Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,343 members, 7,853,527 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 06:28 PM

Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo - Politics (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo (37588 Views)

Why Nigerians Hate Igbo, By Chinua Achebe / See How Nigerians Hate Asari Dokubo (pics) / 'fashola Doesn't Hate Igbo People In Lagos' -chief Obinna Ezenwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 8:01pm On Oct 20, 2012
bashr8: go and write your own memoir.

Memoir about what? How senile and divisive Achebe is? grin

You can copy all my posts on this thread for that, that's my memoir in real time...

At least I've been objective so far and I cited real life examples, unlike Achebe. grin

I just dumped Achebe's book in the bin, I can't be ar.sed to read it.. I just can't let him mess up my IQ! undecided
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by iahmed(m): 8:05pm On Oct 20, 2012
9ja voice: Alj harem are you now a yorubas man.

Didn't i say it. Why do you deny it at first and claim to be hausa.

Hahaha anyway achebe is a great historian. I love yhecway he puts history straight without fear and favor.

He speaks diluted truth no matter how painful.
on his dying bed abi? What more can he do than to create confusion!
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 8:06pm On Oct 20, 2012
preciousoz:
Note: am a Bini Man.

A kind of Deja vu?
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by ikeyman00(m): 8:11pm On Oct 20, 2012
@@@@

why do yall mofo fuckers hate the truth so much

i mean for heaven sake why do yall hate the truth so much

the truth written in the thread is what we the true soldiers of the soil always know

what happen to u lots; hahha nawoooo; even alj boko harem gone mad on this one

when Hitler was causing riot he wasnt just relying on his confidence but he knew he got the physicians and weaponeer that provides the weapon needed

However the Russians powerful red army was the first to get to Germany and were mad when they grasped the Americans had caters away with those physicians

now question to all the Igbo hater in the house; does the above script ring bell ?

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by haruna1970(m): 8:12pm On Oct 20, 2012
Give this man (Achebe) the mantle of presidency for a day and he will kill IGBO's ! He will bring war to them !
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 8:13pm On Oct 20, 2012
Lmaooooo@7:53 post!! hahahaahaha

what is that?!!? Rotflmfao
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by goodjack(m): 8:14pm On Oct 20, 2012
It is very unfortunate that we are loosing focus on the reality on the ground. Nigeria has a lot of problems and ethnicity happened to be one of them. Yoruba talk, Igbo talk, Hausa, Fulani, Edo, Itshekiri etc. See how the rich are getting richer day by day and the poor are getting poorer day by day. See how our politicians are busy stealing our money and transferring them abroad, buying white mans access any how. Little headache they will enter any available plane to Germany.
Most of us that are here spreading hatred know for sure that our major problem is not were we came from but injustice that few wicked individuals are using against us. It pains me that at this age and time someone is busy playing ethnic card. Sorry for all of you. Most of these people commenting ethnic opinion here are very young people like me. It would have been easy for us to come together to force all these wicked politician that are milking us dry to a stop and make here very hard for them. What do we gain form hatred. These bad nigger will never allow us to be united

We don't need Achebe and other angels of division here. When they gather to steal and share our collective wealth they don't mention ethnic theory. Guys grow or die.
Look at USA, that has mini world inside it. See how they are moving. Nigerians are heated abroad and we here are hating ourselves. Look at what Cameroon is doing to us here in Nigeria.SHAME ON ALL OF YOU THAT COME HERE EVERY DAY TO LOOK FOR ETHNIC RELATED POSTS TO THROW YOUR FRUSTRATION AT. I sign out of this stinking comments.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by haruna1970(m): 8:14pm On Oct 20, 2012
Give this man (Achebe) the mantle of presidency for a day and he will kill IGBOS ! He will bring war to them !
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 8:20pm On Oct 20, 2012
Lasinoh:

Pyguru don ban me for one hour. . . mu he he he he he
Really? I guess you have marginalized 'peeps' in every state.
That your Bini of a tribe is the WORST in Edo State too!
Na small una take beta pass these GOD-FORSAKEN IGBOTIC CANNIBALS!
Juju and all!
Backward as hell!
There! kiss

Who cleaned my post? Make I cuss this Achebe of a WOR-WOR WRINKLED BLOKOS. . .Manga-beeean Monkey-Face weh-weh!
Phocking cripple! kiss
Yup! Callotti and Lasinoh are one and the same!
No shaking! cool

Viewing this topic: Callotti, abes(m), alj harem(m), okosodo, Noiseless2, Lasinoh and 2 guest(s
are u 2ru? Now return 2 ur cave and scrape d chalks
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 8:25pm On Oct 20, 2012
omayyi :
ibo clowns, the most annoying and repulsive beings on planet earth. The very reason why Nigerians are hated by other nationalities. A prof in the US, a trader in Alaba, there is no difference at all.
abi?
And U are most loved in which planet? Jupiter, mars, venus, or the planet ur mum created in her p..u..+cy 4 refusing to take her bath
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by ichidodo: 8:29pm On Oct 20, 2012
Movingcoil:
abi?
And U are most loved in which planet? Jupiter, mars, venus, or the planet ur mum created in her p..u..+cy 4 refusing to take her bath

MWAH!HA!HA! MORE LIKE A GALAXY IN DAT PUSSY. LOOLS.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 8:29pm On Oct 20, 2012
Erelu_Y: I ONCE HELD CHINUA ACHEBE, APPARENTLY NOW SUFFERING DEMENTIA, IN HIGH REGARDS. NOT ANYMORE!
smoking indian hemp detoriates IQ, u neva sabi?

smoking
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by ba7man(m): 8:35pm On Oct 20, 2012
shymexx: To be honest, the war between Yoruba people and Igbo people is closer than ever...

'The cloud is heavy' and it's going to be bloody - I'll like to see the aftermath of that...

I don't think anyone can stop that from happening, it's just about when it's going to happen...
There's no war comming between the two tribes. The Igbo, even if they finally get Biafra will still remain wherever they are and won't return home xecept christmas.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 8:37pm On Oct 20, 2012
Coldfeet: Yesterday it was Elechi Amadi today it is Chinua Achebe! Why are the elderly of today not choosing their words with wisdom? Am IGBO by the way and I don't see myself as superior to others neither do I see others as superior to me! Things have indeed fallen apart.
u get luck, I 4 reason u say dat ice block wey dey ur feet don dey cause frost bite 4 ur nerve ending
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Dede1(m): 8:40pm On Oct 20, 2012
Yoruba peeps are ridiculous funny. In one instance, they agreed starvation is a weapon of war as their godfather, Awolowo, had personally proclaimed in several live interviews. While in another, they get twisted out of human form because Achebe reiterated what remains obvious.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by ba7man(m): 8:41pm On Oct 20, 2012
Pls, to the Igbos, these threads aren't necessary since you claim to be better than the other tribes now. I can't hop out of my car to start telling a roadside hawker how rich i am.....Since you're better,enjoy it and don't buzz the peace online.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by ZeusI: 8:50pm On Oct 20, 2012
duwdu:

Woah, this is precisely the sort of thinking that got Hitler and his collaborators to where they led their people and their part of the world: self destruction.

The rest of Professor Achebe's writing, as used in the said article, is essentially of the same mindset - that of the tendency to look down on other people and races, and think you're of a superior race, just like the "superior" Aryan race that Hitler so believed in, that led him to his eventual humiliation and destruction. The prof even thinks the white man is superior to his own race! In that sense, I'm beginning to think that, it's either Prof Achebe is naturally delusional, or bitter out of the war, or he's trying to shape his own legacy among his people.

Whatever, it is just sad that this is the type of thinking that the prof is passing down to his younger listeners and followers. Absolutely sad. One thing the man is further succeeding in doing with this sort of writing, though, is not to necessarily just re-write history, or re-define what truth is, but to further drive a wedge between his people and the other ethnicity or nationalities in Nigeria.

One other possibility came to my mind when I realized that Prof Achebe was in fact a Minister of Communication of Biafra during the civil war: That he is just trying to deflect from himself and the then other leaders of Biafra, criticisms of of the war, as fought by them. Such criticisms include that the leadership of Biafra ought to have been tried for acts of genocide against their own people actually, for one, because they insisted on fighting, and senselessly continued with the war, even after it was clear that that their children - on their land - were starving, while their ill-equipped soldiers were feeding fat.

I honestly don't think Prof Achebe and the rest of the war-time Biafran leadership will ever know peace on account of what they did to their own people, due to their misplaced belief of they being a relatively superior race, or even with their definition of what self-pride was.

In any case, "those that fight and run away, live to fight another day."
Achebe's perception is actually that of full blooded-jews. Awolowo is the one that bore the distict nature of hitler, and he(Awo), like his hitler role-model. The time has come when the 'black jews' shall use their all to destroy their enemies as the 'white jews' did. We shall triumph.
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 8:50pm On Oct 20, 2012
Akin-David:
I'm burning up everything written by this man!!! lipsrsealed
u've always been looking 4 a soft avenue 2 become an illiterate, meeee on.... Anu mpama
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 8:59pm On Oct 20, 2012
kindabigg: Among The Ibos Of Nigeria, GT Basden, London, Seeley, Service & Co, 1921

…The appearance of a crowd of carriers, with their spare frames, spindle-legs and cucumber
calves, often prompts the thought that the men must have recently experienced a period of famine. On the western side this is not the case. There the people are [size=18pt]shorter[/size] and are of a stocky, thick-set build. They are disposed to be [size=18pt]lazy[/size] yet they are passionate, and of a rash and fiery temperament, the result probably of an over-abundant supply of rich food……[size=18pt]The shape of the skull repeats itself with astonishing regularity[/size], this pecularity, perhaps, being accounted for by the process of moulding the shape of the head during infancy……Every town, and, incidentally, every family or household, stands by itself. There is no combination between town and town. Although speaking the same language, and in times of peace intermarrying with one another, the nearest neighbours are still regarded as strangers, e.g., the people of Onitsha and those of Opusi do not reckon themselves as of one tribe, though a distance of less than five miles separates the two towns.

pg 31-32

…Of sanitary ideas there is none, nor is there any sense of modesty as the European understands the term. As regards sanitation, however, it must be remembered that the sun is a powerful purifying agent, otherwise the conditions would, in many places, be unendurable.

Pg 33-34

Nor were these fears groundless. [size=18pt]Cannibalism, human sacrifices and other savage customs were real facts,[/size]and flourished within five miles of the outskirts of Onitsha, and no one would dare swear that the inhabitants of even that town were all entirely innocent !

pg 37
…It was in close proximity to this place that, as was well known, a cannibal feast had lately been held. Amongst our lads there was a small boy whose father had been a servant to the Niger Company. Whilst carrying a message to Obushi, the father was murdered and his body disposed of according to time-honoured custom.
On one occasion I was resting outside my hut when a man of unprepossessing appearance came along and entered into conversation. His eldest son, then a small lad, had been placed by his father in the care of a mis-sionary, in order that he might receive instruction. In the course of his remarks he solemnly asserted that it would be of great benefit to his son if he were provided with human flesh sometimes as part of his diet. He maintained that, if this were done, a proper man's spirit would develop in the lad. Towards the south, cannibal tendencies assumed a worse aspect. All that has been said hitherto relates to the prevalent custom of feasting upon captives taken in war. In the southern districts a regular traffic in human flesh was carried on. [size=18pt]Strangers were caught, or slaves purchased, with the deliberate intention of converting them into food. Human flesh was a marketable commodity, and a common article of diet.[/size] It is not long since a certain chief managed to get possession of one of his opponents against whom he had a grudge of long standing. He derived satisfaction from first lopping off the captive's ears and nose, and then flaying him alive.
The carcase was eaten and the skin converted into a drumhead. There is not a shadow of doubt that, could the history of the Ibo country be clearly traced, a host of suchlike stories would have to be recorded. I have become acquainted with many erstwhile cannibals, and quite goodnatured folk most of them are. One week-end I was staying at a town a few miles S.E. of Onitsha. My quarters were very circumscribed, the only accommodation available being a tiny thatched lean-to shed against the compound wall, usually occupied by the goats and fowls. My boys and carriers shared the limited accomodation, lying at night alongside the camp-bed. After the evening meal, we settled down for the night, long before our customary bedtime; consequently the men chattered freely. Presently I became interested in the conversation, and amongst other items of news, gathered that they had all had a share in cannibal feasts.
pg 38-40

…With the exception of those actually situated on the banks of streams, it is usual to find the villages at a distance from water ; indeed very often there is no adequate supply, the people simply dig catch-pits for the storage of surface water. In the wet season there is no lack, but in the dry months water is scarce and that stored in the pits becomes stagnant. In some districts the traveller must carry water, for he is likely to experience difficulty in obtaining any en route fit for consumption, and a bath is but an occasional luxury. Whilst travelling through such a district some years ago for three days we were denied the comfort of even a decent wash. For drinking purposes recourse can generally be had to cocoanut milk or palm wine. The former is preferable, as the natives dilute the palm wine very freely, and they are not particular whence the water for the purpose is drawn!...

pg 49

…In the choice of meat the Ibo exhibits no fads. Usually he must be content with smoked fish. Domestic animals are scarce, and are seldom killed except for sacrificial purposes or for very special feasts. When any are killed, the carcases are hacked to pieces with axes and matchets, straight through skin and bones. Not the smallest particle is wasted, even the entrails being consumed. The blood is caught and allowed to solidify. It is then cut in pieces and cooked in the same manner as the liver. Wild animals are treated likewise, of whatever species they may be, large or small, young or old, diseased or otherwise. The only part shunned is the gall-bladder, the contents of which are believed to be deadly poison, that of some animals being much more feared than others. Leopards, monkeys, dogs, snakes, lizards, anything indeed that can be called fish, flesh or fowl is acceptable to the Ibo.
How did the mods manage to hide this thread...
https://www.nairaland.com/1069237/igbos-nigeria-british-missionaries
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Empero67: 9:03pm On Oct 20, 2012
Achebe is known for his simple English. There is nothing that suggests in this book that Achebe sees the Igbos as superior to others. He is saying that the culture of indivdualism that is " I can do attitude" and dynamism created a people that can function very effectively in any environment and sometimes overtakes the same environment. This to me does not mean exposition of any superiority complex. This is a natural as well as historical fact.

It ia amazing how my Yoruba brothers can easily pick on this without considering the other aspect of Igbo which Achebe did not hide. To call your people noisy, dominating and hubris is not flattering. Yet there is truth here. Achebe is a historian. All you rabid ethnic bigots should go to sleep. We the Igbo know our strenghts and weaknesess and Achebe touched on both. We do not feel superior to anybody. We are just being the way Chukwu Okike made us.No apology. You take us or leave us but to label the Igbo with any complex is outright madness.

Social media is a library of some sorts. The way you project your views tells much about you. Those bearing Yoruba names and raining abuses on Achebe and Igbos must rethink. You can always make your point without insults. cheers

Empero Uba
Tokyo -Japan
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 9:04pm On Oct 20, 2012
ba7man: There's no war comming between the two tribes. The Igbo, even if they finally get Biafra will still remain wherever they are and won't return home xecept christmas.

I don't know, but the Achebe's action and Yoruba people's reaction kind of support my assertion...

If an all out war don't happen, something like a "cold war" is plausible...

The two ethnic groups can't live together - and in a divided Nigeria, I doubt Yoruba people will allow Igbos live freely the way they do now among them...

But hey, what do I know? I might be chatting shyte, though..
Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by Nobody: 9:06pm On Oct 20, 2012

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (24) (Reply)

Wike, Rivers Governor-elect Receives Certificate Of Return (photo) / Ambode Constructing Flyover And Bridge Ramp At Agege-Pen Cinema (Photos) / Folasade Adeleke Shares Pregnancy Photoshoot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.