Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,070 members, 7,818,192 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:58 AM

Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon (27592 Views)

SSS Fights Back, Accuses Buhari’s ADC Of Ignorance, Overzealousness-PremiumTimes / Jonathan Feigns Ignorance Of Wife’s Whereabouts / Wedding Invitation Card Of Gen. Gowon In 1969 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Nobody: 9:17am On Oct 28, 2012
naijaking1:

I see you don't understand the main point of my write up. The principle!!!! What do you say about it? Gowon and Ojukwu will go to ICC at the right time, that's not my point.
Why should a tribe be decimated under false pretence? If it happens to one tribe, and you sit around and cheer, why should you be surprised if it happens to your own tribe in the future?

The world would not believe what you called principle until Gowon is convicted. It doesn't stick because you or Achebe says so. That's why you need to try him at the Hague. The man is generous, he wants to be tried. Why can't Igbo assemble lawyers and get him convicted?

War is not a pretense. People are meant to die during war.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Afam4eva(m): 9:17am On Oct 28, 2012
booked
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Standing5(m): 9:19am On Oct 28, 2012
Booked
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Mgbadike80: 9:24am On Oct 28, 2012
nagoma: War is not a football game.
my dear yet u groan,cry and wail when federal troops engage on unwanton destruction of muslim lives and properties in maidugri, u cry when others show their happiness with the death of innocent muslims in the hands of our security forces. Yet u justify d same to be meted out to other tribes. U see while all this is a matter of principle. It's not about taking a man near his death bed to the hague but preventing future re occurrences. The black man is his own greatest enemy.

3 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by nagoma(m): 9:24am On Oct 28, 2012
naijaking1: I have asked about Gowon's own civil war memoirs, because that will be a comparative response to Achebe's own memoir.
Achebe obviously wrote his own personal experience during that period. Achebe's experience will not be the same as Gowon's or anybody's for that matter. Gowon has the means and the capacity to ink a memoir(to set the record straight an correct other misceptions), but instead, he's walking around making oral and often changable presentations of what he thought happened during the war.

Achebe's story is the continuation of his novels , "Things fall apart,""No longer at ease" and "The Anthills of the savannah." I admire the expertise in the way he tells stories. He is my favorite. He is the best fiction writer Nigeria has produced and most of what he wrote in his latest book on the war is of course well written fiction.

7 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Alxmyr(m): 9:30am On Oct 28, 2012
malele: This gowon is a fool.
He has luck am not in the military I would have taken his life. Old fool
You must be an he-goat.
Your generation put together can never come near Gowon's achievement in life.
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by naijaking1: 9:30am On Oct 28, 2012
Mgbadike80: my dear yet u groan,cry and wail when federal troops engage on unwanton destruction of muslim lives and properties in maidugri, u cry when others show their happiness with the death of innocent muslims in the hands of our security forces. Yet u justify d same to be meted out to other tribes. U see while all this is a matter of principle. It's not about taking a man near his death bed to the hague but preventing future re occurrences. The black man is his own greatest enemy.

Couldn't have said it better.

Prof Corruption:

The world would not believe what you called principle until Gowon is convicted. It doesn't stick because you or Achebe says so. That's why you need to try him at the Hague. The man is generous, he wants to be tried. Why can't Igbo assemble lawyers and get him convicted?

So next time Fulanis begin to murder Beroms, and other native Benue/Plateau indigenes in cold blood, we should just wait for ICC?

4 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Alxmyr(m): 9:32am On Oct 28, 2012
berem: The animal has finally spoken! The seccession started the war but he failed to address what prompted the seccession.Ok so he is ready to face the ICC right? I hope he starts gathering evidence to prove himself right.what a buffoon! angry

What prompted the war is arrogance of wanna be Fidel Castro
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by naijaking1: 9:33am On Oct 28, 2012
nagoma:

Achebe's story is the continuation of his novels , "Things fall apart,""No longer at ease" and "The Anthills of the savannah." I admire the expertise in the way he tells stories. He is my favorite. He is the best fiction writer Nigeria has produced and most of what he wrote in his latest book on the war is of course well written fiction.

No matter what, you'll agree that if Gowon writes his own memeoir, it will be compared and judges by history alongside that of Achebe. That's how history is judges, not by a shouting match.
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Nobody: 9:40am On Oct 28, 2012
naijaking1:

Couldn't have said it better.

So next time Fulanis begin to murder Beroms, and other native Benue/Plateau indigenes in cold blood, we should just wait for ICC?

Communal clashes are quite different from war. Igbo kill Igbo too. Agunleri comes to mind.

We are talking war crimes here.

1 Like

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by GARRIx7(m): 9:42am On Oct 28, 2012
I wonder Y these OKORO-People see no wrong in Ojukwu leading his people into a war he couldn't finish. War is not a game of Ludo. If you're nt ready for a war, don't start it. Ask Japan, Germany, Iraq, Afghanistan etc.

The blood of the dead Ibos will ßξ on the Head of Ojukwu ‎​Άnd his family...

Enough of this whining

7 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by truth4meal(m): 9:47am On Oct 28, 2012
Noiseless2: HAA HAA! Who would thought that the same blood drunken baboon would one day talk of clearing his name in the ICC in panics after 40yrs, when he and his fellow murderers thought that there will never be a judgement day. If he likes let him commit suicide like OBAFEMI A-LovePeddler-LOWO did before the D-DAY no matter how nigeria system tries to frustrate our efforts the day will certainly come.
Let's digress a lil n assume Awo committed sucide in d stead of absconding like Ojukwu in Alam style - How does that affect my honest advise that Igbo shld go to court? Or is it the spirit of Awo that is the system frustrating ur so called "efforts"?...Go to court let d world familiarize u with the truth ur skull protect frm sinking into ur brain-Igbo intellectuals know the truth and cos of the rational nature of their tot system which is AWOL in pple like Achebe - ICC they knw is Waterloo
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Alxmyr(m): 9:49am On Oct 28, 2012
abouzaid: I'm happy that Gowon have finally accepted to face d icj. I will advise his legal team to prepare to answer this questions. 1) did he approve d bombing of bombing of schools,churches,markets and other civilian targets.2) was he aware that awolowo his vice president ordered a blockade of food and drugs against biafra and went on to say that hunger is a weapon of hunger among other genocidal things which was well reported in both local and foreign news media 3) did he break the aburi accord which led to the secession of biafra. 4) was he not aware that his generals engaged in mass execution of civillians in nigerian occupied areas 5) was he not aware of the widely reported execution of over 8000 igbo young men (civillians) in asaba by general murtala muhammed even though asaba was not part of biafra, their only offense was being igbo.6) was bakassi handed over to cameroon and the aborigines displaced by him in return for implementing food and medicine blockade 7) did he not approve the 20 pounds policy of awolowo knowing fully well that will lead to a lifetime of poverty and intergenerational poverty for a region ravaged by war cool did he not intentionally fan d embers of division in biafra leading to the abandoned property saga that dispossessed igbos of their houses and properties they have even in the north 9) did general adekunle refuse delivery of food and medicines to the starving biafran minorities (ogoni,anang,ibibio,efik,kalabari etc) he occupied their land 10) was he aware that top government officials repeatedly said that the igbo numbers must be drastically be reduced ? This was well reported in local and foreign media which led biafra to reject a land corridor when offered out of fear being poisoned. Even d usa government d usa government begged him to allow air delivery of foods from neutral countries but he refused. He was also asked to provide inspection officials but he refused. 11) was the said josina ship owned by the red cross and caritas and did the manifest say it's loaded with relief? Or was it privately owned 12) did the clearly marked red cross air plane he shot down at calabar killing all the crew contain any single round of ammunition 13) can he stand before the ICJ and tell the world that red cross and caritas ships and air planes were being used to smuggle weapons into biafra. 14) what was the government war theme songs being played on the northern radio stations 15) was he not aware of the ongoing executions at the markudi bridge. 16) did he not execute all eastern soldiers in the north while ojukwu safely transported northern soldiers and civillians in the east. I have more to add on that list but a sunday morning is not my best time to do so. However, i won't fail to make spirited efforts to contact the ICJ office for his investigation to proceed? I hope biafran and delta igbo legal experts should do so too.

You questions sparked ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by truth4meal(m): 9:56am On Oct 28, 2012
Mr. Globe:
And to think this pathetic liar and blood sucker was in Niger state for 'Nigeria prays' What an irony, I guess Nigeria prays is his way of staying out of Jos his homeland whenever he is in Nigeria. thank God the ICJ is beginning to dawn on him, it wont be long until a file is opened for him and his cohorts there. Something tells me this man may finally apologize in his death bed. The truth is there for all to see and that is what Achebe stated in that memoir.
Achebe's Truth...

1 Like

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by naijaking1: 9:58am On Oct 28, 2012
Prof Corruption:

Communal clashes are quite different from war. Igbo kill Igbo too. Agunleri comes to mind.

Now, you come back to the principle I raised earlier, good. While communal clashes maybe some sort of pediatric sized genocide, the two are not the same.
However, it's not surprising that a country that justified and tolerated genocide, will have no problems justifying communal clashes.
The principle, that's what makes us a primitive society in 2012
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Mgbadike80: 10:04am On Oct 28, 2012
Prof Corruption:

just last night, d BBC announced that the ICJ chief investigator is in kenya over the communal violence that occured after the 2008 general elections. War crime is war crime be it between nations or communities. Like i said earlier u the black man is ur own greatest enemy
Prof Corruption: @alxmyr, posting is not by force if u don't have anything reasonable to say, pls shut up. This thread is 4 mature and informed minds of all tribes, religion and orientation to share and learn from each other not for ur type of comments.

just last night, d BBC announced that the ICJ chief investigator is in kenya over the communal violence that occured after the 2008 general elections. War crime is war crime be it between nations or communities. Like i said earlier u the black man is ur own greatest enemy
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by truth4meal(m): 10:07am On Oct 28, 2012
Alxmyr:

You questions sparked ignorance.
the dude will soon be call to order by elders who know his mission will put to rest the tool they use to seek relevance in present day Nigeria, the tool of sympathy that they deftly use at the expense of dying Igbos, the tool that their leaders use to absolve themselves of their crimes against their people, the tool they put food on hundreds of people feasting on memoirs salted with half truth, the tool that seek like Alchemy to change lie to truth, a tool that is preserved for blaming passing-disunity-discord-name calling-and above all to keep the truth in a dark lonely alley of history...I double dare Igbos will neva go to ICC
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by FrankC3: 10:10am On Oct 28, 2012
We have heard you Gowon. My father and uncles were in the war front during those difficult days of Igbo existence. I have heard this story better from a gallant, brave and upright man, who told this story from the perspective of a warrior in the forests of Abagana fending off invading federal troops while your men execute air raids on our market places, churches and even streams. My father told me how your troops lined up every male Igbo child(most who were as young as 7) in Asaba and execute them at close range ONLY on the charge of beign Igbo. We remember the quotes of Adekunle and Awolowo. We heard the justification of key elements of your government that starvation is a legitimate weapon of war. I heard these stories, saw the destructions, felt the scar on my dead uncle's waiste before his demise and spoke to men whose charge was to defend our land, women and children from the Russian powered air raids in churches and market places. I also heard about this wonderful man called Ojukwu, who met you in Aburi and reached and agreement with you on the way forward, which you, Gowon, reneged on after seeking counsel with your officials and known tribalists.
I concluded long ago that you are not a man of principle, Mr Gowon. Today, you are praying and tomorrow, you justify Igbo massacre. Biafra is presently happening in Jos and Maiduguri. It has happened in Odi and Zakibiam and promises to go round. If you had honored Aburi accord, Gowon, your people in Jos will still be alive, Maiduguri would be peaceful and Odi and Zakibiam would not have been left wailing.
While you pray, Gowon, pray with your eyes open because of one Nigeria. But don't come insulting each of the Igbos who are directly affected openly with this nonsense. We knew who you were 40 years before Achebe wrote his memoire and but we thought that you have matured over time. Sadly, it was not so...

5 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by nagoma(m): 10:17am On Oct 28, 2012
Mgbadike80: my dear yet u groan,cry and wail when federal troops engage on unwanton destruction of muslim lives and properties in maidugri, u cry when others show their happiness with the death of innocent muslims in the hands of our security forces. Yet u justify d same to be meted out to other tribes. U see while all this is a matter of principle. It's not about taking a man near his death bed to the hague but preventing future re occurrences. The black man is his own greatest enemy.

At least Gowon was honest enough to say what he was doing was war. We have not been informed by the Reterdeen that he is waging a war on Muslims. Perhaps you can encourage him to be honest, then we may not complain.

2 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by MrGlobe(m): 10:20am On Oct 28, 2012
GARRI (x7):
I wonder Y these OKORO-People see no wrong in Ojukwu leading his people into a war he couldn't finish. War is not a game of Ludo. If you're nt ready for a war, don't start it. Ask Japan, Germany, Iraq, Afghanistan etc.

Enough of this whining
and the stupiiiidity and idiocy continues, wars have rules, all is not fair in war like your agbero ancestor awolowo said, if not America would have wiped many nations away from the map, more recently, Isreal would have emptied lebanon and co. The war didnt just come about, it was inevitable at the time and had Biafra gone ahead to win the war without useless britain and co helping Nigeria, people like the blood suckers gowon and awolowo would have spent the rest of their lifetime in the Hague.
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Mgbadike80: 10:35am On Oct 28, 2012
nagoma:

At least Gowon was honest enough to say what he was doing was war. We have not been informed by the Reterdeen that he is waging a war on Muslims. Perhaps you can encourage him to be honest, then we may not complain.
u entered this thread singing a tune that says d biafran genocide was justified but now ur singing a different tune cos the victims are muslims. So u see it's all a matter of principle. By the way, i'm very aware of how boko haram started, blame it on the former borno state governor not GEJ , if nigeria had d right principles, that man would not have dared to unleash such unneedless violence on boko haram. But since the psyche of this nation have been altered by d biafran war experience, then to him, all is fair in war. Mind u, both the ex governor and the military/police commanders were all muslims/northerners. What goes around, turns around. Let's hope our generation would change the face of this nation for the better. As for those calling for hague, would it promote peace or more bloodshed? I'm just thinking out loud.

1 Like

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by mustrule(m): 10:36am On Oct 28, 2012
GARRI (x7):

Enough of this whining
pls i have a question... Did Biafra start the War OR Nigeria?
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by truth4meal(m): 10:40am On Oct 28, 2012
The only group "BILIE" who dare seek the intervention of the International Criminal Court Prosecutor said nothing of the allege Civil war pogrom - the question is WHO IS SCARED OF ICC?

http://www.bilie.org/ICCRelease.aspx
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by GARRIx7(m): 10:43am On Oct 28, 2012
mustrule: pls i have a question... Did Biafra start the War OR Nigeria?

Pls Ask Ojukwu.... grin grin
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by mustrule(m): 10:53am On Oct 28, 2012
GARRI (x7):

Pls Ask Ojukwu.... grin grin
Ojukwu did not but Gowon...
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by tbaba1234: 10:55am On Oct 28, 2012
Finished Achebe's book, It is overall a good read, a number of great points but there are also a number of half-truths.

i. The british never gave Nigeria Independence. we simply moved from colonialism to Neo colonism with an imposition of a Government on Nigeria. The deeply flawed elections overseen by the british meant Nigerian was begun on already shaky foundations. This is responsible for the collapse of the government after just 6 years.

ii. His view that the early successes of the Igbo in Nigeria was due to some kind of superior culture to the yorubas and hausas, what he called a 'democratic culture' shows that he didn't consider the other factors at play. Unlike in the east where the british had a lot more control, Northern Nigerian was ruled indirectly through emirs, The people of the east had access to better education in the form of missionaries and therefore produced a number of Intellectuals that were going to form the crust of the new Nigeria.

iii. He conveniently ignored the actions of some biafran soldiers who diverted food meant for starving children for personal consumption. This action by biafran soldiers prolonged the war effort at the expense of the starving population. It is not only the federal government, that is to blame.

iv. The Nigerian army was involved in the massacre and possible genocide of thousands of Innocent Igbos throughout the duration of the war and the silence of the Global powers contributed to it. We saw this scenario repeat itself in Rwanda.

v. Ojukwu could probably have ended the war earlier if he was less stubborn and more practical. We could have some kind of a confederation which would have probably been a better situation for everyone. He refused to consult with major eastern leaders who he felt would compromise. People like Zik and Michael Okpara were not consulted. Zik later withdrew his support for biafra.

vi. His bashing of Awolowo was fairly one sided. One of the reason for stopping food to biafra was because the biafran soldiers were diverting the food so as to continue the war effort. This meant that little was getting to the people who actually needed relief. No army wants to be feeding the opponents.
In addition, the 20 pound settlement to the Igbos after the war was not just an attempt to put the igbos at a disadvantage economically at least not overtly. Were there secret motives?

vii. Nigerians are deeply tribalistic people, hopefully the younger generation can begin to look beyond tribal sentiments and work towards building a more unified country.

3 Likes

Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Noiseless2: 10:59am On Oct 28, 2012
No, what's actually met it's waterloo here is the shameless continues constant denial and your too much effort by stoking up lies in trying to sweep the genocide commited under the carpet.
truth4meal: Let's digress a lil n assume Awo committed sucide in d stead of absconding like Ojukwu in Alam style - How does that affect my honest advise that Igbo shld go to court? Or is it the spirit of Awo that is the system frustrating ur so called "efforts"?...Go to court let d world familiarize u with the truth ur skull protect frm sinking into ur brain-Igbo intellectuals know the truth and cos of the rational nature of their tot system which is AWOL in pple like Achebe - ICC they knw is Waterloo
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by azimibraun: 11:01am On Oct 28, 2012
Who is d wicked fellow or fellows dt ill advised Achebe? Chai! Ur closest pal is ur worst enemy. Ppl wey knw legendary achebe don wicked am finish. All dis fame and one own goal of a write up nw bring am down.. God no let me score own goal sir.
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by Mgbadike80: 11:08am On Oct 28, 2012
truth4meal: The only group "BILIE" who dare seek the intervention of the International Criminal Court Prosecutor said nothing of the allege Civil war pogrom - the question is WHO IS SCARED OF ICC?

http://www.bilie.org/ICCRelease.aspx
for your information boko haram attacks have already been listed by d ICC as crimes against humanity with the chief prosecutor visiting nigeria. Civil war genocide might follow soon. But the question for u is would it make nigeria more united?
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by 1025: 11:08am On Oct 28, 2012
Gowon will live and die with the blood of nigerians on his head. bakkassi ppl are suffering till date because of the actions of this same wicked idiot.
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by emmke(m): 11:10am On Oct 28, 2012
Why don't you face the topic and leave out present communal clashes that are totally independent of all that happened during the war. You talk as if the SE is a safe haven itself.
Re: Achebe Wrote Out Of Ignorance - Gowon by truth4meal(m): 11:11am On Oct 28, 2012
Noiseless2: No, what's actually met it's waterloo here is the shameless continues constant denial and your too much effort by stoking up lies in trying to sweep the genocide commited under the carpet.
then wat is stopping Igbos from seeking justice then - 40years of denial and trying to sweep "the genocide" under d carpet will be laid to rest unless there is an obvious reason why the Hague looks Yoruba - if Igbos can sacrifice 2 mil pple seeking justice with Bullets and blood; why can't they seek Justice in court with wigs and files? Let ICC be the judge or u guys can shut up - and let God be the judge

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

'The Essentials Of Beauty Therapy' By Aisha Buhari / Constitutional Amendment: See The Nine Key Areas Senate, House Of Reps Disagree. / 18 Governors, Ex-leaders Behind Peter Obi – Ohanaeze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.