Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,119 members, 7,953,445 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:23 PM

JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks (16460 Views)

JTF Kill 9 IPOB Members In Onitsha - Vanguard / Reprisal Attacks In Plateau Claim More Lives / Christian Youths Kill Muslims In Reprisal Attacks At Gonin Gora, Kaduna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by 234pulse(m): 3:12am On Oct 09, 2012
OPERATIVES of the Joint Task Force, made up of soldiers, on Monday went haywire in Maiduguri, Borno State, and killed 30 persons in reprisal for the attack on their patrol vehicle in the town.

Most of the victims, The PUNCH learnt, were civilians.

The soldiers were also said to have burnt at least 50 houses, shops and vehicles in the Gwange area of the town.

Some of the victims were reportedly burnt inside their houses beyond recognition.

An Improvised Explosive Device believed to have been planted by member of the violent Islamic sect, Boko Haram, hit the JTF vehicle in the early hours of Monday and killed the leader of the patrol team, an unnamed Lieutenant and injured other members of the patrol team.

The incident occurred along the popular Lagos Street in the Borno State capital town. Maiduguri is believed to be the base of Boko Haram

In retaliation, tens of soldiers were said to have stormed the street and shot indiscriminately at the residents and motorists on the busy road leading to the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital.

The PUNCH learnt on Tuesday that some of the dead victims were killed inside their houses while their corpses were set on fire by the angry soldiers.

About 50 vehicles parked along the street and in front of houses were also set ablaze.

Maiduguri witnessed a similar incident last Sunday when soldiers reportedly killed and indiscriminately set properties on fire to avenge the murder of two soldiers, one of them a Lt.Col.

Reports indicated that some members of Boko Haram died in the soldiers’ rage on Monday but no one could give a specific figure even as the area was cordoned off.

An eyewitness told journalists that more than 50 persons, including some suspected terrorists were killed, while hundreds of houses and shops belonging to residents of Gwange were razed down in the incident.

During a visit to the area at about 3pm, the Deputy Governor, Alhaji Zannah Umar Mustapha, said the government would address the situation when the governor, Alhaji Kashim Shettima, who was on a foreign trip to India, Pakistan and Turkey returned home.

The Deputy Governor appealed to Boko Haram members to lay down their arms for peace to prevail. He added that anytime the sect struck, the innocent always bore the brunt of retaliatory attacks.

Confirming the incident, the JTF Spokesman, Lt. Colonel Sagir Musa, in a text message sent to journalists in Maiduguri said that members of the some Boko Haram sect detonated an IED on a Hilux Patrol vehicle of the JTF, injuring two soldiers aboard the vehicle.

http://www.punchng.com/news/soldiers-go-haywire-kill-30-burn-50-houses-in-maiduguri-to-avenge-army-officers-death/

Nigerian soldiers have shot dead more than 30 civilians in the northeastern city of Maiduguri after their colleague was killed, according to news agencies.

Monday's attack was carried out by soldiers attached to a special army unit policing Maiduguri, the spiritual home of Boko Haram, an armed group that is fighting Western influence and wants to form an Islamic state, the Associated Press news agency reported.

The killings are likely stoke anger in a population already alienated by checkpoints, security force harassment and the threat of being killed by soldiers who are targets of Boko Haram's increasingly bloody guerrilla attacks, AP reported.

It said its reporter in Maiduguri counted the dead while on a tour of the still-smouldering neighbourhood on Monday afternoon.

The journalist saw no weapons or evidence that the dead belonged to the sect, which has concentrated its attacks mainly in the predominantly Muslim north; the south is largely Christian.

A soldier nearby, who did not identify himself, claimed the attack was a response to a bombing nearby earlier on Monday that he said killed an army lieutenant.

"They killed our officer!" the soldier shouted. "We had no options!"

Al Jazeera's Yvonne Ndege, reporting from the capital Abuja, quoted an army spokesman as saying that "there was an attack on an armed patrol vehicle in which it is believed two to four soldiers were killed".

"The spokesperson did not give exact figures - he said that they [soldiers] did sustain casualties and that there were some injured security personnel," she said.

Homes burnt

The AP reporter said he saw about 50 homes as well as businesses burnt by soldiers. The premises are near the Nigerian Union of Journalists state office and other buildings in Maiduguri.

It appeared the soldiers attacked the area using assault rifles and heavy machine guns mounted on
armoured personnel carriers, the AP reported.

Rounds shot from the heavy machine guns destroyed cars and set roofs on fire, which razed buildings and caused damage at a two-story shopping complex.

The journalist accompanied Zanna Umar Mustapha, the deputy governor of Borno state, on the tour.

State officials declined to comment about the killings and urged those traveling with the convoy not to take photographs of
the destruction out of fear of further alienating those living in the region.

Nigeria's military has been accused of committing so-called "extrajudicial killings" while in pursuit of Boko Haram.

The military now routinely claims massive operations with dozens of people killed, always referred to as Boko Haram members or sympathisers, announcements that cannot be independently verified.

The military also downplays its own casualties suffered during the operations.

Boko Haram has killed both Christians and Muslims in their attacks, as well as soldiers and security forces.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2012/10/2012108204857210581.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by okosodo: 5:58am On Oct 09, 2012
They killed boko haram members , not civilians, go and tell your brothers to stop causing troubles

7 Likes

Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by Nobody: 6:52am On Oct 09, 2012
okosodo: They killed boko haram members , not civilians, go and tell your brothers to stop causing troubles
whats your proof? can you repeat these lines in the court?

4 Likes

Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by Nobody: 6:53am On Oct 09, 2012
It's a pity some innocent people had to die with these Boko guys, but is there a better way to deal with the situation?
Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by Nobody: 6:53am On Oct 09, 2012
grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by Leboska(m): 6:54am On Oct 09, 2012
What a pity. Any way what do expect from naija army, in crisis management zero, in human right minus ten(-10)

4 Likes

Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by honeric01(m): 6:59am On Oct 09, 2012
okosodo: They killed boko haram members , not civilians, go and tell your brothers to stop causing troubles

He go soon hit you.
Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by afanda(m): 7:01am On Oct 09, 2012
RIP.

1 Like

Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by 001solar(m): 7:03am On Oct 09, 2012
Na boko boys and people way know about dere operations na dem den kill cos na dere area, make we check am well

4 Likes

Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by talk2me006(m): 7:06am On Oct 09, 2012
I wonder what is in your skull vault called brain.
i believe it is a goat brain.
you dont even pity of innocent civilian in maiduguri or are all people of maiduguri are bokoharam.

2 Likes

Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by ektbear: 7:06am On Oct 09, 2012

During a visit to the area at about 3pm, the Deputy Governor, Alhaji Zannah Umar Mustapha, said the government would address the situation when the governor, Alhaji Kashim Shettima, who was on a foreign trip to India, Pakistan and Turkey returned home.

1 Like

Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by honeric01(m): 7:07am On Oct 09, 2012
talk2me006:
I wonder what is in your skull vault called brain.
i believe it is a goat brain.
you dont even pity of innocent civilian in maiduguri or are all people of maiduguri are bokoharam.

Maybe because he believes those in the north are not humans.

1 Like

Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by JojoArmani(m): 7:08am On Oct 09, 2012
Na wa for dis JTF self. Na for civilians dem dey get power. May de soul of deceased Rest in Peace. And may God give their Loved ones fortitude to bear de lost.
Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by size38: 7:12am On Oct 09, 2012
Pikin wey say him mama no go sleep, himself no go sleep too. Abi no be so my people? They promised to make naija ungovernable so how can they know peace in their region?

1 Like

Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by Igweka(m): 7:14am On Oct 09, 2012
acidosis™:

who will take who to court. u terrorist. Bokoharam are civilian quote me right.

1 Like

Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by jude33084(m): 7:15am On Oct 09, 2012
In as much as I condemn τhis extra judicial killings ᵝȳ τhe military, Maiduguri indigins are not helping issues, they know τhis bad guys aŋԂ yet refuse Ť☺ say because they are one in Islam

They should ask Udi in Bayelsa Wђɑ̤̥̈̊† hit them when they took ∂ soldiers' life angry

1 Like

Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by simplemach(m): 7:16am On Oct 09, 2012
I think dats gud for those islamic animals. Mttcchheeeeeeew.
Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by killuminati(m): 7:16am On Oct 09, 2012
angry
Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by KINGwax(m): 7:19am On Oct 09, 2012
acidosis™:

of course he can. It's simple, every foolish muslims up north are aiding and abetting boko haramic activities!
If they want peace, let them start pointing fingers!

1 Like

Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by killuminati(m): 7:20am On Oct 09, 2012
size38: Pikin wey say him mama no go sleep, himself no go sleep too. Abi no be so my people? They promised to make naija ungovernable so how can they know peace in their region?
e be like na akamu dey inside ur skull brain

Classically Idiotic...
Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by etunoman76(m): 7:20am On Oct 09, 2012
It is so disheartening that human lives mean nothing in this country. Every day, from the East, West, North and South, it's the sad story of death everywhere. What makes it even more painful is that most of these deaths are avoidable
Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by adino(m): 7:21am On Oct 09, 2012
@ ekt_bear
During a visit to the area at about 3pm,
the Deputy Governor, Alhaji Zannah Umar
Mustapha, said the government would
address the situation when the governor,
Alhaji Kashim Shettima, who was on a
foreign trip to India, Pakistan and Turkey
returned home.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by jude33084(m): 7:22am On Oct 09, 2012
killuminati: e be like na akamu dey inside ur skull brain

Classically Idiotic...

No need Ť☺ insult others here just air your opinion about τhe issue at hand. smiley

3 Likes

Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by zangiff(m): 7:25am On Oct 09, 2012
Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by cheddarking(m): 7:25am On Oct 09, 2012
I have no pity...for the bastard spawn of the imams and sheiks of that town..

Burn it down JTF, wipe them out.

No amount of collateral damage is too small. They must make the Civilian populace fear JTF more than Boko Haram.

Let them know that JTF is ready to be bring double the pain.

6 Likes

Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by Godjone(m): 7:26am On Oct 09, 2012
Jtf, masacre and butcher anyting at sight they deserved it if not what do u expect? shud they clap their hands btw dia legs and watch a full Liutanant and seven soldiers killed in a community where the ppl gave shelter and protection to terrorist? The war had just begun. Level and kill any living thing in Maiduguri lets 4get about that state. That is not the only state Nigeria has.

7 Likes

Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by tope3x(m): 7:29am On Oct 09, 2012
This Jonathan time is a big problem to Nigeria....i have never read any good news since the beginning of this year,all i read everyday is bad bad news.....I TIRE FOR HIS TIME JARE undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by adino(m): 7:30am On Oct 09, 2012
Boko Haram must hear ween. Up JTF.

@Poster
so your boko rams brothers don dey wear uniform. The same civilians That kill because of Allah. I laff in civilian casualties.

3 Likes

Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by Onyatinu: 7:32am On Oct 09, 2012
the Deputy Governor, Alhaji Zannah Umar Mustapha, said the government would address the situation when the governor, Alhaji Kashim Shettima, who was on a foreign trip to India, Pakistan and Turkey returned homegringringringringringringringringrin. Naijagrin.

2 Likes

Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by Nobody: 7:38am On Oct 09, 2012
Of course they will claim collateral damage.
Nigerias problem is lack of consequences. Fear of the law doesn't exist.Because the law it self doesn't exist either. I am Ijaw and I know what the Nigerian Army is capable of. I don't support Boko Haram or any kind of Armed Militia without a good cause for picking up arms. However I condem in the very strictest sense the murder of innocent people who just happen to be around an area where an IED was detonated. How are we sure it wasn't even detonated remotely? And let's be frank there are instances when some of us did not even know the occupation of our next door neighbour for years.
I have seen the Nigerian Army shoot from kilometers away (Iwofe Road) the day SAIPEM and NNS Pathfinder was attacked by Militants. Anybody walking on the road became a militant by default and was shot.You were lucky if it was your leg they decided to shoot.Odi community is another case on point. Unfortunately, these seeming crimes are not investigated.
My Hausa Brothers claiming Boko,make una avoid war with FGN o! E no dey sweet at all.

1 Like

Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by killuminati(m): 7:39am On Oct 09, 2012
jude33084:

No need Ť☺ insult others here just air your opinion about τhe issue at hand. smiley
yes sir undecided
Re: JTF Kill 30 Civilians In Maiduguri In Reprisal Attacks by codeline(m): 7:42am On Oct 09, 2012
Zx

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How I Will Treat Non-muslims In North – Atiku Reveals Plan To Unite Nigerians / Moment Abdulmumin Jibrin Nominated Femi Gbajabiamila For 9th Reps Speaker / Okorocha: EFCC Is Not A Slaughter House, I was only invited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.