Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:50 PM

Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? (16802 Views)

Can A Born Again Give A Head During Sex? / Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? / How Can One Identify A True Born Again Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by DTalented(m): 10:42pm On Oct 21, 2012
I think understanding the meaning of "CHRISTIANITY" will help in answering this question.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Nobody: 10:49pm On Oct 21, 2012
Image123: Luke 3:14 And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.
there is nothing wrong with being a soldier. Every Christian ought to be a soldier as it were. but like in all professions, the Christian's actions, inactions and decisions should be guided/led by God. A Christian soldier should not be oppressive or fight a wrong cause. every Christian has a mandate to disobey ungodly orders, whether you're a soldier or a pope.

That verse, Luke 3:14 talks of John the Baptist preaching to different folks including soldiers. It's no proof that Christians can be soldiers. History clearly shows the early Christians didn't join the military or converts who were soldiers remained such and were involved in warfare.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by tonyicez: 11:01pm On Oct 21, 2012
my own take will b yes. If i understand the major role of d soldier is to defend the country. so a born again person can join d army to defend d country spiritually. Afteral, nt al solder fight in a war. some serve as doc. etc
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by GENERAL7(m): 11:38pm On Oct 21, 2012
Yes n will only kill once in a while
dopeJemi: Now this is something i was reasoning today at church,

Can a born again christian be in the army

we all know that armies kill in d process of fighting war

It was in the bible that 'thou shall not kill'

So I wanna know if a christian can be in the army

Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by odoguigbo: 11:57pm On Oct 21, 2012
Yes ofcourse! That's of christ!!!
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by EASY32: 1:08am On Oct 22, 2012
Soldiers kill themselves even if they belong to the same faith or even brothers on the opposite side. We already know they kill with orders from their commandants. So why join to kill as to obey a command?. The Bible and christ does not teach this?
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Image123(m): 1:50am On Oct 22, 2012
TroGunn:

That verse, Luke 3:14 talks of John the Baptist preaching to different folks including soldiers. It's no proof that Christians can be soldiers. History clearly shows the early Christians didn't join the military or converts who were soldiers remained such and were involved in warfare.
you're talking 'history', I'm talking Scripture. Neither John, Jesus or the apostles condemned soldiers. instead what we see are passages that pass off christians as soldiers who should always put on the whole armor and wrestle.

1 Like

Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by purplekayc(m): 11:28am On Oct 22, 2012
What a question?? cheesy tongue
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by ujuirene(f): 12:04pm On Oct 22, 2012
Born again Christian can be a soldier, because soldier is a profession just like a Lawyer, Doctor, etc.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Oct 22, 2012
Image123:
you're talking 'history', I'm talking Scripture. Neither John, Jesus or the apostles condemned soldiers. instead what we see are passages that pass off christians as soldiers who should always put on the whole armor and wrestle.

According to the scriptures, neither did they endorse Christians to kill others under any guise. History shows "how" they actually behaved. Christians are to imitate the example of Christ and the apostles.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Image123(m): 3:41pm On Oct 22, 2012
TroGunn:

According to the scriptures, neither did they endorse Christians to kill others under any guise. History shows "how" they actually behaved. Christians are to imitate the example of Christ and the apostles.
can a christian be a policeman then?
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by gsalvatore: 6:21pm On Oct 22, 2012
A Wise Christian is always a Soldier.
He is never Brainwashed and he knows what to do and what needs to be done.
YeS! A born again christian can be a soldier.
If christian during the crusade era where Hypocrites, believe me we wouldn't have even known what christianity is talkless of confusing yourself with the silly question of "can a born again christian be a soldier?" But born again christians can worship in a place protected. by pagan abi? Or if an intruder comes into your house and threatens your family and tries to rape your wife and daughter and You(Born again) got the chance to. Waste them,I guess you will start preaching "Love thy neigbor" to them huh?

What most So called born again christians don't know is that God won't only judge your actions but also your Inactions. So failing to do what's neccessary cos you are hiding under the skirts of "born again" is also a sin likewise failing to defend yourself from attack.
BTW, what happened to this lines" the badguys prevail becos the gudguys fail to do something". With this. Kinda mentality Christaindom would have been a mere Footnote in the history books.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Oct 22, 2012
Image123:
can a christian be a policeman then?

A Christian may serve in the police in a role that doesn't involve killing. It is not a Christian's duty to repair the current world's kingdoms/nations -he/she can't anyway. A Christian obeys the laws of the land ( that does not conflict with God's, of course), pays taxes, and lives a Christian life, leaving God to repair things in His due time through His Kingdom.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Oct 22, 2012
gsalvatore: A Wise Christian is always a Soldier.
He is never Brainwashed and he knows what to do and what needs to be done.
YeS! A born again christian can be a soldier.
If christian during the crusade era where Hypocrites, believe me we wouldn't have even known what christianity is talkless of confusing yourself with the silly question of "can a born again christian be a soldier?" But born again christians can worship in a place protected. by pagan abi? Or if an intruder comes into your house and threatens your family and tries to rape your wife and daughter and You(Born again) got the chance to. Waste them,I guess you will start preaching "Love thy neigbor" to them huh?

What most So called born again christians don't know is that God won't only judge your actions but also your Inactions. So failing to do what's neccessary cos you are hiding under the skirts of "born again" is also a sin likewise failing to defend yourself from attack.
BTW, what happened to this lines" the badguys prevail becos the gudguys fail to do something". With this. Kinda mentality Christaindom would have been a mere Footnote in the history books.

You assume God is powerless to fight his battles and need Christians to disobey his laws ( not to kill) to carry our His purposes. Was it not during the same period of the Crusades that the architects of the Crusades were killing people for reading, translating or possessing the Bible through The Inquisition? Today the Bible is everywhere. Humans can't fight God's battles, definitely not by disobeying him. God ask you not to kill- which the Apostles adhered to and for which they were martyred, else they would have fought. God can't then judge you for not killing.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Lilcyl(m): 8:34pm On Oct 23, 2012
ujuirene: Born again Christian can be a soldier, because soldier is a profession just like a Lawyer, Doctor, etc.

people shud jus b wise christians by avoidin professions dat wud involve breakn God's commandment.. Lawyers(liars), Soldier(killing)..etc..
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Oct 23, 2012
yes yes yes
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Image123(m): 1:31pm On Oct 24, 2012
TroGunn:

A Christian may serve in the police in a role that doesn't involve killing. It is not a Christian's duty to repair the current world's kingdoms/nations -he/she can't anyway. A Christian obeys the laws of the land ( that does not conflict with God's, of course), pays taxes, and lives a Christian life, leaving God to repair things in His due time through His Kingdom.
Your advice is good, but still the Bible does not condemn a soldier or tell christians not to be soldiers. Soldiers came to John, the greatest man that ever lived. Soldiers came to Jesus, Peter went to a soldier. None was told that it is wrong to be a soldier. Christians can be involved in peace making, and many times, peace making involves punishing offenders and criminals. It's not about repairing kingdoms. Not all soldiers get to kill BTW. And we have many nigerian policemen who have killed more than many soldiers, and tortured more innocent people than even many criminals. In the end, each individual should be led by the Spirit of God in their various profession and decision. One can still sin even as a priest.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by BARRISTERS: 3:54pm On Oct 24, 2012
@image123
Your advice is good, but still the Bible does not condemn a soldier or tell christians not to be soldiers. Soldiers came to John, the greatest man that ever lived. Soldiers came to Jesus, Peter went to a soldier. None was told that it is wrong to be a soldier. Christians can be involved in peace making, and many times, peace making involves punishing offenders and criminals. It's not about repairing kingdoms. Not all soldiers get to kill BTW. And we have many nigerian policemen who have killed more than many soldiers, and tortured more innocent people than even many criminals. In the end, each individual should be led by the Spirit of God in their various profession and decision. One can still sin even as a priest.
lie!!!

When jesus was going to be unjustly arrested and one of those with Jesus cut off the ear of a slave of the high priest,
“then Jesus said to him: ‘Return your sword to its place,[size=14pt] for all those who take the sword will perish by the sword. Or do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father to supply me at this moment more than twelve legions of angels?’” [/size](Matt. 26:52, 53) Thus, although he had the opportunity to call for the aid of at least 60,000 angels, he continued to exercise self-control.

Micah 4:3
3 He shall judge between many peoples,
And rebuke strong nations afar off;
They shall beat their swords into plowshares,
And their spears into pruning hooks;
Nation shall not lift up sword against nation,
[size=14pt]Neither shall they learn war anymore[/size].

Lastly
TRUE Christians listen and obey the words of Jesus. At Matt. 5:44, he said:

"However, I say to you: Continue to love your enemies and to pray for those persecuting you."

2 Likes

Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by BARRISTERS: 3:57pm On Oct 24, 2012
As usual, many priests commits crimes in leading war,blessing weapons to kill their christian brothers in another land, Do you think God is happy with these;

Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Boomark(m): 10:54am On Oct 26, 2012
ujuirene: Born again Christian can be a soldier, because soldier is a profession just like a Lawyer, Doctor, etc.

Soldier is a profession of what? Describe what the do.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by swiftycool(m): 6:36am On Oct 31, 2012
Please beware of people who skillfully twist passages or stories in the bible especially some pastors to justify their evil deeds against fellow men. Any profession that is involved in exterminating precious life given by God for a purpose is evil and should be avoided.

How do you explain the soldiers who fought and killed thousands during the Biafran war? Dropping bombs to wipe out comunities just because they decided they wanted their independence from the nation. Who was the enemy in this case? And what exactly was being defended or was the reasson 4 attack?
Most of the millions killed were christians killed equally by christians who hitherto might have even been co-church members.

Joining the army is wrong 4 a christian Chikena!
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Image123(m): 2:21pm On Oct 31, 2012
lack of knowledge and exposure, well, Christ is the ultimate prize and hopefully, you have Him.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Nobody: 4:22pm On Oct 31, 2012
Don't know about "Christian"
but a man of faith (in God) could be though it depends on what he is fighting for.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Oct 31, 2012
Image123: Luke 3:14 And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.
there is nothing wrong with being a soldier. Every Christian ought to be a soldier as it were. but like in all professions, the Christian's actions, inactions and decisions should be guided/led by God. A Christian soldier should not be oppressive or fight a wrong cause. every Christian has a mandate to disobey ungodly orders, whether you're a soldier or a pope.

That verse does not imply Jesus ok'ed their profession. It just means he preached to different people including soldiers. And he pointedly told them to "Do violence to no man".

You said "every Christian has a mandate to disobey ungodly orders". What is so godly about the wars waged by nations, usually over selfish "national" interest? How would say, a Nigerian christian killing a Camerounian christian over Bakassi penisula be godly, both of them supposedly worshipping same God ?
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Image123(m): 5:06pm On Oct 31, 2012
TroGunn:

That verse does not imply Jesus ok'ed their profession. It just means he preached to different people including soldiers. And he pointedly told them to "Do violence to no man".

You said "every Christian has a mandate to disobey ungodly orders". What is so godly about the wars waged by nations, usually over selfish "national" interest? How would say, a Nigerian christian killing a Camerounian christian over Bakassi penisula be godly, both of them supposedly worshipping same God ?
I'm talking real life, not assumptions. Not every soldier gets to go to war. Like nigerian soldiers have not had to be involved in war for nigeria for more than 30 years now. There is a percentage that goes for peace keeping from time to time. Peace keeping soldiers try to ensue peace in foreign lands by trying to bring rebels, miscreants and sedition movers to judgement. Peace has a price, and when Jesus comes, He would bring peace with a huge price. One should however not engage in ungodly actions whether you are a soldier or a jobless fellow, or a student. There are many nigerian students who wreck more havoc than many a soldier.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Boomark(m): 5:29pm On Oct 31, 2012
Image123:
I'm talking real life, not assumptions. Not every soldier gets to go to war. Like nigerian soldiers have not had to be involved in war for nigeria for more than 30 years now. There is a percentage that goes for peace keeping from time to time. Peace keeping soldiers try to ensue peace in foreign lands by trying to bring rebels, miscreants and sedition movers to judgement. Peace has a price, and when Jesus comes, He would bring peace with a huge price. One should however not engage in ungodly actions whether you are a soldier or a jobless fellow, or a student. There are many nigerian students who wreck more havoc than many a soldier.

What would be your advice to Christian US soldiers who are currently involved in war?
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Image123(m): 8:02pm On Oct 31, 2012
Boomark:

What would be your advice to Christian US soldiers who are currently involved in war?
what's yours?
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Boomark(m): 8:48am On Nov 01, 2012
Image123:
what's yours?

Is the question hard to answer?

Christians should not join the army. That would be my advice to Christians before, during and after a war.

So tell us your own.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Image123(m): 4:02pm On Nov 01, 2012
Is the question hard to answer?

Christians should not join the army. That would be my advice to Christians before, during and after a war.

So tell us your own.
Wanted to know your view, so that you are not sitting on the fence where you can fall and break a bone. My advice to christian US soldiers in war.

Luk 3:14 And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.
They should not collect or extort money or goods from anyone by force, they should not torture people or FALSELY accuse anybody. These are traits of the soldiers and police in all time, and in places where they are not restrained or cautioned. The christian soldier should not be like his worldly counterparts or colleagues as they involve themselves in drunkeness, drugs, r.ape, debaucheries and partyings. That's my advice to them, and also that they do all things in the fear of the Lord and in expectation of the coming King Jesus.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Boomark(m): 4:42pm On Nov 01, 2012
Image123:
Wanted to know your view, so that you are not sitting on the fence where you can fall and break a bone. My advice to christian US soldiers in war.

Luk 3:14 And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.
They should not collect or extort money or goods from anyone by force, they should not torture people or FALSELY accuse anybody. These are traits of the soldiers and police in all time, and in places where they are not restrained or cautioned. The christian soldier should not be like his worldly counterparts or colleagues as they involve themselves in drunkeness, drugs, r.ape, debaucheries and partyings. That's my advice to them, and also that they do all things in the fear of the Lord and in expectation of the coming King Jesus.

Are you now becoming phariseeish? Christ said woe unto them. Though your advice is good but dodging weightier matters.

Do violence to no man! let me ask you again this way.
Can Christian US soldiers involved in war kill their fellow man?
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Image123(m): 5:38pm On Nov 01, 2012
Are you now becoming phariseeish? Christ said woe unto them. Though your advice is good but dodging weightier matters.

Do violence to no man! let me ask you again this way.
Can Christian US soldiers involved in war kill their fellow man?
A soldier can kill under lawful authority. He can't go home can kill his wife or neighbour, or go out and start shooting others. But as a law enforcement agent, if the sentence is death and proven so, he can kill. The law told the Israelites not to kill and the understood it in its proper context. Little David killed Goliath, the enemy of God's people. God helped him in the wars also.

Rom 13:3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
Rom 13:4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
Rom 13:6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
Rom 13:7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honor to whom honor.

No one is to take law into his hands but to submit them to divinely approved authority. That's why people report things to the judges and the police and other law ENFORCEMENT agents.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Ubenedictus(m): 5:54pm On Nov 01, 2012

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Powerful Inspirational Quotes @ Shiloh 2013 - Exceeding Grace / Accessing The Divine Killing Anointing By Dr D.k Olukoya - Written Sermon / All Things You Want In Your Life Already Exist And Is Within You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.