Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,404 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:38 PM

Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon (27595 Views)

SSS Fights Back, Accuses Buhari’s ADC Of Ignorance, Overzealousness-PremiumTimes / Jonathan Feigns Ignorance Of Wife’s Whereabouts / Wedding Invitation Card Of Gen. Gowon In 1969 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by idowuswap: 11:11am On Oct 28, 2012
U think say igbos get sense na 2 do bad things.imagine common hausa almajiris dey yab anima igbos like pest.
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Abali1(m): 11:12am On Oct 28, 2012
tbaba1234: Finished Achebe's book, It is overall a good read, a number of great points but there are also a number of half-truths.

i. The british never gave Nigeria Independence. we simply moved from colonialism to Neo colonism with an imposition of a Government on Nigeria. The deeply flawed elections overseen by the british meant Nigerian was begun on already shaky foundations. This is responsible for the collapse of the government after just 6 years.

ii. His view that the early successes of the Igbo in Nigeria was due to some kind of superior culture to the yorubas and hausas, what he called a 'democratic culture' shows that he didn't consider the other factors at play. Unlike in the east where the british had a lot more control, Northern Nigerian was ruled indirectly through emirs, The people of the east had access to better education in the form of missionaries and therefore produced a number of Intellectuals that were going to form the crust of the new Nigeria.

iii. He conveniently ignored the actions of some biafran soldiers who diverted food meant for starving children for personal consumption. This action by biafran soldiers prolonged the war effort at the expense of the starving population. It is not only the federal government, that is to blame.

iv. The Nigerian army was involved in the massacre and possible genocide of thousands of Innocent Igbos throughout the duration of the war and the silence of the Global powers contributed to it. We saw this scenario repeat itself in Rwanda.

v. Ojukwu could probably have ended the war earlier if he was less stubborn and more practical. We could have some kind of a confederation which would have probably been a better situation for everyone. He refused to consult with major eastern leaders who he felt would compromise. People like Zik and Michael Okpara were not consulted. Zik later withdrew his support for biafra.

vi. His bashing of Awolowo was fairly one sided. One of the reason for stopping food to biafra was because the biafran soldiers were diverting

vii. Nigerians are deeply tribalistic people, hopefully the younger generation can begin to look beyond tribal sentiments and work towards building a more unified country.

Oga, all you have said above may be taken in by some people. But please, understand that it was not the "War Time Nigerian Federal Government" that was supplying food and relief materials to Biafran side. It was the Foreign Civil groups, such as the REDCROSS, AND CARITAS that were flying in food, medicine and other relief materials to the Biafran side. Gowon led Government, now decided to put in place a Blockade policy and were even shooting down those planes belonging to these civil groups.

Later, the Nigerian Federal government led by Gowon offered to provide food to the Biafran enemies.

Pray tell, why Biafran Government led by Ojukwu will accept such "KIND HEARTED GESTURE" from a Gowon led government that "SILENTLY SUPERVISED THE MASS KILLING OF IGBO'S (ala Pogrom)"

2 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by abysirius(m): 11:14am On Oct 28, 2012
naijaking1: Can someone tell me whether Gowon has had time to write his own memoir of the civil war?
Does he really need to write any? It is the wounded like Achebe who needs to be counting his loss. Everything about igbos begin and end with greed. This is one reason igbos are struggling as a unit in this country. Na greed kill igbos!

4 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Nobody: 11:16am On Oct 28, 2012
abysirius: Does he really need to write any? It is the wounded like Achebe who needs to be counting his loss. Everything about igbos begin and end with greed. This is one reason igbos are struggling as a unit in this country. Na greed kill igbos!

Thank you. Greediness is not a virtue.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by mrczar(m): 11:17am On Oct 28, 2012
haka_nai:

Its not late you can join the military and do that!!! i doubt if you can succeed hater.You can do what ever you want,The truth remains alive until his time.How about the challenge he threw open to go and fcae justice to prove his point!! Clearly he also admits people exist to testify.Not because of people like you.Achebe remains ignorant an desperate to sale a book!! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Common sense should aav told u that for a maan of Achebe's caalibre to av waited till long to write on 'biafra' he must hav proberly done hiz homework. Plz n plz i haate when shaallow minded peepz lik u attach sentiment to sensitive issues assuch. Be carefull dude!
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Tolexander: 11:18am On Oct 28, 2012
malele: This gowon is a fool.
He has luck am not in the military I would have taken his life. Old fool
the same life an hero 'ojukwu' couldn't take. SMH
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Asiwaju9ja(m): 11:18am On Oct 28, 2012
Devoid of any other political undertone. On the issue of the igbos Achebe does not know what he is saying. See my post on d comment. Politics / Re: Chinua Achebe: Why Nigerians Hate Igbo by

I used to respect this Man alot and I now have reservations. I respect the igbo race for their ingenuity,resourcefulness, never-say-die attitude and commerce. However, Mr. Achebe has not extricated himself from the Biafran Mentality, which I think our leaders are helping to foster(including Achebe) The igbo race like other ethnic groups in Nigeria has lost its ideals. The whole Qualities I mentioned earlier has been given negative perspectives from the action of their kinsmen. A particular example was when the Senate Presidency was zoned to the east. You and I know what transpired, how many senate presidents did we have within that short time? I expected a colossal icon like CA to work for the unification of Nigeria, instead of writing novels that will further speed us apart. I am sorry to say, Mr. Achebe has left the country for long, he does no know what his average kinsman is ready to do to make money at the expense of his fellow igbo man. Please sir, you opinion of the igbo race has long been overshadowed by GREED.

See frontpage of Nairaland. Igboman has seized the BH Saga to inflict pain on fellow igbos on the alter of GREED. Achebe for study well d realities on ground b4 e yarn things wen no make follow.

(Mo

1 Like

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Mgbadike80: 11:21am On Oct 28, 2012
tbaba1234: Finished Achebe's book, It is overall a good read, a number of great points but there are also a number of half-truths.
my dear what u termed have truths are absolute truths which have already been discussed and proven beyond every reasonable doubt here. I can't stand the boredom of repeating those arguments here so i would advice to stick to reading old threads to learn more. Also some of your points show that u really know little about what transpired then but thanks for given the book good points with out much tribalistic prejudice. I'm still waiting for it to be available in d market here.
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by truth4meal(m): 11:22am On Oct 28, 2012
Mgbadike80: for your information boko haram attacks have already been listed by d ICC as crimes against humanity with the chief prosecutor visiting nigeria. Civil war genocide might follow soon. But the question for u is would it make nigeria more united?
Nigeria by right of sane thinking is not a united entity and it will never be united more than by it map - that is the obvious truth. What the intervention of ICC will avail us is the true reconciliation that is on holiday since the war ended - it will help reduce the obnoxious blame passing which made so pple and race blameworthy and another blameless. The truth will heal the wound of the past and justice will avert wounds of the future
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by obinnaoduduwa: 11:23am On Oct 28, 2012
I no blame them atall because the british people and the Russians helped them that why the foolish Gowon hv mouth to talk,I will things like that will happen again,and we will crush every aboki,international community to bargain wit nw full ground unlike then na only britain and Russia dey free.bloody fools
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by gbadexy(m): 11:23am On Oct 28, 2012
I think this is a challenge to achebe and other igbo groups and organizations.
Age is not on the man's side, this is a chance to take him up on his offer and thrash it out in the open with facts from both side.
Either the ibos take him to ICC and stop living in the past or STFU forever!

2 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by MrGlobe(m): 11:23am On Oct 28, 2012
azimibraun: Who is d wicked fellow or fellows dt ill advised Achebe? Chai! Ur closest pal is ur worst enemy. Ppl wey knw legendary achebe don wicked am finish. All dis fame and one own goal of a write up nw bring am down.. God no let me score own goal sir.
you people in your desperation will never cease to bring up flimsy excuses to try to villify Achebe, this is a good move from Achebe, it has sealed his position as the ultimate cultural ambassador of ndiigbo, the whole world is now aware of genocide in Nigeria and everybody have now seen awolowo and gowon as war criminals eluding arrest. Achebe's fame has skyrocketed and this book us a best seller so sorry, bring another propaganda

2 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by aljharem(m): 11:24am On Oct 28, 2012
One question

why would Gowon be willing to go to ICC if not vindicated ?

SMH
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by aljharem(m): 11:28am On Oct 28, 2012
[size=14pt]What Achebe did was to open the PANDORA BOX and the reality is that Nigerians are angry, VERY ANGRY. I am sure Achebe and his supporters never thought it would generate this much controversy and anger.

Something that happened 50 years ago, the idddeiotic ACHEBE brought it back up and ignorant people are supporting him.

I wouldn't be surprise if Biafrain lose this case to ICC.[/size]
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Mrchippychappy(m): 11:28am On Oct 28, 2012
haka_nai: Gowon hits Achebe on civil war, says: He wrote out of ignorance
http://www.osundefender.org/?p=50284

Gen. Yakubu Gowon, Nigeria’s Ex-president.
War time Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon, has criticized renowned author, Professor Chinua Achebe, over his new book on the Nigerian civil war, saying he{Achebe }does not know the issue he was writing about.
Gowon said he was ready to face the International Criminal Court (ICC) at the Hague on the matter if necessary.

What role did Achebe play in the secessionist plans? Achebe must have been outside the country during the war and probably did not know what happened during the period otherwise he would not have written on what he was not sure of “, he remarked.

The erstwhile Nigerian leader, who was answering questions from journalists courtesy, visit to Governor Mu’azu Babangida Aliyu at the Presidential Lodge, Minna, Niger state, yesterday, said Achebe must have been talking out of ignorance, adding that he and the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo had no regrets over their roles in the civil war, pointing out that if there was no secession, there would not have been civil war.

In fact , if there was no secession by the south eastern part of the country, there would have been no civil war because right from the beginning of the crises, the war would have been averted if not for the secession . It was something I believed we could have stopped,” he stressed.

Gowon also debunked the claim by the author that his administration embarked on the mass killing of Igbo, adding that the federal troops did not also use hunger as a weapon to dislodge the dissidents.

It was the Igbo that objected to the creation of corridor for movements of medical aid and food supplies to the civilian population at the period; on this, I am ready to face the International Criminal Court of Justice at the Hague for prosecution over the role played by me during the war and, fortunately, some Nigerians are still alive to bear witness to the roles played by both the leadership of the secessionist group and the then Federal Military Government under my leadership, “the war-time leader stated.

He also recalled that during the war, a ship named “Josina” and owned by the secessionist group, which they claimed was carrying agricultural implements, was captured by federal troops and it was subjected to a thorough search and the cargo turned out to be a collection of arms and ammunition.

Gowon, who was in Minna for a 2-day prayer organized by Nigeria Prays, a group he leads, said that the massive deaths recorded by the Igbo during the civil war was caused by their own propaganda machine which claimed that the northern invaders were coming to their camps and that caused panic and pandemonium among their people because some people were trying to move from one location to the other out of fear of imaginary attacks by the so called northern invaders and without food.

^^^^^^So much for Igbo propaganda and fairy tales.The same crap that goes on and on leading this folks to spew lies about the civil war and all that is Nigeria and Nigerians.Now its become clear that there leaders starved them out of pride and also chased them up and down out of propaganda.

That's all i am interested in . If he's serious i am willing to get him a first class ticket to Netherlands.
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Mgbadike80: 11:28am On Oct 28, 2012
Asiwaju9ja:

(Mo
u left the civil war topic of the thread and started talking another different thing entirely. Pls stick to the topic and stop needless tribal attacks
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Nobody: 11:29am On Oct 28, 2012
Igbo and greediness, Igbo and unending lachrymatory lamentations, Igbo and annoying nagging . Nawa oo.

Gowon said take me to ICC. Please take him there and save us the annoying drama. Go and present your case.

Perhaps we should create a crying day for these sobbing dudes .

4 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by skerries: 11:30am On Oct 28, 2012
Guys why on earth will Gowon used the word their people then if we are different what the heck is one Nigeria for. I could not understand what nigerians want from igbos, you won't let us go and you don't want to accept us as one
.it a pity that Nigeria has lost my respect and I and my family shall never defend it's cause.
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by emeka762001(m): 11:30am On Oct 28, 2012
i believe yakubu gowon his eating the fruit of his labour by the incessant killing of his brothers and sisters everyday in jos by the hausas.
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Talk2naija(m): 11:31am On Oct 28, 2012
I think dis igbos are upto something I recently saw the igbos musician in. A private jet.
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by jude33084(m): 11:32am On Oct 28, 2012
haka_nai:

Its not late you can join the military and do that!!! i doubt if you can succeed hater.You can do what ever you want,The truth remains alive until his time.How about the challenge he threw open to go and fcae justice to prove his point!! Clearly he also admits people exist to testify.Not because of people like you.Achebe remains ignorant an desperate to sale a book!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

If Gowon faces the that justice he won't come out I can bet on that. It is on record that he ordered the Nigerian troop to stop red cross from entering the country as at the time of war harming millions civilians in the process(that's where Awolowo comes in)

He should continue his Nigeria pray aŋԂ leavt the War crime tribunal alone smiley
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by truth4meal(m): 11:32am On Oct 28, 2012
obinnaoduduwa: I no blame them atall because the british people and the Russians helped them that why the foolish Gowon hv mouth to talk,I will things like that will happen again,and we will crush every aboki,international community to bargain wit nw full ground unlike then na only britain and Russia dey free.bloody fools

it is war brother - WAR!...Am sure u've heard of the acronym "NATO" they mostly align with SuperCountry, America in most recent war campaign. In war you seek allied - it was just so bad dat Ojukwu align with failure
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Asiwaju9ja(m): 11:32am On Oct 28, 2012
I hate it wen I see young igbo guys talking about marginalisation. My mother is igbo and father Edo. I have carefully watched as the igbo elite continue to deceive dia youths for dia selfish gains. Igbos are dia own problems. "Autonomous" no let them come together, yet Achebe say naim be d one of d secrets to dia prosperity. He Lie Big Time.

1 Like

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Mgbadike80: 11:33am On Oct 28, 2012
@alh harem, what is point of your two posts? U must not amounce ur self on every igbo related thread. Barika da sallah
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Noiseless2: 11:34am On Oct 28, 2012
Trying too hard to sound like an unbias mind yet can't help applying the nigerian factor, nigerian soldiers were the ones shooting down relief planes,sinking relief ships,bombing market places,bombing farmers in their farms in an effort to destroy their crops by dropping tanks of petrol bombs to setting crops on fire, MR.WISE MAN! Explain to the world why the biafran soldiers would do these things and while you are at it you should also tell us that those Igbos in what is now delta state who were betrayed by their none Igbo neighbours by pointing out every Igbo families or homes for nigerian soldiers to slaughter them, now you tell me those nigerian soldiers were working for who if not for nigeria.

i. The british never gave Nigeria Independence. we simply moved from colonialism to Neo colonism with an imposition of a Government on Nigeria. The deeply flawed elections overseen by the british meant Nigerian was begun on already shaky foundations. This is responsible for the collapse of the government after just 6 years.

ii. His view that the early successes of the Igbo in Nigeria was due to some kind of superior culture to the yorubas and hausas, what he called a 'democratic culture' shows that he didn't consider the other factors at play. Unlike in the east where the british had a lot more control, Northern Nigerian was ruled indirectly through emirs, The people of the east had access to better education in the form of missionaries and therefore produced a number of Intellectuals that were going to form the crust of the new Nigeria.

iii. He conveniently ignored the actions of some biafran soldiers who diverted food meant for starving children for personal consumption. This action by biafran soldiers prolonged the war effort at the expense of the starving population. It is not only the federal government, that is to blame.

iv. The Nigerian army was involved in the massacre and possible genocide of thousands of Innocent Igbos throughout the duration of the war and the silence of the Global powers contributed to it. We saw this scenario repeat itself in Rwanda.

v. Ojukwu could probably have ended the war earlier if he was less stubborn and more practical. We could have some kind of a confederation which would have probably been a better situation for everyone. He refused to consult with major eastern leaders who he felt would compromise. People like Zik and Michael Okpara were not consulted. Zik later withdrew his support for biafra.

vi. His bashing of Awolowo was fairly one sided. One of the reason for stopping food to biafra was because the biafran soldiers were diverting the food so as to continue the war effort. This meant that little was getting to the people who actually needed relief. No army wants to be feeding the opponents.
In addition, the 20 pound settlement to the Igbos after the war was not just an attempt to put the igbos at a disadvantage economically at least not overtly. Were there secret motives?

vii. Nigerians are deeply tribalistic people, hopefully the younger generation can begin to look beyond tribal sentiments and work towards building a more unified country.
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by truth4meal(m): 11:35am On Oct 28, 2012
emeka762001: i believe yakubu gowon his eating the fruit of his labour by the incessant killing of his brothers and sisters everyday in jos by the hausas.
Hobson choice-he will still be happy its not the conquered Igbos of the East, or what do you think wink
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Beync(f): 11:35am On Oct 28, 2012
gowon has brought church of satan in nigeria and he is the head. May amadioha strike your ministry and your evil forces in all high places.
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by aljharem(m): 11:36am On Oct 28, 2012
Asiwaju9ja: I hate it wen I see young igbo guys talking about marginalisation. My mother is igbo and father Edo. I have carefully watched as the igbo elite continue to deceive dia youths for dia selfish gains. Igbos are dia own problems. "Autonomous" no let them come together, yet Achebe say naim be d one of d secrets to dia prosperity. He Lie Big Time.

God bless you
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Asiwaju9ja(m): 11:36am On Oct 28, 2012
Mgbadike80: u left the civil war topic of the thread and started talking another different thing entirely. Pls stick to the topic and stop needless tribal attacks

Brother, I am a detribalised Nigerian. No wonder u did not quote my post. I said remove all political undertone. Achebe wen suppose dey unite us, dey sow seeds of discord. For Selfish reasons again(to sell book)
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by jude33084(m): 11:37am On Oct 28, 2012
Prof Corruption: Igbo and greediness, Igbo and unending lachrymatory lamentations, Igbo and annoying nagging . Nawa oo.

Gowon said take me to ICC. Please take him there and save us the annoying drama. Go and present your case.

Perhaps we should create a crying day for these sobbing dudes .

Same way OBJ went to ICJ aŋԂ won abi? I believe that we should all forget about the past aŋԂ try to share the con3 peacefull because I can hardly see one Nigeria now undecided
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by aljharem(m): 11:37am On Oct 28, 2012
Mgbadike80: @alh harem, what is point of your two posts? U must not amounce ur self on every igbo related thread. Barika da sallah

SMH I must be in every Igbo thread because IGBOS ARE NIGERIANS
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by omayyi: 11:38am On Oct 28, 2012
emeka762001: i believe yakubu gowon his eating the fruit of his labour by the incessant killing of his brothers and sisters everyday in jos by the hausas.
and I believe that ibos are enjoying the fruit of their greed by the incessant killing of ibos by ibos via armed robbery, ritualism, cult killings and fake products...also the daily killing of ibos in Asia and other parts of the world caught with drugs. I'm particularly happy with the fact that a large number of ibos are on death row in various prisons around the world.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Kaduna, Warri, Port Harcourt Refineries Now Produce 6.7m Litres Of Fuel Daily / Troops Recover Shilka And Gun Truck From Fleeing Boko Haram Terrorists (photos) / Photos From Maryam Abacha's 71st Birthday Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.