Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,459 members, 7,819,671 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 - Foreign Affairs (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 (23328 Views)

Barack Obama Vs Mitt Romney : Election Night Thread / Obama Vs Romney: U.S. Presidential Debate On 16th October 2012 / Obama Vs Romney : US Presidential Debate On October 4 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by Goldieluks: 12:16pm On Oct 23, 2012
nitlad: Referencing Gadhaffi here is just pedestrian.

That is why it is a reference in the first place. There's nothing pedestrian about it.
Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by semid4lyfe(m): 12:26pm On Oct 23, 2012
debosky: Mr L Semid e be like say you don turn to US political analyst oh. . . .won't you go and ask CNBC, CNN or ABC for a job? cheesy

Guy free me jare. . . .if no be sey my brotha, an Original Black African Managing America dey involved, I for no get more than a passing interest in this election wink

As per the job levels, Seun dey pay me enough so no, thank you tongue
Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by Horus(m): 12:58pm On Oct 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmvb8enmNMM

Obama press conference after Presidential debate
Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by express101: 1:28pm On Oct 23, 2012
shymexx:

I know why you feel that way...

However, he used to be a governor there and he achieved a lot as a governor..
In spite of his achievements in Massachussetts, he's still behind there. I agree he'll prolly win most of the swing states, but the big deal is Ohio on the path to 270 going by the electoral college map
Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by nitlad: 1:38pm On Oct 23, 2012
Goldieluks:

That is why it is a reference in the first place. There's nothing pedestrian about it.
Like seriously WTF
Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by thelastPope(m): 2:11pm On Oct 23, 2012
candieangel12:

Maybe my english is off because im driving n replying to your posts. Thank you very much!

Conservatism is better than liberalism? Really? Hell no! Im guessing you're one of them redneck republicans. Like I said this is not 1776, things have changed. We let a dang republican rule us 4 8yrs n look where that lead us. Our best years in recent time where ruled by a democrat, clinton. Obama came into the office having to fix all the mistakes of Bush. You cant tell me you think Bush is better than Obama. Bush made our economy suffer, he has been voted as one of the worst presidents. But mind you, our fore fathers didnt vreate this country on a democratic vs republican platform. So back then it wasn't really a matter of liberalism vs conservativism

The last time I checked, Ronald Reagan was a conservative and was one of the best presidents of recent times. Jimmy carter on the other hand was a liberal and was a disaster.

You see, we can argue this all day but one fact is clear, the emerging economies like China, Brazil and South korea are conservative and most failing economies, Greece, Spain, france are liberals. That's a fact you can't fight with.

The world is going to self destruct soon because of liberalism. But that's a topic for another thread. The liberals are cameleons who try to appeal to popular opinion in other to push their agenda. They advocated slavery and segregation when it suited them and now preach false freedoms and government handouts because its the new strategy to win the crowd. Like Romney said, the way to help the poor is to create jobs, not to give out food stamps or handouts!

1 Like

Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by abes(m): 2:16pm On Oct 23, 2012

Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by thelastPope(m): 2:25pm On Oct 23, 2012
Goldieluks:

Ghadafi is not an achievement. Its a mistake by America and its already showing!
Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by KayDee4: 2:40pm On Oct 23, 2012
thelastPope:

The last time I checked, Ronald Reagan was a conservative and was one of the best presidents of recent times. Jimmy carter on the other hand was a liberal and was a disaster.!

Reagan was a moderate republican, the republicans of today are ultra conservative, that's why there's no cooperation in Washington.
Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by nitlad: 2:41pm On Oct 23, 2012
thelastPope:

Ghadafi is not an achievement. Its a mistake by America and its already showing!
Yhu should have left her to wallow in her pseudo-nostalgia. grin

1 Like

Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by saintohia: 2:52pm On Oct 23, 2012
I'm now convinced that Obama didn't want to flow during the 1st debate.
Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by saintohia: 2:52pm On Oct 23, 2012
Kay-Dee:

Reagan was a moderate republican, the republicans of today are ultra conservative, that's why there's no cooperation in Washington.

^

Sounds real.
Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by KayDee4: 2:54pm On Oct 23, 2012
saintohia: I'm now convinced that Obama didn't want to flow during the 1st debate.

He was too polite which was a huge mistake, Romney would have been dead and buried in the polls by now.
Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by saintohia: 2:57pm On Oct 23, 2012
abes:

^

Meaning that it would be easier to work on Iran once the right American is installed in Syria, huh

Advanced politics and thinking ahead, not minding the number life that would be lost.
Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by thelastPope(m): 3:07pm On Oct 23, 2012
Kay-Dee:

What does a "moderate republican" mean? Lol. That is a bogus terminology used by a confused press. Do not confuse a man's belief with his temperament! Its like saying someone is a tyranic liberal! Or a nice Al qaeda! And of course, there are nice Al Qaeda guys! Being "moderate" or "hardline" is a temperament, not a core belief! Obama is a hardline liberal!
Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by thelastPope(m): 3:12pm On Oct 23, 2012
nitlad: Yhu should have left her to wallow in her pseudo-nostalgia. grin

Abi o! My bad! Lol

1 Like

Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by saintohia: 3:41pm On Oct 23, 2012
Kay-Dee:

He was too polite which was a huge mistake, Romney would have been dead and buried in the polls by now.

^

Yeah, though it seems more like part of his strategy by giving him the false impression that the Obama we know forgot his exceptional presentation skills.
Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by TechRev: 4:00pm On Oct 23, 2012
Both candidates presented false info. you guys should not single out Mitt.

FACT CHECK: Flunking geography, history

WASHINGTON (AP) — Voters didn't always get the straight goods when President Barack Obama and Republican Mitt Romney made their case for foreign policy and national security leadership Monday night before their last super-sized audience of the campaign. A few of their detours into domestic issues were problematic too.

Romney flubbed Middle East geography. Obama got Romney's record as Massachusetts governor wrong.

At the same time, they injected a little more accuracy into two leading misstatements of the campaign: Romney's claim for months that Obama went around apologizing for America, and the president's assertion, going back to his State of the Union address in January, that the U.S. military's exit from Afghanistan will yield money to rebuild America.

A look at some of their statements and how they compare with the facts:

ROMNEY: "Mr. President, the reason I call it an apology tour is because you went to the Middle East and you flew to Egypt and to Saudi Arabia and to Turkey and Iraq. And by the way, you skipped Israel, our closest friend in the region, but you went to the other nations. And by the way, they noticed that you skipped Israel. And then in those nations, and on Arabic TV, you said that America had been dismissive and derisive. You said that on occasion America had dictated to other nations."

OBAMA: "Nothing Gov. Romney just said is true, starting with this notion of me apologizing. This has been probably the biggest whopper that's been told during the course of this campaign. And every fact checker and every reporter who's looked at it, governor, has said this is not true."

THE FACTS: Romney has indeed repeatedly and wrongly accused the president of traveling the world early in his presidency and apologizing for U.S. behavior. Obama didn't say "sorry" in those travels. But in this debate, Romney at last explained the context of his accusation: not that Obama apologized literally, but that he had been too deferential in his visits to Europe, Latin America and the Muslim world.

Obama said while abroad that the U.S. acted "contrary to our traditions and ideals" in its treatment of terrorist suspects, that "America has too often been selective in its promotion of democracy," that the U.S. "certainly shares blame" for international economic turmoil and has sometimes "shown arrogance and been dismissive, even divisive" toward Europe. Yet he also praised America and its ideals.

___

OBAMA: "What I think the American people recognize is, after a decade of war, it's time to do some nation-building here at home. And what we can now do is free up some resources to, for example, put Americans back to work, especially our veterans, rebuilding our roads, our bridges, our schools."

THE FACTS: If Romney's "apology tour" was a campaign whopper, so has been Obama's repeated claim that ending expensive wars meant the U.S. now has money to spend at home. There is no such peace dividend because the wars were financed largely by borrowing.

Yet Obama, too, watched his words a little more carefully Monday night, with his milder suggestion that "some resources" are freed up. That's a more plausible point, if only because U.S. "resources" include the ability to continue to go deeper in debt, but for the purpose of fixing roads, bridges and the like, instead of for making war.

___

ROMNEY: "Syria is Iran's only ally in the Arab world. It's their route to the sea."

THE FACTS: Iran has a large southern coastline with access to the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman. And it has no land border with Syria.

___

ROMNEY: Said that when he was Massachusetts governor, high-school students who graduated in the top quarter "got a four-year, tuition-free ride at any Massachusetts public institution of higher learning."

OBAMA: "That happened before you came into office."

ROMNEY: "That was actually mine, actually, Mr. President. You got that fact wrong."

THE FACTS: Romney was right. The John and Abigail Adams scholarship program began in 2004 when he was governor.

___

ROMNEY: "I said that we would provide guarantees, and that was what was able to allow these (auto) companies to go through bankruptcy, to come out of bankruptcy. Under no circumstance would I do anything other than to help this industry get on its feet. And the idea that has been suggested that I would liquidate the industry. Of course not. That's the height of silliness. I have never said I would liquidate the industry."

OBAMA: "Gov. Romney, you keep on trying to airbrush history here. You were very clear that you would not provide government assistance to the U.S. auto companies, even if they went through bankruptcy. You said that they could get it in the private marketplace. That wasn't true. They would have gone through a liquidation."

THE FACTS: It's true that Romney didn't preach liquidation of GM and Chrysler and that he saw his approach as a way to save the auto companies. But his was an improbable course. Opposing a government bailout, Romney instead favored private loans to finance the automakers' restructuring in bankruptcy court. His proposed government loan guarantees would only have come after the companies went through bankruptcy. At the time, however, both automakers were nearly out of cash and were bad credit risks. The banking system was in crisis and private money wasn't available. So without hefty government aid, the assets of both companies probably would have been sold in liquidation auctions.

___

ROMNEY on SYRIA: "What I'm afraid of is we've watched over the past year or so, first the president saying, 'Well, we'll let the U.N. deal with it.' And Assad — excuse me, Kofi Annan — came in and said we're going to try to have a cease-fire. That didn't work. Then it went to the Russians and said, 'Let's see if you can do something.' We should be playing the leadership role there."

OBAMA: "We are playing the leadership role."

THE FACTS: Under Obama, the United States has taken a lead in trying to organize Syria's splintered opposition, even if the U.S. isn't interested in military intervention or providing direct arms support to the rebels. The administration has organized dozens of meetings in Turkey and the Middle East aimed at rallying Syria's political groups and rebel formations to agree on a common vision for a democratic future after Syrian President Bashar Assad is defeated. And Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton brought dozens of nations together as part of the Friends of Syria group to combine aid efforts to Syria's opposition and help it win the support of as many as Syrians as possible. The U.S. also is involved in vetting recipients of military aid from America's Arab allies like Saudi Arabia and Qatar.

Romney is partly right in pointing out Obama's failure to win U.N. support for international action in Syria. But the Friends of Syria group has helped bring in hundreds of millions of dollars in humanitarian aid and other forms of assistance to Syrian civilians and the political opposition.

___

OBAMA: "What I would not have had done was left 10,000 troops in Iraq that would tie us down. And that certainly would not help us in the Middle East." THE FACTS: Obama was suggesting that he had never favored keeping U.S. troops in Iraq beyond the December 2011 withdrawal deadline that the Bush administration had negotiated with the Iraqi government. Actually, the Obama administration tried for many months to win Iraqi agreement to keeping several thousand American troops there beyond 2011 to continue training and advising the Iraqi armed forces. The talks broke down over a disagreement on legal immunity for U.S. troops.

___

ROMNEY: "We have an enormous trade imbalance with China, and it's worse this year than last year and it's worse last year than the year before."

THE FACTS: That's true as far as it goes but the imbalance is far from unique to the Obama years. The U.S. has run a trade deficit with China since 1985 and the gap has widened nearly every year since. According to Chinese customs data, Beijing reported a $181.3 billion trade surplus with the United States in 2010. That grew to $202.3 billion last year. The surplus for the first nine months of this year was $161.9 billion, well ahead of the level at this point in 2011.

___

OBAMA: "You are familiar with jobs being shipped overseas because you invested in companies that were shipping jobs overseas. And, you know, that's your right. I mean, that's how our free market works."

THE FACTS: Bain Capital, the private equity company that Romney ran from 1984 to 2001, did invest in several companies that shifted American jobs and operations from the U.S. to China and other foreign nations. In one instance in 1998, Bain bought a 10 percent investment stake in Global-Tech, a Hong Kong firm that used mainland Chinese factories to make toasters and other appliances for U.S. manufacturers that were phasing out American operations and jobs. Romney held full Bain partnership stakes in that deal before the firm sold its holding later that year. Bain also invested in several firms that outsourced to Mexico in the early 2000s, but by then Romney had begun shifting away from Bain to a role running the Winter Olympic Games in Salt Lake City. And in almost all of these cases, it remains unclear how much oversight Bain had in the overseas shifts. The Romney campaign has said that Romney's holdings were mostly passive in nature, particularly after he left the firm.

___

ROMNEY: "In the 2000 debates, there was no mention of terrorism."

THE FACTS: There was passing mention of terrorism in the 2000 debates. In the Oct. 17, 2000, debate between Democrat Al Gore and Republican George W. Bush, Gore talked about his work in Congress to "deal with the problems of terrorism and these new weapons of mass destruction." And in the vice presidential debate, Democrat Joe Lieberman defended the Clinton administration's record of preparing the armed forces to "meet the threats of the new generation of tomorrow, of weapons of mass destruction, of ballistic missiles, terrorism, cyber warfare." Romney's larger point, that the U.S. did not anticipate anything on the scale of terrorist threat that existed, is supported by the light attention paid to the subject in the debates.

http://news.yahoo.com/fact-check-flunking-geography-history-033954434--election.html

1 Like

Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by thelastPope(m): 4:43pm On Oct 23, 2012
Most of you support Obama simply because he is black. If you take away your black tinted glasses, it is clear he is a disaster. He is just a sleeky talker! Lol

1 Like

Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by KayDee4: 5:01pm On Oct 23, 2012
thelastPope:

What does a "noderate republican" mean? Lol. That is a bogus terminology used by a confused press. Do not confuse a man's belief with his temperament! Its like saying someone is a tyranic liberal! Or a nice Al qaeda! And of course, there are nice Al Qaeda guys! Being "moderate" or "hardline" is a temperament, not a core belief! Obama is a hardliner!

It simply means you're not a conservative extremist and you're flexible, willing to compromise and meet half-way with the opposition to reach an agreement and get stuff done. Cooperation is not in the dictionary of the conservatives. Obama is not a hardliner, he has on different occassions expressed a desire to work with the stubborn repubs but to no avail.
Reagan had to budge from his initial 'concrete' decision not to raise taxes when he saw that the budget couldnt be balanced unless taxes were raised; republicans like Ryan insist that on no account should you raise taxes on coporations or the rich (or end their tax cuts) even when the huge deficit desperately needs to be slashed.
Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by nitlad: 5:18pm On Oct 23, 2012
thelastPope: Most of you support Obama simply because he is black. If you take away your black tinted glasses, it is clear he is a disaster. He is just a sleeky talker! Lol
With all due respect mate, that's just a bunch of malarkey. Preposterous.
Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by thelastPope(m): 5:47pm On Oct 23, 2012
nitlad: With all due respect mate, that's just a bunch of malarkey. Preposterous.

I wasn't expecting an endorsement! Lol
Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by thelastPope(m): 5:54pm On Oct 23, 2012
Kay-Dee:

It simply means you're not a conservative extremist and you're flexible, willing to compromise and meet half-way with the opposition to reach an agreement and get stuff done. Cooperation is not in the dictionary of the conservatives. Obama is not a hardliner, he has on different occassions expressed a desire to work with the stubborn repubs but to no avail.
Reagan had to budge from his initial 'concrete' decision not to raise taxes when he saw that the budget couldnt be balanced unless taxes were raised; republicans like Ryan insist that on no account should you raise taxes on coporations or the rich (or end their tax cuts) even when the huge deficit desperately needs to be slashed.

These is nothing like "moderate republican" please. Its just jargon.

Obama is not a hardliner? So you wake up in the morning, create a law, go to parliament and ask them to stamp it. When they don't, you take them to the court of public opinion and blackmail them. Then when they still don't bulge. You say they are not cooperative and label them the "No" group! Its called political blackmail. Its the bane of poor leadership. How did people like clinton do what they did? Its called diplomacy. Obama has got zero diplomacy. he is divisive. He even lost it with democratic members at a time and Bill Clinton had to step in to save his azz! Lol. He is a hardliner!
Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by nitlad: 6:00pm On Oct 23, 2012
thelastPope:

I wasn't expecting an endorsement! Lol
Fair enough. That's not to say yhur erroneous assertion should not be refuted. grin
Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by thelastPope(m): 6:31pm On Oct 23, 2012
nitlad: Fair enough. That's not to say yhur erroneous assertion should not be refuted. grin

For your mind! Lol
Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by Nobody: 7:58pm On Oct 23, 2012
thelastPope: Most of you support Obama simply because he is black. If you take away your black tinted glasses, it is clear he is a disaster. He is just a sleeky talker! Lol

Bless you for thinking outta the box.... Disregard em bias m'fckers
Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by nitlad: 8:01pm On Oct 23, 2012
thelastPope:

For your mind! Lol
Soothe yhurself Mister.
Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by dotcomnamename: 12:06am On Oct 24, 2012
codeline:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tecohezcA78

I hope Romney wins because what made US great is not in its leadership nor economy or military but what their founding fathers stood for. But America will fall if they continue the part they trail, check out their history, they usually declare national fasting and prayer. Their congress men printed the first bible in the US. George.W and others based their principle on the word of God, check out what is written on the liberty bell and others u will find the word of God in it. Romney believes in God and not a free thinker.

Thanks Seun, i've spent hours tryng to get this O! grin

1 Like

Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by abiL(f): 12:57am On Oct 24, 2012
Seun, my view grin

So basically, Romney mostly said he would have done the same as Obama in regards to Egypt, Libya, Iran... except he would have done it faster, which I very much doubt.

In Romney's defence, knowledge of foreign policy is not the question. However, he did showed knowledge and did not speak in platitudes.

A philosophy of appeasement to foreign governments, and non-participation in foreign problems with bombing as a means of attack (and deaths of innocent people) is not a foreign policy. This is how 911 happened. In Clinton’s years attacks increasied until they became emboldened.

All said and done, if I was in America, I'll vote for Obama, Not because he's black, but because he has accomplished more than anyone expected of him. He has also greatly improved their health care legislation.

Obama has better visions for America than Romney and his republican followers.

1 Like

Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by KayDee4: 2:26am On Oct 24, 2012
thelastPope:

These is nothing like "moderate republican" please. Its just jargon.

Obama is not a hardliner? So you wake up in the morning, create a law, go to parliament and ask them to stamp it. When they don't, you take them to the court of public opinion and blackmail them. Then when they still don't bulge. You say they are not cooperative and label them the "No" group! Its called political blackmail. Its the bane of poor leadership. How did people like clinton do what they did? Its called diplomacy. Obama has got zero diplomacy. he is divisive. He even lost it with democratic members at a time and Bill Clinton had to step in to save his azz! Lol. He is a hardliner!

Perhaps you have a better word for it.

How would you describe someone like Olympia Snowe ? or Charlie Crist (fromer Florida governor), a republican who is endorsing Obama for this election because he sees Obama as a great non-partisan leader, what is he ? You cannot claim that all republicans are absolutely on the same page with respect to their views and ideologies.

If Obama was divisive and operating the way you described (forcing laws on parliament) then the jobs bill the republicans have been holding hostage would have been signed by now.
How do you explain a case where the republicans turn against a bill co-authored by their members just because they now realise it will create jobs and add a feather to Obama's cap.
If you come to a negotiation table and someone offers you a deal that flushes all your previous work down the drain, i'm sure you wont take it. The house republicans are not ready to cooperate on anything and that is why someone like Eric Cantor is battling with single digit approval rating (ridiculous).
Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by Goldieluks: 5:04am On Oct 24, 2012
nitlad: Yhu should have left her to wallow in her pseudo-nostalgia. grin

No need to be spiteful. Explain why Gadaffi's death was a mistake so that I no more wallow in pseudo-nostalgia. Maybe I missed something out.
Re: Obama Vs Romney: US Presidential Debate On Tuesday October 23 2012 by NewsFlash101: 4:49am On Oct 25, 2012
a

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Russia Got Richer By $600 Billion While U.S Lost $6 Trillion Last Year (Photo) / Yoweri Museveni: Life Cannot Stop Because We Banned Facebook / South African Army Deploy In Cape Town - Local Drug Wars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.