Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,779 members, 7,831,502 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:53 PM

Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo - Politics (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo (37532 Views)

Why Nigerians Hate Igbo, By Chinua Achebe / See How Nigerians Hate Asari Dokubo (pics) / 'fashola Doesn't Hate Igbo People In Lagos' -chief Obinna Ezenwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Katsumoto: 3:12am On Oct 21, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^No!....OTHERS DO NOT HAVE TO BE LIKE IGBOS FOR NIGERIA TO BE BETTER but everyone has to imbibe progressive ideals for us to progress; you really are a thicko as well as war criminal sympathizer.

There you go again trying to read non-existent mischief into my posts....trying to sound 'analytical' and all that. undecided

For the avoidance of doubt, my last post referred to certain (universally available) cultural idiosyncrasies which can propel ANY group or peoples that possess them to have that competitive edge over those that don't; Igbos did not make those qualities, rather those qualities made the Igbo.....kapish?

If you argue that certain cultural/religious attributes that a people possess cannot define their success or failure in life, then how do you account for the core north that is being slowed down by their ranka-dede and unquestioning religious fervour, vis-a-vis the more progressive south?

All that talk of Ifeajuna and Ironsi is just trying to derail from the issue.....suffice it to say that i have never said ALL Igbos are saints; what Ifeajuna and all the other coupists/murderers did was wrong and they should answer to God for any sins they may have committed.....shikena!

Look at you claiming to be a 'wiser folk'.....negro please, have some self respect!

Compare the above with the first below. Isn't this bozzo stating that Hausa/Fulani and Yoruba are lacking in qualities, that Igbos have, which would make Nigeria a better place. An ingredient, which would make Nigeria great, is lacking in Hausa/Fulani and Yoruba but present in Igbos. This superiority complex is what gets some of you in trouble.

I will ignore your comment about war criminal sympathizer to your emotional state of mind since I am yet to sympathize with anyone convicted of war crimes.

PROUD-IGBO:

^^^With all due respect, you're talking rubbish!

Don't imply ulterior motives to his write-up just b'cos you can't handle the truth, or maybe b'cos your hatred or jealousy of Igbos wouldn't let you view his write-up disspassionately and without sentiments.

[size=14pt]Nowhere did he say Igbos are superior genetically (as Hitler thought the Aryan race was), but rather his argument is that due to cultural factors, Igbos would thrive in a [b]FAIR environment that rewards hardwork based on individual effort, competitiveness and being anwerable to no one but God (ie- having a republican, individualistic spirit); if Yorubas and Hausa/Fulani had such a cultural environment they would be indistinguishable from Igbos and Nigeria would be the better for it.....then there wouldn't be any need for backstabbing, envy, seeing gov't patronage as the only means to survival, quota system/federal Character, etc.[/size][/b]

It's all about nuture (environmental factors shaping ones character and outlook in life) as against nature (managing to get by in life based mainly on the cards you've been dealt with by nature).

Achebe was spot on!....but then again, i don't expect certain peoples to agree with him. smiley
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by sesanrota(m): 3:31am On Oct 21, 2012
str8_talk: I am not surprise dat NL is mainly populated by disillusioned Ofe nmanu pple & partly Boko 'RAM Apologists.
U all can bleeb 4 all I care,but d fact remains dat d truth has bn told by Achebe.

Unfortunately, the reverse is the case.........me think u need a head check at Aro.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by ba7man(m): 5:25am On Oct 21, 2012
A young igbo guy just came over to work with my partner and due to all this online squabbles i interrogated him(without his suspicion). If i had gotten signs some people display online he wouldn't have gotten the deal. I asked him how he felt bout Yorubas and he replied "I stay in Lagos and i love it,why not its people??". I also tried discussing the civil war to see his stand but he replied "That's old school,I never witnessed it,I just want to make my money". I'm right in saying there are a lot of good Igbo folks out there. I just don't understand what's goin on on Nairaland.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by UsamabinYamiri: 5:48am On Oct 21, 2012
^^^^^
You think say na only you get sense.
The boy na sharp man.
"I just want to make my money"
what else did you think he will tell you..

Abi you wan use Gestapo tactics?
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by rareman(m): 6:07am On Oct 21, 2012
Truth is prof achebe shuold remember his age apart from intellectual capacity you need to be gifted with wisdom to guide you in the course of life. I ve tried to reason out why his sudden outbust but cannot lay my hand on any tangible reasoning. There are things you do not say, no one benefits from all these aside his self fulfilment.
To think that this is a man I adore so much maKes it painful, truth is ndigbo will lose more if tomorrow Nigeria is divided. No one hates you because of where you come from but by you relationship with others. I've lived in lagos for more than a decade I tell you what I ve received more help from the yorubas than my fellow igbos. I repeat I don't know prof achebe's aim but from where am typing this he is just causing unnecessary division and we don't need that now.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by fyneconcepts: 6:17am On Oct 21, 2012
[size=14[b][/b]pt]I think we should be more matured with our criticisms. If you have any objection to Achebe's views, you should just state your view, and if you must insult try to limit ur insults to the writer. Taking it out on all igbos is totally an utter display of immaturity.

By the was in am IGBO and proudly one at that. I still believe southern Nigeria or Biafra would have been the envy of Africa and the world if some elements had played their parts during the war. I know it's hard to admit the truth whenits this bitter.[/size]
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by UsamabinYamiri: 6:18am On Oct 21, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Prof Achebe was only chronicling our History.
The Hereros of Namibia were almost exterminated by the Germans in Namibia.
If we say that now, does that mean we are Anti German.
The Americans wiped the Indian of the surface of North America.
If we Say so now, Does that make me anti American?

The Nigerian government is guilty of the first genocide in Modern African History.
Anybody who has a guilty conscience can go blow himself up.
I don't know why some people have to personalize everything.
The truth is the truth, though it may have a bodyguard of innuendo, lies and liars.

Achebe has told the truth Kpom Kwem.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by fyneconcepts: 6:19am On Oct 21, 2012
I think we should be more matured with our criticisms (common!). If you have any objection to Achebe's views, you should just state your view, and if you must insult try to limit your insults to the writer. Taking it out on all igbos is totally an utter display of immaturity and makes u guilty of thesame offense.

By the way i am IGBO and proudly one at that. I still believe southern Nigeria or Biafra would have been the envy of Africa and the world if some elements had played their parts during the war. I know it's hard to admit the truth when its this bitter.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by hugafella(m): 6:27am On Oct 21, 2012
Anti igbo sentiments in this thread are damn too much to ignore. However, the professor has bared his mind on what he thinks. There is freedom of speech. But in this thread i have seen a group of highly immature people who cant differentiate between an individual's opinion and facts, raining abuses on the whole ibo race! Thats unfortunate. I could also write a volume of negatives on the hausa/fulani and yorubas... But i wasnt brought up that way. Meanwhile, whoever called ibos "a bunch of never-do-wells" simply doesnt live in Nigeria. The ibos will always succeed against all odds, because of their natural fighting spirit. What Prof. Achebe said is never a reason to insult all ibo people. I resent that completely, because it shows immaturity and lack of comprehension.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Favourab: 6:45am On Oct 21, 2012
Nigerian hate ibos because ibo people always cause problem everywhere in the world. I live in thailand and malaysia, ibos are the making troubles and making asains to hate innocent nigerians
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by UsamabinYamiri: 6:48am On Oct 21, 2012
Favour ab: Nigerian hate ibos because ibo people always cause problem everywhere in the world. I live in thailand and malaysia, ibos are the making troubles and making asains to hate innocent nigerians

but,I am sure you are there to show them that there are other Nigerians who are superior to the Igbo in morals and decency!
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by saintohia: 6:48am On Oct 21, 2012
Allow the best person to do what he knows better than others, to make progress.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by aljharem(m): 6:50am On Oct 21, 2012
Please Please lets not go into generalisation. Lets focus on Achebe here
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by saintohia: 7:18am On Oct 21, 2012
ekt_bear:

That may even be true.

But the point I have made in this thread is that while Achebe's attitude is prominent among Igbos, this will never happen. Everyone will remain their enemies

^

Some of his concepts may have different meaning. The generalized is that people not just Igbos, should be allowed and encouraged to to be where they fit in best.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by saintohia: 7:23am On Oct 21, 2012
shymexx: ^^^How can that be true when their region is just as backward, if not worse than the rest of Nigeria

And are their governors not Igbos?

^

Shymexx, don't forget that there's hardly any state that the Igbos didn't and still contributing to its present status.

To answer u're question, do u think same is applicable to eastern states?
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by saintohia: 7:33am On Oct 21, 2012
Katsumoto:

So others have to be like Igbos for Nigeria to be better? You make statements like this and then claim afterwards that you are not claiming superiority.

Because of the differences between the various ethnic groups in Nigeria, conferedationism was adopted in the first Republic. Do you know how the first Republic ended? Some Igbo sons, not only killed non-Igbo leaders, they also killed those who were supposed to be their brothers. For instance. Brig. Maimalari escaped from his home only to run into Ifeajuna who was his protege. Believing that Ifeajuna was his brother, he walked towards him only for Ifeajuna to shoot him in cold bold. Was that an act of bravery or backstabbing?

Secondly, the confederationism was killed by whom? Who introduced the unitary form of government with decree 34 because Ndigbo wanted to export civil servants to other parts of the country? Who abolished compulsory Hausa tests in the North so as to remove the advantage of being an Hausa speaking person in a Hausa dominated region? The answer to all is Ironsi.

People who live in glass housed shouldn't throw stones. People with short memories shouldn't tell stories because they forget the start of the story and be reminded by wiser folks.

^

The ideas is not that others have to be or behave like Igbos for Nigeria to make progress,.

It's all about allowing someone who is better off (may be competence, intelligence or skills) to do it, rather than giving it to someone who would never do it right, that is one of the greatest reason we're not making the required progress, ok?
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by zicobaba(m): 7:36am On Oct 21, 2012
ACHEBE, “You get sense and common sense but YOU are not wise at all“ .
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by bashr8: 7:43am On Oct 21, 2012
zicobaba: ACHEBE, “You get sense and common sense but YOU are not wise at all“ .
how is he not wise?
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by saintohia: 7:43am On Oct 21, 2012
Usama binYamiri:

Oh so now Biafra was victorious and not a conquered republic?
It is very muck akin to America conquering Afghanistan, or if you prefer
American Union forces defeating the Confederate Slave Holding South.
The Slave Holding South became an internal colony of the north, after Sherman's march to the sea destroyed Atlanta.
All the Industry in the South were Northern companies that then encouraged laws that encouraged the incarceration of blacks for labour in chain gangs, or cheap labor in share-cropping in the so-called reconstruction.

Haba! Why are you arguing yourself into a hole.

^

Is it by using Bakassi as BARTER to win Biafran war?

No need reminding you, go and get it back from Cameroon, huh, after that we start the discussion on relating it with Afganistan scenario.

Do you know the story line behind the war in Afganistan? I'm not u're history instructor though...
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by saintohia: 7:51am On Oct 21, 2012
ba7man: A young igbo guy just came over to work with my partner and due to all this online squabbles i interrogated him(without his suspicion). If i had gotten signs some people display online he wouldn't have gotten the deal. I asked him how he felt bout Yorubas and he replied "I stay in Lagos and i love it,why not its people??". I also tried discussing the civil war to see his stand but he replied "That's old school,I never witnessed it,I just want to make my money". I'm right in saying there are a lot of good Igbo folks out there. I just don't understand what's goin on on Nairaland.

^

Is all about people seeing things from different perspective, and don't forget sm people's mind run in one track. Some twist things to give bad impression about others.

Yes, there are a lot of good Igbo folks. Igbos are nice people and the only tribe that still practice one Nigerian by existing and settling in every part Nigeria.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 7:57am On Oct 21, 2012
I implore all well meaning Nigerians to patiently read, DIGEST and internalize Achebe's well thought out words of wisdom. Particularly, the Igbos should take Achebe's advice seriously. As for Nigeria, QUOTA SYSTEM is a celebration of mediocrity and mediocrity is the reason Nigeria is where it is today. The earlier HEALTHY COMPETITIVENESS is encouraged in Nigeria, the better for ALL of us.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by lastpage: 8:02am On Oct 21, 2012
alj harem: one would agree with me that this man is an IDEEEEIOT. Take it or leave it

I usually don't insult icons but this achebe of a man is a big mumu. Ideeiot
I am dumbfounded!
I read Achebe's novel some 30+ years ago, in Secondary School.
Millions of Nigerians (Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba, e.t.c) read his books in our school (especially Things Fall Apart) and we all regard him as a national (not Igbo!) icon.
In fact, l "use to" put him on the same pedestal with the likes of Wole Soyinka,Cyprian Ekwensi, people we all can truly look up to.
I just dont understand WHY he would stoop to this low level.

*What is he "trying" to achieve?
*"Elders" are supposed to be unifying force, ....not causing dissent and mischief or hatred and bad blood.
[size=16pt]
Can anyone imagine a personality like Nelson Mandella uttering this sort of gibberish?
[/size]

I am still in shock!
At what age does someone become senile?
What does he stand to gain, at his current age and "state", to stir ethnic hatred among his own people?
Abi he wants to become President of "future" Biafra?

Really, that he was considered not fit enough (on the international arena) to win a Nobel Laureate, is now "obvious and clear"

...and the reasons he adduced are so silly you will have to agree that the man is "mentally broken"!
Imagine: Yorubas are held down by culture? So the Igbos dont have their own culture too?

l will suggest that other Nigerian Nationalities completely ignore what the "respected" Prof.(and l really feel sad that he has to end his days in so much ignominy and opprobium!) is preaching ...and just consign it to the dustbin, while attributing it to some "old-age" mental failure.

The Igbos, like any other Nigerian tribe, knows what is wrong with them.
Let them remove the Log from their own eyes before trying to remove the spec from the eyes of other nationalities.

Only a "weakling" (in the true sense of the word) keeps attributing his or her failure to another person.
The Igbos are "who and what" they chose to become. Simple.

Lastpage!

BTW: Is it still "morally correct" to allow our kids and adolescents to read the literal works of the Prof, in our schools?
Now, knowing what he stands for! I think all Western states should take the bull by the horn and ban his books in our schools. Whether the North will do same, l dont know....

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:08am On Oct 21, 2012
In addition to Achebe works of authority, i must add dat Nigeria has a tendercy of scape goating igbos. i.e. fuel subsidy scam, i am surprised to see dat only Andy Uba has been arrested and locked up for 10dayz.

Does dat mean he his the richest oil and gas business man in Nigeria or most influential? The answer is most likely No. The guy does not even own an oil well.

Just one examples of many where Nigeria Authority find it convenient to flex its muscle on igbos.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 8:09am On Oct 21, 2012
I implore all well meaning Nigerians to patiently read, DIGEST and internalize Achebe's well thought out words of wisdom. Particularly, the Igbos should take Achebe's CRITICISMS seriously. As for Nigeria, QUOTA SYSTEM is a celebration of mediocrity and mediocrity is the reason Nigeria is where it is today. The earlier HEALTHY COMPETITIVENESS is encouraged in Nigeria, the better for ALL of us.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by UsamabinYamiri: 8:09am On Oct 21, 2012
saintohia:

^

Is it by using Bakassi as BARTER to win Biafran war?

No need reminding you, go and get it back from Cameroon, huh, after that we start the discussion on relating it with Afganistan scenario.

Do you know the story line behind the war in Afganistan? I'm not u're history instructor though...

What the hell is this man ^ smoking?
Wetin concern Agbero with overload?
Wetin concern Bakassi with Biafra. No be Nigeria sell Bakassi? Abi its better for NIgeria to sell Bakassi rather than for Igbo to have it?
What is the story line behind Afghanistan....Maybe you can educate us instead of spewing trash?
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Sealeddeal(m): 8:23am On Oct 21, 2012
Achebe said the truth.Achebe should not take national honour offered to him twice because he see that Nigeria is not sound to honour anybody.his truth is glaring that the people start to say all manner of nonsense.i want to state it clearly that Nigeria need a national conference so as to determine if actually we are one,if we are suppose to be one and how to live in oneness.In today Nigeria,the only group living and expecting a better nigerian is Igbo.And i think,Igbo people should sell their properties outside Old eastern region to foreigners and return East to invest safely.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by subnormal: 8:32am On Oct 21, 2012
I understand that the Prof is angry at the role Awo played in the whole Biafra saga, but what I cannot comprehend is why he would join issues with the whole Yoruba race. Awo made some mistakes, but the guy is dead, all this talk no go bring any positive result abi u wan exhume the corpse and try it for war crimes?
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by UsamabinYamiri: 8:34am On Oct 21, 2012
subnormal: I understand that the Prof is angry at the role Awo played in the whole Biafra saga, but what I cannot comprehend is why he would join issues with the whole Yoruba race. Awo made some mistakes, but the guy is dead, all this talk no go bring any positive result abi u wan exhume the corpse and try it for war crimes?

Please show us where he "join issues with the whole Yoruba race". If you dont have anything to contribute, its best to shut up
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by oobim(m): 8:36am On Oct 21, 2012
lastpage:
I am dumbfounded!
I read Achebe's novel some 30+ years ago, in Secondary School.
Millions of Nigerians (Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba, e.t.c) read his books in our school (especially Things Fall Apart) and we all regard him as a national (not Igbo!) icon.
In fact, l "use to" put him on the same pedestal with the likes of Wole Soyinka,Cyprian Ekwensi, people we all can truly look up to.
I just dont understand WHY he would stoop to this low level.

*What is he "trying" to achieve?
*"Elders" are supposed to be unifying force, ....not causing dissent and mischief or hatred and bad blood.
[size=16pt]
Can anyone imagine a personality like Nelson Mandella uttering this sort of gibberish?
[/size]

I am still in shock!
At what age does someone become senile?
What does he stand to gain, at his current age and "state", to stir ethnic hatred among his own people?
Abi he wants to become President of "future" Biafra?

Really, that he was considered not fit enough (on the international arena) to win a Nobel Laureate, is now "obvious and clear"

...and the reasons he adduced are so silly you will have to agree that the man is "mentally broken"!
Imagine: Yorubas are held down by culture? So the Igbos dont have their own culture too?

l will suggest that other Nigerian Nationalities completely ignore what the "respected" Prof.(and l really feel sad that he has to end his days in so much ignominy and opprobium!) is preaching ...and just consign it to the dustbin, while attributing it to some "old-age" mental failure.

The Igbos, like any other Nigerian tribe, knows what is wrong with them.
Let them remove the Log from their own eyes before trying to remove the spec from the eyes of other nationalities.

Only a "weakling" (in the true sense of the word) keeps attributing his or her failure to another person.
The Igbos are "who and what" they chose to become. Simple.

Lastpage!

BTW: Is it still "morally correct" to allow our kids and adolescents to read the literal works of the Prof, in our schools?
Now, knowing what he stands for! I think all Western states should take the bull by the horn and ban his books in our schools. Whether the North will do same, l dont know....
If d great ACHEBE dey piss u and ur dirty tribe off,go wake awo up n piss inside hs mouth
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Noiseless2: 8:54am On Oct 21, 2012
Always opening mouth too wide to talk rubbish, where did see Igbos claim they are better than anyone? Hypocrites! would run when hausa/fulani call themselves BORN TO RULE.
ba7man: Pls, to the Igbos, these threads aren't necessary since you claim to be better than the other tribes now. I can't hop out of my car to start telling a roadside hawker how rich i am.....Since you're better,enjoy it and don't buzz the peace online.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 8:55am On Oct 21, 2012
Well done Prof. Keep rocking the yeye boat that has kept Nigeria stuck in the waters of mediocrity for so long

Haters gonna hate anyway.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Noiseless2: 9:22am On Oct 21, 2012
Clever one! When all the rest of you were rejoicing for the crimes AWOLOWO commited against poor innocent people of Igbo/Biafra during and after the uncivil war of his greed and shame, just because the hausa/fulani promised to make him be nigerian president if they win the war of shame, which of you reminded him and his war criminal gangs that what they were and still doing is sowing the seed of discord among you, or would now say AWOLOWO & CO are outliving the discord which they sowed(criminalities they commited)?
Iliveon: I really dont understand why a highly respected stateman like Pro. Achebe would continue to sow seed of discord among us. Such discord that he would outlive him.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

A Soldier Who Helped To Capture Camp Zero, Boko Haram's Converge Point (Pics) / Governors Akeredolu, Bello mourn TB Joshua / Governor Akeredolu's Health Causes Anxiety In Ondo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.