Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,992 members, 7,814,389 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:08 PM

What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria (11586 Views)

4 Lies The World Tells Us About Sex / Hear What Pope Francis Tells Buhari,other World Leaders / What The Christian God Really Tells Us In The Book Of Genesis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by Nobody: 6:02am On Oct 03, 2012
Interesting interview....

Religion in Nollywood

"Much of what you see in Nollywood in relation to religion is hogwash because the human capacity to solve problems is denied. The power to make things happen is given to God, who already gave you powers to use. It's as if you are denying that God gave you those powers when you credit to him every evil or good that happens. In Nollywood, that is the way it happens. Problems that have direct objective and scientific solutions are made to appear so outlandish, so out of this world, so otherworldly, that it is solely by appealing to God that they get solved.

There are psychological problems that have direct solutions. Somebody living alone who has little oxygen may have nightmares. It is biological. But in Nollywood, when you come across someone who lives in this situation, rather then taking a look at the circumstances of that individual, you appeal to God. Every nightmare is interpreted as a spiritual attack which some pastor will deal with. People have stopped using their brains. Societies like that are asking to be colonized. They are asking for forces outside their own orbit to intervene in their environment. So much is granted to that otherworldly power that the powers that individuals have always been given by their maker are neglected and allowed to decay. Nollywood is a good example of how Africans are taught not to use their minds. I am just hoping that some smart kid, some smart young women or man, will enter that business and turn it upside down. It will be the radical revolution, the break and rupture that will make a difference."
Link:Here

26 Likes

Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by wiegraf: 9:25am On Oct 03, 2012
This is an interesting article....
Intended audience (of sorts) doesn't care though
Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by mkmyers45(m): 9:55am On Oct 03, 2012
^^^^Me Likey @ Article
Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by Nobody: 12:56pm On Oct 18, 2012
bump...
Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by plaetton: 2:45pm On Oct 18, 2012
Art imitates life. Nollywood films showcase the fragmented realities of nigerian life. They show us that Nigerians have been completely robbed of the capacity to squarly face the many challanges of life. It showcases the eargerness with which we relegate even the simpliest of problems to supernatural causes and solutions.

Nollywood and the semi-literate pentecostal minnions who run the producing companies have successfully infused their theology of fear into the what was supposed to be an attempt at cultural revival and pride.

Nollywood, as a social engineering tool, can be the most powerful and effective tool to foster unity,for cultural and ethical revival and re-orientation.
But alas, the enemy has taken over to use it as its own powerful tool to propagate its own messages of fear, bigotry and intolerance.

Indina movies showcase their cultural pride. Chinese films showcase their culture ,proud history, and their pride.
Nigerian movies , on the other hand , showcase the mockery of their culture and history.

"The Black slaves after receiving this indoctrination shall carry on and will become self-refueling and self-generating for HUNDREDS of years, maybe THOUSANDS".
-This is excerpt from the Willie Lynch letter of 1712, a scientific manual for man-breaking and slave-making.

6 Likes

Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by timpaker(m): 4:25pm On Oct 18, 2012
This is F.cuking true.
Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by Nobody: 4:27pm On Oct 18, 2012
Okay
Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by jigawatts(m): 4:37pm On Oct 18, 2012
Nollywood taught me that wen a woman is vomiting ......... SHE IS PREGNANT grin

Nollywood taught me that a ghost must look right-left-right before crossing the road grin

I need to remember more ...........

7 Likes

Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by MadCow1: 4:37pm On Oct 18, 2012
musKeeto: Interesting interview....

Religion in Nollywood

"Much of what you see in Nollywood in relation to religion is hogwash because the human capacity to solve problems is denied. The power to make things happen is given to God, who already gave you powers to use. It's as if you are denying that God gave you those powers when you credit to him every evil or good that happens. In Nollywood, that is the way it happens. Problems that have direct objective and scientific solutions are made to appear so outlandish, so out of this world, so otherworldly, that it is solely by appealing to God that they get solved.

There are psychological problems that have direct solutions. Somebody living alone who has little oxygen may have nightmares. It is biological. But in Nollywood, when you come across someone who lives in this situation, rather then taking a look at the circumstances of that individual, you appeal to God. Every nightmare is interpreted as a spiritual attack which some pastor will deal with. People have stopped using their brains. Societies like that are asking to be colonized. They are asking for forces outside their own orbit to intervene in their environment. So much is granted to that otherworldly power that the powers that individuals have always been given by their maker are neglected and allowed to decay. Nollywood is a good example of how Africans are taught not to use their minds. I am just hoping that some smart kid, some smart young women or man, will enter that business and turn it upside down. It will be the radical revolution, the break and rupture that will make a difference."

Priceless.... I give a standing ovation to this writer..

5 Likes

Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by Tunjman(m): 4:40pm On Oct 18, 2012
Succinctly said!
Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by Nobody: 4:40pm On Oct 18, 2012
Can someone elucidate this Bullsh1t? If it was written to destroy the image of the entertainment industry,then it's a sure debacle.
Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by ubong560(m): 4:40pm On Oct 18, 2012
Take it or leave it, no amount of criticisms can impede d progress of nollywood, instead, u c its progressv nature goin up n up evry day. I can't wait 2 join it asap.
Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by Nobody: 4:41pm On Oct 18, 2012
Epic

2 Likes

Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by Nobody: 4:41pm On Oct 18, 2012
Societies like that are asking to be colonized..

I wonder if we aren't already..
Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by carefulme(m): 4:42pm On Oct 18, 2012
I couldnt agree more
Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by Nobody: 4:43pm On Oct 18, 2012
To the haters and slowpokes,

The article/OP is not about Nollywood per se. It is about how religion is blocking the minds of people in Nigeria and how Nollywood reflects that.

If Nigeria changes for the better, Nollywood would probably reflect it as well

8 Likes

Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by safarigirl(f): 4:43pm On Oct 18, 2012
What Nollywood tells us about Nigeria

That every bachelor lives in a duplex. The character, even if described as middle class, ends up having a pricy pad with an array of cars to make a Vegas showroom cringe with jealousy.

That every Youth Corper is poor.

That anyone who stays out of town is poor and/or semi-literate, if not a full blown illiterate.

That you're not a big girl if you don't have a smartphone.

That intelligent people are usually poor....rich kids are dumb cultists.

That EVERY intercourse ends up in pregnancy

That EVERY house maid will eventually snatch Madam's husband

Every Gardener is an Efik/Ibibio....every security guard is Hausa

Every Ibo man is a greedy ritualist

Every Yoruba woman is unfaithful....Yoruba people ALWAYS go to a Babalawo to solve their problems.

Adoption is WRONG.......goes on

8 Likes

Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by Shalome(m): 4:44pm On Oct 18, 2012
The article hits the Bulleye...makes me remember,A few years ago a neigbour of mine got this togolese girl as a househelp,she had a problem of sleepwalking before U could say jack robinson my neigbours wife has started Labelling the girl a witch and blaming the poor child for thier misfortune,they even took her for deliverance...WTF

1 Like

Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by carefulme(m): 4:44pm On Oct 18, 2012
carefulme: THAT's TRULY WHAT THEY DO......AND EVEN MORE............

All black cats are witches
mothers prevent their daughters in law from conceiving as a punishment for the sin of their sons
Things as big as a car can disappear.....even so pedestrian bridges..
Zebra crossings can become possessed
You can shoot yourself twice in the head
I never knew how humans commit suicide by hanging.....I learnt it in movies
they make people believe there are such things as MONEY RITUALS

And lots of other very wrong ideology

Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by Nobody: 4:44pm On Oct 18, 2012
That ibo people are ritualist

That for a man to make it in life,he nust first suffer.

That most campus girls are aristos.

That all the time,Good always prevail over Evil.

That you can act nonsense,and still be applauded by stup1d Nigerians.

That all films are sold at Idumota.

That when a person does ritualist,you can become born again,and nothing will happen to you.

A person can be shot inside a car,the glass won't break,and he can die.

4 Likes

Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by Nobody: 4:45pm On Oct 18, 2012
Logicboy03: To the haters and slowpokes,

The article/OP is not about Nollywood per se. It is about how religion is blocking the minds of people in Nigeria and how Nollywood reflects that.

If Nigeria changes for the better, Nollywood would probably reflect it as well
Wrong. Most of the haters here are already miseducated by Nollywood..

A change in the bullshit that Nollywood produces will re educate these slowpokes.

1 Like

Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by Nobody: 4:47pm On Oct 18, 2012
Smh... seems like some peeps just read the Topic and skipped the OP...
Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by Nobody: 4:50pm On Oct 18, 2012
Too much of Fetish and Diabolic life in Nollywood movies especially the Yoruba movies.
Cultism abounds in almost all Igbo films
Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by Nobody: 4:52pm On Oct 18, 2012
Wow!!! This is good!!
Nowadays media control the world
and there is no greater media than movies in the society!
I remember watching this movie(forgot the name) about corruption in nepa and" ramsy noah(main actor) in the movie fought so hard against it even loosing his job and finally the case was heard in abuja headquarter" and justice was carried. and that movie never get noticed in the society but this movie "a cry for help" by nkiru silvanus was so popular!! I believe the society can learn a lot from that ramsy noah movie! If the writer were to be the writer of "a cry for help" it will end up in a way that the actor instead of fighting for what he believe is wrong by phcn he will start praying for god intervention!
I strongly believe that nollywood has al ot to offer NIGERIA noy what we seeing today!

1 Like

Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by Callotti: 4:54pm On Oct 18, 2012
Nollywood. . . .the mirror of the Nigerian soul. . . DARKNESS. . .BACKWARDNESS. . . UGLINESS kiss
Hollywood. . . .the mirror of the American soul. . .LIGHT. . .PROGRESS. . . BEAUTY! kiss
Kim Kardashin Vs Genevieve? grin

2 Likes

Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by Nobody: 4:54pm On Oct 18, 2012
musKeeto:
Wrong. Most of the haters here are already miseducated by Nollywood..

A change in the bullshit that Nollywood produces will re educate these slowpokes.

lol......will Nollywood change sef?
Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by prolifikv: 4:55pm On Oct 18, 2012
grin
jigawatts: Nollywood taught me that wen a woman is vomiting ......... SHE IS PREGNANT grin

Nollywood taught me that a ghost must look right-left-right before crossing the road grin

I need to remember more ...........
Nollywood also taught me dt a ghost cn make en receive fone cals
Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by Christambasador: 4:55pm On Oct 18, 2012
Passing d thread. Dancing azonto. I'l be back.
Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by Nobody: 4:56pm On Oct 18, 2012
Logicboy03:

lol......will Nollywood change sef?
... as likely as Jesus' coming....
Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by Orikinla(m): 4:56pm On Oct 18, 2012
musKeeto: Interesting interview....

90% of Nollywood movies are made by those who don't know what is film making.
It is a great embarrassment to see amateurish TV dramas been passed as movies at the local cinemas in Nigeria.
Majority of the actors don't know that there is a big difference between stage drama and cinema.
Re: What Nollywood Tells Us About Nigeria by solomon111(m): 4:59pm On Oct 18, 2012
Callotti: Nollywood. . . .the mirror of the Nigerian soul. . . DARKNESS. . .BACKWARDNESS. . . UGLINESS kiss
Hollywood. . . .the mirror of the American soul. . .LIGHT. . .PROGRESS. . . BEAUTY! kiss
Kim Kardashin Vs Genevieve? grin
SMH.
Never heard anything more stupidd in my entire life.

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome / The Definition Of Divine Harmony - Understanding Creation & Non-interference / New USSD For Offering And Tithe In Winners Chapel. See How Much I Paid.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.