Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,148 members, 7,825,584 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 (22525 Views)

Barack Obama Vs Mitt Romney : Election Night Thread / Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 / Obama Vs Romney : US Presidential Debate On October 4 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by Nobody: 4:19am On Oct 16, 2012
President Obama and his Republican challenger, Mitt Romney would once again engage in a battle of ideas at the 2nd Presidential debate.

Mr Obama would likely change his debating style after a widely acclaimed lackluster performance almost two weeks ago.

For Mr Romney, tomorrow's debate will be an opportunity to further make his case for the U.S. White House. Mr Romney, the consensus winner of the 1st Presidential debate would also like to perform creditably in order to continue his recent rise in the polls. The topics addressed will be on foreign policy and domestic policy

The debate will be in a town-hall format and the audience will comprise a selected number of both the "undecided"/independent voters. The venue is Hofstra University in Hempstead, New York.

The debate starts at 9pm U.S. Eastern time/6pm U.S. Pacific time on October 16, 2012 (October 17@ 2am Nigerian time).

The moderator will be CNN's Candy Crowley.

1 Like

Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by AlterEgoTM: 5:57am On Oct 16, 2012
I just hope President Obama wont be as 'polite' this time around. Bring yhur 'A' game and go on the attack! V.P. Joe Biden already set the benchmark! Now go for the kill Mr. President!

2 Likes

Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by Nobody: 6:10am On Oct 16, 2012
@ AlterEgo: I think President Obama has to walk a tight rope in this debate. Being a town-hall format, frequently interrupting Mr Romney might portray him in a negative light amongst independents/undecided voters. The same tight rope also applies to Mitt Romney.
Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by AlterEgoTM: 6:47am On Oct 16, 2012
^^^
Romney did this (frequently interrupting Obama) to great effect the last time out. While Obama was being polite and waited his turn (not interrupting Romney) to his own detriment. Obama already admitted he was "too polite" the other time. Those swing undecided voters want to see a strong Candidate who will stand his ground, not a feeble personnality who will cower in and chicken out of a debate!
Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by Nobody: 6:55am On Oct 16, 2012
AlterEgo™:
I just hope President Obama wont be as 'polite' this time around. Bring yhur 'A' game and go on the attack! V.P. Joe Biden already set the benchmark! Now go for the kill Mr. President!

President Obama has promised that the first debate will not repeat itself and that he'll be more energetic. We'll have to wait and see.

1 Like

Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by AlterEgoTM: 7:02am On Oct 16, 2012
ogugua88:

President Obama has promised that the first debate will not repeat itself and that he'll be more energetic. We'll have to wait and see.
I seriously hope so. If he can just muster half the perfomance he is so capable of then he'll decisively dispatch Romney and put him in his place. Gosh, he made Romney look so stellar the other time!
Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by toluxa1(m): 7:04am On Oct 16, 2012
Can't wait. I won't miss this one. Any link to watch it on blackberry?
Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by chucky234(m): 7:05am On Oct 16, 2012
Obama will floor Romney this time though Romney is brimming with extra confidence now haven defeated Obama in the first debate but I have no doubt that Obama will be too hot to handle tomorrow,can't wait for the battle to start.

2 Likes

Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by semid4lyfe(m): 7:15am On Oct 16, 2012
CFCfan: @ AlterEgo: I think President Obama has to walk a tight rope in this debate. Being a town-hall format, frequently interrupting Mr Romney might portray him in a negative light amongst independents/undecided voters. The same tight rope also applies to Mitt Romney.

True but it doesn't apply to Romney as much as it applies to Obama.

Obama has his work cut out for him.

Romney portrayed himself as a "moderate technocrat" in the first debate so Obama has to cast him in a different light, his true light and remind Americans of who Romney really is.

He has to portray Romney as being "policy promiscuous" and a flip-flop, a liar, an extremist and dangerous for world peace. . .and he has to be forceful but appear "presidential" while doing this. Not an easy job IMO.

Immigration and Bin-Laden's capture are +Ves for Obama but the Libya thing kinda neutralizes that too and will hurt him.

Romney has more leeway and will most likely win this second debate.

3 Likes

Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by Nobody: 7:27am On Oct 16, 2012
toluxa1: Can't wait. I won't miss this one. Any link to watch it on blackberry?

Yahoo.com usually streams it live.
Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by Nobody: 7:36am On Oct 16, 2012
I won't even watch it live because I have a class at the same time. Anyway, I'll watch the post-debate analysis (Chris Matthews might have another thrill up his leg) and view comments on this forum.
There may also be repeat broadcasts of the debate on the cable networks.
Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by Bishop4bella(m): 7:38am On Oct 16, 2012
This good one US, is in Nigeria dat persidential run for debate and ask for questions b4 d debate. Nawa ooo
Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by toluxa1(m): 7:47am On Oct 16, 2012
Bishop4bella: This good one US, is in Nigeria dat persidential run for debate and ask for questions b4 d debate. Nawa ooo
undecided
What da fvck are you even talking about
Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by olaezebala: 8:00am On Oct 16, 2012
Bishop4bella: This good one US, is in Nigeria dat persidential run for debate and ask for questions b4 d debate. Nawa ooo
are u speaking in tongue ?
Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by mkoabiola: 8:19am On Oct 16, 2012
2 am abi I was sleeeping den,abeg who won d debate.
Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by Nobody: 8:24am On Oct 16, 2012
For this upcoming debate, Obama's sparring partner was Senator John Kerry, while Ohio U.S. Senator Rob Portman was Romney's sparring partner.
NB: A sparring partner is someone who helps the candidate prep for the debate; the partner plays the role of the candidate's opponent.
Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by heynew: 8:27am On Oct 16, 2012
This has always been democrats way of defeating the republicans, take the first debate let's take the remaining two that voters can remember before the election, even romney tax evasion saga and other outrageous statements about poor americans will be reserved for the final debate,

4 Likes

Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by AlterEgoTM: 8:30am On Oct 16, 2012
What tha fhuck Good Lawd! This is just whack!!!
Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by Nobody: 8:37am On Oct 16, 2012
heynew: This has always been democrats way of defeating the republicans, take the first debate let's take the remaining two that veotes can remember before the election, even romney tax evasion saga and other outrageous statements about poor americans will be reserved for the final debate,

The last Presidential debate will focus solely on foreign policy. Obama's best chance to bring up Romney's tax returns and the '47%' remarks is in today's debate.
Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by wowo2: 8:45am On Oct 16, 2012
IMHO, If Obama had behaved like Biden in the first interview he would still not have come out on top. His tactics the last time would have worked perfectly if he had looked up (not necessarily at the camera only) and had engaged Mitt Romney better.

1 Like

Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by heynew: 8:59am On Oct 16, 2012
2day will be very hot for mitt bc he will be playing the catch up game as obama will be using the following phrases; I ended the war in iraq, we bring down one of the world greatest terror in a no casualty navy sweep, we ve supported a lot of new democratic governments in middle east and north africa, we've used tooth breaking sanctions to prevent IRAN from acquiring a nuclear bomb, we have stand with Isreal security unwavering and so on, Mitt will definitely be playing the error finder candidate 2nite

1 Like

Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by greaterlove(m): 9:20am On Oct 16, 2012
i cant wait for the debate, i see obama taking the night. Romney had the first one even when most of the things he said were false, now he has been roped in. Romney has to prove today if he is really a moderate or a conservative.
Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by Nobody: 9:58am On Oct 16, 2012
chucky234: Obama will floor Romney this time though Romney is brimming with extra confidence now haven defeated Obama in the first debate but I have no doubt that Obama will be too hot to handle tomorrow,can't wait for the battle to start.

Well, obamas suppoerters were surer of his victory before the last debate. You can't yet be too sure this time around. Cut some slack for romney, he is the first obama opponent in years who has looked like a real contender on the ring.
Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by Benito69(m): 10:50am On Oct 16, 2012
ROMNEY will win...you don't come to a debate to be polite!, you talk your own. I watched the debate, I didn't even know when i was shouting Obama to say something forceful geez!.
Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by means(m): 11:27am On Oct 16, 2012
US presidential debates are always difficult for the incumbent. Remember Bush, he almost phisically attacked John Kerry. Though the Obama administration has done well in terms of decimating Al-queada and its leaders, the terrorist attack on the US embassy in Libya is a dent on this administration. Romney, is going to key in on that and attack again like the first debate.
But whether Romney wins tonite or not, this election is still Obama's to lose. Bring on Nov. 6!!
Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by hotwax: 11:47am On Oct 16, 2012
Roomney all the way. No more show for Jay-z/obamunattis
Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by semid4lyfe(m): 12:12pm On Oct 16, 2012
Don't you just love American politics? Take a look at this pics

Crowley rehearses with debate stand-ins for Mitt Romney and President Obama, Oct. 15, 2012. (David Goldman/AP)

Even the moderator dey rehearse for the debate lol

4 Likes

Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by KayDee4: 1:02pm On Oct 16, 2012
It's a fine line for Obama to walk, he will have to attack and counter Romney's lies, and at the same time, not come across as arrogant and disrespectful.
Who knows which Mitt Romney will show up tonight and what new lies he will bring to the table.
Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by ayojango(m): 1:14pm On Oct 16, 2012
Since its on foreign policy any candidate that expresses his intention to help tackle Naijas flood,fight Boko haram and Bring Aluu killerz to justice will win d Election.
Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by AlterEgoTM: 1:26pm On Oct 16, 2012
ayo jango: Since its on foreign policy any candidate that expresses his intention to help tackle Naijas flood,fight Boko haram and Bring Aluu killerz to justice will win d Election.
Run along yhu muppet!
Re: Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 by luluosas(m): 1:40pm On Oct 16, 2012
May the 'best' candidate wins.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

ECOWAS Leadership Will Not Accept Illegitimate Authority In Niger - Tinubu / See Kim Yo Jong, Kim Jong Un Sister Running Fast With Bread (photo) / Putin To Deliver Major War Speech As Biden Arrives In Poland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.