Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,396 members, 7,815,860 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? (16800 Views)

Can A Born Again Give A Head During Sex? / Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? / How Can One Identify A True Born Again Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Boomark(m): 10:41pm On Nov 01, 2012
Image123:
A soldier can kill under lawful authority. He can't go home can kill his wife or neighbour, or go out and start shooting others. But as a law enforcement agent, if the sentence is death and proven so, he can kill. The law told the Israelites not to kill and the understood it in its proper context. Little David killed Goliath, the enemy of God's people. God helped him in the wars also.

Rom 13:3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
Rom 13:4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
Rom 13:6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
Rom 13:7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honor to whom honor.

No one is to take law into his hands but to submit them to divinely approved authority. That's why people report things to the judges and the police and other law ENFORCEMENT agents.

And also kill whom to kill.

To kill by whose authority? Christ said do violence to no man and your divinely approved authority said kill. You choose to disobey Christ and do something worse than violence by obeying your divinely approved authority. A thing that will adversely affect your fellow man's wife, children and family.

Besides who told you that the people they kill are Gods enemy? Whose cause are they fighting for? God or man? Christians killing Christians. Abi US Christian soldiers are the ones for God while the other ones are His enemies?

You guys need serious deliverance. Modern Pharisees.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by ijawkid(m): 12:12am On Nov 02, 2012
Boomark:

And also kill whom to kill.

To kill by whose authority? Christ said do violence to no man and your divinely approved authority said kill. You choose to disobey Christ and do something worse than violence by obeying your divinely approved authority. A thing that will adversely affect your fellow man's wife, children and family.

Besides who told you that the people they kill are Gods enemy? Whose cause are they fighting for? God or man? Christians killing Christians. Abi US Christian soldiers are the ones for God while the other ones are His enemies?

You guys need serious deliverance. Modern Pharisees.

Good work bro......
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Boomark(m): 8:44am On Nov 02, 2012
ijawkid:

Good work bro......

Thanks dear.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by ijawkid(m): 8:56am On Nov 02, 2012
Boomark:

Thanks dear.

I wonder whose war they are fighting....

For there nations right??nations that will all pass away and be smashed to pieces when Christ returns.....

The civil war in nigeria saw that christians kill christians.......they quickly forget that they should be preaching Gods kingdom like Jesus did and beating there swords into plow shares......

Then after fighting or going to war,what happens?? More wars and violence ensues.....

They forget to read revelations that talks about how God will throw war mongers and those who orchestrate wars and those who fight wars into the lake of fire.......

3 Likes

Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Boomark(m): 3:04pm On Nov 05, 2012
Where are the pharisees?

Those that choose to obey divinely approved authorities and disobey Christ.

Our president will asked you to kill for him and you will do it because he has divine approval.

DO VIOLENCE TO NO MAN.
This is where it ends. And the big answer is NO.
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by kreamstaff: 9:53pm On Nov 10, 2012
GBAM!
ijawkid:

I wonder whose war they are fighting....

They forget to read revelations that talks about how God will throw war mongers and those who orchestrate wars and those who fight wars into the lake of fire.......

Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by eckersley: 8:12pm On Oct 13, 2014

Kindly read to the end. I know this is a long one
Thanks

I think this will be a more comprehensive question

Should a christian be in the ARMED FORCES?
Not just in the army

Jehovah witnesses [JW] and some Christians will tell you HELL NO

I'll not buttress my point with an Old testament citation
becos I can hear ppl already saying,
That na old testament
[But the Old Testament is as valid as the New- A topic for another day]

Romans 2:22
You who say that one should not commit adultery, do you commit adultery?
You who abhor idols, do you rob temples?

In order words you should NOT practice double standards

i.e If u stand against something, u shd do so in TOTALITY
If u will not ask participate in an abortion or ask a girl/boy to
do so, why will u make a contribution when asked for money for an abortion

What I'm saying is this, if a JW or some christian will not participate in the armed forces
'Fine.'
But why would you call for help from someone in the armed forces
when u hear/notice an intruder in ur compound?
Or when faced with a security threat?

Why would you employ their services in your business, marriage, during a
church service etc.
ITS AMOUNTS TO HYPOCRISY [hell bound]

if u hate idols, you should not rob one for the gold in it;
you should not benefit from a service you spurn/kick against

POINT 2
----------
Whenever a sinner comes to God for salvation/miracle, he was always told to desist from the SIN[s]
that is/are obstacles to his serving God/miracles

Luke 3:14
Some soldiers were questioning him, saying, "And what about us, what shall we do[ to have eternal life]?
[size=13pt]John the baptist didn't say, Resign from the army[/size]

Matthew 19.16
Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?"
[Jesus replied] If you want to enter life, keep the commandments."

20"All these I have kept," the young man said. "What do I still lack?"

21Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor,
and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

NOTE:
THIS PASSAGE TELLS US THAT YOU CAN KEEP THE 10 COMMANDMENTS AND NOT STILL MAKE ETERNAL LIFE
BECAUSE OF AN IMPEDIMENT AND JESUS RIGHTLY[b] POINTED THIS OUT
[/b]
The impediment for THIS PARTICULAR MAN [not all Christians] was his riches
Note: Dorcas in the New Testament was rich [but her riches weren't an impediment to her Christianity]

ALL THROUGHOUT THE BIBLE, ANY impediment to a believer's Christianity is always pointed out
to that Christian

EXAMPLE 2
---------
Remember Jesus will always point out any sin to sinners
before or after performing a miracle by saying,
Go and sin no more or by some other method

Matthew 8;8-12
But the centurion said, "Lord...just say the word, and my servant will be healed.
10 Now when Jesus heard this, He marveled and said to those who were following,
"Truly I say to you, I have not found such great faith with anyone in Israel.

The centurion's faith was commended,
BUT HIS SERVICE IN THE MILITARY WAS NOT CONDEMNED.
If that was a problem, Jesus would have CLEARLY SAID SO

EXAMPLE 3
---------
Cornelius was not only a soldier but a commander of a 100 of them.

We know for sure he was in the right tune with God because IN ACTS 10:7-END

-God said
-he was just, upright and God-fearing
-obedient and in right standing with God, [This is what John was telling the soldiers in LUKE 3.14]
-God
-heard his prayers
-accepted and recorded his works of charity
-He received an angelic visitation

Can you imagine these endorsements/approbation of someone in the armed forces
from GOD HIMSELF?

He received the Holy Spirit in addition
and even after receiving the born again experience to replace Judaism,
God/Jesus/Paul DID NOT ask him to quit the army

CONCLUSION
--------------
If being in the armed forces[ military, air force, police, navy] was an impediment to
their salvation and entrance into God's kingdom,
John,Jesus or Paul WOULD HAVE EXPLICITLY SAID SO
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Oct 21, 2014
When Israel were God's choosen natiin, it is understandable why God may permit there killing pagan nations or even kill those who have rebelled against God. God sanctioned this. But now that God doesnt select based on geographical area, he accepts people only if they believe. So, as far as you are obedient to God, or that you are a christian, it is obvious that God wouldnt sanction your killing.

Imagine, after preaching from house to house to my nabors, a war start sometimes afterward, I took a gun and killed these ones I want to bring to Christ, is that love for nabor?

If say, Nigerian Catholics tend to fight Italian Catholics, if you see the pope, what will you do? kill him?

If say in the Nigerian army, there are JW's there. the same applies to US army. Now, what do you think I will do when I see a JW from US? shoot him? If that is so, what then is the identifying marks of true xtians? John 13:34, 35.

True xtainity doesnt allow one being in the army. Of course, true xtians are AMBASSEDORS in the world. they are no part of the world. Can ambassadors join in another nation's army?
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Kobojunkie: 6:10am On May 16, 2021
dopeJemi:
Now this is something i was reasoning today at church,
Can a born again christian be in the army
we all know that armies kill in d process of fighting war
It was in the bible that 'thou shall not kill'
So I wanna know if a christian can be in the army
What you ask is akin to asking "Can a born-again Christian serve two masters - the world(army) and Jesus Christ ?" undecided

Sure, a person who is born-again can choose to live in disobedience of God, .I.e. sin which is antichrist in nature, but does that no defeat the purpose of choosing Jesus Christ in the first place? undecided
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Kobojunkie: 6:28am On May 16, 2021
Theben:
A born again christian can be a soldier. I don't think christianity is against protecting your nation from external attack. So far you do not kill unjustly. In the bible, David was a king, yet he fought war and protected his kingdom. God did not disown him cos he was a warrior/soldier. Same with Saul and some other followers of God in the bible.
So if modern christianity is against one being a soldier, then, it would be pure 'double standard'
I am afraid Jesus Christ made it clear that no one who belongs to Him can serve Him and even the military system of this world when He declared that those who follow Him cannot serve two masters. undecided

You cannot serve the world and its systems even while you choose to serve Jesus Christ. It is not possible... those who live that way live in disobedience .i.e. sin and as such live in danger of Hell, eternal punishment. undecided
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Kobojunkie: 7:48am On May 16, 2021
mikron:
modern soldiers does the same duty as the isrealite soldiers of old in the bible and my good bible tells me the Almighty God loves them and encourages or order them to kill the enemy, that means a born again christian army can kill. The isrealites army in the bible have gone to war numerous times with different Generals like joshua e.t.c getting directive from God to kill the enemy most times the phillistines, amorites, hittites and the jebusites. And my bible tells me Jehova is a consuming fire, the God of war, the i am that i am. He does not change.
Jesus Christ did not call you to becoming an Israelite.. He called you to become His follower as a part of His Kingdom which is not of this world. So if you think you are called to join the israelite army, you are highly deceived. undecided

Jesus Christ made it clear that you may live in the world but you are to abandon the cares and worries of this world, as well as the serving of masters that are of the world e.g. the armies and politics of this world. He made that clear when He decreed that you not serve two masters if you will be his follower. undecided
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Kobojunkie: 8:25am On May 16, 2021
nedu2000:
I've always felt that the deaths in wars are the reponsibilty of those that sent them,and not the soldiers themselves,charles taylor,milosevic didn't kill those people themselves but they are the ones facing warcrimes...... ‎​ƔΕ̲̣̣̣̥S̶̲̥̅ a born again christian can join the military
Every murder committed by a born-again counts against that very individual, and this since the New Covenant agreement, Jesus Christ, is a contract between God and individual man, not groups, nations or Systems. So each born-again will answer for every neighbor whose life he ended. undecided
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Kobojunkie: 10:29am On May 16, 2021
swiftycool:
You guys are so funny trying to twist the truth to make yourselves look innocent. The other day a born again soldier was sent on a secret mission to kill a number of people in a community by his superiors. He followed orders and wiped out almost all the men in one community while his comrades raped the women all because he was obeying the last order which was an oath he had sworn (TO MAN)
Even ground troups are supporters of this agenda to provide logistics to help the killers sent to the front

As a military man u have no rights to question authority even if your superior is an evil person with secret selfish reasons for attacking other nations as it is with the US. Riddle me this: is it justified to see beyond your spiritual brotherly bond and shoot another born again christian in the head because he wears a different uniform and supports different ideals. Maybe obeying man is more important, and pls stop going back to the old testament when justifying this evils, its really lame!
No mind dem! undecided
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Kobojunkie: 3:55pm On May 16, 2021
19naia:
I was a soldier in the army and i prayed before going ,to never have to kill anyone there,and i never had to kill anyone there..And so far to this day i have not killed anyone ...YET....I met many christian people there and one born again christian i knew there was the most decorated junior soldier for being a very disciplined soldier with hi scores on all his performance test...he was not like the rest who smoked and drank alchohol and chased women when off duty and then tired and unfocused on duty....One member of my company unit was shot with minor injuries when he was drafted to drive the general for a few months in Somalia...Most of us in our Unit were assigned to not go to war but to the national cemetary to do the funerals of those who died in war ,and every military funeral gets a priest or rabbii or preacher or imam or babalawo as the family decides,and religious renderings are made as the soldier is laid to rest..i was part of handleing over 1000 military funerals in 2 years...the other duties we did were honour ceremonies for dignitaries of the pentagon and white house and national ceremonies in washington DC......Where people are dying and at war,there is where prayer and god is needed most,but then it is a personal choice to go to military as it is also a personal choice to go with or without god in life...In war,many non soldiers are killed and even outside national or regional wars,people kill each other just for the grudge of it....I did military funerals of at least 2 young soldiers who died while on vacation at home where things should be safe..one died in accident on the road in ice and snow storm...The other died when he returned home to visit from the army and the gangs who knew him before on the streets,shot him dead...one soldier was a woman killed by her lover off duty at home.....The next person to be killed on earth is likely to be killed in a church as is likely to be killed serving in the army...How many church bombings in Nigeria were afterwards assisted by people in the army,and does god approve of their army service to the church people under attack??
Can a man serve two masters? You cannot serve man and God at the same time. undecided
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by stanliwise(m): 5:36pm On May 16, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Can a man serve two masters? You cannot serve man and God at the same time. undecided
Biblical illiteracy is your problem
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Kobojunkie: 5:49pm On May 16, 2021
stanliwise:
Biblical illiteracy is your problem
What Jesus Christ Himself decreed is illiteracy? undecided
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by stanliwise(m): 10:01am On May 17, 2021
Kobojunkie:
What Jesus Christ Himself decreed is illiteracy? undecided
What you decree!
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Kobojunkie: 6:56pm On May 17, 2021
Archmed:
Can a soldier be born again?
The answer is YES...so a born-again can be a soldier..simple logic.
A saved & born-again soldier is also an ex-soldier because during the process of repenting from his previously wicked ways, he comes to learn that that which is against God cannot be for God. undecided
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:11pm On May 17, 2021
Matthew 26:52
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Kobojunkie: 11:39pm On May 15, 2023
dopeJemi:
■ Now this is something i was reasoning today at church, Can a born again christian be in the army we all know that armies kill in d process of fighting war It was in the bible that 'thou shall not kill' So I wanna know if a christian can be in the army
He can choose to be a soldier but that would mean he rejects the teaching and commandment of Jesus Christ which commands that he no longer serve another master, in addition to no longer working for bread that spoils — john 6 vs 25 - 35 undecided
Re: Can A Born Again Christian Be A Soldier? by Kobojunkie: 1:50am On May 23, 2023
Archmed:
Can a soldier be born again? The answer is YES...so a born-again can be a soldier..simple logic.
Yes, you are right but a born-again who accepts Jesus Christ would quit working as a soldier — including his day job — JOhn 6 vs 25 - 30 undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Powerful Inspirational Quotes @ Shiloh 2013 - Exceeding Grace / Accessing The Divine Killing Anointing By Dr D.k Olukoya - Written Sermon / All Things You Want In Your Life Already Exist And Is Within You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.