Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,256 members, 7,815,393 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:41 AM

Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon (27563 Views)

SSS Fights Back, Accuses Buhari’s ADC Of Ignorance, Overzealousness-PremiumTimes / Jonathan Feigns Ignorance Of Wife’s Whereabouts / Wedding Invitation Card Of Gen. Gowon In 1969 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by hakanai(m): 6:50am On Oct 28, 2012
Gowon hits Achebe on civil war, says: He wrote out of ignorance
http://www.osundefender.org/?p=50284

Gen. Yakubu Gowon, Nigeria’s Ex-president.
War time Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon, has criticized renowned author, Professor Chinua Achebe, over his new book on the Nigerian civil war, saying he{Achebe }does not know the issue he was writing about.
Gowon said he was ready to face the International Criminal Court (ICC) at the Hague on the matter if necessary.

What role did Achebe play in the secessionist plans? Achebe must have been outside the country during the war and probably did not know what happened during the period otherwise he would not have written on what he was not sure of “, he remarked.

The erstwhile Nigerian leader, who was answering questions from journalists courtesy, visit to Governor Mu’azu Babangida Aliyu at the Presidential Lodge, Minna, Niger state, yesterday, said Achebe must have been talking out of ignorance, adding that he and the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo had no regrets over their roles in the civil war, pointing out that if there was no secession, there would not have been civil war.

In fact , if there was no secession by the south eastern part of the country, there would have been no civil war because right from the beginning of the crises, the war would have been averted if not for the secession . It was something I believed we could have stopped,” he stressed.

Gowon also debunked the claim by the author that his administration embarked on the mass killing of Igbo, adding that the federal troops did not also use hunger as a weapon to dislodge the dissidents.

It was the Igbo that objected to the creation of corridor for movements of medical aid and food supplies to the civilian population at the period; on this, I am ready to face the International Criminal Court of Justice at the Hague for prosecution over the role played by me during the war and, fortunately, some Nigerians are still alive to bear witness to the roles played by both the leadership of the secessionist group and the then Federal Military Government under my leadership, “the war-time leader stated.

He also recalled that during the war, a ship named “Josina” and owned by the secessionist group, which they claimed was carrying agricultural implements, was captured by federal troops and it was subjected to a thorough search and the cargo turned out to be a collection of arms and ammunition.

Gowon, who was in Minna for a 2-day prayer organized by Nigeria Prays, a group he leads, said that the massive deaths recorded by the Igbo during the civil war was caused by their own propaganda machine which claimed that the northern invaders were coming to their camps and that caused panic and pandemonium among their people because some people were trying to move from one location to the other out of fear of imaginary attacks by the so called northern invaders and without food.

^^^^^^So much for Igbo propaganda and fairy tales.The same crap that goes on and on leading this folks to spew lies about the civil war and all that is Nigeria and Nigerians.Now its become clear that there leaders starved them out of pride and also chased them up and down out of propaganda.

10 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by malele(m): 6:59am On Oct 28, 2012
This gowon is a fool.
He has luck am not in the military I would have taken his life. Old fool

16 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by hakanai(m): 7:03am On Oct 28, 2012
malele: This gowon is a fool.

Its not late you can join the military and do that!!! i doubt if you can succeed hater.You can do what ever you want,The truth remains alive until his time.How about the challenge he threw open to go and face justice to prove his point!! Clearly he also admits people exist to testify.Not because of people like you.Achebe remains ignorant an desperate to sell a book!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

32 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by warrior01: 7:04am On Oct 28, 2012
Really! Thank you sir for letting the world know your names are 'Ignoramus Yakubu Gowon. Tis now obvious that common sense is not really common. Anyway, do i need to say more; once an aboki, always an aboki.

24 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by hakanai(m): 7:06am On Oct 28, 2012
warrior01: Really! Thank you sir for letting the world know your names are 'Ignoramus Yakubu Gowon. Tis now obvious that common sense is not really common.

^^^ you mean Igbos like you abi and not the world. wink wink wink wink

2 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by hakanai(m): 7:08am On Oct 28, 2012
Gradually but surely the truth is coming out.Even the USA has thrown more light on the matter, suggests Ojukwu starved his people out of sabi sabi!!!

23 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by warrior01: 7:15am On Oct 28, 2012
haka_nai:

^^^ you mean Igbos like you abi and not the world. wink wink wink wink
I can understand you reason with your anus and you 'll remain ignored by me.

1 Like

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Abali1(m): 7:16am On Oct 28, 2012
someone should help me ask Gowon(Jack) why he did not honor the Aburi Accord? If he had honored the Accord, why will Ojukwu and other Eastern leaders be shouting that "Aburi we stand".
I believe a soldier, retired or serving, should be a Gentleman and not someone who talks from two sides of his mouth.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Nobody: 7:18am On Oct 28, 2012
The animal has finally spoken! The seccession started the war but he failed to address what prompted the seccession.Ok so he is ready to face the ICC right? I hope he starts gathering evidence to prove himself right.what a buffoon! angry

13 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Nobody: 7:19am On Oct 28, 2012
He leads a prayer group!!
What the F.U...cK!
Do he even have house in Nigeria?
If he isnt talking on phone from his home
in london? He is in america! Now he is home he shuold for his love of nigeria visit his ppl in jos not from one northern state govt house to another!

Bloody killer leading a prayer! Wonders shall never end.Igbo leaders should label his name as a taboo in igboland and kids should know about this devil.

15 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Omexonomy: 7:29am On Oct 28, 2012
As an historian this is my first time of hearing an ex-warlord agreeing to face an international war crime tribunal. Me think their might be an iota of truth in his statement

13 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Afam4eva(m): 7:31am On Oct 28, 2012
At least he has accepted to be tried by the International criminal court in the Hague. I hope they oblige him soonest.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Noiseless2: 7:38am On Oct 28, 2012
No need for premature/sudden panics on your war crimes against Igbos, i'm glad you also acknowledged that there are still witnesses to your crimes alive too. But remember the ICC is not a nigeria court where you could say black is white and white is black, so your cries are too early, you and your cohorts must surely be brought to justice and your colonial masters whom you hoped for their protection will distance themselves from you and your gangs.

3 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Noiseless2: 7:47am On Oct 28, 2012
Of course you would say that, since it has to do with dragging some nigerian war criminals with over 3 million innocent blood in their hands to the INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL JUSTICE, the very good thing about that is it's not a nigeria courts where you lots crown criminals instead of punishing them.
Omexonomy: As an historian this is my first time of hearing an ex-warlord agreeing to face an international war crime tribunal. Me think their might be an iota of truth in his statement

1 Like

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by truth4meal(m): 7:55am On Oct 28, 2012
malele: This gowon is a fool.
truth I know hurts neva knw it can make one go berserk - guy u going bananas over a staggering truth dat will always remain true.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by naijaking1: 8:04am On Oct 28, 2012
Can someone tell me whether Gowon has had time to write his own memoir of the civil war?
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by truth4meal(m): 8:04am On Oct 28, 2012
Noiseless2: No need for premature/sudden panics on your war crimes against Igbos, i'm glad you also acknowledged that there are still witnesses to your crimes alive too. But remember the ICC is not a nigeria court where you could say black is white and white is black, so your cries are too early, you and your cohorts must surely be brought to justice and your colonial masters whom you hoped for their protection will distance themselves from you and your gangs.
40 years afta the war - same pattern of blame passing - guilt dashing - history re-writing; when will a proper legit attempt by d way of going to d ICC be a part of this pattern if truly d FG committed pogrom or holocaust during d civil war. Igbos shld go to Court not that when this man is dead - one Achebe will release another book castigating a man so dead with his reply.

7 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by agohavivi(f): 8:05am On Oct 28, 2012
Abali1: someone should help me ask Gowon(Jack) why he did not honor the Aburi Accord? If he had honored the Accord, why will Ojukwu and other Eastern leaders be shouting that "Aburi we stand".
I believe a soldier, retired or serving, should be a Gentleman and not someone who talks from two sides of his mouth.
Yours is the most sensible comment I've come across so far. If only Gowon had honoured the Aburi accord, issues bothering on militants in the south-south, boko haram as well as the civil war would have been averted but due to his selfishness he failed to see reason.

7 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by hakanai(m): 8:13am On Oct 28, 2012
warrior01:
I can understand you reason with your anus and you 'll remain ignored by me.

Don't claim what you don't know!Going by your thought,people are meant to think with there anus.In my place the organ of thought is the brain and its globally known too.Since your people do use there anus or you may have kept folks that use same i hope someday it is proven.That i am yet to come across but i can't dispute that since is likely you know people around you who do. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
So Mr Anus thinker have fun and don't get angry cos Gowon spoke his own after the lies Achebe flush to the public.

6 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Noiseless2: 8:21am On Oct 28, 2012
HAA HAA! Who would thought that the same blood drunken baboon would one day talk of clearing his name in the ICC in panics after 40yrs, when he and his fellow murderers thought that there will never be a judgement day. If he likes let him commit suicide like OBAFEMI A-LovePeddler-LOWO did before the D-DAY no matter how nigeria system tries to frustrate our efforts the day will certainly come.
truth4meal: 40 years afta the war - same pattern of blame passing - guilt dashing - history re-writing; when will a proper legit attempt by d way of going to d ICC be a part of this pattern if truly d FG committed pogrom or holocaust during d civil war. Igbos shld go to Court not that when this man is dead - one Achebe will release another book castigating a man so dead with his reply.
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by naijaking1: 8:27am On Oct 28, 2012
I have asked about Gowon's own civil war memoirs, because that will be a comparative response to Achebe's own memoir.
Achebe obviously wrote his own personal experience during that period. Achebe's experience will not be the same as Gowon's or anybody's for that matter. Gowon has the means and the capacity to ink a memoir(to set the record straight an correct other misceptions), but instead, he's walking around making oral and often changable presentations of what he thought happened during the war.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by MrGlobe(m): 8:28am On Oct 28, 2012
And to think this pathetic liar and blood sucker was in Niger state for 'Nigeria prays' What an irony, I guess Nigeria prays is his way of staying out of Jos his homeland whenever he is in Nigeria. thank God the ICJ is beginning to dawn on him, it wont be long until a file is opened for him and his cohorts there. Something tells me this man may finally apologize in his death bed. The truth is there for all to see and that is what Achebe stated in that memoir.
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Nobody: 8:29am On Oct 28, 2012
Igbo and unending lamentations! Gowon is ready to face ICC to prove his case. This is the first time someone is willing to go on trial at ICC. What's the dead living old bitter racist professor waiting for? Why can't he use his evidence if any to convict Gowon?

Crying everyday on Nairaland will not get the job done.

18 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Noiseless2: 8:33am On Oct 28, 2012
That is what you get from a man who he and his fellow war criminals are being chased by the ghost of over 3 million innocent Igbo civilians, no matter how much he tries to tell his fat old lies,it still exposes him.
Abali1: someone should help me ask Gowon(Jack) why he did not honor the Aburi Accord? If he had honored the Accord, why will Ojukwu and other Eastern leaders be shouting that "Aburi we stand".

2 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by naijaking1: 8:42am On Oct 28, 2012
Prof Corruption: Igbo and unending lamentations! Gowon is ready to face ICC to prove his case. This is the first time someone is willing to go on trial at ICC. What's the dead living old bitter racist professor waiting for? Why can't he use his evidence if any to convict Gowon?

I think you miss something about this issue. The personalities involved in the civil war saga are mostly dead or are dying as we speak. The most important issue is that of princinple. And that principle says that if it's ok to massacre Igbos under any guise today, tomorrow it might ok to massacre Beroms, Yorubas, or Hausas under some questionable guise too?

Did you hear Gowon say that most of the Igbo casualities was from stampeding rush to escape rumors of northern advancement
And he easily forgot that more Igbos were killed by their northern neighbours before the war actually broke out?

7 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Noiseless2: 8:49am On Oct 28, 2012
I'm sure even as you typed this your usual OFFEMMANNUU YAHOORROBA MGBATIC MGBATIC rubbish, you are still full of disappointment that the old fool has no even a little point to make as to justify the crimes he and his cohorts commited against over 3 million innocent civilians in Biafra.
Prof Corruption: Igbo and unending lamentations! Gowon is ready to face ICC to prove his case. This is the first time someone is willing to go on trial at ICC. What's the dead living old bitter racist professor waiting for? Why can't he use his evidence if any to convict Gowon?

4 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by abouzaid: 8:50am On Oct 28, 2012
I'm happy that Gowon have finally accepted to face d icj. I will advise his legal team to prepare to answer this questions. 1) did he approve d bombing of bombing of schools,churches,markets and other civilian targets.2) was he aware that awolowo his vice president ordered a blockade of food and drugs against biafra and went on to say that hunger is a weapon of hunger among other genocidal things which was well reported in both local and foreign news media 3) did he break the aburi accord which led to the secession of biafra. 4) was he not aware that his generals engaged in mass execution of civillians in nigerian occupied areas 5) was he not aware of the widely reported execution of over 8000 igbo young men (civillians) in asaba by general murtala muhammed even though asaba was not part of biafra, their only offense was being igbo.6) was bakassi handed over to cameroon and the aborigines displaced by him in return for implementing food and medicine blockade 7) did he not approve the 20 pounds policy of awolowo knowing fully well that will lead to a lifetime of poverty and intergenerational poverty for a region ravaged by war cool did he not intentionally fan d embers of division in biafra leading to the abandoned property saga that dispossessed igbos of their houses and properties they have even in the north 9) did general adekunle refuse delivery of food and medicines to the starving biafran minorities (ogoni,anang,ibibio,efik,kalabari etc) he occupied their land 10) was he aware that top government officials repeatedly said that the igbo numbers must be drastically be reduced ? This was well reported in local and foreign media which led biafra to reject a land corridor when offered out of fear being poisoned. Even d usa government d usa government begged him to allow air delivery of foods from neutral countries but he refused. He was also asked to provide inspection officials but he refused. 11) was the said josina ship owned by the red cross and caritas and did the manifest say it's loaded with relief? Or was it privately owned 12) did the clearly marked red cross air plane he shot down at calabar killing all the crew contain any single round of ammunition 13) can he stand before the ICJ and tell the world that red cross and caritas ships and air planes were being used to smuggle weapons into biafra. 14) what was the government war theme songs being played on the northern radio stations 15) was he not aware of the ongoing executions at the markudi bridge. 16) did he not execute all eastern soldiers in the north while ojukwu safely transported northern soldiers and civillians in the east. I have more to add on that list but a sunday morning is not my best time to do so. However, i won't fail to make spirited efforts to contact the ICJ office for his investigation to proceed? I hope biafran and delta igbo legal experts should do so too.

48 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Nobody: 8:57am On Oct 28, 2012
naijaking1:

I think you miss something about this issue. The personalities involved in the civil war saga are mostly dead or are dying as we speak. The most important issue is that of princinple. And that principle says that if it's ok to massacre Igbos under any guise today, tomorrow it might ok to massacre Beroms, Yorubas, or Hausas under some questionable guise too?

Did you hear Gowon say that most of the Igbo casualities was from stampeding rush to escape rumors of northern advancement
And he easily forgot that more Igbos were killed by their northern
neighbours before the war actually broke out?

If you have evidence that contradicts Gowon's position what are you supposed to do? Take him to ICC and get him convicted. That ll serve as detterence to others. To simplify matter, Gowon is not hiding, he is not on the run and has thrown a challenge : take me to ICC if you have a case.

What else do you want?

5 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:01am On Oct 28, 2012
Gowon is more ignorant for talking unification and seceding oil rich Bakassi to Cameroon only to killing 3million Igbos. His ignorance is unparalleled. Anumanu!

3 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by PointB: 9:01am On Oct 28, 2012
Other than fear of consequence, I wonder why old man Gowon would still be lying about when Awolowo already confessed the deed before his death.

By the way, who are those being led by a mass murderer in prayer. I hope they are offering such prayers to the satan? The Bible is very clear on this 'The prayers of a sinner are abomination unto God.' Gowon should first make peace with over 2 million dead Biafrians before seeking God's favour.

By the way, over 50 million Igbo will not say amen to his selfish and vain prayers! Peace will elude Gowon and all those who murdered the hapless Igbos in their number. Their restless spirit will haunt Nigeria to death!

6 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by naijaking1: 9:06am On Oct 28, 2012
Prof Corruption:

If you have evidence that contradicts Gowon's position what are you supposed to do? Take him to ICC and get him convicted. That ll serve as detterence to others. To simply matter, Gowon is not hiding, he is not on the run and has thrown a challenge : take me to ICC if you have a case.

What else do you want?

I see you don't understand the main point of my write up. The principle!!!! What do you say about it? Gowon and Ojukwu will go to ICC at the right time, that's not my point.
Why should a tribe be decimated under false pretence? If it happens to one tribe, and you sit around and cheer, why should you be surprised if it happens to your own tribe in the future?

1 Like

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by nagoma(m): 9:15am On Oct 28, 2012
Japan was defeated in the second world war after the dropping of 2 atom bombs on some of their largest cities, Germany was severely defeated and no city in the world not even iraq has taken the kind of destructive bombardment carried out by the allies on Dresden and other German cities. We are only talking about recent history , this has happened though out history . War is an adventure and could be a misadventure as it turned out to be for Ojukwu. Would they be talking like this if Ojukwu won the war? Gowon should just ignore these people whining and moaning about what they don't know. If they can't take a defeat gallantly like other lands why did they start the war?. War is not a football game please.

21 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Suicide Bomber Kills Five Soldiers, Injures 40 In North East / 2019 Elections: SDP Emerges As Third Force - Tribune / Shehu Sani Picks PDP Governorship Nomination Form In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.