Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,443 members, 7,812,333 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:51 AM

Experienced Mothers In The House - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Experienced Mothers In The House (48935 Views)

Question To All D Mothers In D House Is Dis Ryt??? (photo) / Do Mothers-In-law Have A Say In Wedding Preparation? / Why Do Some Mothers-In-law Always Maltreat Their Daughters-In-laws? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Experienced Mothers In The House by Tinu4real(f): 11:31am On Oct 14, 2012
Could someone pls tell me what i can use to clear the white spots on baby's skin known in yoruba as 'ela'. I would really appreciate your contributions,thanks.
Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by Nobody: 1:36pm On Oct 14, 2012
Clotrimazole anti fungal cream twice a day.
Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by Nobody: 1:58pm On Oct 14, 2012

1 Like

Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by Tinu4real(f): 4:57pm On Oct 14, 2012
@ilobatojo,thanks for the suggestion.@chaircover,would do so this week at our next appointment. I do appreciate your response.
Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by Mowire: 5:25pm On Oct 14, 2012
You should have added "and Fathers" to the title: Some of us (fathers) know as much about these baby things as the mothers, if not more in some cases!
lol

2 Likes

Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by Nobody: 5:28pm On Oct 14, 2012
Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by dominique(f): 6:09pm On Oct 14, 2012
If you want to go for the unorthordox solution
There's this plant with orange/pinkish leaves (called 'ewe lapalapa'I think ) . That's what I used for my son when he was in similar situation.
Once the leaves are dried enough, you boil and use it to bath your baby. I used it along side funbactA cream and sheabutter. Worked well for me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by Nobody: 6:58pm On Oct 14, 2012
Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by Nobody: 8:22pm On Oct 14, 2012
Ela is not eczema. It's pityriasis versicolor.
Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by Nobody: 8:24pm On Oct 14, 2012
Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by zayhal(f): 8:33pm On Oct 14, 2012
Eczema in Yoruba is IFO
Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by zayhal(f): 8:39pm On Oct 14, 2012
@dominique

I do not think funbact A is suitable for babies and children. Though a lot of people use it these days and testify that it works well, that does not mean it is good for babies' tender skin. Please confirm with your baby's doctor before using it next time. I think even adults have to use it sparingly.

@topic

Sudocream or antifungal cream containing clotrimazole should work for your baby. That is most likely what your doctor will recommend. But like chaircover said, it's best to let the baby's ddoctor have a look at the skin and give a proper diagnosis.

2 Likes

Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by obasijoy(f): 9:40pm On Oct 14, 2012
Take your baby to hospital let they doctor give antibiotic injection for three days. It will help kill they once inside. You also buy clamocin antibiotic and mix it properly and give him for seven days. Buy visita plus and use it on his body. It will clear before 3 days.
Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by Nobody: 12:32am On Oct 15, 2012
It's best to see the baby's doctor for prescription before you attempt anything prescribed here, he'll likely give you cortisone 10% (or increase it) and please avoid any perfumed moisturizer / petroleum jelly, the baby's skin might be irritated from these things. Take care smiley
Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by Nobody: 1:45am On Oct 15, 2012
@ OP. Ela/pityriasis versicolor is a fungal infection of the skin. The treatment is generally anti fungal preparations applied to the skin. Antibiotics will NOT work because it is not a bacterial infection. Any doctor that prescribes antibiotics for Ela should be dumped immediately.

Also, in general please never administer oral antibiotics without a recommendation from a doctor.

Cortisone/steroid creams are a bad idea for Ela as well. They could make it worse and could change the appearance making it harder for a doctor to figure out what it is.

More info on pityriasis versicolor http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tinea-versicolor/DS00635

You could use google images for more pictures to see if it looks like your baby's rash. If it looks like it, then clotrimazole is a pretty mild, safe and effective medication. There is pretty much no downside to trying it unless you inadvertently buy a fake one that contains other stuff. My sister had ela and that's what she used whenever it came on. If it does not look like those images, then it is probably not ela and is something else.

If you are still confused, please just take the baby to a doctor. Absolutely nothing wrong with having a professional look at it and give you answers.

1 Like

Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by Tinu4real(f): 8:16am On Oct 15, 2012
@everyone,thanks for your contribution. It's definitely ela,would apply sudocrem on it to see it's effect as i already have one which I use for her to prevent diaper rash.
Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by Nobody: 8:45am On Oct 15, 2012
Most at times,babies who on the big side do have ela.it could be fatal as well if not treated properly specially through the anus.when my son had it I went to an Alagbo who gave him herbs which he drank and it healed it.
If your child's own is not severe,you can use Fungbact cream or Ytacan.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by obasijoy(f): 9:45am On Oct 15, 2012
@ berem you are right. but one thing about about ytacan is, it will go and come back again. let her use visita plus or tribotan. visita plus is antifugal, antibacterial, and anti...., tribotan has different types; you can buy the baby second stage one. its more active on kids and heals easily though it has menthol. @Tinul4real, sudocream doesn't heal like that unless you want your baby to have ela. just act fast before it enters his hair and eat them off.
Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by deybowlah: 9:53am On Oct 15, 2012
Baby tribotan is also very good. It has the same composition as finbactA and ytacan but a milder version for babies.You should ask at the pharmacy for the baby tribotan and not the real tribotan. It works so well for Ella and diaper rash and heat rash.
There is also another infection called "ale fo " in yoruba. Its a bacteria infection and my doctor recommended batroban or altargo cream, it worked like magic
Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by ebonyjoy1(f): 3:04pm On Oct 15, 2012
TRAVOCORT CREAM . Miracle worker. 2 days tops
Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by Mowire: 4:26pm On Oct 16, 2012
OK: mothers are still here & there on the solution, can a father ve a say(?).
Fungbact did it for my son. The thing almost got out of hand til I told my wife to stop using all the "familiar" remedies that were recommended to us by "older mothers" (some made it worse) & we took him to see Dr.
We've had to suggest same cream to my her SIL 2ce with perfect result.
But still see ur Dr.
Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by dominique(f): 10:38am On Oct 17, 2012
@Zayhal
my bad, i also wouldnt recommend using the fungbact cream directly on babys delicate skin. i should have mentioned the proportion of the funbact to the shea butter. I mixed about 80% ori with 20%fungbact cream. And i bathed him with him the herbs i mentioned, some people even suggested i should give him a few drops to drink daily cos it also works from within but i couldn't. Bathing him with it worked well enough.
@CC
i'm not sure exactly what the shrub is called but it works on a wide range of skin infections including ella. The leaves are pretty colourful- orange, pinkish, greenish like that. Worked well for my dad when he had stubborn rashes at the back of his neck. Since then the shrub has been a permanent fixture at my parents house. I will upload pictures next time i go visiting.
Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by Tinu4real(f): 11:53am On Oct 17, 2012
Thank you so much everyone. I really appreciate the response.The irritation(ela) is of a mild form. We've been to the hospital and baby tribotan was recommended for use. Patiently waiting to see it's effect,would keep everyone updated on how it goes. Thanks once again.
Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by phillipsshade: 10:18pm On Oct 09, 2013
Dominique pls wat is d name of d shrub u talkd about.my babys got ella nd av tried all d above mentioned creams
Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by ladyju(f): 11:10pm On Oct 09, 2013
When it happened to my baby d Paediatrician prescribed tribotan baby and hydrocortisone cream. I used the hydrocortisone for not more than two weeks cos it contain (I've forgotten what d Paediatrician said it contains). I rubbed it on him twice a day.
Re: Experienced Mothers In The House by CharmyBliz: 11:43am On Feb 07, 2015
Pls mommies in da house.....am a first tym mum and I need help wit my 7 weeks LO. My baby had heat raash nd I used funbact A mixd wit rash cream and it dried up. The area wher I applied d cream is nw yellow and d rashes gone. How can I change dat area to his normal dark color? Should I continue using the cream on it?

(1) (Reply)

I Discovered That My Wife Has Been Cheating On Me: What Should I Do? / Dear Mothers, Stop Bleaching Your Baby's Skin. / My Wife Sleeps With My Brother - Husband Tells Judge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.