Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,430 members, 7,819,557 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:06 PM

Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees (8020 Views)

Edo University Confers Oshiomhole With Honorary Doctorate Degree (PICS) / APC Warns Against Insulting Buhari, Government Officials - Premiumtimes / Babatunde Fowler Has Fake Honorary Doctorate Degree - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by EkoAtlantic1(f): 11:54am On Oct 02, 2012
1Dray:

You're sure a big fo.ol!

You also have that same degree? grin
They're coming to get it soon tongue

Your hand don fall grin grin
Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by ijo4lite(m): 11:58am On Oct 02, 2012
right step in the right direction.
Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by thelastPope(m): 12:01pm On Oct 02, 2012
Eko Atlantic#:
That mean they'll withdraw GEJ's PH.D.? grin grin

You really think you are half as intelligent as him? You really think you can survive the rigors of contesting for or being the President of Nigeria for one week? You think being articulate or charismatic and being intelligent are the same thing? Most first class people can't speak or express themselves in public you know.

You can type nonsense because you are hiding behind a pseudo name in NL but am sure if we meet in public, you can't influence your household not to talk of your street!

2 Likes

Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by misreal(m): 12:26pm On Oct 02, 2012
siddiq202:
his Ph.D wasn't honorary!!!
my brother tell am oh lipsrsealed
Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by 1Dray(m): 12:26pm On Oct 02, 2012
thelastPope:

You really think you are half as intelligent as him? You really think you can survive the rigors of contesting for or being the President of Nigeria for one week? You think being articulate or charismatic and being intelligent are the same thing? Most first class people can't speak or express themselves in public you know.

You can type nonsense because you are hiding behind a pseudo name in NL but am sure if we meet in public, you can't influence your household not to talk of your street!

#Word! Tell that loud fo.ol
Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by kundul: 12:27pm On Oct 02, 2012
Hahahaha d presidency shld also ve a rethink on its so called issueing of National award 2. However dis my ppl r jst speaking wit d sides of their mouths because dem never c money na him mk, No b naija we dey? Una go hear stories soon.

1 Like

Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by misreal(m): 12:28pm On Oct 02, 2012
thelastPope:

my brother u too much oh grin
Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by misreal(m): 12:30pm On Oct 02, 2012
thelastPope:

my brother u too much oh grin
Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by KINGwax(m): 12:37pm On Oct 02, 2012
feelamong: After selling their Birth right for a "pot of Porridge' they are complaining that PHDs have lost its value!

Ok, lets see how they will stand for this resolution.

Bunch of nimcompoops
Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by itsmayiela(m): 12:42pm On Oct 02, 2012
taharqa:
i love this....
The guideline will check the excessive number and procedure of awarding honorary degrees in Nigeria.

Henceforth, political office holders are no longer to be conferred with honorary doctorate degrees, the Association of Vice Chancellors of Nigerian Universities has said.

In an attempt to reduce the indiscriminate award of honorary degrees, the Association, on Monday in Abuja, released guidelines for the award of honorary degrees in Nigerian universities.

The Secretary-General of the Association, Michael Faborode, said the guidelines would be effective from January 2013; and would, henceforth, be referred to as the “Keffi Declaration.”

He said that the 27th conference of the association held at the Nassarawa State University had examined the general erosion of academic culture and tradition.

Mr. Faborode said the “Keffi Declaration” would seek to restore the age long university culture and tradition of best practices.

“We have observed that the number of honorary degree awardees have become uncontrollably large, ranging from one to 20 in a single convocation ceremony and at times presented in absentia to surrogates,” Mr. Faborode said.

“We have also noted that most of these awards are based on wealth, political office, and position as a means of generating revenue with little or no consideration for integrity.

“There’s no consideration for contribution to the development of the university and no consideration for national development,” he added.

He said the agreed procedure for the award of honorary degrees enjoined universities to make it a policy not to bestow a honorary degree on any person holding political office.

He said the guidelines and procedure for the selection of honorary degree recipients should be in accordance with the law and statute of the respective universities.

According to Mr. Faborode, this should be in line with best practices and the selection process should be through the appropriate committee of the awarding university’s Senate.

“The award of degree should be given to any professional who has made significant or ground breaking discoveries in the areas of accomplishments, invention, and innovation among others to societal development.

“This should not be tied to wealth consideration or political alignment, rather it should be based on leadership, service and the contribution of the recipient to social and economic development of the society.”

Mr. Faborode said that no university should be allowed to award a honorary degree “if it has not graduated any PhD or has no post-graduate school”.

He added that the use of ‘Dr’ as a title for honorary degree recipients “is unconventional and therefore, not allowed”.

He said the association as a matter of policy had decided that universities should hold their convocation ceremonies annually, and where possible within the same month each year.

Mr. Faborode said that the association, in collaboration with the Nigeria Universities Commission, would act as a whistle blower and take appropriate action to ensure compliance.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/102143-political-office-holders-wont-get-honourary-degrees-anymore-vcs.html

Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by nagoma(m): 12:43pm On Oct 02, 2012
Eko Atlantic#:

his PhD is not honorary, he bought it with his own money when he was Deputy Governor i was told.
Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by smalls001: 12:53pm On Oct 02, 2012
This step is long overdue...What have they been doing all these years....Anyways I'm happy someone woke up...
Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:06pm On Oct 02, 2012
Dr. Aki and Dr. PawPaw imagine dat angry angry or Dr. Goodluck grin grin
Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by ypzilanti: 1:24pm On Oct 02, 2012
Also for Chieftancy and National Awards too.

Do your work and go. We will recognize you later.

1 Like

Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by ooconsider(m): 1:28pm On Oct 02, 2012
icydoc: we no how to talk and draw up good plans in Nigeria,but implementation is dismal.wait a couple of months to see the same pple in the so called keefi declaration advocating for honorary degrees for politicians.its a good decision they have taken.may God give them the discipline to stand by it.
my Brother,no mind them. Naija knows wetin them dey do but na d thing wey de do them be d wahala..
icydoc: we no how to talk and draw up good plans in Nigeria,but implementation is dismal.wait a couple of months to see the same pple in the so called keefi declaration advocating for honorary degrees for politicians.its a good decision they have taken.may God give them the discipline to stand by it.
my Brother,no mind them. Naija knows wetin them dey do but na d thing wey de do them be d wahala..
Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by thelastPope(m): 1:29pm On Oct 02, 2012
nagoma:

his PhD is not honorary, he bought it with his own money when he was Deputy Governor i was told.

Ok you were told by Mama Burukutu at the bear palour in mammy market when you were on your 5th bottle abi? It is too early to be drunk you hear? This is work hour. Get a grip!
Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by kpozite(m): 1:38pm On Oct 02, 2012
Eko Atlantic#:

Check facts before you talk GEJ worked for his own and merited it, he was a lecturer before he joined politics. He had his PH.D in hydrobiology
Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by kpozite(m): 1:52pm On Oct 02, 2012
Yes this new found sanity should also be extended to so called National Awards.

1 Like

Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by Nuezha(m): 2:46pm On Oct 02, 2012
Eko Atlantic#:
Was GEJ's Ph.D honorary??! Slander isn't funny!
Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by Nobody: 3:43pm On Oct 02, 2012
let's hope this stands. however with the way things are, i'm sure a private school will be opened for politicians and businessmen who want to buy earn a degree undecided
Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by Darlo22(m): 4:51pm On Oct 02, 2012
grin
brownbriggs: To all the Nigerian VCs, this policy will not stand becos is my turn now, thats why they re coming up with this ideal. Maybe after awarding to me.
you still have 3 months.the new policy takes effect in January 2013 lol.
Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by homerac7: 5:11pm On Oct 02, 2012
donpata:
u GO school at all? Honourary and PHD na d same thing? Why you dey show your ignorance 4 public nah... Heard sm1 say dem go collect GEJ phd.
A little education - PhD = Academic (Dat is, person wey chop book tire); (Dr) note the bracket - Ceremonial (Dat is person wey theif pass)

Guy, cool ya temper. both of dem b PhD, d only difference is dt one is Honoris Causa and i no knw d Latinized oyibo wey dem dey use dress d second one wey b academic.
Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by emmyluvly(m): 7:47pm On Oct 02, 2012
Eko Atlantic#:
The president has a phd dat is not honorary oo.
Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by EkoAtlantic1(f): 11:37pm On Oct 02, 2012
Eko Atlantic#:

That mean they'll withdraw GEJ's PH.D.?

siddiq202:
his Ph.D wasn't honorary!!!
1Dray:

You're sure a big fo.ol!
thelastPope:

nagoma:

kpozite:

Check facts before you talk GEJ worked for his own and merited it, he was a lecturer before he joined politics. He had his PH.D in hydrobiology
Nuezha:
Nuezha:
emmyluvly:
The president has a phd dat is not honorary oo.

Just a sentence shocked Nigerians grin grin
Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by ndukwejoe(m): 11:48pm On Oct 02, 2012
You done make me laugh so te i tap boko haram member tell am God bless you one nigeria
donpata:
u GO school at all? Honourary and PHD na d same thing? Why you dey show your ignorance 4 public nah... Heard sm1 say dem go collect GEJ phd.
A little education - PhD = Academic (Dat is, person wey chop book tire); (Dr) note the bracket - Ceremonial (Dat is person wey theif pass)
Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by ikdpal(m): 6:58am On Oct 03, 2012
to go sukulu good ooO! at least, ppl wey know wetin honor mean the helep us wey dey push our truck tell the world...my God go blez all ooO, una dooO!
Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by k2039: 9:13am On Oct 03, 2012
[size=13pt]
How can a university give 20 honourary degree in one convocation.I take this a step in the right direction in restoring sanity to our universities(a sane university wont just give out honorary degrees assive it is beans)
[/size]
Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by donpata(m): 4:37am On Oct 04, 2012
homerac7:

Guy, cool ya temper. both of dem b PhD, d only difference is dt one is Honoris Causa and i no knw d Latinized oyibo wey dem dey use dress d second one wey b academic.

Thanks 4 d education. but why not tell us about the difference btw "Dr." and "(Dr.). Abi 4 wia dem give you totorials dem no tell u say d former is academic and genuine Doctor of Philosophy- PhD. E.g. (Dr.) Dariye vs Dr. Jonathan. and Dariye PhD. vs Jonathan PhD. I believe u can c d difference. mayb uve not noticed so well. Go back to your archive newspapers and check how it has been written for those with honourary vs academic... Waiting 4 u 2 educate me more...
Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by donpata(m): 4:42am On Oct 04, 2012
ndukwejoe: You done make me laugh so te i tap boko haram member tell am God bless you one nigeria
If u had had d oppurtunity of reading outsyd your field of study (Igbo Language) while at the college of education, Owerri, You wouldnt be laughing.. tongue tongue
Re: Government Officials Stopped From Honorary Doctorate Degrees by HONORARYDEGREE: 11:12am On May 06, 2020
Get an HONORARY DOCTORATE OF DIVINITY from a reputable institution of higher learning.Honorary degrees can be legally awarded as done by many universities throughout the world.No other degree is as widely recognized as the Honorary doctorate degree because of the honour and respect associated with being conferred with such an honour.This award is ecclesiastical in nature which is contrary to an academic doctorate which requires several years of postgraduate education.The degree is not recognized by employers as having the same stature as a corresponding earned doctorate degree and should not be represented as such.

The ecclesiastical honorary doctorate, or Dr. Honoris Causa, can legally be added to your name in the U.S, in Europe, and in many other countries.Do you know that late Dr Nnamdi Azikwe had an honorary degree? Are you aware that most people in key political positions hold only honorary doctorates?

If you wish to elevate your status in society and be addressed with respect then getting a doctorate of divinity will be of an added advantage.You can have it framed and hung on your office wall for your visitors to see.This award (honoris
causa) is awarded to persons who have contributed immensely to their community and the church.If you deserve the special recognition and honor of receiving the Honorary Doctorate of Divinity Degree then we will be very glad to assist you.Please be aware that there are so many bogus fake honorary degree awarding institutions and diploma mills out there.We can assist you in applying to verified theological institutions worldwide on our database to obtain a verifiable doctorate of divinity.

Please note that each institution has their own strict guidelines and criteria which applicants must meet, which will be evaluated before the award will be given.A donation will also be suggested.Also note that we are not affiliated to any
of the institutions advertised.These institutions do not sell their Honorary Degrees, however there is a suggested donation amount.We offer a consultancy service and such charge our clients for our service.Contact us below for only serious minded persons

Honorary Awards
Tel: +2347013060243
Email: honorarydegreesng@gmail.com

(1) (2) (Reply)

Amnesty Office Seeks Presidential Nod To Disarm Arepo Pipeline Vandals, Others / List Of World Oil Rich Countries Facing Recession Now / Afenifere Disowns Statement Faulting Tinubu’s Supreme Court Victory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.