Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,962 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:02 AM

Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America - Travel (58) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America (176591 Views)

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / What Stops Nigeria From Having A Diversity Visa Lottery Program? / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (88) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by seal777(m): 2:45am On Jun 22, 2013
Quite a while guys, Hope all of una dey feel the American dream?.

I had an experience that was kinda strange to me that i wish to share perhaps it might be of benefit to others.

I got a job ( Having gone through the recruitment stages ) and was asked to report at their recruitment head office where i was referred for medical test.

I got to the medical center but was told i dont have enough hair on me ( They checked everywhere for my body ) to carry out the necessary drug test ( I just had a hair cut and a clean shave a night before ). I was given 2 weeks to grow enough hair and come back for the drug test.

My scheduled training was postponed till i am done with medicals.

I sought the audience of those who have been here but they told me they never heard of such before.

Na wa for this American people o, Make una dey leave una hair grow well well o
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by jidex001(m): 3:20am On Jun 22, 2013
seal777: Quite a while guys, Hope all of una dey feel the American dream?.

I had an experience that was kinda strange to me that i wish to share perhaps it might be of benefit to others.

I got a job ( Having gone through the recruitment stages ) and was asked to report at their recruitment head office where i was referred for medical test.

I got to the medical center but was told i dont have enough hair on me ( They checked everywhere for my body ) to carry out the necessary drug test ( I just had a hair cut and a clean shave a night before ). I was given 2 weeks to grow enough hair and come back for the drug test.

I sought the audience of those who have been here but they told me they never heard of such before.

Very funny..

Me that I just came less than 4days ago. I was told that I am too skinny(lepa).
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 10:46am On Jun 22, 2013

wow! that must be a million dollar job. I am only familiar with urinalysis, but now that people use fake d**k, fake urine,... hair analysis is more specific. It shows if someone has been taking illegal drugs – cocaine, marijuana, amphetamines, or alcohol.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Rolling138: 6:54pm On Jun 22, 2013
missannie:

Rolling_138, This is the USCIS Telsad1-800-375-5283) Just get your Alien Number & reciept Number available. Where do you stay in Houston, cus i live in Houston too. God help me, i've still NOT gotten my GC after 2 months.

Thanks Missannie.
I stay close to Sugarland, we could see someday if you stay close.
Any update on ur issue yet?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by herbiordun11: 8:05pm On Jun 22, 2013
herbiordun11. mr adesoji. thanks soo much. pls sir. on the issue of hubby/wife. (1)can husband stay in new york nd the wife should go nd stay in maryland d 2nd or 3rd day of their entry? (2) what is the cheapest of travel frm new yk to marland. btw train nd road.(3) is their naija over there..(4) is it compulsr... i learn driving b4 cos i don't av enough time anymore.thanks
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by herbiordun11: 10:46pm On Jun 22, 2013
mr jidex001. thanks for what u av been doing for me, i really enjoy dis site. we naija people this shows we love ourself for putting one another true hw to go out all this stuff. it was mr jide001 let me kno abt dis. mr jide. we nd to talk more pls cos i will b come on thursday aftnoon. pls. reach tru my phone or sms my email.thanks
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Remmy488(m): 10:48pm On Jun 22, 2013
1. U can stay in Maryland while ur husband is in New york 3days after ur arrival but
(a) hw would you get ur GC and SSN?
(B) it will affect u pple time 2 settle down and balance cos it is always good 4 couples 2 b 2geda and do things in common dis will make dem 2 get better fast.
2.The cheapest mean of transportatn from NY to MD is by road but dat may take about 4-5hrs depending on d city u re goin in Maryland.
3.Naijas are so much in Maryland ok, it's jus like u re in ur neigbourhood @ hom
4.I will advice u 2 learn driving if u can cos drivng test 4 maryland is not easy and d cost of drivng sku here is high. Goodluck!

herbiordun11: herbiordun11. mr adesoji. thanks soo much. pls sir. on the issue of hubby/wife.
(1)can husband stay in new york nd the wife should go nd stay in maryland d 2nd or 3rd day of their entry? (2) what is the cheapest of travel frm new yk to marland. btw train nd road.(3) is their naija over there..(4) is it compulsr... i learn driving b4 cos i don't av enough time anymore.thanks
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by jidex001(m): 11:07pm On Jun 22, 2013
herbiordun11: mr jidex001. thanks for what u av been doing for me, i really enjoy dis site. we naija people this shows we love ourself for putting one another true hw to go out all this stuff. it was mr jide001 let me kno abt dis. mr jide. we nd to talk more pls cos i will b come on thursday aftnoon. pls. reach tru my phone or sms my email.thanks

You welcome my broda and welcome to america. Thanks to almight God and I still have to give thanks to adesoji, temmy, jidedon, leripa and co. If not for them I won't have being able to put u throu from the day I met you at the embassy. I will mail u now.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by herbiordun11: 12:23am On Jun 23, 2013
mr jidex001 congrat for arrive safely. i will join you guys this wk. mr jide i beg reach me .
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by herbiordun11: 12:38am On Jun 23, 2013
Remmy488: 1. U can stay in Maryland while ur husband is in New york 3days after ur arrival but
(a) hw would you get ur GC and SSN?
(B) it will affect u pple time 2 settle down and balance cos it is always good 4 couples 2 b 2geda and do things in common dis will make dem 2 get better fast.
2.The cheapest mean of transportatn from NY to MD is by road but dat may take about 4-5hrs depending on d city u re goin in Maryland.
3.Naijas are so much in Maryland ok, it's jus like u re in ur neigbourhood @ hom
4.I will advice u 2 learn driving if u can cos drivng test 4 maryland is not easy and d cost of drivng sku here is high. Goodluck!

thanks bro. this is join together. you understand naija now. i pray God should take control all
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 12:42am On Jun 23, 2013
herbiordun11: herbiordun11. mr adesoji. thanks soo much. pls sir. on the issue of hubby/wife. (1)can husband stay in new york nd the wife should go nd stay in maryland d 2nd or 3rd day of their entry? (2) what is the cheapest of travel frm new yk to marland. btw train nd road.(3) is their naija over there..(4) is it compulsr... i learn driving b4 cos i don't av enough time anymore.thanks

bros Abbey once you guys land in US you can stay wherever you like within the state likewise your wife, your SSC can be processed anywhere you choose, but on marital note;it is advisable both of you come together.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by sendtodeji: 2:44am On Jun 23, 2013
Welcome to America to our new immigrants. I pray you find comfort and happiness in your adopted country. This is a society driven by information. The more information you have, the better of you will be. Don't stop asking questions. When asking questions, ask from those who know. Many people make the mistake of assuming that the longer you've been here, the more you will know. I can guarantee you that that is not the case. There are people who have been here for ages who don't know what is happening in their backyard.

Most especially when it comes to choosing or pursuing a career, talk to people who are in the profession you are interested in pursuing. When I got here, I was advised to take up nursing even though I had HND in Computer Science. I was told that IT jobs have been outsourced to Asia. When I met the right people, they pointed me in the right direction. I've had opportunity to interact with people several years after they arrived in this country. When I ask them what they do for a living and what they had qualifications in, I'm always shocked that they were misled. There's a lot of misinformation going around. Don't fall victim to such. The Bible says in Prov. 11:14 "Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety." I beseech thee to seek good counsel.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by jidex001(m): 2:49am On Jun 23, 2013
herbiordun11: mr jidex001 congrat for arrive safely. i will join you guys this wk. mr jide i beg reach me .

I tot u are here now, I will call u tomorrow.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by ruomal(m): 7:10am On Jun 23, 2013
[quote author=seal777][b]WELCOME TO HOUSTON, WELCOME TO AMERICA.

Now i can truly welcome myself to America, having done with ALL my documentation processes.

1. GREEN CARD 30th day ( delivered 21st day but was returned due to incomplete address ).

2. Social Security Card 25th day ( having told to return to SS office after 21 days in US....).

3. Applied for State ID and Drivers License having told to return after 30 days in the US and Scheduled for Behind the Wheel test 28th May at the DPS office( not learners permit as advised by veterans in America who even took a bet with me that I WILL FAIL THE BEHIND THE WHEEL TEST ).

4. Took and pass the Computer test same day i applied for the Drivers license and got my State ID same day ( plastic copy came in the mail after 10 days ).

5. Since i drive very well before i left Naija, I walk around the streets on regular basis and watch drivers observe the various traffic signals and rules, read the traffic handbook and research on the internet using various YOU TUBE VIDEOS available in preparing for the test.

6. 28th May , i was at the DPS office for my Behind the wheel test and I PASSED CLINICALLY ( without attending any driving school or previous behind the wheel training from anyone in America ). I was given a print out copy while i expect the plastic copy in less than 2 weeks.

LESSON 1. I noticed there are too many negative thoughts from those we refer to as " VETERANS " in the US, most especially those who find things very hard / difficult when they arrived the US in their days ( with or without genuine documents ). They tend to limit the extent of how far we can go as new immigrant with " LIMITED OR NO EXPERIENCE " of the American system.

LESSON 2. Not all those who live in America actually knows America as i was shocked in learning that majority of the rules and procedures i read on the internet was very true while majority of the ideas been sold to me here by those who are suppose to know ( 10 - 35 yrs in the American system ) are not only false but lack substance in its entirety.

LESSON 3. Never associate or listen to anyone who rather than encourage you in achieving a mission, discourage you by giving you million reasons why such can not be done. There are too many negativity thoughts in our peoples mind here in America and such are capable of undermining the successes of intelligent, educated and forward looking immigrants who left Naija with the will and mission to succeed in America.

LESSON 4. Survival in America is based on the power of information, which is readily available on the internet. Learn to research very vigorously for information, make calls to information's numbers and get first hand information from the source and not rely on HEAR SAY.

If you are convinced beyond reasonable doubt you can achieve a feat, go ahead and give it a try ( having made necessary preparations and caution taken ), you are better of failing at the first attempt than not trying at all for the fear of failure or result of discouraging tales from those around you.

HUMAN WISDOM IS LIMITED BUT WITH GOD, NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE.

BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE.

Thanx bro,
I really appreciate your effort.
Please, is it true that we immigrant must move with exactly 1500 dollars as BTA?
please help me with this info because I don't have enough on me.

1 Like

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by celinorita(f): 7:34am On Jun 23, 2013
Good morning ALL. Pls I need your advice. My fiance won the DV 2014 visa lottery (ie he is a selectee) as a bachelor. But, we did our traditional wedding in December last year, not yet done the white wedding though! And not planning to do it soon, finance and all.
Well! He filled the online application as a single man but he wants to include me in the selectee's information to be sent to Kentucky as his wife so we can travel together.
I am worried. Will his changed marital status affect his visa outcome?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 9:23am On Jun 23, 2013
[quote author=celinorita] Good morning ALL. Pls I need your advice. My fiance won the DV 2014 visa lottery (ie he is a selectee) as a bachelor. But, we did our traditional wedding in December last year, not yet done the white wedding though! And not planning to do it soon, finance and all.
Well! He filled the online application as a single man but he wants to include me in the selectee's information to be sent to Kentucky as his wife so we can travel together.
I am worried. Will his changed marital status affect his visa outcome?[/qu

There is nothing bad in getting married after wining the dv even if it is just going to regitry, but changing of marital status from single to married without a proper documentatio and enough proof may backfire.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 9:25am On Jun 23, 2013
[quote author=ruomal][/quote]

NO minimum BTA.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by lhasky007: 10:16am On Jun 23, 2013
@sendtodeji tks for ur enlightenment, jst got to knw bout this thread. I n my wife now have our visas n plan to move to d states soon. M interested in IT as u. Pls kindly send me a mail on lanre.lasaki@yahoo.com or lemmie v ur email. I need advice on a career path, IT to b specific. Yu may be of help or if u v a better advice cs as a family man I cnt afford to choose d wrong path. Expectn ur reply soon.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by lhasky007: 10:20am On Jun 23, 2013
sendtodeji: Welcome to America to our new immigrants. I pray you find comfort and happiness in your adopted country. This is a society driven by information. The more information you have, the better of you will be. Don't stop asking questions. When asking questions, ask from those who know. Many people make the mistake of assuming that the longer you've been here, the more you will know. I can guarantee you that that is not the case. There are people who have been here for ages who don't know what is happening in their backyard.

Most especially when it comes to choosing or pursuing a career, talk to people who are in the profession you are interested in pursuing. When I got here, I was advised to take up nursing even though I had HND in Computer Science. I was told that IT jobs have been outsourced to Asia. When I met the right people, they pointed me in the right direction. I've had opportunity to interact with people several years after they arrived in this country. When I ask them what they do for a living and what they had qualifications in, I'm always shocked that they were misled. There's a lot of misinformation going around. Don't fall victim to such. The Bible says in Prov. 11:14 "Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety." I beseech thee to seek good counsel.

Pls love to b ask u questns on career to choose. Msg me on lanre.lasaki@yahoo.com or gv me ur email addy. Tks
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by ruomal(m): 12:56pm On Jun 23, 2013
[quote author=adesojiaderemi@]

NO minimum BTA.

Thanx sir.actually apart from the ticket fee,I don't have any chance of getting other financial aid.What can I quickly do when I get to Indiana(that's where I am going)?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by mogzy(m): 3:11pm On Jun 23, 2013
Hi House, please I would like to have you share your experience with Turkish-airline, emirate and Qatar airlines from Nigeria to the US. I'm looking at one of them for my next one-way trip. going through Istanbul seems to be the shortest route. I also learnt Arik goes to US too.
Thanks
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by pator(m): 8:42pm On Jun 23, 2013
Please I have a question: I have a baby which will be about 2 months old at the time I will be traveling. I want to know if the airline can accept a 2 months old baby to fly.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by sendtodeji: 9:44pm On Jun 23, 2013
seal777: When ever i face some challenges here and quickly call one of my big mentors here in America to lament my plight, He simply reply by saying " AMERICA DREAM NONI !!!". : Meaning, NOTHING GOOD COMES EASY.

Na so e be. Hang in there. From another posting of yours, I can tell that you are smart person. Just keep making your moves and don't let the old-timers discourage you. They told me then that I was moving too fast. Well, the truth is, some of us are like high-speed trains. We are unstoppable. Na naija mentality dey kill most for here. Some don't know what obtains. Some know but they hoard information. Those who hoard information loose because they won't know more. Besides, information plenty for internet. The only problem with that is filtering the genuine ones out.

2 Likes

Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by mogzy(m): 1:08am On Jun 24, 2013

Bro, that's quite a good learning point
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 1:15am On Jun 24, 2013
pator: Please I have a question: I have a baby which will be about 2 months old at the time I will be traveling. I want to know if the airline can accept a 2 months old baby to fly.

Sure, they will accept your baby.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 1:17am On Jun 24, 2013
mogzy: Hi House, please I would like to have you share your experience with Turkish-airline, emirate and Qatar airlines from Nigeria to the US. I'm looking at one of them for my next one-way trip. going through Istanbul seems to be the shortest route. I also learnt Arik goes to US too.
Thanks
Qatar wasnt bad,but prepare for a long journey from Doha to New York (14hrs)
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by mogzy(m): 2:23am On Jun 24, 2013
adesojiaderemi@:

Qatar wasnt bad,but prepare for a long journey from Doha to New York (14hrs)

Thanks Adesoji, those are the cheapest for now and with my destination being Houston, it's more than 16hrs for Qatar and emirate but trying to check out Turkish airline cos it's 13hrs from Istanbul to Houston
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by omooye147: 10:19am On Jun 24, 2013
PLS MY WIFE WON THE DV LOTTERY 2013 AND SHE WON WITH MY SURNAME WHICH SHE PLAYED WITH SINGLE AND WE TWO KIDS ALREADY PLS HOW CAN WE DO ABOUT IT,COS SOME SAY I CAN ONLY FOLLOW THAT THE TWO KIDS CAN NOT PLS HOUSE AM NOT MY SELF PLS ADVISE ME
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by adesojiaderemi(m): 11:07am On Jun 24, 2013
omooye147: PLS MY WIFE WON THE DV LOTTERY 2013 AND SHE WON WITH MY SURNAME WHICH SHE PLAYED WITH SINGLE AND WE TWO KIDS ALREADY PLS HOW CAN WE DO ABOUT IT,COS SOME SAY I CAN ONLY FOLLOW THAT THE TWO KIDS CAN NOT PLS HOUSE AM NOT MY SELF PLS ADVISE ME

Your wife "won with single", did you mean she claimed she is single with two kids or what?
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by seal777(m): 6:41pm On Jun 24, 2013
[quote author=ruomal][/quote]

So people said but i came into this country with exactly $100, the same amount i left naija with.
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jun 24, 2013
seal777:

So people said but i came into this country with exactly $100, the same amount i left naija with.
unbelieveable......love ur hustling spirit
Re: Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America by jidex001(m): 11:30pm On Jun 24, 2013
I was in social security office today to apply in baltimore. I was told to return after the 30th day of my arrival to america. Which will be july 18 and they asked after my GC and I told them I have not got my Gc yet. Pls can anyone talk about my case.

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (88) (Reply)

Lies Of Nigerians Living In America / Authenticity Of Documents At Ministry Of Foreign Affairs, Abuja / Any Nairalander In Abidjan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.