Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,702 members, 7,813,313 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:41 AM

Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? (5282 Views)

5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion / Can You Believe In God Without Religion ? / Will The World Had Been A Better Place Without Religion? Your Thoughts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Frostyzone(m): 7:08am On Oct 24, 2012
thelastPope:

Religion does not make man do anything. Man is the one making religion do things! Religion is not a living thing, man is. Religion doesn't have a mind and heart, man does! Man's heart is wicked. It will do evil, with or "without" religion.

On a different note, there is nothing like a man without religion! Atheism is a religion! Atheism is man's worship of himself. That is what is described in the bible as 666! It is one of the earliest religions in the world. It is what was practised during the building of the tower of Babel!
My dear, there is no such thing as 666 or tower of babel. They are all myth from the christian's holy book much similar to Zeus stories in greek mythology.

1 Like

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by God2man(m): 7:12am On Oct 24, 2012
Techwriter: Yes the world would be better without religion. Religion has caused more wars and head aches in the world than any other philosophy. In fact, Jesus came to abolish religion.

The problem is that many people describe Christianity as a Religion. Christianity is God's search for man, while religion is the opposite – man's search for God. “The difference between Christianity and every other faith in the world is that all other religions are about man trying to reach up to God.  Christianity is about God reaching down to man.” 

This is a very important distinction, and it is core to what I believe, so I would like to try to clarify what I mean.  Here is the way I am defining religion: 

Religion is a system of beliefs or a code of moral conduct that judges (qualifies or disqualifies) a person based on their adherence and obedience to certain codes, rules, laws, traditions, or the performance of required acts. 

Religion (almost universally) is enforced by those in power in an attempt to maintain, increase, or abuse their power over others.  Religion is the creation of man and is not the intention or design of God.

Religion says slave, Jesus says son,
Religion puts you in shackles but Jesus sets you free. Religion makes you blind, but Jesus lets you see

So if you ask me whether the world would be better without a believe in God I would say NO. But better without religion I will say Yes! Why? Because without a believe in higher powers, conscience is destroyed and life generally becomes meaningless.

Even Bertrand Russell a well known atheist seemed to understand this well as he fatalistically observed, “Unless you assume a God, the question of life's purpose is meaningless.

Without God, life has no purpose, and without purpose, life has no meaning.  Without meaning, life has no significance or hope.”
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by goodnice: 7:25am On Oct 24, 2012
I don't think so..
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Emusan(m): 7:27am On Oct 24, 2012
solidbroda: Before christianity, men lived.
Before Islam, men lived.
If religion is scrapped, men will live.
[color=#990000][/color] mumu, hav u ever tink abt carnibalism of human being. If nt 4 som religion i.e christianity, mayb dey wil hav put ur head n pot by nw.
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by LordBabs(m): 8:11am On Oct 24, 2012
In the absence of truth(what actually exists), lies(what imaginarily exist) are expediently justifiable and tolerable. However with the advent of truth, lies become extravagantly unjustifiable and intolerable.
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by DrGboy(m): 8:12am On Oct 24, 2012
Frostyzone:
My dear, there is no such thing as 666 or tower of babel. They are all myth from the christian's holy book much similar to Zeus stories in greek mythology.
u call the christian's holy book a myth....smh i pity u. I wonder if u believe God exists or i guess u're another atheist trying to prove a point.
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Nobody: 8:17am On Oct 24, 2012
Dr.Gboy:

u call the christian's holy book a myth....smh i pity u. I wonder if u believe God exists or i guess u're another atheist trying to prove a point.

Have you read the Quran? Do you believe its a myth?

Haave you read the book of mormon? Do you believe its a myth?

Have you read the book of the dead? Do you believ its a myth?

Why is it that one's religion is not a myth? But others are not true?

5 Likes

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by beejaay: 8:22am On Oct 24, 2012
Logicboy03:

Have you read the Quran? Do you believe its a myth?

Haave you read the book of mormon? Do you believe its a myth?

Have you read the book of the dead? Do you believ its a myth?

Why is it that one's religion is not a myth? But others are not true?

Dont Mind him. maybe he didnt know that the bible was written more than five decades after the death of christ. maybe he didnt understand there is different between historical jesus and Christ Jesus. it will do him good by reading everything he can get on JESUS SEMINAR. people need to start asking questions and stop being scared or afraid of something they aint sure of yet

2 Likes

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by gbadexy(m): 8:48am On Oct 24, 2012
Man has always been fascinated with supernatural things.
If Islam and christianity never existed, we would still be practicing our traditional religion and the whites would still have the free thinkers and the witches.
I believe in Islam but to address this topic, I would say the world would have been better without religion.
People weren't as wicked when they knew repercussion was swift as now, even though the new religion makes us conscious of our action and its consequence.
Although an islamic state (not secular country) would have a sane and just society with the practice of strict sharia law.
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Nobody: 8:49am On Oct 24, 2012
beejaay:

Dont Mind him. maybe he didnt know that the bible was written more than five decades after the death of christ. maybe he didnt understand there is different between historical jesus and Christ Jesus. it will do him good by reading everything he can get on JESUS SEMINAR. people need to start asking questions and stop being scared or afraid of something they aint sure of yet

Thank you
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Nobody: 8:50am On Oct 24, 2012
gbadexy: Man has always been fascinated with supernatural things.
If Islam and christianity never existed, we would still be practicing our traditional religion and the whites would still have the free thinkers and the witches.
I believe in Islam but to address this topic, I would say the world would have been better without religion.
People weren't as wicked when they knew repercussion was swift as now, even though the new religion makes us conscious of our action and its consequence.
Although an islamic state (not secular country) would have a sane and just society with the practice of strict sharia law.

There is not one place where sharia law is practiced that there is freedom or proper justicefor the people.

1 Like

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Spreader: 8:54am On Oct 24, 2012
There are millions of people who profess no religion nor any belief in a god. They are atheists. Others, agnostics, believe that God is unknown and probably unknowable. However, that obviously does not mean that they are people without principles or ethics, any more than professing a religion means that one does have them. However, if one accepts religion as being “devotion to some principle; strict fidelity or faithfulness; conscientiousness; pious affection or attachment,” then most people, including atheists and agnostics, do have some form of religious devotion in their lives.

Ok,certainly world history make us wonder what role religion has played in the many wars that have devastated mankind and caused untold suffering. Why have so many people killed and been killed in the name of religion.

So no doubt there are many things done in the name of religion today that you do not think are right. Often you may hear about people who have very immoral ways of life, but who are respectable members of churches. You may even know about religious leaders who have a very bad way of life, but who are still accepted as good religious leaders in their churches. Some religious leaders have said that homosexuality and having sex relations without being married are not wrong. But you may know that the Bible does not say that. In fact, God had his people of Israel punished with death because they practiced and did such things. For the same reason he destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah. (Jude 7) Soon he will do the same to all modern-day false religion
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by mkmyers45(m): 10:18am On Oct 24, 2012
Like i tell many, Religion is a mass control drug that is very much needed...Religion won't die because many draw daily energy from it...but religion is evolving to suit mordern hence they are trying to conform to look cool..Religion is important so is Freethought.
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Nobody: 10:20am On Oct 24, 2012
mkmyers45: Like i tell many, Religion is a mass control drug that is very much needed...Religion won't die because many draw daily energy from it...but religion is evolving to suit mordern hence they are trying to conform to look cool..Religion is important so is Freethought.

Sweden, Denmark and Japan prove that free-thought is important and religion isnt.

3 Likes

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by goofie: 10:58am On Oct 24, 2012
i hv a feeling that some pple make somewhat anti-christian or anti-religious comments r actually d ones u'l see crying out to God in church and even rolling on the floor....

for the question, i think a sense of a higher power and a relationship with the Almighty keeps us contained and in check.

we have religion and pple still fall short. some return, some dont. what more if we dint have?
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by beejaay: 11:07am On Oct 24, 2012
Logicboy03:

There is not one place where sharia law is practiced that there is freedom or proper justicefor the people.
can you just imagine how people think? by subjecting people to laws that they have know say as to when and how its being unleashed is an injustice to freedom of choice of people. the shariah law is one form of Monarch mind control game. am a Muslim myself or maybe a theist and i will continue to be (am a muslim because of the definition of the world Islam which means TO SURRENDER TO ALL THAT IT IS. i surrender to death, i surrender to sickeness and sound health whichever comes, i surrender to life, i surrender to consequences of all my actions, i surrender to all things that i have directly or indirectly put on myself). I dont believe in obligation and i dont believe some people are messenger of God and others like me are not. I dont believe in Praying all the time as a form of obligation( i pray whenever i feel like praying and whenever i feel i need to be calm or maybe i should call it a form of meditation that involve recitations), i dont believe in Zakat being obligation but i believe in free-giving (zakat was created to fund the center during the beginning of Islamic era). I dont believe in Pilgrimage to mecca as an obligation ( i only see it as a tourism to marvel at the creation of the great intellect, something i will do to all other places with equal right), I believe in Prophet Muhammed to be a prophet cos am also a prophet (even though what we preach and deliver might be different but i know a message is a message). the great Intellect (otherwise known as GOD) created us equally and no one is above the other and no one should suppress what others want/wantnot (Love is Love when is freely giving and turn to hate when its forcefully asked. if God want me to Love Him he will surely want me to discover it on my own term and not ask someone to force to love me)
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Nobody: 11:11am On Oct 24, 2012
goofie: i hv a feeling that some pple make somewhat anti-christian or anti-religious comments r actually d ones u'l see crying out to God in church and even rolling on the floor....

for the question, i think a sense of a higher power and a relationship with the Almighty keeps us contained and in check.

we have religion and pple still fall short. some return, some dont. what more if we dint have?

This is what religion does to people.

Having beliefs in something very irrational

1 Like

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Nobody: 11:12am On Oct 24, 2012
beejaay:
can you just imagine how people think? by subjecting people to laws that they have know say as to when and how its being unleashed is an injustice to freedom of choice of people. the shariah law is one form of Monarch mind control game. am a Muslim myself or maybe a theist and i will continue to be (am a muslim because of the definition of the world Islam which means TO SURRENDER TO ALL THAT IT IS. i surrender to death, i surrender to sickeness and sound health whichever comes, i surrender to life, i surrender to consequences of all my actions, i surrender to all things that i have directly or indirectly put on myself). I dont believe in obligation and i dont believe some people are messenger of God and others like me are not. I dont believe in Praying all the time as a form of obligation( i pray whenever i feel like praying and whenever i feel i need to be calm or maybe i should call it a form of meditation that involve recitations), i dont believe in Zakat being obligation but i believe in free-giving (zakat was created to fund the center during the beginning of Islamic era). I dont believe in Pilgrimage to mecca as an obligation ( i only see it as a tourism to marvel at the creation of the great intellect, something i will do to all other places with equal right), I believe in Prophet Muhammed to be a prophet cos am also a prophet (even though what we preach and deliver might be different but i know a message is a message). the great Intellect (otherwise known as GOD) created us equally and no one is above the other and no one should suppress what others want/wantnot (Love is Love when is freely giving and turn to hate when its forcefully asked. if God want me to Love Him he will surely want me to discover it on my own term and not ask someone to force to love me)

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by mkmyers45(m): 11:13am On Oct 24, 2012
Logicboy03:

Sweden, Denmark and Japan prove that free-thought is important and religion isnt.

Religion keeps things in check...If you fail to see the importance of religion you will never appreciate the freedom of freethought
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Nobody: 11:17am On Oct 24, 2012
mkmyers45: Religion keeps things in check...If you fail to see the importance of religion you will never appreciate the freedom of freethought

Did you get that religious marketing quote from your pastor?

I am asking because your comment makes no sense. Free-thought is independent of religion. Religion restricts free-thought.

Ifyou truly questioned your religion, you wouldnt have a religion

1 Like

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Mckybarf(m): 11:22am On Oct 24, 2012
dekung: Well, I wont agree that the world would be more peaceful once religion is abolished, however we will have one less thing to kill ourselves over and tithe paying christians would have more money in their pockets.
what is your beef with tithe paying. If according to you it is not neccesary, fine, but leave the rest of us who find it necessary be. After all, it isnt your money. People waste money on phones, ipads, cars, private jets, drinks, women, sex and nobody has a problem with that. Why bother those who wanna trust God with their substance by investing in his kingdom?
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by goofie: 11:31am On Oct 24, 2012
Logicboy03:

This is what religion does to people.

Having beliefs in something very irrational

i dont quite understand u
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Nobody: 11:31am On Oct 24, 2012
Mckybarf: what is your beef with tithe paying. If according to you it is not neccesary, fine, but leave the rest of us who find it necessary be. After all, it isnt your money. People waste money on phones, ipads, cars, private jets, drinks, women, sex and nobody has a problem with that. Why bother those who wanna trust God with their substance by investing in his kingdom?

There are those who are brainwashed into giving tithes even though they are poor. As human beings, we care about hem but as a fanatic christian, your dogma shouldnt be criticized and those people should be left alone and uncared for.
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Nobody: 11:32am On Oct 24, 2012
goofie:

i dont quite understand u

You might just be religious

1 Like

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Mckybarf(m): 11:36am On Oct 24, 2012
Mckybarf: what is your beef with tithe paying. If according to you it is not neccesary, fine, but leave the rest of us who find it necessary be. After all, it isnt your money. People waste money on phones, ipads, cars, private jets, drinks, women, sex and nobody has a problem with that. Why bother those who wanna trust God with their substance by investing in his kingdom?
i pay tithe as a sign of the faith i have in him, not because it is a requirement for going to heaven, even though he commanded it so. If the pastor to whom i pay it manages to misuse it, that is his problem and he will deal with him as he wishes. I have done my deed of faith
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Nobody: 11:53am On Oct 24, 2012
Emusan: [color=#990000][/color] mumu, hav u ever tink abt carnibalism of human being. If nt 4 som religion i.e christianity, mayb dey wil hav put ur head n pot by nw.

Funny how the harshest comment always come from people who supposedly taught to love everyone no matter what. If and i say IF the christian god really exists,do u think he hate people who dont believe in him? Science and logic has been the enemy of the church for too long. Its time we start opening some primitive minds

1 Like

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Oct 24, 2012
mkmyers45: Religion keeps things in check...If you fail to see the importance of religion you will never appreciate the freedom of freethought

And yet you will be the first to judge gay people. Freedom of thought indeed!

1 Like

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Oct 24, 2012
Mckybarf: i pay tithe as a sign of the faith i have in him, not because it is a requirement for going to heaven, even though he commanded it so. If the pastor to whom i pay it manages to misuse it, that is his problem and he will deal with him as he wishes. I have done my deed of faith

Faith in what actually? You are only making another man richer! You are better of giving your weekly donation to the sick and needy. Faith wont make your life better than others,only your actions would.

1 Like

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by mkmyers45(m): 12:08pm On Oct 24, 2012
ifeness:

And yet you will be the first to judge gay people. Freedom of indeed!
So religion serves no importance?
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by mkmyers45(m): 12:13pm On Oct 24, 2012
Logicboy03:

Did you get that religious marketing quote from your pastor?

I am asking because your comment makes no sense. Free-thought is independent of religion. Religion restricts free-thought.

Ifyou truly questioned your religion, you wouldnt have a religion
Duh, Incase freethinking hasn't showed you MANY depend on Religion just like an addict on crack..take that away and unleash hell
Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Oct 24, 2012
mkmyers45: So religion serves no importance?

As there been more advantage religious people benefitted from? You all fall sick,cry,run into debt,lose loved ones like the rest of us........except that religious people are 50% crazier. Why would you donate money to a pastor every week when it would be better to give it to the needy?

1 Like

Re: Would We Be Better Off Without Religion? by mkmyers45(m): 12:44pm On Oct 24, 2012
ifeness:

As there been more advantage religious people benefitted from? You all fall sick,cry,run into debt,lose loved ones like the rest of us........except that religious people are 50% crazier. Why would you donate money to a pastor every week when it would be better to give it to the needy?
Yawn..im not religous btw..and tnx for assuming

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do We Blame The Devil For Our Misdeeds? / Seun And His Fellow Atheist, What's Your Say On This? / How Do I Deliver This Monkey From The Spirit Of Masturbation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.