Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,035 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

Virgintiy Is A Virtue - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Virgintiy Is A Virtue (3070 Views)

Honesty - A Virtue To Cultivate / When lying is a virtue / Virginity A Virtue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Virgintiy Is A Virtue by elizabetta(f): 4:35pm On May 03, 2008
Virginity is a virtue true, but these days things happen,what if a girl was rape and lost her virginity those that mean she wanted to be disvirgin NO but it happen.Virginity or no virginity,the important thing is that a girl should keep herself and be decent.
Re: Virgintiy Is A Virtue by TYPOP(m): 10:04pm On May 05, 2008
@Ujujoan

The main thing is to be decent, man and women alike. Besides, respect is earned and reciprocal. Virgin or LovePeddler!!!!

Tha main thing is not just being decent. Some whores still maintain a form of decency. As much as you are decent, you need to be God-Fearing.

@elizabetta 

Virginity is a virtue true, but these days things happen,what if a girl was rape and lost her virginity those that mean she wanted to be disvirgin NO but it happen.Virginity or no virginity,the important thing is that a girl should keep herself and be decent.

The important thing is not the decency. It is about not committing sin. If someone is raped, he/she has not sinned. That was not with his/her consent.

, I said He/She because guys can also be raped but it is not common,
Re: Virgintiy Is A Virtue by Cayon(f): 3:49am On May 06, 2008
Even though I didn't wait I think it's best to wait until you are married to have sex.  I had sex at the age 26 and got pregnant.  I felt like I disappointed my parents but we all make mistakes.  They wanted me to get married first. deep down I didn't feel too bad because at least I finished school and college.

But I'll tell you like I keep telling my 14 years old.  Wait until you are married to have sex.  it's hard but pray over it
Re: Virgintiy Is A Virtue by huxley(m): 9:47am On May 06, 2008
Re: Virgintiy Is A Virtue by elizabetta(f): 11:17am On May 06, 2008
TYPOP:

@Ujujoan

The main thing is to be decent, man and women alike. Besides, respect is earned and reciprocal. Virgin or LovePeddler!!!!

Tha main thing is not just being decent. Some whores still maintain a form of decency. As much as you are decent, you need to be God-Fearing.

@elizabetta 

The important thing is not the decency. It is about not committing sin. If someone is raped, he/she has not sinned. That was not with his/her consent.

, I said He/She because guys can also be raped but it is not common,

If a girl keep herself is the same as not committing sin and if a girl is truly decent then she is not a LovePeddler.And if you keep yourself and you are decent then you have 70%of God fear in you.please try and understand what i wrote.thanks
Re: Virgintiy Is A Virtue by huxley(m): 11:21am On May 06, 2008
Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7297&Itemid=71

THERE are cases in Nigeria where puritanical mothers, aunties and teachers who are overzealous about preserving the virginity of their children and wards violently insert contaminated fingers into the vaginas of the girls to 'test' for virginity, thereby exposing the hapless victims to genital infection.

On the other hand, girls who are too concerned about remaining virgins tend to manifest increased sexual fantasies and desires, abundance of sexual imagery resulting in extreme nervousness, inability to concentrate, timidity, irritability and insomnia.

Again, it generates wholly unnecessary anxiety in girls whose hymens might have ruptured through other means than sexual intercourse. From our discussion thus far, it is pretty clear that, contrary to generally accepted belief prolonged virginity or chastity, both in males and females, is very damaging, I wish now to address the specific issues raised by Mrs. Adunni Adediran in her article.

For starters, her claim that her initiative "is the only concept that throws light on the chastity of Nigerian girls" and that nobody knows that virgin girls could be fished out from Lagos is, to put it mildly, very puzzling.

What exactly does she mean by claiming that the virginity test she initiated is the only concept that throws light on the virginity status of Nigerian girls? The second part of her claim is both logically and empirically absurd. How did she know that "nobody knew" that there are virgins in Lagos?

If she was amazed to discover virgin girls above fifteen years in Lagos Island, Isale Eko and Okepupo area, then that is a reflection of her limited imagination and her proneness to the fallacy of converse accident. Many girls both in the urban centres and rural areas are virgins due to certain reasons, especially religious and socio-cultural.

Also, female genital mutilation (a practice common in many Nigerian communities) and infibulation usually discourage the urge to have sex in some girls, indirectly encouraging them to avoid intercourse. There is increased sexual freedom globally, which means that the percentage of adults who are virgins is reducing.

Therefore, the so called light Mrs. Adediran claims to have thrown on virginity is a matter of commonplace knowledge. She also claims that she has been receiving plaudits from people and that men are requesting her to link them up with virgins for permanent relationship.

My response to this is that since Mrs. Adediran and her admirers more or less accept the same hackneyed unscientific code of sexual morality, they are prone to make the same mistakes about the place of virginity in human existence. Without a doubt, Mrs. Adediran believes that sex outside marriage is a sin, as proclaimed by St. Paul.

The word "sin" is a terrible word. It is responsible for the unnecessary anguish, anxiety and guilt feelings experienced by a large number of people all over the world. Once an act is labelled with that word, no one cares to find out whether indeed it is conducive to the well-being and happiness of people or not.

It is on the basis of such naive and simplistic standpoint that moral puritans discourage individuals from embarking on sane, responsible and critically thoughtful considerations of the complex problems of life.

By parading and rewarding "virgins", Mrs. Adediran and her collaborators, in my view, ignore the fact that the belief in virginity as a virtue is the product of religious superstition formulated in primitive societies of old completely devoid of any scientific basis.

Permanent relationships

The men who requested for virgins "for permanent relationship" are ignorant and hypocritical. Virginity contributes very little, if anything at all, to the enrichment of man-woman relationship, even marriage.

That one married a virgin is not a guarantee that she would remain faithful forever to her husband or ensure that she would be a good wife and mother.

Loving-kindness, truthfulness, patience and tolerance, to my mind, are far more important, more fundamental for life-furthering intimate relationships between men and women, than chastity.

Infact, researchers who have studied the subject maintain that a girl with sexual experience has a better chance of correctly discriminating between a man whose profession of love is genuine and another who just wants to have a fling, and of making the right choice of a lover, than one without such experience.

The hypocritical aspect appears in bold relief if the question is asked: how many of the men who desire to marry virgins are virgins themselves?

Men disvirgin girls, and yet they insist on marrying virgins. How can men eat their cake and have it at the same time?

It is unfair that many men, because of the silly desire to marry virgins would, when they want to settle down, abandon the girls they were relating with in the urban centres for inexperienced under-educated girls in the villages who they can easily dominate and manipulate.

Such men are not real men, because they are vaguely aware, subconsciously, of their inability to relate on equal terms with educated, sexually experienced and exposed girls who are not easily amenable to domination and manipulation.

I advise such men to open their hearts and minds in order to understand that insistence on sexual chastity is a symptom of emotional myopia which can prevent a man from identifying and cherishing his "soul mate" if, and when, she becomes available.

It is well known by psychologists that self-styled guardians of conventional sexual ethics sublimate, in the form of prudish persecutory indignation towards the slightest deviation from orthodox code of sexual behaviour, the thwarting of their natural sexual impulses which occurred in early childhood.

Thus, I will not be surprised if Mrs. Adediran and most of her co-workers in the virginity test initiative were raised in home environments where traditional taboo sexual morality predominated. Mrs. Adediran was mistaken in thinking that her God would protect a girl already certificated by her group as a virgin from rape. I do not know the basis of her unrealistic optimism.

Rapists have in past visited convents and other places of worship where supposedly female children of God gathered and raped, in some instances robbed and killed them. I believe that by happenstance if a lady is at the wrong place at the wrong time, virgin or not, she might be raped.

It follows that Mrs. Adediran's over confident assertion that "a child of God will never be raped" is simply false, and stems from the unrealistic and fictitious belief by those who call themselves born again Christians that they are immune from the usual vicissitudes of human existence through Jesus Christ.

The Bible, when properly studied, undermines that belief, because in the story of Job, for example, we encounter a paradigm case of a righteous man tormented by some of the sorrows of this world. It never occurred to Mrs. Adediran that the God she relies on can decide to use the rape of a virginity certificated girl as a means of teaching life-changing lessons to the victim and those connected with her one way or another.

Probably, Mrs. Adunni Adediran was motivated by honest intention to launch the virginity test initiative. But it not far-fetched to predict that the initiative would in the near future transform into a money-spinning venture and acquire a character undreamt of by her. I affirm that focus on virginity cannot add value to heterosexual relationships in Nigeria. Rather, it might produce a generation of young girls divided into two sets, one set containing girls with their hymens intact, and the other, girls with torn hymens.

The criterion for such classification strikes me as ludicrous. It would likely make the "virgins" develop a condescending superior attitude to their friends who are not virgins, and make the latter develop some sort of inferiority complex and feeling of guilt about a natural mode of behaviour which they might have thoroughly enjoyed at the time.

There are more important attributes of human beings that we should encourage and celebrate, as I suggested earlier. In this connection, the celebration of virginity definitely cannot improve the quality of human sexual and marital relationships.

To sum up: In sex, our attitude is still dominated by irrational fears and taboos which contemporary scientific discoveries have rendered out of date, and the benefit derivable from those discoveries is largely lost due to our failure of psychological adaptation to them.

Even if anybody decides to celebrate and reward virginity, the advantages of chastity, such as time saving (assuming that the person abstaining from sex does not become continually preoccupied about the sexual act with which he or she is not occupied), avoidance of STDs and AIDS and possible heartbreaks, should be placed side-by-side with its disadvantages, some of which have been outlined in this essay. I agree entirely with Dr. Albert Ellis that the price for prolonged virginity is high - damned too high!

http://www.vanguardngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7297&Itemid=71
Re: Virgintiy Is A Virtue by rubi(f): 7:19pm On May 06, 2008
People who kept talking about virgin, virgin, virgin is because they haven't gotten any opportunity to break their virginity they. Marriage works because of love and respect. You can be a virgin and still fail in other qualities as a girl
Re: Virgintiy Is A Virtue by quickygal(f): 12:41pm On Aug 02, 2008
@post
Virginity is indeed a great virture, a number of us though very few still respect that
Re: Virgintiy Is A Virtue by brizmaleti: 3:01pm On Aug 02, 2008
Na Wa OOOOO, This virginity topic tire me sef, all i know is that it is certainly not an unforgivable sin
Re: Virgintiy Is A Virtue by shinystar(m): 11:42pm On Aug 02, 2008
Virginity is not enough.
Re: Virgintiy Is A Virtue by dudubobo1: 10:40am On Aug 04, 2008
It is always better to be a virgin than to be not.
All things being equal, a virgin will definitely be more preferable
Re: Virgintiy Is A Virtue by Lady2(f): 7:24pm On Aug 04, 2008
People who kept talking about virgin, virgin, virgin is because they haven't gotten any opportunity to break their virginity they. Marriage works because of love and respect. You can be a virgin and still fail in other qualities as a girl

and there are plenty of girls who feel used after loosing their virginity. No one said your marriage won't work if you've lost your virginity, infact it is because of that love and respect that your spouse will have for you after you have been truthful to them that will save your marriage.
But that does not rule out the fact that when girls loose their virginity they feel cheap and worthless. And you know very well that it is true. And the constant sleeping around does turn men away from women, no one wants a left over. Your husband can wonder well if you've given it to everybody else what else is there for me?
Re: Virgintiy Is A Virtue by rampant(f): 10:51pm On Aug 04, 2008
come y is that wwn peeps talk about virginity,they r talking about the girls alone?what happened to the guys?shouldnt they be virgins too?
Re: Virgintiy Is A Virtue by papadims: 10:55pm On Aug 04, 2008
rampant:

come y is that wwn peeps talk about virginity,they r talking about the girl alone?what happened to the guys?shouldnt they be virgins too?

you are right, please preach on so that all those guyz would stop chasing any thing in skirt.

if the guyz keep boby the girls to would remain virgins forever.
Re: Virgintiy Is A Virtue by ursolution: 12:56am On Aug 05, 2008
It's okay to be a virgin
Re: Virgintiy Is A Virtue by Nobody: 2:20pm On Aug 05, 2008
Virginity will forever be a virtue.
Re: Virgintiy Is A Virtue by kemisuga(f): 12:16pm On Aug 08, 2008
Virginity truly brings respect and more love.

But nowadays it is not common meeting your spouse a virgin
Re: Virgintiy Is A Virtue by huxley(m): 1:05pm On Aug 08, 2008
This is a bogus concept. Would you consider a man who has never had penetrative sex with a woman and has been masturbating and using intimacy gadgets a virgin?

Would you consider a woman who has never had penetrative sex with a man but has been self-penetrating herself with intimacy gadgets a virgin?

The status attached to virginity is so primitive it is incredible.
Re: Virgintiy Is A Virtue by huxley(m): 1:21pm On Aug 08, 2008
If virginity is such a great virtue, can it be placed on a par with other great virtues like kindness, courage, intelligence, trustworthiness, etc, etc?

Who benefits from the virtue of virginity? And once virginity is lost, do you also lose the "virtue"? Are you a "lesser human" because you have lost your virginity?
Re: Virgintiy Is A Virtue by idupaul: 1:24pm On Aug 08, 2008
Are you a "lesser human" because you have lost your virginity?

i wonder why some people are apprehensive over a piece of flesh they must eventually lose.
Re: Virgintiy Is A Virtue by baby4life: 7:05pm On Sep 12, 2008
hi ,  i want to let u guy know that, every thing that is happen around you God knows the purpose.
according to your question, u said if u are still a virgin i should said it out. yes I still a virgin, and i believe  i will zip up till i got married.
virginity is good. if u are still a virgin keep it up. actually i don't have much to say.
thanks.

this is my mail: if u need to know more about  me. chi.best@hotmail.com
Re: Virgintiy Is A Virtue by baby4life: 7:10pm On Sep 12, 2008
hi ,  i want to let u guy know that, every thing that is happen around you God knows the purpose.
according to your question, u said if u are still a virgin i should said it out. yes I still a virgin, and i believe  i will zip up till i got married.
virginity is good. if u are still a virgin keep it up. actually i don't have much to say.
thanks.

this is my mail: if u need to know more about  me. chi.best@hotmail.com
Re: Virgintiy Is A Virtue by PHILONZO(m): 3:52pm On Dec 05, 2008
Is there virgin again in Nigeria?
Re: Virgintiy Is A Virtue by Lady2(f): 4:41pm On Dec 05, 2008
virginity is truly a virtue. it is so much a virtue that God himself preserved a virgin to give birth to him. The womb of a woman is very sacred, God himself sanctified it by being born from it. The devil hates that, so please women, keep in mind that your womb is sacred. Sacred places should not be disrespected.

let him know that.

whoever says that men don't value virgins is a liar, those are the ones they are looking for. my friends who are male talk about how they want a virgin and how they value them.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bye Bye To Ooman / Pseudo Science Exposed Again! Wooly Mammoth Is Less Than 5000 Years Old. / Lovely Testimonies...come And Experience Fruitfulness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.