Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,550 members, 7,819,954 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:23 AM

Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers (15514 Views)

Jobs For Lawyers At Udo Udoma & Belo-osagie (lagos And Akwa Ibom) / Udo Udoma & Belo-osagie Recruiting / Please I Need Senato Udoma Contact And Native (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by Sophistica: 11:02am On Feb 19, 2008
A Lawyer is need in a Legal firm

Our client, one of the top 5 legal firms in Nigeria is looking for young, creative, bright and tenacious legal minds to fill the following role:

JUNIOR LAWYER – Ref: LGL/INK/02

Requirements
LLB (2nd class upper)
5 – 10 yrs post bar experience
Very strong in Litigation or Commerical Law
Maximum Age – 35 yrs
LLM and/or MBA a definite advantage

Click here to apply
http://vacanciesinnigeriandallies..com
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by kamikaze(m): 12:36pm On Feb 19, 2008
This our profession sha! Imagine person with 5-10 years post call experience as junior lawyer? That means person fit die e never still be senior lawyer talk less of associate. Anyway fellow wigs, for those of you with the requisite years and "experience" please make hay while the sun shines.
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by Geezle(m): 12:36pm On Feb 19, 2008
Junior laywers: 5-10yrs?

Wetin do the freshers? 1-2 years

1 Like

Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by kamikaze(m): 12:43pm On Feb 19, 2008
@Geezle
1-2 years, you dey jones. Dont you know that even if you spent 1-2 solid years in a good law firm and I stay at home and live off my father for 5 years I have more experience than you? Even if the only case I handled was a quarrel between my neighbours and my additional accolades are from my uncle's mechanic shouting" d law" I still have more experience than you, I can still apply for this ad and I'll be more qualified grin

1 Like

Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by iyk2: 4:31pm On Feb 19, 2008
Hello you guys, nice to see some learned friend in the house. I have been reading all your treads with interest.

The practice of the proffession is like a football game, there will be those playing defense, midfield and attack for the team to work effectively. For instance i used to be in practice before i joined the NGO community. The point is that no matter what sector we are in we are all important and need each other to function properly.

The truth is that the senior Lawyers have made the proffession unattractive especially for new wigs who they pay what can best be described as stipends. Even the pay of the best paying law firms cannot be compared to what your mate who is at the entry level in the financial industry takes home. This is unlike what the practice is like in places like the UK or the states that have well developed legal services markets.

My advice is that every body should have a foot hold in legal practice one way or the other, because like kamikaze said the apple should not fall too far from the tree.
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by kamikaze(m): 4:40pm On Feb 19, 2008
@iyk2
Preach the word Preacher! Well spoken, just don't know if people can see what we see. I'm proposing a platform where you can be your own Principal even if you're an employee somewhere else, gather as much as you can and be able to price yourself by your perception of your true-worth and not what the "dusty wigs" drop of their lofty tables. We must pay our dues but nobody said payment was slavery.
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by kamikaze(m): 9:43am On Feb 20, 2008
Wigs whats crack-a-lackin?
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by bebe2007(m): 10:16am On Feb 20, 2008
Hello learned friends, am a lawyer also. I work in the Legal dept of a Leasing firm. Life here is not so great , could have been better. I honestly never wanted to practice law, lost the zeal with the incessant ASSU strike. I spent 8years doing law (first degree), one year masters, Law school and another year doing youth service that finally landed me in this job. Its been a long journey !!!! i could aswell have done Medicine right!!!

The legal profession could have been better if young wigs were fairly paid, at least to encourage them. I have a friend that earns 8k in delta state. I really do not encourage my young friends to read law, all we have is the prestiege that comes with the name Barrister, no money to back it up. I know the money comes with time but really WHO HAS THE TIME? i dont, cant say when i will die so i want my money now o!!!LOL
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by kamikaze(m): 10:24am On Feb 20, 2008
@Bebe2007
We at this thread share the same pain, what can we do bout it? Read through the different posts and make up your mind if you'd like to be part of a proposed revolution. If you find us interesting enough and would like to do something not just for yourself but for other wigs and the profession at large please send a mail with enough details to show you're really not just a figment of my imagination to kamikazenland@gmail.com and I'd get right back atcha! stay tuned on this thread and lets build the biggest forum for lawyers in Naija and beyond. Cheers!
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by ganza(m): 5:28pm On Feb 20, 2008
hi everyone.really iv been doin alot of thinking lately. we do have alot of us wigs out here who arent satistfied with the peanuts we are being paid and also on top of it the insults we receive from the seniors. generally being dissatisfied means we want something better. but we really need to come to that point where we decide wat we really want. il tell my stry, i nyscd at min of jst uyo,and friends, i was into real litigation.i honestly didnt want to leave after service(cos of the litigatn i enjoyed and notin else grin) i got back to abuja and was tossed around til i got a job as a coy sec.i got this job cos i wanted to make some cash,three months into the job,i felt my lawyer cells dying.i left the job. though part of the reasons i left was that the company just didnt knw wat the job of a coy sec was,i was literaly turned uinto an admin staff,so u can undastand my frustration. after i left,all i wanted to do was get back into the the battle field(litigation), i worked with a lawyer 14 years my senior in the bar. 4months into working for him he gave the real taste of wat (most)seniors do to juniors, the insults began,so did the non payment of salaries,iv stayed 3mnths witout being payed(iv seen others who'v stayed longer).

why am i sayin all these,if you really need to work in a law firm you'l just have to take the plunge. it depends in which of the law firms u fall, if u fall in my type,u knw wat to expect. but then as we all knw there are rea law cool law firms,but how do u get into em?

anyway, i woke one day and walked to CAC an got my very own law fir registered. it took alot of courage for me to the firm i was with and i didi. now i wouldnt say being on my own has been rossy rosy. but then i honestly think its the best.

if u want the money,law firms are not for u,really thats my take. but then just like me i intend to still get a regular (legal)job and keep running my firm by the side.

i think it'l be better to really knw wat you are cut out for; the money or the practice? or for how long u can stay with the money witout the practice? u'knw those sorta questions.

@kamikaze. im really down with ur revolution idea,wat do u have in mind? my email is connectjd@yahoo.com.
@legs. where u dey? havnt seen ur post in a while.
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by jericho: 9:08am On Feb 21, 2008
Hey Ganza,

I really do feel you.

I totally agree with you on all your points. Most of these firms are out to enslave the junior counsel. The trick is to heap insults on the person in order to destroy their self confidence and impose a state of lack of self confidence.

There are a few good law firms around (in Lagos that is). The truth is they all have the same mentality. So my brother, my advice to you is to keep on striving. I also commend your guts at registering your own law firm with CAC. I would further advise that you open a Bank Account for the firm. Most clients would prefer to pay into the account rather than a personal account.

For the rest of us wigs lets keep the flag flying. We will surely get there someday.

cheers,

Jericho
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by legs(f): 11:38am On Feb 21, 2008
ganza:

@legs. where u dey? havnt seen your post in a while.

Still here …

I guess the problem is that sometimes we go into the profession just hoping to come out as lawyers without any idea of what area we intend to specialize in. And for those of us that schooled in Nigeria, we all know that six years of study (excluding ‘strike’ periods) is no joke. Let’s not even talk about the conditions of study or the crap you have to put up with from your lecturers (who may not necessarily be evil but may just be frustrated with the system themselves). Possibly some of us shouldn’t even have studied law. The common perception was that once you were not an ‘arts student’ in secondary school, you just had to study law. I for one would have studied accounting or something similar and been out of school ages ago if I had not been misled to think that arts/future law students weren’t good at mathematics which I discovered is utter bollocks ‘because I’m pretty good with figures.

Bottom line is, before even entering university to study law you need to decide which path you are going to follow. Are you interested in litigation in which case your apex could either be as a JSC or an SAN? Another option could be Corporate/Commercial law and forgetting about any major litigation practice (which I think is overrated, but that’s a story for another day). Then there’s the decision about what corporate sector you’re going to be in, aviation, Energy, Tax, IP blah blah blah. Even then you would then need to decide whether you would be a practicing corporate lawyer, or legal adviser in a company. Obviously, by this time you would have realized that if you would rather be a company secretary, your role would be slightly diminished to something somewhat more administrative than legal (ganza why were you surprised, forgotten that CAMA indicates that even an Accountant or qualified Administrator could be company secretary? grin)

Once you decide what you want to do be prepared to stick with and put up with the crap that comes your way, keep your eyes open and for goodness’ sake network! (even if you are naturally anti-social) I’ve read all the comments about stingy principles, but those guys are only looking out for number one, and like it or not they have the one thing that places them above juniors… experience. And we all know that degrees and grades don’t mean a damn thing to clients. A client with real cheddar would rather settle for an old experienced lawyer than a fresher with three LLMs and a PhD. After all shey they said Gani came out with a third class. If after all the planning, it still doesn’t pay, abeg look for something else to do. As I tell my friends - don’t seek for emotional satisfaction from your job, seek for money and get the emotional satisfaction from your folks at home.

I don’t expect absolute alignment with my comments from most people, but I believe that’s the way the cookie crumbles. In addition, when we get to the top (by His grace) let’s remember to pay our juniors reasonable wages and forget the ‘injustice’ we suffered at the hands of senior lawyers, after today’s seniors were yesterday’s juniors, abi?
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by soapdish(f): 11:48am On Feb 21, 2008
@everybody
whatssssss up peeps. Glad to see other lawyers posting.

Please, I need some advice. I said in one of my earlier posts that I would be quitting my job at the end of this month to join an Oil Service Firm. My problem is that since I informed my MD,he has been sentimental about it, promising to jack up me salary and a whole lot of other things. The thing for me is not really the salary but the fact that I have always wanted to work in the oil sector. Secondly,this new job offers lots of alluring opportunities.

I am so disturbed,I want to still keep a cordial relationship between us and at the same time move on Ok but he is not willing to let go. I don't want any acrimony between us.

Question is how can I quitt without making him feel bad?.
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by legs(f): 11:57am On Feb 21, 2008
the way I see it dear, it depends on your boss if he's going to be petty about it then there's really nothing you can do in which case you would definitely be right to leave his establishment. Notwithstanding if you have a career plan I think you should stick to it, you are only responsible for number one.
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by kamikaze(m): 12:44pm On Feb 21, 2008
My peeps, life is funny. Just back from an interview with the MD of a petrochemical company, actually a chat cos it was up to me to take the job or not as i came highly recommended. Thing is I was having cold feet on my way there and had a hard time coming to terms with working for this company even though the pay package was described as attractive. Anyway we got rescheduled and when the discussion started I realised i was no longer interested in employment but in being a contractor with this company. So now we are in talks as to how best to improve their services (which i know cos i'm in a bigger oil company so i have the experience, at least they think i do.) I'm still thinking bout going into a law firm and this makes it a lot easier knowing i can still make it big from oil while doing something i love.

@ganza you'll hear from me soon

@soapdish,
cant believe my baby came on and said nothing to me, i'm pained, feels like our union is breaking down "irretrievably"

@legs
stay tuned

@jericho
Do i smell complacence?
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by soapdish(f): 5:13pm On Feb 21, 2008
kamikaze:

@soapdish,
can't believe my baby came on and said nothing to me, i'm pained, feels like our union is breaking down "irretrievably"

So sorry my love, was supposed to have said something but work came calling and I had to go out,just came in few minutes ago. Talk to you later my dear.

@legs
Thanks girl for your response to my post.I appreciate it. For all I care, my boss can go take a hike. You know I just realised that if for any reason his Firm doesn't need my services, he would not give it a half a sec thought before he fires me so why should I be so bothered about how he feels about my leaving.
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by legs(f): 6:06pm On Feb 21, 2008
my sister you got that right!
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by kamikaze(m): 11:16am On Feb 22, 2008
@everybody
Kilonsele? i see we have only few regulars, others come, see that we're not hiring, post one and bounce? Come on, lets tell everyone bout us and lets grow into a force to be reckoned with. Imagine living in Abuja and you get a call that some client who lives in Abuja is being referred to you courtesy of the network? We can touch each other beyond our imaginations if we are diligent in this. Remember, some of us are comfortable as it is so its not about making a few bucks but touching as many lives, therein lies my gain.
Cheers
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by soapdish(f): 11:36am On Feb 22, 2008
@kamikaze
How are you doing today love?.

@nonysmith
Sent the information to your email. I hope it would be helpful.
Let me know how it goes ok.

@legs
Hi.
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by Geezle(m): 12:12pm On Feb 22, 2008
Did u say u were hiring in the first place, ?

Y'all have good jobs and are changing, @soap, ish, recommend someone to take ur place and see what comes out, I got the right candidate

Kami, should I send you cvs?
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by kamikaze(m): 12:17pm On Feb 22, 2008
@soapdish
honeyloops whats up witchu? You cant pledge allegiance when its your life we are talking about o, if he's such a good friend he'll encourage you to attain higher heights
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by soapdish(f): 12:56pm On Feb 22, 2008
kamikaze:

@soapdish
honeyloops whats up witchu? You can't pledge allegiance when its your life we are talking about o, if he's such a good friend he'll encourage you to attain higher heights
[/quote

Your right baby.

Geezle link=topic=107816.msg1984291#msg1984291 date=1203678759:

Y'all have good jobs and are changing, @soap, ish, recommend someone to take your place and see what comes out, I got the right candidate

OK,
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by legs(f): 5:40pm On Feb 22, 2008
soapdish:

@legs
Hi.

better person how you dey jare?
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by nonysmith(m): 12:41pm On Feb 25, 2008
@soapdish
thanks alot for even tryin.hp ur wikend was aight.cheers
@kamikaze
just sent my info to your mail,thanks men
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by soapdish(f): 12:46pm On Feb 25, 2008
@Geezel
I was asked to recommend somebody to take my place so where does your candidate stay and they want a female lawyer?.

@kamikaze
Whatz up with you. Haven't heard from you, hope you are ok.

@legs
My sister I dey fine. How work now?.

@everybody
How are you guys?. What is happening this one wey una no dey post. Make una try post something OOoooo abeg
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by Geezle(m): 12:43pm On Feb 26, 2008
Huuh no, my candidate is male, he might just fit into ur position very easily, wanna call him? 08060067857-Leke
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by Geezle(m): 12:43pm On Feb 26, 2008
I forgot to say thanks, he is based in Lagos,

Thanks again
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by soapdish(f): 1:10pm On Feb 26, 2008
Geezle:

I forgot to say thanks, he is based in Lagos,

Thanks again

You are welcome but they want a female
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by kamikaze(m): 1:34pm On Feb 27, 2008
Hey peeps, howdy, been a long time. I've been brooding cos i cant leave my job at the end of this month as i planned anymore, I dont even know if i can in two months, very depressing. But its not so bad.

@nonysmith
i'll be unto you shortly,k?

@soapdish
love of my life, feels like forever since i saw you, i forget it was only lastnight. How's the move coming up? I know you'll make the right decision.

@newcomers to this post, avail yourself of the legal minds in here,k?

Cheers, Kamikaze
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by kamikaze(m): 1:46pm On Feb 27, 2008
@nonysmith your mail is not among those received, you sure you got the address right? its kamikazenland@gmail.com
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by Geezle(m): 4:30pm On Jun 20, 2008
WHATS NEW WITH soapdish AND kamikaze
Re: Udo Udoma & Bello Osagie Charmbers by switch47(m): 2:03pm On May 09, 2009
AND THE THREAD DIED!! LAWYERS?? LIARS!! revolution ko evolution ni? grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Very Urgent,just Received Invite From Glo ,interview Slated For September 11 / BBC World Service Nationwide Recruitment Still Ongoing (28 Positions) / Apply For Coca-cola Company Job Recruitment (4 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.