Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,853 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:18 PM

Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha (13278 Views)

Gumsu Sani-Abacha Visits Aisha Buhari In Aso Rock, Gets A Peck From Zahra (Pics) / Checkout Sani Abacha's Signature (snapshot) / How Sani Abacha Died…AL Mustapha. NOT BY APPLE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Abagworo(m): 6:34pm On Oct 02, 2012
dayokanu:

Now the bigot in you is coming out.

Show us where NADECO was the first to plant bombs in Nigeria. Like NADECO was the one who bombed Dele Giwa.

NADECO was the one who killed Saro Wiwa, Nadeco kill Shehu Musa Yar Adua, NADECO killed Alfred rewane, NADECO killed Kudirat, Bagauda Kaltho, NADECO planned to kill Ibru

Its the Mgbati people that lied on Abacha for doing this He did not kill anyone even though Sgt Rogers, Frank Omenka, DMI Sabo all confessed to the crime

Why would someone spare people that want to cause crisis in his country? I wonder how biased some people can be. As long as Shagari did not complete his tenure there shouldn't have been any election till now because the legitimate thing to do was to install him back and let him finish his term in office. That means June 12 election was illegal too. Abacha did not annul June 12 but NADECO and other terrorist media mafia of that time made people forget IBB was the actual culprit.

The only major blow to Abacha was the killing of Saro Wiwa though justified from a point of view of the murdered Ogoni Chiefs as their children recently submitted.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/06/14/the-forgotten-four/

I am totally opposed to capital punishment and have always regretted Abacha’s decision to execute Ken for inciting the above murders. But I also held my uncles, Edward, Albert, Sam and Theophilus in enormous esteem and have spent many sleepless nights angrily recalling Ken’s failure to nip in the bud, before it was too late, the homicidal aggression his acolytes displayed towards his political “enemies”. A road has been named after Ken. Awards have been bestowed on Ken. Memorial rallies are held in Ken’s honour. Flattering books have been written about Ken. It is even rumoured that Ken will soon star, posthumously, in a Hollywood movie.

But who remembers the Forgotten Four or gives a damn about their shameful tragic fates? Did you know that their butchered bodies were never recovered? Are you aware that their weeping relatives buried empty coffins at their funerals?

The Forgotten Four are rarely mentioned when Ken’s legacy is being enthusiastically discussed. Even when their existences and demises are acknowledged, most commentators tend to be partisan and to hint, insultingly, that they were either irrelevant nonentities or corrupt Establishment stooges.

I have tried to analyse the reasons for this terrible perceptional imbalance and have concluded that the general public’s blatant preference for Ken’s side of the story is, to some extent, completely understandable…given the following factors. Firstly, Abacha was a nortorious dictator whose operatives had gotten into the habit of targeting innocent citizens. They gunned MKO Abiola’s wife Kudirat down, incarcerated the Sultan of Sokoto and caused the death of Shehu Musa Yar’Adua, our current President’s revered sibling. So who can blame anyone who – when the ugly Ogoni drama unfolded – simply didn’t buy Abacha’s anti-Ken accusations?
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Sagamite(m): 6:37pm On Oct 02, 2012
cjrane:

At the peak of fuel scarcity in 2001,i observed a bunch of soldiers trying to bring order in a filling station where there was a free for all fight over limited fuel,with some threatening to throw a burning cigarette at the area with a bunch of 50 liters fuel jerrycans.The soldiers succeeded,but had injured many people.But they justified their force by saying if the man with the cigarette had lit the place as he had promised to do,everyone would not just be bruised but dead.That is somewhat related to what Abacha did for Nigeria.He didn't annul the June 12th elections,but he had to keep the country from slipping into a Sierra-Leone type of civil war,in which many many more would have perished.

@ Sagamite,

It is a waste time to join issues with an slowpoke.However, History is history.You don't even know your history,but blinded by primordial hatred for a man that did his best to hold his country together.Abacha had to be a firm and decisive leader so that Nigeria would not disintegrate.The same thing you guys criticize GEJ for not being firm on national issues.
By benefit of hindsight,Abacha was a great leader whether you are blinded by tribal emotions or not.All the issues he proposed to do before his death,from national reconciliation and issue of power rotation, which was thrown out of the window by Obasanjo out of hatred for the man that jailed him are the only solution to Nigeria's crisis today.I concede he made mistakes by thinking he was the only person that could nurture the birth of nascent Nigeria, but judged against what others who came after him did, Abacha was a true patriot and wanted Nigeria to succeed.

You are a person!

A cretinous product of a failed education system!

No 1, so what the soldier did was right?

You are a cretin!

No 2, so Abacha needed to kill people and steal $5bn to keep the country together?

You are a FOOOOOL!

GenBuhari: @Sagamite
Most of my assertions are backed up by hard evidence, sources and research.

Can you say the same for your posts?

Backed up if one is a mental patient! grin

Psychotic cretin!
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Clemzy16(m): 6:43pm On Oct 02, 2012
earthgreeners: From Patience(Permanent Sec.) to Abacha (Immortalization)..

This Dickson get brain at all?....
Na Wetin big Dic.k dey cause.
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Nobody: 6:44pm On Oct 02, 2012
I agreed with most of your post except the extract below:

I do not believe Abacha actually ordered the killing of Abiola's wife, I believe she was killed by the same shadowy dark forces that poisoned Abiola and Abacha himself.

Just think about it for a moment: Why would Abacha kill Kudirat Abiola whilst at the same time keeping Abiola alive in prison? It doesn't add up to me.

Do you realise that Abacha offered Abiola release from prison on bail, but Abiola refused as he wanted to play for high stakes?

Again there is no evidence that he killed Yara Dua, the man was harmless to him in prison.

Abagworo:

Firstly, Abacha was a nortorious dictator whose operatives had gotten into the habit of targeting innocent citizens. They gunned MKO Abiola’s wife Kudirat down, incarcerated the Sultan of Sokoto and caused the death of Shehu Musa Yar’Adua, our current President’s revered sibling. So who can blame anyone who – when the ugly Ogoni drama unfolded – simply didn’t buy Abacha’s anti-Ken accusations?
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Abagworo(m): 6:49pm On Oct 02, 2012
GenBuhari: I agreed with most of you post except the extract below:

I do not believe Abacha actuall ordered the killing of Abiola's wife, I believe she was killed by the same shadowy forces that poisoned Abiola and Abacha himself.

think about it why would he kill Kudirat Abiola whilst at the same time keeping Abiola alive in prison? It doesn't add up to me.

Again there is no evidence that he killed Yara Dua, the man was harmless to him in prison.

That was a statement by the nephew of one of the 4 Ogoni chiefs murdered by Saro Wiwa's squad. That was the information forced into the head of Nigerians then that made people hate Abacha. A lot of people believe he killed Kudirat and stole 5billion Dollars. Where did Nigeria get 5billion Dollars when oil was selling below 11 Dollars and he still had reserves of over 7billion Dollars and PTF projects. That's funny to me.
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Sagamite(m): 6:53pm On Oct 02, 2012
Abagworo:

That was a statement by the nephew of one of the 4 Ogoni chiefs murdered by Saro Wiwa's squad. That was the information forced into the head of Nigerians then that made people hate Abacha. A lot of people believe he killed Kudirat and stole 5billion Dollars. Where did Nigeria get 5billion Dollars when oil was selling below 11 Dollars and he still had reserves of over 7billion Dollars and PTF projects. That's funny to me.

Amsorry?

So where did the billions of dollars found in foreign accounts being given to Nigeria come from?

The western banks just felt like dashing Nigeria?
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Nobody: 6:54pm On Oct 02, 2012
^ Yes, he actually left our reseves $9billion higher than he found it

He was prosecuting wars in Sierra Leone and Liberia cost at least $10billion

He was facing sanctions from the West

He must have been a magician to have also managed to steal money especially when oil was selling at only $9 per barrel.
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Nobody: 6:57pm On Oct 02, 2012
http://star.worldbank.org/corruption-cases/node/18573

Abubakar Bagudu, the PDP cronie (currently PDP senator for Kebbie) who Obasanjo falsely claimed to be Abacha's business partner goes to court to admit to stealing so that it can claimed that he and Abacha stole together.

Exract from world bank report above:

Jersey Attorney General's Annual Review for 2003, the report noted that "2003 saw Jersey’s long running investigation into Nigerian corruption approach its climax. Working closely with the present Nigerian authorities, the U.S. authorities and countries across Western Europe, Serious Crime Group lawyers played a direct and crucial role in the repatriation of some U.S.$160 million of money embezzled from the people of Nigeria and channelled through Jersey by the late Nigerian dictator Sani Abacha, and his henchmen. Further repatriations of stolen funds are expected to follow in the months ahead." (Source: Attorney General's Annual Review 2003, at 6-7, accessed at http://www.gov.je/SiteCollectionDocuments/Government%20and%20administrat....) According to Attorney Enrico Monfrini, the Jersey authorities had informally frozen the $160 million. In 2003, Abubakar Bagudu, an associate of Mr. Abacha, was arrested and extradited from Houston, Texas at the request of Jersey. Mr. Bagudu settled with the Nigerian government, agreeing to return the $160 million in exchange for deportation to Nigeria. (Source: Enrico Monfrini, "The Abacha Case," in Mark Pieth, ed., Recovering Stolen Assets (Peter Lang, 2008)).
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Nobody: 6:58pm On Oct 02, 2012
[size=18pt]Abacha family representative challenges FG to produce evidence of money they falsely claimed was recovered[/size]

Reuben Atabor is the legal counsel to the family of late Head of State, Gen. Sani Abacha. In this interview with Agaju Madugba in Kaduna he insists that former President Olusegun Obasanjo should give Nigerians account of the sum of over $450 million confiscated from the Abacha family.

The Abacha family:
I would not say that the Abacha family is a controversial family, but when you look for their trouble they will hit you back. Any human being would do the same. If somebody looks for their trouble, they will not fold their arms and watch. They have to defend themselves; and that should not be interpreted to mean that they are controversial.”
Describing the Abacaha family as “humble,” Atabor said that the family succeeded in retrieving Durbar Hotel from the federal Government, through the judicial process.
As he put it, “the Federal Government went on an appeal and the appeal is yet to be determined. Without the determination of the appeal, it will not be wise to start putting money there, even though it is now under the control of the family and the company that acquired it.

The so -called "Abacha loot":
According to Atabor, “it is not the Abacha family that said that government took $500 million from them. It was the government that said it recovered the amount. Obasanjo said he collected over $400 million from Switzerland. Have you seen any trace of it?

“Why is it that Nigerians cannot ask questions regarding what Obasanjo did with that money? We are in a democratic setting, not military. You are entitled to go to Ota and ask Baba or find out from the minister of finance under Obasanjo. They should tell Nigerians what they did with the money. It is a legitimate question.
I am not the banker or the Abacha family accounts officer; and they do not keep their money with me. But the former President said he recovered well over $450 million to $500 million. Nigerians should ask him what he did with the money.

The former National Security Adviser, Gen. Aliyu Gusua, pursued the case. Nigerians should also find out from him. Did they build a library with it or did they buy a presidential jet?”
As lawyer to the family:
“It is like rendering service to any client. By the grace of God, I have other clients and we handle some other cases. If anybody abuses me for defending the Abacha family, that is his own cup of tea. Lawyers are defending Husni Mubarak of Egypt. The family of the late Gaddafi has taken the government of this country to court for the way their father was murdered”.

http://www.peoplesdaily-online.com/politics/the-analysis/28751-what-happened-to-the-abacha-loot-asks-familys-lawyer

[size=22pt]The money Obasanjo claimed he recovered from foreign banks did not belong to Abacha[/size]
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Nobody: 7:00pm On Oct 02, 2012
[size=18pt]Swiss court notes on so called "Abacha Loot" case, shows Abacha maliciously and unjustly blamed[/size]

http://www.mcswisslaw.com/pages_e/2008%20Monfrini%20-%20The%20Abacha%20Case.pdf

"
The existence of a system of confiscation orders that is independent
from a criminal conviction is therefore a necessity in grand corruption
cases. In this context, reversing the burden of proof or imposing
procedural consequences on the failure of the asset holder to cooperate
regarding the origin of the assets, appear to be best legislative
practice. The presumption of innocence does not necessarily apply to
confiscation proceedings and ‘presumptions of fact or of law operate
in every criminal-law system and are not prohibited in principle’ and
therefore do not breach the right to a fair trial.28"

[size=18pt]This is 21 page Swiss court document but the above extract is very revealing indeed.

Basically, by qualifying Abacha's family members together with PDP stooges claiming to be Abacha's business associates as a 'Criminal Organisation', Nigerian Government did not need to prove that the funds in the foreign accounts belonged to Abacha, The Onus was on Abacha to proof that he was innocent of the charges.

Of course a deceased man could not do that.

Abacha's son Mohammed could not fully challenge the allegations as he was locked up at the time by Obasanjo.[/size]
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Nobody: 7:04pm On Oct 02, 2012
sorry if I seem to be spammming but it is essential evidence that prove the extent Obj and IBB went to in order to deceive us.
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by ozodimgba(m): 7:27pm On Oct 02, 2012
who cares let them name bayelsa state Abacha state with its capital as alameiasyia. I hope Delta state is also planning to immortaliz James Ibori incase he did not make it in d prison. Yeye country with yeye government who lacks focus. Our problem is dat we dont even know what we want @ a time arrant nonsense!
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Nobody: 7:30pm On Oct 02, 2012
^ Stop wallowing in ignorance and read the evidence presented to you.
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Hearme(m): 7:33pm On Oct 02, 2012
May be the FG will soon name UNIJOS AFTER him.
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Nobody: 7:35pm On Oct 02, 2012
^ He deserves all the accolades that could be awarded to him.
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Nobody: 7:36pm On Oct 02, 2012
Abacha was a thieving despot, pure and simple.
Anyone who believes otherwise needs to have his head examined grin
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Nobody: 7:38pm On Oct 02, 2012
^ igorance is ignoring knowledge that has been served to you on a plate.
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Nobody: 7:39pm On Oct 02, 2012
GenBuhari: [size=18pt]Swiss court notes on so called "Abacha Loot" case, shows Abacha maliciously and unjustly blamed[/size]

http://www.mcswisslaw.com/pages_e/2008%20Monfrini%20-%20The%20Abacha%20Case.pdf

"
The existence of a system of confiscation orders that is independent
from a criminal conviction is therefore a necessity in grand corruption
cases. In this context, reversing the burden of proof or imposing
procedural consequences on the failure of the asset holder to cooperate
regarding the origin of the assets, appear to be best legislative
practice. The presumption of innocence does not necessarily apply to
confiscation proceedings and ‘presumptions of fact or of law operate
in every criminal-law system and are not prohibited in principle’ and
therefore do not breach the right to a fair trial.28"

[size=18pt]This is 21 page Swiss court document but the above extract is very revealing indeed.

Basically, by qualifying Abacha's family members together with PDP stooges claiming to be Abacha's business associates as a 'Criminal Organisation', Nigerian Government did not need to prove that the funds in the foreign accounts belonged to Abacha, The Onus was on Abacha to proof that he was innocent of the charges.

Of course a deceased man could not do that.

Abacha's son Mohammed could not fully challenge the allegations as he was locked up at the time by Obasanjo.[/size]
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Hearme(m): 7:45pm On Oct 02, 2012
was this not the governor who named the first lady a perm. sec? i think he takes so many controversial decisions. State house of assembly members are usually not relevant in many states. i suggest they apply to the FG to rename the state to SARO-WIWA.
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Sagamite(m): 7:49pm On Oct 02, 2012
GenBuhari: ^ Yes, he actually left our reseves $9billion higher than he found it

He was prosecuting wars in Sierra Leone and Liberia costing $10billion

He was facing sanctions from the West

He must have been a magician to have also managed to steal money especially when oil was selling at only $9 per barrel.

Cretinous person!

A country with an annual budget of $29Bn dollars in 2002, hence far less in 1993-8, would be funding a war costing $10bn dollars in another country that has no direct benefit to its own country?

Psychotic cretin!

Maybe the war costs $1bn and the unaccountable thieves stamped $10bn on it to loot crazy!

Fcking mooron!

Mental patient.
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Nobody: 7:54pm On Oct 02, 2012
$10billion over 5 years
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Nobody: 7:58pm On Oct 02, 2012
And he turned down all offers of world bank and IMF loans

That was why he had to be poisoned.

Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by dayokanu(m): 8:03pm On Oct 02, 2012
Abagworo:

Why would someone spare people that want to cause crisis in his country? I wonder how biased some people can be. As long as Shagari did not complete his tenure there shouldn't have been any election till now because the legitimate thing to do was to install him back and let him finish his term in office. That means June 12 election was illegal too. Abacha did not annul June 12 but NADECO and other terrorist media mafia of that time made people forget IBB was the actual culprit. ?

This Long epistle is to prove that its the Mgbati people that planted the first bombs in Nigeria

Show us where NADECO and Mgbati were the first to plant bombs in Nigeria. Like NADECO and Mgbati were the one who bombed Dele Giwa.

NADECO and mgbati was the one who killed Saro Wiwa, Nadeco kill Shehu Musa Yar Adua, NADECO and Mgbati killed Alfred rewane, NADECO and Mgbati killed Kudirat, Bagauda Kaltho, NADECO and Mgbati planned to kill Ibru

Its the Mgbati people that lied on Abacha for doing this He did not kill anyone even though Sgt Rogers, Frank Omenka, DMI Sabo all confessed to the crime

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Nobody: 8:07pm On Oct 02, 2012
Obasanjo was in the business of deceiving Nigeria to the extent he bribed or blackmailed for members of Abacha's regime to make confessions that would discredit Abacha.

dayokanu:

Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by aljharem(m): 8:16pm On Oct 02, 2012
dayokanu:

This Long epistle is to prove that its the Mgbati people that planted the first bombs in Nigeria

Show us where NADECO and Mgbati were the first to plant bombs in Nigeria. Like NADECO and Mgbati were the one who bombed Dele Giwa.

NADECO and mgbati was the one who killed Saro Wiwa, Nadeco kill Shehu Musa Yar Adua, NADECO and Mgbati killed Alfred rewane, NADECO and Mgbati killed Kudirat, Bagauda Kaltho, NADECO and Mgbati planned to kill Ibru

loooooooooool abeg leave abagworo alone. The dude is sick in the head. How I wonder what he would be saying if abacha killed likes if ojukwu, ekueme etc. so cuz he killed mostly people from Yoruba, fulani ogoni extract. He was a good man
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Sagamite(m): 8:16pm On Oct 02, 2012
GenBuhari: $10billion over 5 years

A country with probably less than $15bn a year in annual budget is spending $2bn a year on a war that adds nothing to its economy?

person, you believe that? Even if you did, you think that is good governance?

Mental patient!
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Nobody: 8:31pm On Oct 02, 2012
Sagamite you are making my point for me, the Nigerian budget was so small how can Abacha with all he was doing manage to embezzle any money and still live $9billion more reserve than he met?
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by bigmaut: 8:40pm On Oct 02, 2012
oh we a missing Gen.sanni Abacha when he was around we only hav #50 as d highest denomination,fuel price was#11/ltr,naira was #22 for a dollar. cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Nobody: 9:41pm On Oct 02, 2012
^ It is a really pity.

Nigeria would have been transformed if Abacha had the benefit of the high oil prices that Obj squandered.
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by Abagworo(m): 9:50pm On Oct 02, 2012
dayokanu:

That was the news just like Abacha's bad side was the news. Dele Giwa's was a private letter bomb but NADECO bombed Murtala Mohammed Airport which is more like targeting National interest.
Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by nagoma(m): 10:21pm On Oct 02, 2012
The first and the best ever government Nigeria had was Balewa's government. A government of real nationalists and honorable leaders destroyed by savage Igbo murderers. Nigeria has not and will never recover from that genocidal killing by ifeajuna, Nzegwu, okafor and other Igbo evil men hiding under military uniform, our military.

1 Like

Re: Bayelsa To Immortalise Sani Abacha by ACM10: 11:07pm On Oct 02, 2012
nagoma: The first and the best ever government Nigeria had was Balewa's government. A government of real nationalists and honorable leaders destroyed by savage Igbo murderers. Nigeria has not and will never recover from that genocidal killing by ifeajuna, Nzegwu, okafor and other Igbo evil men hiding under military uniform, our military.

Do you want us to debate about Abubakar Tafawa Balewa and his government?

@Post, I can't believe my eye that some people have romantic view of Abacha 14yrs after his death. Well, I don't blame Nigerians. It is called "Stockholm syndrome" in medical literature. Developing love and sympathy for someone that tormented you in the past. Nigerians are not alone on this. Russians have this feeling for Stalin. Even though he massacred 20 million Soviets.

Ken Saro Wiwa had never impressed me owing partly to his role in abandoned property saga. He personally occupied many buildings owned by Ndigbo. He was a ruthless man who believed in the brutal suppression of opposition in Ogoni. Maybe he got what he deserves. I don't share this romantic view of him. Inasmuch as I don't like Ken Saro Wiwa, I am against his execution by Abacha. Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
Abacha was a half-educated blood-thirsty, corrupt criminal who tolerates no dissent from his countrymen. I wont be surprised if Obasanjo, Yar Adua or Jonathan recieves accolades 10yrs from now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Traded With Biafran Pounds Just Yesterday- Gbenga Osinaike / Soldiers Arrest Suspected Associates Of Tompolo / FG Blames Illegal Russian, Chinese Fishing In Nigerian Waters For Low Revenue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.