Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,824 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:31 PM

Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. - Politics (49) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. (201651 Views)

The Bad State Of The Hospital Alamieyeseigha Died In (Photo) / See The Beautiful Daughters Of Governor Ajimobi / See The Beautiful And Gallant Nigerian Armed Forces Women...PICTURES (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 12:38pm On Apr 29, 2013
The primary ring leaders of the coup were Majors Nzeogwu, Ademoyega, Ifeajuna, Okafor, Chuk Nwuka, Onwuatuegwu and Obienu. After the initial national euphoria which followed the coup, it was not surprising that the northerners would begin to take a different view of events: the majority of the ring leaders were Ibo in origin, the Northerners had paid the highest price in terms of men and political power, and the entire 'national' operation had been executed on their soil. While Nzeogwu had successfully secured his area of operation in Kaduna, Major Ifeajuna and Capt. Nwobosi failed to secure Lagos and Ibadan.

In the midst of the confusion, and the bungled execution by the coupists, the GOC of the Nigerian army, General Aguiyi Ironsi, intervened and outmaneuvered Major C.K Nzeogwu. Luckily for him, Lieutenant Colonel Ojukwu, Commander of the 5th Battalion in Kano, had been able to seize Kano Airport on behalf of the rallying military. Ironsi later appointed him Military Governor of the Eastern region.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 12:39pm On Apr 29, 2013
With the smell of blood choking our collective nostrils, the remnants of the Balewa government needed little persuasion to hand over the reigns of power to Army Commander-in-Chief, Major-General Ironsi. The new Head of State proceeded quickly to suspend the Constitution, dissolve all legislative bodies, ban political parties, and as an interim measure, formed a Federal Military Government. By January 18, 1966 he had announced the appointment of the Military Governors of all four Regions of the Federation: Lieutenant Colonel C. Odumegwu Ojukwu, East; Lieutenant Colonel F.A Fajuyi West; Lieutenant Colonel D.A. Ejoor, Midwest; Lieutenant Colonel Hassan Katsina, North.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 12:41pm On Apr 29, 2013
Ironsi made several serious political mis-calculations. His handling of the coupists, who after all, had been mutineers, lacked directness, and betrayed insensitivity to the feelings of northern officers, who now felt vulnerable (and resentful). He also seemed to lack a full appreciation of the importance of taking steps to restore the espirit de corps in the military.

However, it was a difficult situation and I did not envy him one bit. There were skirmishes between Northern troops and their Southern counterparts throughout the country. Some five months after the coup, Ironsi announced his intention to institute a Unitary government- another serious mistake.

Predictably, this was misinterpreted by the northern elite as further proof of an Ibo plot to consolidate their hold on national political power. The abrupt termination of the Ironsi regime by a revolution by the 'heirs apparent' to Nigerian power politics should have surprised no one. It was an inevitable end and established later political patterns of Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 12:42pm On Apr 29, 2013
The counter-coup masterminded by the senior northern officers in July 1966 reversed the political pendulum that had swung to the political advantage of the south. It re-established the status quo to domination of political power by the North, which they had held since 1966 and justified through irregular census figures.

The Head of State was abducted in the company of Colonel F.A. Fajuyi, by a group of junior northern officers. (Months later, Major Usman Katsina finally confirmed that his abductors had assassinated him with the Western Governor). Thus began another traumatic period for the military. In Lagos, Kaduna, Ibadan, and Kano and throughout Nigeria (except the eastern region under the command of Lieutenant. Colonel C. Odumegwu Ojukwu), senior Ibo officers were rounded up- often by soldiers under their command and shot.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 12:51pm On Apr 29, 2013
At the time the power leverage changed hands to the northern group, I was at Enugu. The Commanding Officer being Ibo was relieved of his duties and I was ordered to assume them. The tense atmosphere was not helped by the trigger-happy northern soldiers at Enugu who were hell bent on killing Ibos in their homeland. This I prevented with all the persuasive authority at my disposal. Sanity prevailed, but I had to pay with my blood to appease the bloodhounds that were given a 'rousing' welcome by their people on their arrival at Kaduna.

There was a complete blanketing of information to the troops, which generated unprecedented rumor mongering. The chain of command had completely broken down and in thc atmosphere of lawlessness that prevailed at the time, arson, illegal imprisonment, and gross indiscipline by soldiers became the order of the day.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by olaadegoke(m): 4:08pm On Apr 30, 2013
@Naptu2

Very Educative Thread,When are we going to get the rest of the interview
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Mustay(m): 7:54am On May 01, 2013
May 1 was initially recognised as Workers' Day in Nigeria by the late Kano state governor in 1980.

Shehu Shagari later adopted it as a National Holiday on May 1, 1981.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 7:58am On May 01, 2013
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 7:58am On May 01, 2013
olaadegoke: @Naptu2

Very Educative Thread,When are we going to get the rest of the interview

Thank you very much. Hopefully I'll continue today.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by tarryT(m): 11:12am On May 01, 2013
@Naptu... Am still following.. Thanks.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 10:14am On May 13, 2013
Afam4eva:
What a joke! Is it the same man that said that Igbos must be exterminated? Some Igbo people sure don't know their history.
I am a student of life and history, I do not dwell in hear say besides this is one great soldier we are talking about.

The tense atmosphere was not helped by the
trigger-happy northern soldiers at Enugu who
were hell bent on killing Ibos in their homeland.
This I prevented with all the persuasive
authority at my disposal... Benjamin adekunle
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 10:17am On May 13, 2013
@Naptu2 thanks for the interview by Benjamin adekunle. He is truly a great soldier but is he still alive and there is this story that he was demoted by the army. pls shed more light
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by solomon111(m): 1:11pm On May 19, 2013
Obiagelli:
I am a student of life and history, I do not dwell in hear say besides this is one great soldier we are talking about.

The tense atmosphere was not helped by the
trigger-happy northern soldiers at Enugu who
were hell bent on killing Ibos in their homeland.
This I prevented with all the persuasive
authority at my disposal... Benjamin adekunle
Adolf hitler was also a great soldier and master tactician,but the jews will never forgive him for the massacre of six million of them.
Your attitude is disgusting,and a spit on the face of dead biafran heroes.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 1:26pm On May 19, 2013
One of the great things about democracy is that each person is free to hold his/her own opinion. We can't all agree and sometimes we have to agree to disagree (one man's meat is another man's poison).

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by druid06(m): 2:27pm On Jun 02, 2013
I'm liking this thread.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by debetmx(m): 2:57pm On Jun 28, 2013
naptu2: One of the great things about democracy is that each person is free to hold his/her own opinion. We can't all agree and sometimes we have to agree to disagree (one man's meat is another man's poison).

Are you the editor of the monthly newspaper called historical ........ Cant remember the other name now
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 3:05pm On Jun 28, 2013
debetmx:

Are you the editor of the monthly newspaper called historical ........ Cant remember the other name now

No, I'm not.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by debetmx(m): 8:27pm On Jul 03, 2013
@ naptu, kindly revive this thread with new stories pls. God bless you
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jul 09, 2013
WOW! shocked shocked cheesy
@naptu2; thanks! smiley
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by babsjnr(m): 11:18pm On Jul 09, 2013
naptu2: Lieutenant General Donaldson Oladipo Diya (Chief of General Staff)

puzzy
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 3:10am On Jul 10, 2013
N_girl: WOW! shocked shocked cheesy
@naptu2; thanks! smiley

Thank you smiley
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 3:12am On Jul 10, 2013
debetmx: @ naptu, kindly revive this thread with new stories pls. God bless you

Thanks. I still have a lot more to post, but I'm constrained by time.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 10:56am On Jul 21, 2013
Wow! It seems someone has just discovered this thread and is rapidly copying the pictures from this thread and posting them on NNP 60-80, even though the pictures violate the rules of the group.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by grafikii: 12:35pm On Jul 23, 2013
naptu2: Wow! It seems someone has just discovered this thread and is rapidly copying the pictures from this thread and posting them on NNP 60-80, even though the pictures violate the rules of the group.
I hope they acknowledged you, if they didn't, that's just sad.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 12:58pm On Jul 23, 2013
grafikii:
I hope they acknowledged you, if they didn't, that's just sad.

The admins deleted her pictures, reposted one of the pictures and provided a link to this thread.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by DuduNegro: 1:19pm On Jul 23, 2013
naptu2:

The admins deleted her pictures, reposted one of the pictures and provided a link to this thread.

Good response from that admin.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by shopyboy(m): 6:30pm On Aug 27, 2013
WOW. I lOVE this post, a book or an encyclopedia has to be made from this, spent 3hrs reading this, lovely lovely. Wish other parts of Nigeria showed up from the archives tho
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 6:38pm On Aug 27, 2013
shopyboy: WOW. I lOVE this post, a book or an encyclopedia has to be made from this, spent 3hrs reading this, lovely lovely. Wish other parts of Nigeria showed up from the archives tho

Thank you.
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by naptu2: 10:33am On Oct 01, 2013
Happy independence day everybody!

Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Madawaki01(m): 11:32pm On Oct 01, 2013
naptu2: Happy independence day everybody!
come continue oo
Re: Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. by Stephenkayode: 6:02am On Aug 16, 2014
Please, Does anyone knows why Odutola tyres, Adebowale electronics, Vista bakery in Ibadan and stationery stores discontinued after the death of the founders. these were indeed great indigenous businesses when the owners were alive.

(1) (2) (3) ... (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (Reply)

2019 Presidential Election Results Announcement By Mahmood Yakubu, INEC Chairman / List Of Buhari's 36 Ministers And Their Portfolios / Jega To Announce Presidential Election Results: Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.