Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,277 members, 7,826,078 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:25 AM

Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency (10634 Views)

APC Leaders Unfair To Tinubu – Akande / The Stupidest Things That Ruined The Jonathan Presidency / PDP Crisis: Mark, Tambuwal Dancing On The Ceiling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by Idokojimmy: 5:58am On Oct 12, 2012
The Presidency on Thursday slammed the leadership of the National Assembly, describing the budget-related criticisms levelled against President Goodluck Jonathan as an attempt to rubbish the 2013 budget proposals.

President Jonathan had presented the proposals to a joint session of the National Assembly on Wednesday. At the budget presentation, Senate President, David Mark, had told President Jonathan that the National Assembly would not be a rubber-stamp legislature. Also, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mallam Aminu Tambuwal, had subtly accused the President of poor implementation of the 2012 budget.

But speaking in Abuja, the Special Assistant to the President on Public Communication, Dr. Doyin Okupe, said it was sad that President Jonathan could be subjected to what he described as a “harrowing experience” during the presentation.

“Normal legislative courtesy demands that such a visitor (President Jonathan) be allowed to perform his constitutional functions without any attempt to rubbish the document that was yet to be discussed even by the members themselves,” he said.

The presidential aide, who stressed that he was speaking for the Presidency, also said it was wrong for the lawmakers to have summoned the President in the manner they did recently.

“My belief is that in the interest of the Nigerian people, for the sake of our masses, the National Assembly and the Executive must of necessity find a common ground on all these issues, instead of unnecessary grandstanding and playing to the gallery, which will not help anybody,” he added.

Rubber-stamp legislature

Okupe said it was wrong for Mark to have the notion that the President merely wanted the two chambers to rubber-stamp the budget proposals.

He said, “The President and his administration do not expect and has never conceived the idea that the National Assembly would just rubber-stamp whatever is presented to it.

“It is quite clear that this is not a high-handed administration and it does not wish in any way to be one. In a healthy democracy, there is useful exchange of ideas and deliberations over various issues of national importance until reasonable agreements are reached.”

Okupe also quarrelled with Mark’s description of the proposal as a “mere estimate”, adding that the description diminished the quality of the budget proposal. “To call these figures as mere estimates is rather unfair.” he said angrily.

The spokesperson also defended his principal against accusation that the 2012 budget was poorly implemented. Okupe said that the budget had been approved in April, adding that under the law, therefore, the budget had just been implemented for five months only.

He said that the President’s explanation on Wednesday that N711.6bn had been expended on capital projects showed that 53 per cent of the budget had been already disbursed in five months.

He, therefore, said that the issue of implementation could not be taken in isolation without considering when the lawmakers passed the budget.

Tambuwal’s speech unfortunate

Commenting on Tambuwal’s remarks at the presentation, Okupe said it was unfortunate that the Speaker veered from giving a vote of thanks into making a speech.

“Some of the issues raised by the Speaker were erroneous. He said that interim oversight reports were clearly unimpressive. This statement cannot be wholesomely acceptable if you look at the background and the reason for which the assemblymen hurriedly packaged (the budget verification) visits,” he said.

He added that it was amazing that the members of the House of Representatives could go round the country in just one week and returned to conclude that budget implementation was poor.

“There are procedures for spending government money.  The time of Father Christmas or flushing of ministries with funds that are irresponsibly expended is over,” he said.

Okupe said the Speaker’s complaint that the Bureau for Public Procurement had become a bottleneck to effective capital budget implementation was unfortunate.

“National revenue should not be altered on the altar of speedy disbursing of money to the MDAs. I do not want to believe that the speaker is saying the control measure should be abrogated,” he said.

The presidential aide described the insistence of the House that government should drop the $75 per barrel benchmark in the budget for an $80 per barrel benchmark as “pure drama.”

Okupe said, “Here is another arm of government, in a dictatorial manner, saying authoritatively, that it has decided that the benchmark shall be $80. One would have expected that he would have explained the parameter with which he got the benchmark.

“You will recall that in 2008 at the peak of oil boom when one barrel of oil was selling for $147, suddenly because of massive global economic downturn the price went to $38 per barrel.”

He named Algeria ($38); Qatar ($55); Venezuela ($50); Saudi ($60); Angola ($77); and Kuwait ($60) as some of the countries with benchmarks lower than Nigeria’s.

“This is not the time to be unduly careless, or reckless about our benchmark. It is time to be conservative.”

House reacts

Reacting to Okupe’s comments, the Speaker of the House of Representatives said that the issues he raised on the budget were backed by facts and figures.

A statement by his Special Assistant, Media and Public Affairs, Mr. Imam Imam, described Okupe as an “ignorant” official, who knew little about the issues at stake.

The statement says, “It is apparent that Okupe is dabbling in areas which he is totally ignorant about. The uncouth manner in which he replied elected representatives showed his apparent lack of respect to the legislature as an institution.

“The entire remarks he made gave him out as an overzealous official doing a hatchet job in order to be relevant in the scheme of things. The Speaker and the House of Representatives will always stand by the tenets of good governance and true representation at all times.”

In a similar vein, the Deputy Chairman, House Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Mr. Victor Ogene, said Okupe was merely seeking relevance.

He said, “For Okupe to seek to denounce this position simply because some other oil producing nations have lower benchmarks of $75 clearly shows how the Nigerian economy is run, in a do–as–I–do fashion.

“On the issue of poor implementation of the capital budget for 2012, which Okupe attributed to non-utilisation of already released votes, there could be no better self-indictment, as all the Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) that ought to execute these projects are all under the Executive branch.

“For the avoidance of doubt – and at the risk of sounding monotonous – Speaker Tambuwal is not on a popularity contest with any official of government. Instead, he embodies the wishes and aspirations of the Nigerian People, and expresses, at every point, only the position of the 360- member House of Representatives.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/mark-tambuwal-unfair-to-jonathan-presidency/

Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by luvinhubby(m): 6:36am On Oct 12, 2012
Labaran Maku referred to their resolutions as 'MERE' & all hell was let loose by David Mark, two weeks after the same David Mark referred to the Executive budget as 'MERE' figures, i think i'll support Okupe on this one.

4 Likes

Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by Idokojimmy: 9:41am On Oct 12, 2012
This is a perfect budget, and as well meaning Nigerians, we expect the NASS to deliberate and pass it immediately. The era of passing budget 5months into a new year and expecting 100% execution within 4months is over. Budget must be passed on time, to give way for speedy completion. GEJ and his team must be commended for the timely presentation. He has done his part, the legislators should do theirs.

4 Likes

Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by Afam4eva(m): 10:02am On Oct 12, 2012
luvinhubby: Labaran Maku referred to their resolutions as 'MERE' & all hell was let loose by David Mark, two weeks after the same David Mark referred to the Executive budget as 'MERE' figures, i think i'll support Okupe on this one.
This labaran Maku guy's mouth runs like a newly commisioned tap in a rural area. I expect him to apologize that he's known for after talking before thinking.
Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by idirect(m): 10:07am On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
This labaran Maku guy's mouth runs like a newly commisioned tap in a rural area. I expect him to apologize that he's known for after talking before thinking.
My thought exactly
Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by pecopeco: 10:09am On Oct 12, 2012
good for them
Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by OmoTier1(m): 10:12am On Oct 12, 2012
Idokojimmy: This is a perfect budget, and as well meaning Nigerians, we expect the NASS to deliberate and pass it immediately. The era of passing budget 5months into a new year and expecting 100% execution within 4months is over. Budget must be passed on time, to give way for speedy completion. GEJ and his team must be commended for the timely presentation. He has done his part, the legislators should do theirs.
Stop deceiving yourself. Budgeting is never Nigeria's problem. IMPLEMENTATION. .simples. The present government led by GEJ does not have the capacity to implement budgets and is a governmrnt of rogues and paddy paddy chop I chop rob belle awuf government. How do expect a Trainee President to be able to implement a technical budget?

1 Like

Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by ifihearam: 10:13am On Oct 12, 2012
This useless mark and tambuwal thinks its business as usual,well Mr president i salute your presidential humility,in a bid to succeed you must swallow certain arrogance from nonentities like mark and his cohorts. if the budget is presented late they will complain,now the president has decided to present it early enough for him to kick start his good plans for Nigerians,you tagged it MERE figures and you called yourselves rubber stamps.

Mark is a very stupid man. but that will not deter us from doing that which we were elected for.

Ride on your excellency,no matter what we face we shall triumph

4 Likes

Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by Idokojimmy: 10:17am On Oct 12, 2012
Omo_Tier1:
Stop deceiving yourself. Budgeting is never Nigeria's problem. IMPLEMENTATION. .simples. The present government led by GEJ does not have the capacity to implement budgets and is a governmrnt of rogues and paddy paddy chop I chop rob belle awuf government. How do expect a Trainee President to be able to implement a technical budget?
Faulty and empty argument based on scanty information. How can a trainee president come up with a technical budget? If you fear implementation, are you not living in Nigeria? Is GEJ not implementing the 2012 budget? Destructive critic. Mtschweeeew

4 Likes

Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by theplanmaker: 10:18am On Oct 12, 2012
Am no fan of Gej but am with him on dis 1. Nass is simply angry with gej, since d constituency allowance tin. Its not about d budget at all, nd ȋ̝̊̅ tink okupe did a nice job

2 Likes

Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by luvinhubby(m): 10:22am On Oct 12, 2012
The national assembly is MYOPIC , more concerned with spending most of your earning than saving more of your income.
I support Ngozi & GEJ on the $75 benchmark...was thinking of lower. We have to learn from others experience and not wait to have ours first. Nigerias economy would have collapsed 3yrs ago if not for excess crude account, now they are saying budget all crude income & spend it so that the senators & reps will have more money to increase their allowances, pay off Bankole's loans & fund the so called constituency projects promised by them during campaign (as if they were running for local govt. Chairmanship).
David Mark & Tambuwal shud know that Legislative input into budgets without the presidents signature accent is nothing but mere LEGISLATED PAPERS.

2 Likes

Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by usmanyaro17: 10:23am On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
he has winced apologized.,the National Assembly has its different grieves only the wise can discern that...
Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by maclatunji: 10:25am On Oct 12, 2012
How can any genuinely patriotic Nigerian complain about Tambuwal's wonderfully crafted speech on the day of the 2013 budget presentation to the National Assembly? You've got to be kidding me. David Mark's comment is not even worth addressing because he is GEJ's No.1 crony when it comes to running the country. He only made the minimum comment expected of him in the face of very poor performance of GEJ's government in terms of budget implementation and overall performance.

1 Like

Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by usmanyaro17: 10:26am On Oct 12, 2012
Omo_Tier1:
The National Assembly is just angry because monies are not released to them they way want,u think they are ranting for nothing?all ways for Ghana must go are blocked what do you expect?
Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by Idokojimmy: 10:27am On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
This man is not intone with happenings oooooo. For your info, Maku was forced to apologized and he did.
But objective analysts know that Maku never did anything wrong. The man said the resolution of the house is not an act and consequently has no binding effect on the president. He saw it as an advise from the legislators to the president. VERY SIMPLE AND SELF EXPLANATORY. WHATS THE PROBLEM WITH THIS?
Is resolution a law? Is the president compelled by the constitution to obey all resolution of the house? Isn't there a provision for executive power/ veto power?
People fear the truth. The sooner we begin to accept the truth as it is, the better for us all.

2 Likes

Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by killuminati(m): 10:31am On Oct 12, 2012
ifihearam: This useless mark and tambuwal thinks its business as usual,well Mr president i salute your presidential humility,in a bid to succeed you must swallow certain arrogance from nonentities like mark and his cohorts. if the budget is presented late they will complain,now the president has decided to present it early enough for him to kick start his good plans for Nigerians,you tagged it MERE figures and you called yourselves rubber stamps.

Mark is a very stupid man. but that will not deter us from doing that which we were elected for.

if I hear....
Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by Nobody: 10:32am On Oct 12, 2012
ifihearam: This useless mark and tambuwal thinks its business as usual,well Mr president i salute your presidential humility,in a bid to succeed you must swallow certain arrogance from nonentities like mark and his cohorts. if the budget is presented late they will complain,now the president has decided to present it early enough for him to kick start his good plans for Nigerians,you tagged it MERE figures and you called yourselves rubber stamps.

U talk sense brodah. They arnt getin d usual patronages. Most of dem went to d national assembly to do business and pursue contractz and it seemz datz nt d ball-game any longer, hence their noise making. They are all selfish people in d national assembly. Am very sure if dat guy (dt took bribe frm otedola) wx ther, his voice would av soard higher.. And we wont knw dey are speaking on behalf of their pocketz & familiez instead of their constituentz and nigerianz..!

1 Like

Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by Caseless: 10:35am On Oct 12, 2012
usmanyaro17: The National Assembly is just angry because monies are not released to them they way want,u think they are ranting for nothing?all ways for Ghana must go are blocked what do you expect?
we're talkin of non-implementation of budget and and u'r talkin of 'ghana must go' or constituency allowance. If u dont like what d house leaders said, u can just relocate to AALU community for all they care. Smh!
Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by Nobody: 10:40am On Oct 12, 2012
luvinhubby: Labaran Maku referred to their resolutions as 'MERE' & all hell was let loose by David Mark, two weeks after the same David Mark referred to the Executive budget as 'MERE' figures, i think i'll support Okupe on this one.
on point bro. Its obvious these lawmakers hav little respect 4 Jonathan.i don't blame though,he hasn't earned it.

1 Like

Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by ayox2003: 10:43am On Oct 12, 2012

Seconded.

I have come realise that the NASS is the greatest enemy we have after PDP. They criticise the president for non-implementation of the budget while they don't do anything in their constituencies.

They wanted $80 per barrel. Why? When the demand for oil is very bearish. Recession is lurking and the price of oil might just crash anytime coupled with the excess supply we have all over the world.

Obviously they want to enrich themselves. They should account for their constituencies first before talking about budgets.

Pot calling the kettle black.

Frawzey

1 Like

Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by Demdem(m): 10:44am On Oct 12, 2012
If being truthful is regarded as unfair by the presidency then i think the presidency has a problem.
Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by kennytidistar(m): 10:45am On Oct 12, 2012
na ghana must go dem deey find bunch of rogues and robbers. mtchew. no business as usual
Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by Idokojimmy: 10:48am On Oct 12, 2012
The wind of transformation will blow down all enemies of growth and national development. GBAJABIAMILA, Hembe, Farouk, and the rest. Okeyyyyyyyyyyyyy, na this thing still the vex them oooooooooooo. GEJ too the exposé them. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by Demdem(m): 10:50am On Oct 12, 2012
Idokojimmy: This is a perfect budget, and as well meaning Nigerians, we expect the NASS to deliberate and pass it immediately. The era of passing budget 5months into a new year and expecting 100% execution within 4months is over. Budget must be passed on time, to give way for speedy completion. GEJ and his team must be commended for the timely presentation. He has done his part, the legislators should do theirs.

I commend the Retardeen for presenting the budget early this time around. however, u need to be educated as regards 2012 budget. the NASS werent responsible for the late passage. The executives were. Apportion blame adequately, i dont like the NASS either but lets be truthfull here.

Demdem:

the retardeen submitted 2012 budget proposals Dec 2011

http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/nvnews/77539/1/gej-presents-n4749t-2012-budget-as-nass-demands-fu.html

the NASS finished work on the budget by march 2012 (national holidays in between ooooo)

http://www.ynaija.com/n4-88-trillion-national-assembly-passes-2012-budget/

The retardeen finally signs the budget to law April 2012 exactly a month when NASS completed their work.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/43000-jonathan-signs-2012-budget-trims-spending.html

Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by chemashie(m): 10:53am On Oct 12, 2012
afam4eva:
Guy u bad gan o...
Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by james1(m): 10:53am On Oct 12, 2012
Imagine D mark,a man who has an history of unguarded speeches on this one again;they are undermining the president and that's very bad.
Mark is working out modalties for 2015 presidential elections and these are some of the ways he intends going about it,what a shame.smh.
They shout of budget implentation;the president has given out all instructions,the federal ministers carry out the instructions,why does the NASS instead of surmoning the ministers rush to blame the president who has been working real hard to ensure we get the real dividends of democracy?

1 Like

Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by Sealeddeal(m): 10:54am On Oct 12, 2012
They(NASS) are really trying to use GEJ humility to pursue their own political interest. I support Okupe on this issue.
Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by killuminati(m): 10:56am On Oct 12, 2012
caseless: we're talkin of non-implementation of budget and and u'r talkin of 'ghana must go' or constituency allowance. If u dont like what d house leaders said, u can just relocate to AALU community for all they care. Smh!
hahahaha, make e go choorrlu for aluu abi?
Guy you wicked Ooo!
Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by kenmusa: 10:56am On Oct 12, 2012
For Nigeria to grow, we need a very strong and dynamic NASS. And I think they are trying to become one. They must be checks and balances in the system. I do not know why some people are always angry whenever the Presidency is being criticized no matter how constructive it is. Dr Okupe is one man who is attention seeker. He is so corrupt that he was among the first set of govt officials sacked by former president Obasanjo in the early stage of his administration. I am surprised that he has returned to govt so soon

2 Likes

Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by Louis88: 10:57am On Oct 12, 2012
By now all of you should know that NASS is very resentful to the presidency because some of them there have been there for like the past ten years,and they are used to being pampered and given preferential treatments and their choice of contracts,so it is very painful to them for this president and his minister of finance to just come and change everything on them,Jonathan forced the ciil servants to stop patronising the legislators,so no more cash gifts and co are coming their way again,especially as budget lobbying was once big business for them,why does Mark have to say that estimates that some individuals have put sleepless nights into mere figures.let them better just pass this budget for us,I can't shout.

1 Like

Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by Nobody: 10:58am On Oct 12, 2012
grin

1 Like

Re: Mark, Tambuwal Unfair To Jonathan - Presidency by ProfSule(m): 11:00am On Oct 12, 2012
The should go to help! criminals!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Imo Guber Election, Official Results / Gov. Ugwuanyi Joins Priests To Bid Late Fr. Offu Farewell / Aregbesola Orders Prison Officers To Shoot Attackers On Sight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.