Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,879 members, 7,813,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:42 PM

Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? (5760 Views)

Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting / See what Watching Parents Have Sex, Made This 5 Years Old Calabar Girl Do / When Should Parents Let Teenagers Make Their Own Decisions? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by Chitexs250(m): 12:35pm On Oct 25, 2012
[color=#990000][/color][url][/url][size=8pt][/size][img][/img]CAPITAL NO[b]CAPITAL NO[/b]CAPITAL NO
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by chucky234(m): 12:41pm On Oct 25, 2012
Parent(s) singling out a child as favourite has always been a major source of problem and division in the families,it shouldnt be encourage no matter the circumstance,all children should be loved and cared for equally.
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by caukerzee(m): 1:01pm On Oct 25, 2012
Its virtually impossible not to have a favorite no matter how hard you try not to. Its a natural thing with humans. You must prefare one thing or individual over another. No two or more individuals can act exactly alike so you are bound to prefare one over the other. The only thing you can do is not to show it to aviod jelousy.
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Oct 25, 2012
It aint gud,but some bad things are inevitable.Its just left for parents to try their best 4rm displaying it.They MUST try hard to make sure dat the children doesn't know whom da favourite one is;or else enemity will spring bw da siblings and that won't be good for the ministry
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by irecruit(m): 1:19pm On Oct 25, 2012
i think it is wrong to have a favourite among your kids
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by Akbee(m): 1:23pm On Oct 25, 2012
Negative,negative,no,no,no.it results in disunity amongs the children.futhermore,the child that is always held in high esteem by either the father or mother always treat the others with contempt(does have respect for them)
it can also result in the division of the family into antagonistic blocs.each with different ideology.remember the story of esau and jacob.
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Oct 25, 2012
yuzedo: EVERY parent has favorite kids.. And secretly, they have worst kid(s) they wish they used condom for! grin

Most parents deny, and talk about loving every one equally.. IRO NLA! You can never love different humans equally.

In my family, we know our parents' favorites.. Does it affect us adversely? No. Are we bothered? No. Why? Because we are not in doubt of the overall love our parents have for all of us AND we love our selves.

If it bothers you, ask yourself: Can you be/do what that favorite has done to merit his/her privileged position of affection?
100 likes.

2 Likes

Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by HellaBella(f): 1:50pm On Oct 25, 2012
No they should not have a favourite child. However, they are humans so, of course they will have one that is a favorite. I don't think it's really a matter of whether they should have one or not. Rather, the issue should be about how parents manage the ways they treat their kids. They have to be careful not to show too much favoritism to one child over another.
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by tintingz(m): 2:32pm On Oct 25, 2012
= Religiously, traditionaly, psychologicaly humans must have favorites. . .don't blame parents who have favorites among their children it's normal. . .every parents will always have favorite child buh that does'nt mean they hate the rest. . .and if you notice something, your parent will always call on a particular person all the time among your siblings. . .and note parent NEVER shows it grin
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by dgreat001(m): 2:33pm On Oct 25, 2012
Sure....each of d parent do av their favourite among their siblings, buh such likeness shouldn't be so glaring to avoid sections in the family......#takenote#[b][/b]
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by whitecat007: 2:41pm On Oct 25, 2012
If you have favorite among your children, then you did not give birth to all of them.

2 Likes

Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by fili24: 3:44pm On Oct 25, 2012
In most homes, the female ones are the favourite.
but when the kids are grown up, the most successful
is the favourite undecided lipsrsealed
Parents are always proud of him/her
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by kinguwem: 4:37pm On Oct 25, 2012
Children behalf differently. The behaviour of a child can either be attractive or repulsive to parents. Not all parents are skilled in personnel management. The result is exhibition of child favoritism.
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by rabalord(m): 5:02pm On Oct 25, 2012
I think it's something beyond their control. Even the kids sometimes have a favorite Parent....
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by alphaconde(m): 5:04pm On Oct 25, 2012
Its most natural for parents to have favourites, in my case I was the least favoured I knew it and they confirmed it, but this didn't make me bitter but I planed my life so well and work so hard keeping my strategies to my self while I loved my sibling very well, today am grown and my parents have realized how strong I am. They now say am most reliable. I see evrything as part of a sweet life. Some distasteful things are as normal as good.
Alpha conde
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by victorian(f): 5:21pm On Oct 25, 2012
Highly dangerous having a favourite...wrong move in the family, and when the parents are gone.. War starts between the kids angrybad act.. Even my female friend says , she and her other younger brothers know clearly that their eldest blood brother will drive them out of their dad house and inheritance because he was not loved as much as their dad loved her and her two younger ones... so their eldest brother Resents them.. And their dad foolishly shows it.. she had to speakup during a family meeting. sad
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by KingsleyCEO: 6:01pm On Oct 25, 2012
Amongst friends, colleagues, course mate etc. There is band to be a favourite, and its only natural as humans and there are some persons we find comfort in, the family is not also left out. But in the case of family, you shouldn't make it pronounce or obvious so as to avoid what happened to Joseph in the bible. Lol. ;DAmongst friends, colleagues, course mate etc. There is band to be a favourite, and its only natural as humans and there are some persons we find comfort in, the family is not also left out. But in the case of family, you shouldn't make it pronounce or obvious so as to avoid what happened to Joseph in the bible. Lol.
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by Mckybarf(m): 6:48pm On Oct 25, 2012
iykofias: this is one question that always ponders my mind.

why should a parent after giving birth to children will finger just one out of the rest as his/her favourite.

The need of this so called 'favourite' is met rapidly even if it has to be at the expense of others.

my question is: as a parent should the idea of having a favourite even pop up at all?
honestly, it is a natural tendancy. Everyone will have a favourite. The caution is, it should never lead to partiality in their treatment. Every child must feel the same sense of security and purity of love from both parents whether a favourite or not. Even kids themselves know their parents favourites and they themselves have their favourites too- only none should be made to feel less worthy.
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by Akposkool(m): 8:52pm On Oct 25, 2012
All parents do.but it is best if they dnt express it at d detriment of other kids.
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by comfortjohnson: 9:02pm On Oct 25, 2012
i say capita NO, it is not good and should not be encouraged by any good parent who want a good future for his or her children
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 12:10am On Oct 26, 2012
Actually 90% of parents do have a favorite among their kids, the remaining 10% are either liars or are in denial. Most

parents that say that they don't have favorites among their kids might be saying that because they are really good at

hiding this fact. Showing favoritism to a child openly might cause their siblings to feel jealous and become competitive,

it can also cause the "unfavored" child to develop low self esteem and feel inferior to the more "favored child. Though

some people might argue that being "unfavored" could actually help a child, by driving them towards success, thus the

reason why first borns are highest achievers with IQ's that are on average of 1-3 points higher than the next child. We

still can't Ignore the fact that showing favoritism openly to one of your children might have a lasting impact on the

rest of the children, making them feel detached and unwanted. So the question should be, Should parents show favoritism

openly among kids?

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by Zico0(m): 1:23pm On Oct 26, 2012
My mum is the best. Growin up, she'd do special things to each kid at the others back, that way, each child thinks they r her favorite. I was the last to undastand my mums trick tho i wasnt the last sibling. I'd always act like i was her favorite kid arnd my elder bros. But they wud jus laff @ my foolishness. Being an adult nw i still blieve smhow smhow that she was more opened nd did more special things to me secretly dan others tho i dont show it out anymor. Hweva my bro&sists cn also hv this belief. So in our minds we r her favorite but only God knws her beloved.
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by salt1: 4:14pm On Oct 26, 2012
I have 4 children and have my favourite. It is always the same: the child that needs me most is the favourite at that time. And I don't mean the highest-achieving child. My. Favourite child is sick,happy,sad,failed a test, had fever on her birthday etc.It is always the same child: the child that needs me.
We react to each child differently. It isn't favouritism: it is personalized love and attention
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Oct 26, 2012
Each child is an individual with unique personalities, interests, talents and needs. A good parent does his or her best to meet those individual’s needs.
For a parent to have a favorite merely demonstrates the extremely flawed character of that parent. Treating children according to their individual needs and personalities is not playing favoritism. It is simply loving each child in their own unique way.
I’m sure that there are people who love one kid more than the other, but certainly not THAT many. I totally love each of my kids as much as the other, though I will admit that there are times every day where I like one of them more than the other one at any given moment.
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by yunafa(f): 10:31pm On Oct 26, 2012
My parents did and in d process destroyed our family.
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by komek(m): 7:22am On Oct 27, 2012
Why are we all saying its wrong? It is not wrong to have a favorite child, but what is wrong is the way you go about it. It was like that when we were growing up in my house. But my parents will call you aside ( especially the jealous ones) and explain the reason for it. We got use to it and even made the person our mediator between us and our parents and it worked.
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Oct 27, 2012
Re: Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? by Nobody: 6:38am On Oct 28, 2012

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wife Keeps Ex Boyfriend Phone Number / Married Folks, How Do You Handle Stubborn Wife? Please Help. / My Boyfriend Left Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.