Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:50 PM

Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America - Travel (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America (176604 Views)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / What Stops Nigeria From Having A Diversity Visa Lottery Program? / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (88) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by calculusx(m): 10:53pm On Jan 22, 2013
I Hate 9ja:
haaaaa feeling u bro........Las Vegas..

No time wasting....lol Need answers to my request plzzzzz
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by loconzo00: 7:16am On Jan 23, 2013
Ibracadabra: hello guys...

I just passed my written test thanks to the Drivers License online link I got on this forum. SO thanks again..

Unfortunately; because I don't have my Nigerian drivers license, I'm going to have to wait for 3 months to get the main license. I could only get a permit. So; if you are planning on moving over; please get a license cos it will make the process a lot easier and quicker for u.. Learn from my mistake...

God bless y'all

Kindly lets know if this means its easier to obtain US Drivers License after theory test if one has a Nigerian Drivers license with him. If so is it the normal Nigerian Drivers license or the International Drivers license ?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by loconzo00: 7:28am On Jan 23, 2013
alutaa: For those that are interested, please, google 'EPIC'. EPIC is a software use for healthcare EMR (Electronic medical record).
Although i am not in that field, i know people that did the training (the training is still an in-house training meaning that only a company can send you for the training but, there are few Nigerians out there that are training people on the course) and all the people that i knew that did the training are really comfortable with their life now with a good job or contract job.

Another area that people can look into is IT QA area. Its a good starter area for new people in the State. Rates might not be all that great ($30 -$70) but its a good starting point. If you are in Michigan, i learnt that there was a Redeem church that organised training for people late last year. That can be a good starting point to start making enquiries

For those in Texas and environ, Safety engineering is another good area to focus on. I have a friend that came to the State 2 years ago and did certification in these area and he is doing very well now.

Another good area to focus on is IT. I started my IT career when i came to the State 2 years ago. What i always tell people is that if you can create a facebook account and Twitter account by yourself, you can do IT then. The Indians are not guru or more brilliant than we Nigerians. But the difference is that an Indian focus on IT (which is doing the same thing the same way everyday) while a typical Nigerian will become a Nurse or Nursing assistance immediately they moved to the State).

If you are interested in SAP (Business Intelligence and Business warehousing), let me know. I might be able to use my 2 years experince to guild you in the right way.

But, whatever certificate you are pursuing, its good to have a side job that can pay your bills at the same time. The goal is never to loose sight of your goal or allow the side job become your main focus in the State. Most of my friends and i entered USA at the same time and we all met at Warehouse where we all work as a laborer. But, the laboring job was not our main focus in life despite the job paying about $1700 per month.After working for 4-7 months, everyone of us got a better job in different fields. Unfortunately, there are people with citizenship or green card still working at the warehouse for more than 2+ years. Its not that i am better or we are better but its because we dont want to settle for less in the State.

What i am trying to convey is that we should never loose focus of our aim in the State. You will definitely meet people that will discourage you and tell you that US is a difficult country and that things are hard. Never you believe that.

The most important things is to talk and try to help as many people as possible. He that give will never lack in life.

Most people don't like to talk about their work in US. Personally, i believed that its only a small minded person that will behave this way. We are living in a fast paced information world. What you know today might be an outdated info tomorrow. How will you know the latest tech new or info if you dont talk about what you do or share information. You will definitely meet a lot of Nigerians like this. Just move on and leave them to their outdated ideas. When u are making your millions or six figures, they will be the one to seek you out asking and volunteering info for you.

Thanks for the information. I will certainly be in touch with you as soon as i obtain my visa.

1 Like

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by yasuleiman(m): 12:59pm On Jan 23, 2013
Shawls:
GET A LIFE!!!!!
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jan 23, 2013
calculusx:

No time wasting....lol Need answers to my request plzzzzz
u should be able to connect las vegas tru newyork......or better still make ur research tru British airways or lufthansa...
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by loconzo00: 7:48pm On Jan 23, 2013
Ibracadabra: hello guys...

I just passed my written test thanks to the Drivers License online link I got on this forum. SO thanks again..

Unfortunately; because I don't have my Nigerian drivers license, I'm going to have to wait for 3 months to get the main license. I could only get a permit. So; if you are planning on moving over; please get a license cos it will make the process a lot easier and quicker for u.. Learn from my mistake...

God bless y'all

@IBRACADABRA, ADESOJIADEREMI
Talking of Nigerian Drivers' License.
Do you mean International Drivers' License or the normal one ?
Please which one is required?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by tosrich(m): 3:02am On Jan 24, 2013
loconzo00:

Its the International drivers license, though its not like a normal plastic ID card..... I also got it before I left naija and am still using it to drive to work pending when I go for the road test.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 12:37pm On Jan 24, 2013
loconzo00:

I got international driving permit(not licence)and it was rejected in MA, but make sure you get your intl and the regular driver's licence you may still need it when you buy your car in order to reduce auto insurance bill.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by idoo4love: 4:30pm On Jan 24, 2013
adesojiaderemi@:

I got international driving permit(not licence)and it was rejected in MA, but make sure you get your intl and the regular driver's licence you may still need it when you buy your car in order to reduce auto insurance bill.
pls house.... I need ur advice pls... My POE is Chicago and I also have some1 dat is ready to accommodate in NY and infact he's expecting me... I intend to leave next month... Pls what's your advice considering some factors like getting a good job,schooling, getting a cheap apartment, security and all .. Pls ur urgent reply is needed . Thanks and God bless u
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by loconzo00: 6:21pm On Jan 24, 2013
tosrich:

Its the International drivers license, though its not like a normal plastic ID card..... I also got it before I left naija and am still using it to drive to work pending when I go for the road test.

Thanks for your reply.
That must be the one that looks like a pamphlet and expires in a year. Brown in color.

My understanding now is that it can be used to drive with theory test result before the road test in taken.
Hope I'm correct?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by loconzo00: 6:22pm On Jan 24, 2013
adesojiaderemi@:

Thanks a lot.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by idoo4love: 7:03pm On Jan 24, 2013
loconzo00:

Thanks a lot.
House pls I need ur advice ... My POE is Chicago and I also have some1 dat is ready to accommodate in NY and infact he's expecting me... I intend to leave next month... Pls what's your advice considering some factors like getting a good job,schooling, getting a cheap apartment, security and all .. Pls ur urgent reply is needed . Thanks and God bless u
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 24, 2013
idoo4love: pls house.... I need ur advice pls... My POE is Chicago and I also have some1 dat is ready to accommodate in NY and infact he's expecting me... I intend to leave next month... Pls what's your advice considering some factors like getting a good job,schooling, getting a cheap apartment, security and all .. Pls ur urgent reply is needed . Thanks and God bless u
pray to God for directionz.........on where u wld reside that wld favour u and ur ways wld prosper.........and not bcoz some one lives there......advice
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 12:50am On Jan 25, 2013
idoo4love: pls house.... I need ur advice pls... My POE is Chicago and I also have some1 dat is ready to accommodate in NY and infact he's expecting me... I intend to leave next month... Pls what's your advice considering some factors like getting a good job,schooling, getting a cheap apartment, security and all .. Pls ur urgent reply is needed . Thanks and God bless u

idoo4love,take one step at a time, you dont need to bother yourself with fair of unknown, get to Chicago, get your Green card,then you can fly to anywhere within America.The most important thing is to pray for God's leading and He will surely order your steps.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by idoo4love: 1:53am On Jan 25, 2013
I Hate 9ja:
pray to God for directionz.........on where u wld reside that wld favour u and ur ways wld prosper.........and not bcoz some one lives there......advice
okay ..thanks and God bless
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by idoo4love: 1:54am On Jan 25, 2013
adesojiaderemi@:

idoo4love,take one step at a time, you dont need to bother yourself with fair of unknown, get to Chicago, get your Green card,then you can fly to anywhere within America.The most important thing is to pray for God's leading and He will surely order your steps.
got that. ..thanks and God bless
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by taiyeshola: 5:31pm On Jan 25, 2013
Whao I dnt knw a thread like dis exist,am so happy to have discover it@temmytanny,jidedon,adesoji and evrybody thanks so much for all the information and guidance given towards d sucess of our interview last month.we did our medicals on d 1st of Nov and we are plannin of traveLlin b4 the end of march,hope d medicals is still valid.Also I want to ask about the cheapest possible flights and airlines to atlanta for those whose POE was Atlanta
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by nkkystel(f): 2:46am On Jan 26, 2013
smiley
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by idoo4love: 3:03am On Jan 26, 2013
nkkystel: @ Adesoji, Temmy, Jejelady and everyone in the house, my husband won the DV lottery and has been scheduled for March interview and we do not have anyone in the States, can this stop him from getting his visa. He played as single and so he going alone. He's got O'Level and works as a baker at the Sweet Sensation Confectionery. Pls what's are his chances of getting the Visa and your advice house base on ;
*not having anybody in the State (leaving the host secction on the form unfilled).
*his education and job level.

Thank you house as I wait for your reply.
He just have to get an address because that's where his green card (GN) will be sent too...like wise his SSN....he can talk to friends, pastors , church members and all....its a must and that can jeopardizes his chances of getting the visa... The bosses should correct me if am wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!! Success
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Leripa(m): 3:16am On Jan 26, 2013
idoo4love: He just have to get an address because that's where his green card (GN) will be sent too...like wise his SSN....he can talk to friends, pastors , church members and all....its a must and that can jeopardizes his chances of getting the visa... The bosses should correct me if am wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!! Success

Absolutely correct.
Secondly, your husband is good to go with his o'level if he has 5 credit passes.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 12:44pm On Jan 26, 2013
nkkystel: @ Adesoji, Temmy, Jejelady and everyone in the house, my husband won the DV lottery and has been scheduled for March interview and we do not have anyone in the States, can this stop him from getting his visa. He played as single and so he going alone. He's got O'Level and works as a baker at the Sweet Sensation Confectionery. Pls what's are his chances of getting the Visa and your advice house base on ;
*not having anybody in the State (leaving the host secction on the form unfilled).
*his education and job level.

Thank you house as I wait for your reply.

Your hubby must find a contact person in US, it is compulsory plus minimum requirement is WAEC/NECO.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by idoo4love: 8:28pm On Jan 26, 2013
adesojiaderemi@:

Your hubby must find a contact person in US, it is compulsory plus minimum requirement is WAEC/NECO.
Hello house.... Pls which 1 is best preferred.. To send my transcripts to WES before leaving Nigeria or to do it when I get to d states.. pls how will I go about it cos I checked their site, registered and still did NOT get it.. I will like to use it for both employment and to further my education... Pls help me out... Thanks and God bless.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by temmytanny(m): 9:14pm On Jan 26, 2013
For those coming to US read this about best places to get job

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-10-best-cities-for-job-seekers-195522601.html

Looking for a new job? You may want to start here. Often, the ability to secure a steady paycheck–and make it last–depends on where you call home.

Researchers at financial literacy website NerdWallet examined the 26 biggest cities in the U.S. to find out which are the most promising hubs for job seekers. They looked at population growth between 2010 and 2011 as an indication of overall business growth, the local unemployment rate, the median income of residents, and the cost of living, which reflects how far your dollar will go.

The result? Austin, Tex., emerged as the best city for job seekers, with explosive population growth and a below average unemployment rate. It also features a low cost of living–renting a two-bedroom apartment, for example, averages just $968 a month.

“If a city is growing quickly, there’s an underlying ripple effect of more companies and a greater need for services,” says Stephanie Wei, VP of Financial Literacy at NerdWallet. “Austin is becoming a tech hub. IBM and Dell are there, and it’s attracting more biotechnology businesses.”

In fact, five of the top 10 cities are located in Texas. Not only does the state generally feature a low cost of living, but Wei says its cities have done a nice job differentiating themselves. Houston, Fort Worth, Dallas and San Antonio are all up-and-coming hubs for niche industries like telecom and bioscience.

Many job seekers believe the biggest city will offer the biggest paychecks. However, Wei cautions that cost of living is an important metric that many undervalue. Living in New York, for example, costs more than twice as much as the national average, so paychecks get eaten up by rent bills. “At the end of the day, what really matters is your net paycheck,” she says. “You can’t assume the biggest city is the best.”

NerdWallet’s top-10 list, with median two-bedroom apartment rent included for reference:

No. 1: Austin, TX
Population Growth: 3.8%
Unemployment Rate: 6.2%
Median Income: $31,170
Median Rent: $968

No. 2: Washington, DC
Population Growth: 2.7%
Unemployment Rate: 10.2%
Median Income: $43,993
Median Rent: $1,823

No. 3: San Francisco, CA
Population Growth: 0.9%
Unemployment Rate: 8.6%
Median Income: $46,777
Median Rent: $2,702

No. 4: Denver, CO
Population Growth: 3.3%
Unemployment Rate: 9.1%
Median Income: $32,051
Median Rent: $931

No. 5: Houston, TX
Population Growth: 2.2%
Unemployment Rate: 8.2%
Median Income: $26,849
Median Rent: $1,311

No. 6: Fort Worth, TX
Population Growth: 2.3%
Unemployment Rate: 8.0%
Median Income: $24,270
Median Rent: $980

No. 7: Dallas, TX
Population Growth: 2.1%
Unemployment Rate: 8.5%
Median Income: $27,251
Median Rent: $792

No. 8: Seattle, WA
Population Growth: 2.0%
Unemployment Rate: 7.5%
Median Income: $41,695
Median Rent: $1,417

No. 9: San Antonio, TX
Population Growth: 2.4%
Unemployment Rate: 7.4%
Median Income: $22,333
Median Rent: $823

No. 10: Charlotte, NC
Population Growth: 2.7%
Unemployment Rate: 9.2%
Median Income: $31,667
Median Rent: $790
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by emebeteaderashn(m): 4:15am On Jan 27, 2013
[quote author=temmytanny]thank u for the info temmy,u r really good guy,i have a question for u,i was watching the city list and i observed that in texas u ll need almost 1000 dollars per month for rent,what i want to ask u is that how can i make that kind of money,what jobs ll make me that money,also if u pay that money to a rent u ll probably have to make a lot more for food,clothing,transportatiin and other bills,so how can i make all that money sir? thank u
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by temmytanny(m): 4:34am On Jan 27, 2013
[i][/i][quote author=emebeteaderashn][/quote]the rent fee you see is for middle income earner.there are rents of $450(mini flat)depending on the location.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by gunners4u: 4:42am On Jan 27, 2013
Bros hw many hours is allow to work per day in texas

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (88) (Reply)

Lies Of Nigerians Living In America / Authenticity Of Documents At Ministry Of Foreign Affairs, Abuja / Any Nairalander In Abidjan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.