Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,930 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:44 AM

Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir (19506 Views)

Dr Nwaezeigwe Was Paid By Buhari To Write The False Review / Obasanjo Pushing HID Awolowo On Wheel-Chair (Picture) / Exclusive - Chief Obafemi Awolowo On Biafra (in His Own Words) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by Nobody: 1:12pm On Oct 25, 2012

1 Like

Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by pazienza(m): 1:13pm On Oct 25, 2012
proudlyafrican: Like Dr. Nwaezeigwe stated it is not necessary disturbing myself with someone`s personal opinion. Achebe`s statement in his book is his personal view and opinion.However,promoting hate and abusing the mind of young Igbo people against the Yoruba`s is a senseless thought for an old man.

Achebe's memoir might be his personal opinion,but it's an opinion that over 90% of igbo youths and elders share ,so quit the BS about achebe abusing the mind of young igbos. Dr nwaezeigwe is a maniac,how can an igbo man justify awolowo's 20 pounds policy,it's obvious that this man has a personal agenda,there is no other way to explain this his yoruba asslicking.
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by Nobody: 1:16pm On Oct 25, 2012
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by Sealeddeal(m): 1:16pm On Oct 25, 2012
What has this man actually said? Why do the 'Yorubas' believe him more than that of Awolowo and Achebe? If Yorubas believe this historian,they are inadvertently saying that Awolowo and Achebe,who were participant in the war,are liers.Awolowo said that he starved children but the children were not his target.Achebe said that Awolowo deliberately starved children as a weapon of war citing Awolowos' claim of such.but this doctor is trying to say something that no one but Yorubas understand.they want to hide under this cloak of a miserable lecturer to exonorate themselves/their leaders.All the Doctors claim has not,in any way,proved that Awolowo didnt commit genocide. This doctor's claim can just be regarded as,'why biafra lost the war'.Biafra govt were aware of saboteurs in their midst back then and we the present Igbos know that there are saboteurs in our midst up until now.Dr Nwaezeigwe didnt provide anything to prove his claim and non of his claims seem to suggest that Awolowo didnt commit genocide. This issue has been discussed severally and i do not see any reason to believe that this Dr Nwaezeigwe has more understanding then the participant in the war. The Yorubas will actually vote him to power because it seems he said this because of his meeting with Afeniferes who told him to help Yorubas to come out of this. The truth remains that Obafemi Awolowo was a mass murderer who,out of sheer love of death and cowardice,killed himself. Achebe is right.Dr Nwaezeigwe is schizophrenic. Yorubas supporting him are beggers.

6 Likes

Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by ZeusI: 1:19pm On Oct 25, 2012
That man is insignificant in Igbo and those are the kind of nonentities barbarians run to for solace in times of trouble. Awolowo is a mass murderer of God chosen people(black jews), and history will forever dispise him and his tribe and his acolytes except for the likes of 'soyinka'. Awo's name is a curse!
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by pazienza(m): 1:21pm On Oct 25, 2012
proudlyafrican: [/b]

Yes,it is [b]war
and you have to subdue the enemies by any means necessary,i hope that answers you right since you don`t want to use your brain.

Exactly,Awolowo used starvation as a weapon of warfare against biafra,Achebe just re echoed that fact. So what is this maniac silly Dr blabing about.
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by oshyno(m): 1:23pm On Oct 25, 2012
D guy can't even take a flight sef.Travelling all d way t Lag on a bus ? No wonder hez licking d Yoruba guy buutt.Some can do anytin just t get into d mainstream of politics.Uv nt read d book yet uv made a sweeping remark like dat.What if if maybe at d middle of book some blames were apportioned to d Mbadiwe and co ? Like someone said some Igbos played dirty but d fa ct remains dat Awolowo made those annihilating decisions which in d world we live today is a genocide.Is dis hard t comprehend .
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by nduchucks: 1:28pm On Oct 25, 2012
Kudos to Dr. Nwaezeigwe, an intellectual, realist, and bridge builder. His write-up is sound, factual, objective, and devoid of the inferiority complex which is evident in many posts by certain Igbos on NL. These wayward and senseless Igbos need to give up their uncivilized and self destructive behavior.

The said destructive behavior is exhibited in the ongoing Eze NL Gburugburu election which has become a charade. Reasonable people like Ogugua88 are being demonized for venturing out of the box, and I predict that Dr. Nwaezeigwe will be similarly demonized on this thread.

3 Likes

Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by klax(m): 1:33pm On Oct 25, 2012
@proudlyafrican: "Like Dr. Nwaezeigwe stated it is not necessary disturbing myself with someone`s personal opinion. Achebe`s statement in his book is his personal view and opinion.However,promoting hate and abusing the mind of young Igbo people against the Yoruba`s is a senseless thought for an old man."

The almighty God of heaven will bless you and your family. This is what I have be saying all along that where does all these take us to? No where for goodness sake. How long are we going to remain on this long forgone issue but instead one of my own people even insulted my family for saying we should move on and let the past be left at rest. Anyway mr proudlyafrica God bless you may you live long.
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by Sealeddeal(m): 1:36pm On Oct 25, 2012
ndu_chucks: Kudos to Dr. Nwaezeigwe, an intellectual, realist, and bridge builder. His write-up is sound, factual, objective, and devoid of the inferiority complex which is evident in many posts by certain Igbos on NL. These wayward and senseless Igbos need to give up their uncivilized and self destructive behavior.

The said destructive behavior is exhibited in the ongoing Eze NL Gburugburu election which has become a charade. Reasonable people like Ogugua88 are being demonized for venturing out of the box, and I predict that Dr. Nwaezeigwe will be similarly demonized on this thread.
...what a digression! you may have come from a clan that adore foolishness.
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by nduchucks: 1:43pm On Oct 25, 2012
Sealeddeal: ...what a digression! you may have come from a clan that adore foolishness.

Act in civilized and educated manner by communicating your specific disagreement with what I wrote and let us know what you own views are. I don't discuss personalities with small minds, small boys, or intellectual midgets. If you are unable to do this, kindly get lost.

1 Like

Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by Sealeddeal(m): 1:43pm On Oct 25, 2012
klax: @proudlyafrican: "Like Dr. Nwaezeigwe stated it is not necessary disturbing myself with someone`s personal opinion. Achebe`s statement in his book is his personal view and opinion.However,promoting hate and abusing the mind of young Igbo people against the Yoruba`s is a senseless thought for an old man."

The almighty God of heaven will bless you and your family. This is what I have be saying all along that where does all these take us to? No where for goodness sake. How long are we going to remain on this long forgone issue but instead one of my own people even insulted my family for saying we should move on and let the past be left at rest. Anyway mr proudlyafrica God bless you may you live long.

.....the people of SE and people of SS minorities used to have similar disunity with the Eastern region.but before,they buried the hatchet,they presented fatcs where they wronged each others and each of them apologised and now,SE/SS are in unity. So,before SE and SW will unite,'truth' must be told.SE and SW may be in peace but Unity will continue to elude them so far as some people wants to hide the truth.
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by ZeusI: 1:44pm On Oct 25, 2012
sesanrota:

why wont you agree with him as the truth you refuse to see is bitter...
Soyinka is a reputable figure in Africa and beyond, of yoruba extraction and a critics of the war as at the time thus: a participant(in a way). And this same soyinka acquiesced to the write-up(by Achebe), and the accusation against Awo, would your disregard this wise fellow's observation and accept the commentary of a man who is appearing in the news for the first time - seeking for some cheap publicity - probably promised some favour to serve as a defence base for yorubas. To prove the irrationality of this barbarians, how comes the utterance of some renagade Igboo and saboteur becomes of import over that of the only qualified sage in yoruba land(soyinka)? Maybe the reasoning of a nonentity from Igbo race takes prominence over that of an internationally reputed yoruba sage, right. Choose your side.
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by tunnytox(m): 1:48pm On Oct 25, 2012
Some Igbos just like to blame others, if some of the so called biafran leaders were involved in sabotaging their own people by embezzling money meant for weapons, diverting food aid to their families and even selling weapons to the enemy yet Igbos don't see them as betrayals but prefer to demonise Awo. This makes me to believe that whining and inability to take responsibility is somehow coded in some of these Igbos genes.
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by advocate666: 1:50pm On Oct 25, 2012
alj harem:

Why for speaking the truth ?

You curse and insult a man trying to sought out for peace but bless and praise a man that wants war and killed 2 million Igbos according you Biafrans ?

It DOES NOT MAKE SENSE WHY YOU PEOPLE THINK LIKE THIS.

MR Nwa is in Nigeria and knows the truth, an Ideeeiot is in america shouting war and you believe the one in america over the one in Nigeria ?

Do you people have brains at all ? On a serious note undecided

You are full of it. I'm happy you call him MR Nwa. He will like it very much, the asz kisser.

With our lack of brains we have zero almajiri.
We are the only black nation that created and sustained its own country for 3 years against the world powers.

Your tribe with your "brains", what have you achieved?
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by ecolime(m): 1:52pm On Oct 25, 2012
bayulll01:
maad man keep ranting when nigeria divide we wil send u to ur pit state
Bro, leave the guy alone. It's really pointless to join words with stupid people.
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by advocate666: 1:53pm On Oct 25, 2012
Zeus I: [size=18pt]Maybe the reasoning of a nonentity from Igbo race takes prominence over that of an internationally reputed yoruba sage[/size].

You can say that again bros.
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by Ozichim(m): 1:59pm On Oct 25, 2012
ACM10: He made some very interesting contributions. But it will be unfair to review a book without reading it.
He has to understand that an average Onyeigbo do not consider Yorubas as enemies. Our grouse is with the conduct of Awolowo during and after the war.
The inference that Yoruba
had thrown a much stronger
loyal support to the
leadership of Nnamdi
Azikiwe than the Igbo ever
exhibited toward Chief
Obafemi Awolowo is a complete balderdash! It is true that NCNC were able to win some seats in the western region in 1952 election, but Yoruba support for Zik did not go beyond that. Remember that AG won some seats in the east too. Beyond Awo/Zik, Ndigbo have thrown their support behind Yorubas on countless occasions; Abiola, Obasanjo, etc. By the way, Awolowo and other Yoruba politicians often use an unflattering terms to describe Zik and Ndigbo. Read some of Awolowo's books or watch Akintola's video on youtube.

There are some rogue characters in Nigeria and Biafra during the civil war. So there is no doubt that some people engaged in activities which were inimical to the war effort. Singling out Biafrans is rather unfair.

On the other hand, Ironsi misread the mood of the northerners especially their elites. He did not envisage that situation will degenerate to 2nd coup de etat or pogrom. He kicked against all the advice from senior officers of the coup in the making. To demonstrate his detribalized nature, he surrounded himself with officers of northern origin.
When the mood of Nigerians were low, he embarked on "apology tour" trying to please the northerners who showed an outward contempt for his leadership. Releasing Awolowo who was a convicted felon during the regime of the deposed government headed by a northerner will be counterproductive to his "appease the north" effort. Ojukwu cannot release Awolowo either without an express permision from Ironsi.

There is no doubt that the true enemy of Ndigbo are Hausa/Fulani oligarchy. But they cannot do much if Yoruba withdraws their support for them.

The fact remains that Ndigbo and Yorubas are rivals; and Yorubas tends to exploit Hausa/Fulani-Igbo feuds to hurt us.

Yorubas made a feeble attempt to secede. But they could not do much since there was an intimidating presence of northern troops all over the western region.

I don't know Dr. Nwaezeigwe personally. Though he strikes me as an interesting character. But I'm disappointed with some of his assessment. Though some are logical from the revisionists point of view. I agree with him that Ndigbo and Yoruba should forge a common front which will be based on magnifying our common grounds and minimizing our point of differences. But he should consult his history books on where such mindless unity led us to in the past.

Thanks for that briefing. People should try to be straightforward. This is not politics. This efulefu is trying to assume on behalf of Awo and yorubas. If you cannot seceade, why forcing Nigerians to fight Biafra. Why must Biafrans stay with Yorubas and Hausas? Awo induced Nigerians to fight Biafrans.
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by Sealeddeal(m): 2:07pm On Oct 25, 2012
Zeus I: Soyinka is a reputable figure in Africa and beyond, of yoruba extraction and a critics of the war as at the time thus: a participant(in a way). And this same soyinka acquiesced to the write-up(by Achebe), and the accusation against Awo, would your disregard this wise fellow's observation and accept the commentary of a man who is appearing in the news for the first time - seeking for some cheap publicity - probably promised some favour to serve as a defence base for yorubas. To prove the irrationality of this barbarians, how comes the utterance of some renagade Igboo and saboteur becomes of import over that of the only qualified sage in yoruba land(soyinka)? Maybe the reasoning of a nonentity from Igbo race takes prominence over that of an internationally reputed yoruba sage, right. Choose your side.
....what do u expect from those set of Yorubas who like to talk nonsense.they adore 'Idiots'. Wonder why they fought against Using UNILAG to immortalise Abiola.just because Abiola refused to be an 'eediot'. If its Dr.Nwaezeigwe,the yorubas will easily accept it. They have no respect for Soyinka because he refused to take the oath of idiocy.they are the tribe of e'idiot and cowards.

2 Likes

Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by Sealeddeal(m): 2:12pm On Oct 25, 2012
Zeus I: Soyinka is a reputable figure in Africa and beyond, of yoruba extraction and a critics of the war as at the time thus: a participant(in a way). And this same soyinka acquiesced to the write-up(by Achebe), and the accusation against Awo, would your disregard this wise fellow's observation and accept the commentary of a man who is appearing in the news for the first time - seeking for some cheap publicity - probably promised some favour to serve as a defence base for yorubas. To prove the irrationality of this barbarians, how comes the utterance of some renagade Igboo and saboteur becomes of import over that of the only qualified sage in yoruba land(soyinka)? Maybe the reasoning of a nonentity from Igbo race takes prominence over that of an internationally reputed yoruba sage, right. Choose your side.
....Welll said!

Seems the moderators have automatic eraser of some words.
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by Librate(m): 2:14pm On Oct 25, 2012
Who is Dr Nwaezeigwe? Do i know him
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by Nobody: 2:26pm On Oct 25, 2012
Seriously................... If I were a Igbo man, I would be more worried about my Chair fighting Governors than what a Man in his 80's has written.

Yorubas are not, and have never been Igbos' problems..... Achebe's book is just to stir up unnecessary hate, and won't be appreciated by well-meaning Igbos that are doing well in South-western states. I'm not defending Awolowo, he has already defended himself. He said the food the Federal government was sending to Igbo civilians was used to feed Biafra Soldiers. If we assume that is TRUE, is it then wise for you to feed an enemy u fighting?

Awolowo chose to support Gowon not because of betrayal, but because he just felt Yoruba's secession was unrealistic. If Abuja had been Nigeria's Capital then, maybe Yoruba's secession would have been much realistic. An example is when people of London and cities surrounding it are saying they want secession when 80% of UK troops are stationed in and around the region, and the rest of the UK are not in the mood for that.
I'm happy Awolowo knew that because if he had embarked on secession, there would have been sheer carnage in Yoruba region. When you fight a war with a higher probability of losing, then you are STUPID. Awolowo doing what was best for his people makes him an honourable man in my eyes. Ojukwu also did what was best for his people, and I will never condemn him in any form. Ojukwu is also an honourable man.

'If you can't fight to win, form uncomfortable Alliances. These uncomfortable alliances will even make you much stronger. When you get stronger in the future, you damn these uncomfortable alliances. Maybe that was how Awolowo saw his relationship with the North back then, who knows!

3 Likes

Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by advocate666: 2:30pm On Oct 25, 2012
Librate: Who is Dr Nwaezeigwe? Do i know him

He is a nobody. A nonentity. A bitter failure.
He is sad that he has to wait for meagre pensions after lecturing stupidity in nigerian university that he has resorted to asz-licking oil subsidy beggars for some crumbs.
Shame on his family. Shame on his ummunna if they don't excommunicate him.

1 Like

Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by Slizbeat(m): 2:32pm On Oct 25, 2012
A fact is always a fact. I hate commenting on an Igbo-yoruba thread cos at the end, there is a tribal bashing.
BTW, The prof. above has said what he feels and what he thinks its right. Achebe also said what he feels and think is right. So did Soyinka. No one would ever give you a good account of what happened that started the war except 4 OJUKWU, GOWON and AWOLOWO. Unfortunately, two are dead. Jst Gowon is remaining. Everyone is trying to protect its own tribe so as not to be labelled imposter. Soyinka did and some yorubas insulted him. This prof also did and some Igbos insulted him. The thing here is that "in this world we are, expression of how we feel is not based on 'what if', simply express yourselve and try not to impress others cos at the end, you would be on a long thing". Biafra is a war that was fought because it wasnt to impress anyone but to express how certain south easterners feel. Nigeria fought also because it has to express how most Northerners and Westerners feel. Awo did what he did to Impress the people. So did Azikiwe cos he never wanted to join the war but because of the "imposter" thing. Ojukwu did so to express himself. Same to Achebe, Soyinka and This Prof. If you are here and on other threads insulting these people mentioned and taking sides of one, then you are doing it to impress them. Say your mind and be free than doing what at the end you would regret. As for me, "what happened in '67 is history" even though i lost aunts and uncles. Both Biafra and Nigeria made a mistake, so that mistake should be noted for the betterment of the future. If you are against the igbos, or the yorubas or the hausas or achebe, or awo, or ojukwu, or this prof, then you are on a long thing. Whether one is the cause of your downfall or not, move ahead. If you keep blaming, then you would remain on a standstill. If you know what you want, go for it. A word is enough for the Wise.

1 Like

Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by OmoLisabi(m): 2:33pm On Oct 25, 2012
advocate666:

He is a nobody. A nonentity. A bitter failure.
He is sad that he has to wait for meagre pensions after lecturing stupidity in nigerian university that he has resorted to asz-licking oil subsidy beggars for some crumbs.
Shame on his family. Shame on his ummunna if they don't excommunicate him.
See this mor0n
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by Nobody: 2:33pm On Oct 25, 2012
[quote
author=berem]gbe enu e san! Shey na me you dey call small pikin? Abi o
mu ti yo? Ma je ki n la igi mu e lori o!
Who give a fucck about what anyone says about the memoir? Make una dey
decieve una self they form one nigeria! Nigeria is a deep shithole. The
earlier you guys realise that Nigeria is fuccked,the better for
you.[/quote]

Gboju nbe.......amukunmeko,

the earlier u realised Awolowo didn't fucccccckkkked Igbo the Better!!!!!
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by 7lives: 2:47pm On Oct 25, 2012
This is my first ever reaction to any sensitive issue on nairaland, the doctor has bare his mind, i must bare my mind that i am disappointed that prof Achebe can do this to his people at this time in Nigeria. In times of war, deadly weapons are used, from psychological weapons, political weapons, arms and ammunition's, biological weapon, chemical weapons, other devastating and painfully inhuman tactics are also used. This is why whoever want to go to war must first exhaust all available opportunities on dialogue AND I BELIEVE THAT WARS ARE AVOIDABLE.
Yes it is true that 2million people died of starvation due to Awo's starvation policy, Awo has a job to do and he did it, the same can not be said for Biafra warlords who pretends not to know that people die during wars. Every tribe has their issues with this country, but is it enough reason to go to war, people die during wars this is the TRUTH.
Now some one should call this old man to order before he throws this country into another senseless war, there are no permanent enemies only permanent interest. This is an old man that i expected to be making consultations, building bridges that will dissipate the negative energies that other tribes have towards Ndigbo so that this country can move forward.
2015 is around the corner, i will not be surprised if this SATANIC VERSES that some people are calling war memoir is what will be used against IGBO PRESIDENT AGENDA.

2 Likes

Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by MrGlobe(m): 2:53pm On Oct 25, 2012
Sealeddeal: ....what do u expect from those set of Yorubas who like to talk nonsense.they adore 'Idiots'. Wonder why they fought against Using UNILAG to immortalise Abiola.just because Abiola refused to be an 'eediot'. If its Dr.Nwaezeigwe,the yorubas will easily accept it. They have no respect for Soyinka because he refused to take the oath of idiocy .they are the tribe of e'idiot and cowards.
grin grin
Am on the floor laughing my azz of.
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by felifeli: 2:59pm On Oct 25, 2012
alj harem:

Abeg relax jare. Inyamari literal meaning means Southerner

Hausa means southerner in reference to the northern tribes of Niger.

Contrary to your belief "nyanmiri" does not mean southerners . It specifically referred to Ibo people. During the war, the constant battle chant of soldiers was "nyamiri yamutu ya kare" , which I think means "kill all Ibos , that's all"
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by Nobody: 2:59pm On Oct 25, 2012
You guys should stop your stupid lies and propaganda. Ojukwu released Awo from Calabar prison. Calabar was part of eastern Nigeria, under Ojukwu's control. Awo was released in August 1966 when Calabar was still effectively under Ojukwu's control. Calabar fell under the control of the federal govt and Gowon after several months of serious fighting, sometime in 1968. Ojukwu also had something to say about this stupid propaganda and LIES. Ojukwu said "We’ve said this over and over again, so many times, and people don’t understand; they don’t want to actually. If you remember, I released Awolowo from jail. Even that, some people are beginning to contest as well. Awo was in jail in Calabar. Gowon knows and the whole of the federal establishment knows that at no point was Gowon in charge of the East. The East took orders from me. Now, how could Gowon have released Awolowo who was in Calabar? Because of the fact that I released him, it created quite a lot of rapport between Awo and myself and I know that before he went back to Ikenne, I set up a hotline between Ikenne and my bedroom in Enugu"
Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by felifeli: 3:03pm On Oct 25, 2012
Slizbeat: A fact is always a fact. I hate commenting on an Igbo-yoruba thread cos at the end, there is a tribal bashing.
BTW, The prof. above has said what he feels and what he thinks its right. Achebe also said what he feels and think is right. So did Soyinka. No one would ever give you a good account of what happened that started the war except 4 OJUKWU, GOWON and AWOLOWO. Unfortunately, two are dead. Jst Gowon is remaining. Everyone is trying to protect its own tribe so as not to be labelled imposter. Soyinka did and some yorubas insulted him. This prof also did and some Igbos insulted him. The thing here is that "in this world we are, expression of how we feel is not based on 'what if', simply express yourselve and try not to impress others cos at the end, you would be on a long thing". Biafra is a war that was fought because it wasnt to impress anyone but to express how certain south easterners feel. Nigeria fought also because it has to express how most Northerners and Westerners feel. Awo did what he did to Impress the people. So did Azikiwe cos he never wanted to join the war but because of the "imposter" thing. Ojukwu did so to express himself. Same to Achebe, Soyinka and This Prof. If you are here and on other threads insulting these people mentioned and taking sides of one, then you are doing it to impress them. Say your mind and be free than doing what at the end you would regret. As for me, "what happened in '67 is history" even though i lost aunts and uncles. Both Biafra and Nigeria made a mistake, so that mistake should be noted for the betterment of the future. If you are against the igbos, or the yorubas or the hausas or achebe, or awo, or ojukwu, or this prof, then you are on a long thing. Whether one is the cause of your downfall or not, move ahead. If you keep blaming, then you would remain on a standstill. If you know what you want, go for it. A word is enough for the Wise.

One thing that baffles me is how scared shitless Ibos always are to even mention the Hausa/Fulani on NL and elsewhere. It is like whatever insult and blame that they should put on Hausas they divert it instead to Yorubas . The reason I believe is that Hausa/Fulani settle quarrels quickly, often with their suya knife but Yorubas are more refined and will just take it with a smile and go on with life. Why are most Ibos so cowardly like this ? So sad.

For your information(s) Awolowo was subordinate to a Northerner and had no absolute power to take whatever decision.The man's only sin is that he had a nasty habit of saying the wrong things at the right (or wrong) time , and this is because he was a transparent person never with a hidden agenda.He was never a perfect man and neither is any man on earth but I am sure that if roles were reversed and Yoruba's faced the same situation as the Igbo , Awolowo will certainly never abandon his people and flee , or allowed them to starve for the sake of pursuing a lost war; or collect war donations from abroad and use it to enrich self and family.Most Yorubas are like that unfortunately , and that is why Ibos feel confident to live amongst Yorubas but will always feel threatened amongst the Northerners. Funnily though they keep biting the hands that are feeding them. So sad.

2 Likes

Re: Dr. Nwaezeigwe Defends Awolowo On Achebe’s Civil War Memoir by Nobody: 3:05pm On Oct 25, 2012
It was easy for Awo to believe that "one Nigeria" could still be salvaged because the over 50,000 persons slaughtered in the north during the pogrom were not Yorubas. If 50,000 innocent Yoruba civillians were slaughtered in the north for any reason, it would have been SUICIDAL for Awo to speak of "one Nigeria" anywhere in the west, except from EXILE. The truth is that Awo and yorubas were not directly affected by the massacres that lead to secession. Therefore, only few yorubas,eg Soyinka,etc with HUMAN CONSCIENCE, could personally identify with the travails of the Igbos. Awo for sure was BLINDED by DESPERATION to be president of "one Nigeria" that he threw CONSCIENCE to the dust bin. Awo pleaded for diplomacy over the massacre of 50,000 innocent Igbos but he didn't use diplomacy when his political ambition and power base in the west was threatened. Awo unleashed operation "wetie" that lead to the wild wild west and several killings.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

We Stand By Our Story On El-Rufai’s N90 Billion Worth - The Union Editor / FG And States Share Another N518.542b June Federation Revenue / Crack In APC? Governors Shun Meeting With NWC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.