter that you cone heads - heads filled with akamu kawai.

Get off your ignorance. Then for the same reason as you gave above, northern leaders and western leaders raised in the East make better leaders in their respective regions too. Are we agreed on that?
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by nduchucks: 3:58pm On Sep 25, 2012
Katsumoto:

manmi, these people read and interprete posts solely through the prism of tribalism and bigotry. You were kind to the dullard, I tried very hard not to curse him and the other narrow minded posters out but restraned myself domin ni mai tsoron Allah ne.
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by nduchucks: 4:01pm On Sep 25, 2012
Germannig:

Get off your ignorance. Then for the same reason as you gave above, northern leaders and western leaders raised in the East make better leaders in their respective regions too. Are we agreed on that?

Possibly, though I am not aware of any. Please name only 2 of such leaders to solve my ignorance in this matter.
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by Nobody: 4:05pm On Sep 25, 2012
I wonder how some people are reading these posts. There seem to be a lot of misinterpretations. Katsumoto's post was spot on.

2 Likes

Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by Katsumoto: 4:09pm On Sep 25, 2012
ogugua88: I wonder how some people are reading these posts. There seem to be a lot of misinterpretations. Katsumoto's post was spot on.

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by Afam4eva(m): 4:16pm On Sep 25, 2012
ndu_chucks:

I never claimed that it does not apply to other Nigerians. My forcus is Ala Igbo and its leadership which has not yet figured it out. Trust me, they read these posts.

I believe that one of the main reasons why most of the current and past Igbo leaders have failed and continue to fail, is because of the issue I raised. I don't want to call it narrow mindedness.
Now, what's your business with the leadership in Igboland. Why not focus on your part of the country or are you implying that the North produces better leaders than the South-east?
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by nduchucks: 4:36pm On Sep 25, 2012
afam4eva:
Now, what's your business with the leadership in Igboland. Why not focus on your part of the country or are you implying that the North produces better leaders than the South-east?

One would have to conclude that you are either an illiterate, a blind bat, or a wannabe bully. Who are you to tell me what the focus of a thread I opened should be? If you are not interested in the topic or not intelligent enough to discuss without unnecessary effeminate emotionalism, go and start your own thread or get out of this one.
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by Afam4eva(m): 4:42pm On Sep 25, 2012
ndu_chucks:

One would have to conclude that you are either an illiterate, a blind bat, or a wannabe bully. Who are you to tell me what the focus of a thread I opened should be? If you are not interested in the topic or not intelligent enough to discuss without unnecessary effeminate emotionalism, go and start your own thread or get out of this one.
Answer my question "Are you implying that the north has produced better leaders than the east?"
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by sheyguy: 4:46pm On Sep 25, 2012
The topic says: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders and part of the Origianl Post says
If you don't believe me, let me point out that the most revered Igbo leader, Ikemba himself, was a Northerner at heart. Most will agree that Okorocha is turning out to be the best governor to ever rule in ala Igbo. Why, well, Okorocha spent most of his adult lie outside of Igbo land in Jos.
So how does the above translate to insult on Igbo pple?
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by ektbear: 4:54pm On Sep 25, 2012
ndu_chucks:
In case you missed it, I have the blood of all three major tribes in Nigeria flowing in me and I have a vested interest in the well being of ala Igbo and Ndigbo. I am particularly concerned about the damage being done to incoming generations of Ndigbo because of the leadership problem of Igbo leaders. This is not an obsession but genuine concern.

And if you had the blood of all 250+ tribes in Nigeria in you, that would be even more impressive....but just as irrelevant.

You self-identify as a Muslim Northerner. You are from Kaduna, are you not? But you never seem to show much interest in those places where you are from.

Igbos may have leadership problems. But is this not doubly true of Northerners like yourself?

Shouldn't you remove the plank from your own eye before concerning yourself about the sawdust in the Igbo man's eye?

2 Likes

Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by Germannig: 5:07pm On Sep 25, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Possibly, though I am not aware of any. Please name only 2 of such leaders to solve my ignorance in this matter.

I think one former Governor of Kano spent part of his life in the East.
Same for former governor of Kogi state?
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by Germannig: 5:12pm On Sep 25, 2012
ndu_chucks:

You are the one who is ignorant, half-baked and blind. Only a blind northerner such as yourself will call a one-eyed man blind
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by sheyguy: 5:13pm On Sep 25, 2012
Somebody has gone into some research here, Maybe or Maybe not this pattern is present in northern Governor and Western Governor . . . this us a thread for leaders of Eastern Nigeria extract on an anonymous forum for now.
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by Germannig: 5:14pm On Sep 25, 2012
sheyguy: Somebody has gone into some research here, Maybe or Maybe not this pattern is present in northern Governor and Western Governor . . . this us a thread for leaders of Eastern Nigeria extract on an anonymous forum for now.
You this fool. The topic compared SE leaders with N and SW leaders, so every region mentioned in on the table
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by Germannig: 5:18pm On Sep 25, 2012
Actually where you were born and/or raised may have little or no bearing with what you turn out to be later on in life

Morsi, the current Egyptian president schooled in the USA, in California to be precise, where Hollywood and nudity and all sorts are practiced.
But today, he is an islamic fundamentalist rejoicing at the bombing of the American embassy i Libya and killing of Americans by fellow fundamentalists
How much if the western lifestyle did he imbibe?

Late Gadaffi's son also has a PhD from the UK, but he was involved in oppressing his people, contrary to western values.
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by Germannig: 5:20pm On Sep 25, 2012
Ibrahim Idris Adejo (born 1944) is a Nigerian businessman who was elected Governor of Kogi State in Nigeria in April 2003 and reelected in April 2007. He is a member of the ruling People's Democratic Party (PDP).[1] Ibrahim Idris was replaced as governor by his brother-in-law Captain Idris Wada, who won an election in December 2011 and took office in January 2012.[2]

Ibrahim Idris was born in 1949 at Icheke town in Omala Local Government Area of Kogi State. He started his primary education in 1954 in Onitsha, Anambra State. In 1962, he moved to Kano, where he completed his primary education in 1963. He moved to Buguma in Rivers State where he enrolled in King’s Commercial College in 1964.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibrahim_Idris
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by sheyguy: 5:30pm On Sep 25, 2012
Germannig:
You this fool. The topic compared SE leaders with N and SW leaders, so every region mentioned in on the table
I can see your av resorted to abuse, but i will watch and let it slide for the sake of a sane discussion . . .
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by nduchucks: 5:31pm On Sep 25, 2012
In case you haven't noticed, all attempts to turn this thread into a tribal war and all ad hominem attacks on ndu_chucks have and will be ignored.

If you can't focus on the topic, get lost.

@ekt_bear, show me a post where I self-identified as a Muslim Northerner or a member of any other religious group. You are not known to be a liar, don't start now.
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by Katsumoto: 5:31pm On Sep 25, 2012
Germannig: Actually where you were born and/or raised may have little or no bearing with what you turn out to be later on in life

Morsi, the current Egyptian president schooled in the USA, in California to be precise, where Hollywood and nudity and all sorts are practiced.
But today, he is an islamic fundamentalist rejoicing at the bombing of the American embassy i Libya and killing of Americans by fellow fundamentalists
How much if the western lifestyle did he imbibe?

Late Gadaffi's son also has a PhD from the UK, but he was involved in oppressing his people, contrary to western values.

You still miss a point. Living in a place doesn't necessarily mean you have to accept the values of a such a place. But regardless of whether you are influenced or not, one thing is certain - You will have more than one perspective and learn to appreciate other values where they are sensible. Meaning that the best practices can not be found in any one place.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” - Aristotle
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by ektbear: 5:36pm On Sep 25, 2012
Imagine, a man from a part of Nigeria ravaged by Boko Haram, illiteracy, terrible leadership and governance offering advice to someone else.

Wonders will never cease.

In any case, who wants advice from such a person? Will Greece then be offering economic advice to Germany?

2 Likes

Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by Germannig: 5:36pm On Sep 25, 2012
Katsumoto:

You still miss a point. Living in a place doesn't necessarily mean you have to accept the values of a such a place. But regardless of whether you are influenced or not, one thing is certain - You will have more than one perspective and learn to appreciate other values where they are sensible. Meaning that the best practices can not be found in any one place.

The values learned can be positive or negative. I have already addressed this point; which you should have seen did you read previous posts.

Those Ibos born outside Igboland could have learned both good and bad or even nothing, from their hosts. not so?

Nzeogwu is a good example. He learned rebellion against authorities from the North where he was born and raised, if we go by the OP's game.
Can we know where Ojukwu learned how to protect his people from their enemies seeing that he was born in the North, rasied in the East and West and in the UK, and started full adult working life in the East
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by Afam4eva(m): 5:37pm On Sep 25, 2012
Katsumoto:

But his citation of the Egyptian president and Ghadaffi's son proves the opposite.
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by Germannig: 5:42pm On Sep 25, 2012
Katsumoto:

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” - Aristotle

Which means exactly that you can be born and raised in a place and not influenced by the culture of the place

Based on Zik and Ojukwu's actions in life: e.g. desire for education and emancipation of their people from feudalism, it is clear that they did not imbibe northern cultures (where they were born) which are the opposite of western education and freedom for the masses.

Same also for Okorocha who is giving scholarships to the poor all over Nigeria, something no northerner, not even Dangote, does.
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by Katsumoto: 5:49pm On Sep 25, 2012
Germannig:

The values learned can be positive or negative. I have already addressed this point; which you should have seen did you read previous posts.

Those Ibos born outside Igboland could have learned both good and bad or even nothing, from their hosts. not so?

Nzeogwu is a good example. He learned rebellion against authorities from the North where he was born and raised, if we go by the OP's game.
Can we know where Ojukwu learned how to protect his people from their enemies seeing that he was born in the North, rasied in the East and West and in the UK, and started full adult working life in the East

afam4eva:
But his citation of the Egyptian president and Ghadaffi's son proves the opposite.

Proves opposite in what way?

My point is not about whether people learn good or bad behavior from their hosts. My point is clearly about about developing a different perspective. In the corporate world, sometimes managers are sent from one place to another simply to learn and not because capable managers can not be found in those places. To rise in multinational corporations, you are expected to have served in many countries. How do you learn to understand the side and compromise when you have never left your village/state/country?

In a complex country like Nigeria, that should be a minimum for office holders. That requirement becomes more important as the world becomes more globalized. I will even stretch it to state, that international living experience should be a must for office in Nigeria since Nigerian political leaders contribution to globalization is shopping.
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by kmariko: 6:03pm On Sep 25, 2012
The basic questions one need to ask the writer is this..

1. can you name 10 successfull "Igbo" leaders. As gleaned from their history they the Igbos does not even recognise a leader.. To them a leader is one who feeds, clothes, shelters and educates his family.
2. What qualities do you think these "igbo leaders " need to have, that they lack in the East or the South East.
3. Why are those 'Leadership" qualities if any are lacking in the East or South east and is available elsewhere.
4. Are these qualities universal or in short supply , if so where is it found and practiced in abundance.
5. There are presumably over 50 million Ibos does that mean that they all have the same exact talent and qualifications in life in other words they are all Zombies once bred in the east and South East.
6. Last I checked, Ojukwu schooled in England- Sandhurst, Lived in Lagos,East and Worked in the Northern region after coming back from England, so where exactly did his leadership qualities come from.
7.On Rochas how come he is an example when his "leadership" mettle has not been vetted by the "igbo Zombies" - the ones still in the so-called Igbo lands.
8. Were there any "leaders" of the Ibos before the aforementioned two. If there were please can we know their resumes.
9. Lastly I wonder why your idea of leadership is based on one who works for government. e.g. Is Bill gates a leader, Is Akio Morita a leader, Is Hyundai a leader, Is Michael Jackson a leader, . Is Wole Soyinka a leader.

Thanks for your write up because it does beg the question on what we the young ones see as leadership in out fragile country and how it conforms to our environmental understanding on how the world works. At least though the Igbos are here used as an example, it is a global problem. -- As one can see that most opposition leaders in any country see others has having poor leadership until they get into government.

Keep the conversation going
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by nduchucks: 7:00pm On Sep 25, 2012
^^^ Its OK to focus on political leadership since we are in the Politics section.
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by Germannig: 7:12pm On Sep 25, 2012
ndu_chucks: ^^^ Its OK to focus on political leadership since we are in the Politics section.

Hey! Rochas was not born in the North and did not live all his life in the North
He had at least 14 years of his earliest life in Alaigbo

He does not behave like the northern leaders otherwise he would not be giving scholarships to the poor.
Re: Ndigbo Must Look Northward,Westward, Diaspora For The Next Crop Of Igbo Leaders by Dede1(m): 8:36pm On Sep 25, 2012
The funniest aspect of this thread is the likelihood of ndu_chucks arrogating to him\herself the duty to pronounce leadership for Ndigbo. I have never agreed with Richard Akinjide on anything except when he argued that a party leader or president of Nigeria or governor of a state does not automatically become the leader of ethnic group that produces such a person. Based on the thesis, I think ndu_chucks is a confused entity on this subject matter.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Was Awo Guilty Of War Crimes? / APC Primaries: Vote Counting Just Commenced / Meet The Five Nigeria Ex-Presidents Who Died While In Office

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.