Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,436 members, 7,830,200 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:40 PM

UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? (26432 Views)

Poll: UK or US?

United Kingdom: 29% (45 votes)
United States: 70% (109 votes)
This poll has ended

US Family Preference Visa Waiters Lounge / Are Medical Doctors Given Any Preference, As Regards UK Tourist Visa's? / Canada or Uk which one is your preference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Hotstepper(f): 7:29pm On May 29, 2006
loverboy, i have been 2 both places tongue and as u said, sum like it big and loud and sum small and reserved kiss
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Akolawole(m): 7:56pm On May 29, 2006
desiree:

It's obvious that you have only been to the most deprived areas in London. Where I live i don't see anybody queuing for internet access. Just represent your endz, that is what this thread is about.

Where do you live in UK?

kent or London?

Tell me exactly, any library where people don't queue for Internet acess and computer acess?
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by OldGlory1(m): 8:21pm On May 29, 2006
The Apple store in Oxford circus has loads of people trying to access the internet.

@Loverbwoy

What does the poll say? There are many Suburbs and small cities, and small towns that are nice and quiet. Most people Live in suburbs, but work in the cities. America is not all noisy and populated. You have many parks,bike trails,hiking paths,basketball courts, soccer fields ETC. You can choose to live in NewYork city, or you can live in Jersey and commute to work.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Akolawole(m): 9:23pm On May 29, 2006
Old Glory:

The Apple store in Oxford circus has loads of people trying to access the internet.

Exactly!

And many other places.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by desiree(f): 9:31pm On May 29, 2006
Akolawole:

Exactly!

And many other places.

Yeah rite, coming from someone that once said 90% of ppl don't own a computer with Internet access.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Akolawole(m): 10:21pm On May 29, 2006
@Desiree

http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/Services/LeisureCulture/Libraries/ComputersLibraries.htm

Visit Hackney, Ilford, Stratford libraries.

Visit so many Internet cafes in London.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by desiree(f): 10:27pm On May 29, 2006
@Akolawole

That still does not prove anything; It doesn't say the statistics of people waiting to use the libraries internet connection.
I suggest next time you are in the UK go to Reading, Surrey, Essex and Kent for you to be able to make an unbiased observation.Don’t limit your scrutiny to just the meagre neighbourhoods.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Akolawole(m): 12:44am On May 30, 2006
@Desiree

I have been to all those places except Reading.

Essex starts from Ilford to Romford then to as far as Grays.

Surrey include Thorton Heath, Croydon etc

Kent(Your own county),my cousin heads a division in one of those council there.

Lets be open to others. I beg.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by LoverBwoy(m): 4:15am On May 30, 2006

lipsrsealed when i go into any apple store i will use their internet-acess Nairaland from there even, i'm i using it because i dnt have access at home? Nahhh

come on akolawale, u must know the most  deprived people in the U.K!!

i dnt know what your beef with the U.k or abroad is but havin a discussion with u is just like goin round and round

people queing up in the library? damn!! i just dnt know what to say
internet prices starts from about £9.99!!!
your making sky television seem like Luxury
NEXT- people don't go their except for sales? a please just like sayin people don't go to lagos island, thats the first shop u go to when u need a shirt or tie!!

I'll leave u to your deranged comments sha,  lipsrsealed

whats the point of havin a comp with no internet connections ahhh

you're spoiling this thread abeg

So MR AKOLAWALE: U.K OR USA: YOUR PREFERNECE AND WHY? grin grin grin
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by jgirl3: 7:07am On May 30, 2006
I think there is a lot of fun in UK but I actually prefer US. Unlike U.K though - the part where i live doesn't have as good transportation system. But all the same - it's waaaay better to live in U.S. and better to visit the U.K.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Akolawole(m): 8:51am On May 30, 2006
@LoverBwouy

It was not my intention to go round and round.

My comment is in response to one posted by[b] KWIKBABE[/b]. Please read thus :

If you do not have money in the UK you can still live a decent life, your children can still have a decent education, you can still wear high street brands etc.
There is the option of income support, job seekers allowance, working tax credits and soo many other schemes to help you with living costs, you can also get help towards your council tax and even have part of your housing rent paid for you. So therefore our government is alsways there to help. Nobody lacks in that sense.

However if you do not want to live a substandard life, and be classed as working class, middle class etc, I suggest that the US is the best place to make money fast. You have all heard of the rags to riches stories of soo many clelebrities. For some reason it seems to be harder in te UK to make your millions.

L.B

You live in UK, Is this a true reflection of what is on ground in UK?
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Akolawole(m): 8:54am On May 30, 2006
@LoverBwouy

I am not making Sky television a Luxury but not every home do have itand they considererd it as expensive.

For internet and computer acess, you know the true facts. Dont you?
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by OldGlory1(m): 11:14am On May 30, 2006
I am spinning.What are you say Kola?What facts? Please stick to the sports thread and do not derail this thread. US or UK ? Choose and move on!
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by LoverBwoy(m): 12:08pm On May 30, 2006
Mr akolawale
If you do not have money in the UK you can still live a decent life, your children can still have a decent education, you can still wear high street brands etc.
There is the option of income support, job seekers allowance, working tax credits and soo many other schemes to help you with living costs, you can also get help towards your council tax and even have part of your housing rent paid for you. So therefore our government is alsways there to help. Nobody lacks in that sense.

that's true as LONG AS UR A LEGAL RESIDENT OF THE COUNTRY though not so straight forward but those are real options for those financial difficulties

i don't support living on benefits though, if u can work please work

i am sorry Abroad didnt tickle your fancy  grin

See u at the sports section grin, can u help out at the business section?
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Akolawole(m): 1:01pm On May 30, 2006
@EveryOne

I have not been to United States but with Old Glory's comment on Yankee, i think i will choose US but if i have to revisit the kind of life they live in New Orleans, i will prefer to stay in a village in Somalia.

@L.B

Continue to support lies.

If you are jobless and a Britissh/EEC citizens or holders of Indefinite Stay, then you can claim those benefits.

But if you are not on PRIORITY list, you will never get any houses form the council.

If you are working legally, you can never get council tax rebate or part of your housing paid by the government.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by OldGlory1(m): 1:09pm On May 30, 2006
@Lowerbwoy

What is he calling you out for? Do you know Kola from back in the days? It seems he is competing with you for something!

@Kola
Did Loverbwoy steal your girl? Please try and Visit the US one day please, i am sure you will come with a pen and paper to take notes!!!!!! It seems like you hate the UK too. Hey something went wrong huh? I hate it there too! And those Arabs, Yuck!
But please go back to football on the sports page and leave us here alone!
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by LoverBwoy(m): 1:11pm On May 30, 2006
Mr akolawale , u just made another round one   grin

If you are jobless and a Britissh/EEC citizens or holders of Indefinite Stay, then you can claim those benefits.
kiwibabe
If you do not have money in the UK you can still live a decent life,
Loverbwoy
that's true as LONG AS UR A LEGAL RESIDENT OF THE COUNTRY though not so straight forward but those are real options for those with financial difficulties  

Can u see it now?  wink
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by LoverBwoy(m): 1:18pm On May 30, 2006
Old Glory i dnt know but i can say its affecting me personally!! lol

i was just trying to make sense of it since i woke up  i can say anything about the u.k without mr AK bashin my head

Mr Akolawole i think you're due a Holiday  > U.S.A u can't start a blog about that too grin Bon Voyage  grin
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Akolawole(m): 1:24pm On May 30, 2006
@LoverBwouy & OldGlory

May be , i am too local for your liking.

1) I wonder why people  go to High Street shops like that to waste money. I do shop in NEXT and HARRODS but during their Sales(Promotion).

2) I intend to apply for Bush's visa last April, i have gathered documents but cancel my plan when i remember the way they maltreat people in that their embassy. You can hardly goes to court to reverse their decision if refused. I dont really like them.

3) I am still active in Sports but few new guys with Childish minds had compelled good people to leave the forum. Its not that exciting NOW.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Akolawole(m): 1:29pm On May 30, 2006
@LoverB

I tire for you.

Report the good and the bad of UK Please.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by LoverBwoy(m): 1:36pm On May 30, 2006
if ur too local then im very bush grin

will u be so kind in opening a topic, listing all the things u dislike about U.K or "Abroad"

in the u.k u cant borrow salt from ur neighbours, -bad
in the u.k when a thief is being chased by police i just move out of the way grin not only me though thats how the people are very strange wink
in the u.k u almost dont have inheritance like naija- u cant ride ur momma n pappas car, they'll tell u to getyarr own grin
no drivers
very small houses- i dnt know why they cant build big mansions angry i mean they can make everybodys house like Shaq's

i am goin to get some lenses i'll be back soon

Do u play football at all mr Ak? or play sports u know relieve some tension n stress
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Akolawole(m): 1:51pm On May 30, 2006
@LB

Now, you are my man but why small characters. Big size please.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by jgirl3: 2:04pm On May 30, 2006
Akolawole:

@EveryOne

I have not been to United States but with Old Glory's comment on Yankee, i think i will choose US but if i have to revisit the kind of life they live in New Orleans, i will prefer to stay in a village in Somalia.

Okay - now you just got personal - New Orleans is not that bad, it is wayyyyyyyyy better than somalia, I know that cos i have gone there after the hurricane. Their lives are pretty back to normal and they are making progress.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by ikilima(f): 8:53pm On May 30, 2006
probably U.s cause my friend told me u.k are
so prejudice. tongue
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by kiwibabe(f): 9:11pm On May 30, 2006
ikilima:

probably U.s cause my friend told me u.k are
so prejudice. tongue

and what about america!!!!!
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by sage(m): 10:16pm On May 30, 2006
I dont know about people who stand in line 4 internet access in the U.K. That seems weird to me.

But @ Kola y would people stand in line when they can get a complete computer set 4 less than $500 and high speed broadband internet access for about $20 a month. (at least in the U.S) here. Most of the Nigerian students here in the U.S own P.C and LapTops, even the new MAC which is almost 200,000 naira, something that is an impossibility for 99% of Nigerian students in Nigeria

Well i dont know about the U.K but computers are well within the reach of the poor here(some sets go 4 $300) and about $20 a month 4 high speed or $10 for dial up is well within the reach of anybody that needs a computer, unlike Nigeria, where ur yearly salary might not get u a computer.

Yeah sorry 4 digressing but that internet issue really caught me.

The U.S 4 me all the way. Men i am loving this country. I will spend sometime in the U.K though in the nearest future.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Akolawole(m): 11:29pm On May 30, 2006
sage:

I don't know about people who stand in line 4 internet access in the U.K. That seems weird to me.

But @ Kola y would people stand in line when they can get a complete computer set 4 less than $500 and high speed broadband internet access for about $20 a month. (at least in the U.S) here. Most of the Nigerian students here in the U.S own P.C and LapTops, even the new MAC which is almost 200,000 naira, something that is an impossibility for 99% of Nigerian students in Nigeria

Well i don't know about the U.K but computers are well within the reach of the poor here(some sets go 4 $300) and about $20 a month 4 high speed or $10 for dial up is well within the reach of anybody that needs a computer, unlike Nigeria, where your yearly salary might not get u a computer.

Yeah sorry 4 digressing but that internet issue really caught me.

The U.S 4 me all the way. Men i am loving this country. I will spend sometime in the U.K though in the nearest future.

Computer are within reach of many people yet the so called people in the west uses CREDIT CARD to patch up their life[Another topic soon]

99% of Nigerians may not own a computer but 99% of the houses in Nigeria are owned OUTRIGHTLY.

They don't need to worry about stupid monthly mortgage for 25 to 40 years.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by mochafella(m): 11:34pm On May 30, 2006
@Akolawole and Sage

I see say Akolawole and Sage don carry their Naija versus Yankee and Jand discussion reach here. We no want fight ooo. angry angry
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by OldGlory1(m): 12:16am On May 31, 2006
Amen!

@Kola

What happened to the Sports section and you? Have you come here to spoil things as u normally do? Thank God you changed your mind on the US visa thing, i would have gone to jail because of you.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by Akolawole(m): 12:34am On May 31, 2006
mochafella:

@Akolawole and Sage

I see say Akolawole and Sage don carry their Naija versus Yankee and Jand discussion reach here. We no want fight ooo. angry angry

The Culprit is Sage.

He started this Naija/West thing here. I wonder for him.

@ OldGlory

I will still come to that your America, visit you, pack your Bag and Baggages and personally DEPORT you back to Nigeria irrespective of your status in Yankee. grin
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by OldGlory1(m): 2:58am On May 31, 2006
Kola

Your reputation for hating on the west is clear. Sage only clarified your Internet statement. By the way where did you get the 95% figure from? You are off the chain. I pray they give you a Visa to the moon.

@Loverbwoy

Did Kola get deported from the UK? Why is he so negative, and has this "dooms day" attitude about the UK.
Re: UK Or US: Your Preference And Why? by LoverBwoy(m): 3:33am On May 31, 2006
Old Glory i don't really know myself  undecided

but funny enough i have been thinking(can u see what this man is making me do  shocked)

maybe
He went to the U.K on a 6months visiting Visa with the hope of getting a good job(manager) with his certificate(s) and experience from Nigeria, upon getting to the U.K , it was quite cold and everyone seem to be busy working and can't really assist him properly. He visited some places in and out of london even got a schengen visa went to Paris  undecided. Still no Big Man job- visited the libraries queued up for the internet as there are just too many school kids playing games and watching Wrestling n Goals scored by Thierry Henry wink
the whole 6months was coming to an end did lots of research about the socio-economics of the U.K, listened to lots of Nigerians in peckham esp those without papers how they whinged and moaned about working working and working to get money no time to do owambe or even went to some owambe n was surprised how there were sooooo many nigerians esp those that were moaning about the weather n too much work

Went back to nigeria with loads of presents for the whole family including that young sister down the road  wink  cool

Ahh i just don't know only Mr Kola can tell us the ko ko (the main the main)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

See The Rot At The Lagos, Ebute-Metta Railway Station - Photos / Taxify Introduces Comfort Ride In Abuja / Nigerian Man Narrates His Ordeal After Wife Went Into Labour At Toronto Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.