Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,228 members, 7,811,630 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:10 PM

FG Spends N100bn On School Books - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Spends N100bn On School Books (3976 Views)

FG Spends N3.42tn In Nine Months / FG Spends N5.8bn On Presidential Jets In Six Months / AIT Replies Tinubu, Demands N100bn Damage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Spends N100bn On School Books by apala911: 5:06pm On Oct 30, 2012
The federal government said it has spent about N100 billion on school books. Minister of Information Labaran Maku said this at 52nd Anniversary Lecture organised by the Chartered Institute of Professional Printers (CIPPON) in Lagos. He said this was exclusive of other printing products.
He emphasized the need for the development of the nation’s printing sector, saying it will prevent perennial capital flight and keep trillions of naira within the nation’s economy.

Maku, who was represented by the ministry’s Director of Publications, Mr. Olufela Oshunbiyi, said there was the need to assist the printing industry with “a deliberate soft loan policy” by the Bank of Industry to stimulate investment in the sector.

He added that a National Printing Industry Fund could also be created for easy access by investors.

He said: “I believe the EFCC and ICPC should have and demonstrate greater interest in the coordination and development of the nation’s printing industry in order to enhance and catalyse the ongoing fight against corruption in Nigeria.”

Also speaking, Minister of State for Trade and Investment, Dr. Samuel Ortom, said his ministry’s new strategy was to pursue a policy framework that would mobilise foreign direct and domestic investments for growth in the critical sectors, including the printing industry.

Represented by Steven Amase, the junior Minister said government is coming up with an option of first refusal to indigenous companies in any local billing.

According to him, a bill to this effect is already at the National Assembly, adding that when passed, members of CIPPON stand to benefit immensely from it.
http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/index.php/business/179923-fg-spends-n100bn-on-school-books
Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by tpia5: 5:07pm On Oct 30, 2012
there was the need to assist the printing industry with “a deliberate soft loan policy” by the Bank of Industry to stimulate investment in the sector.

i agree.
Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by omiobo: 5:39pm On Oct 30, 2012
Comment reserved. First,I need to flush this stubborn sh.I.t
Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by tpia5: 5:53pm On Oct 30, 2012
must you post if you have nothing to say.

we all know nlers were said to have low IQ, no need to buttress the fact.
Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by tpia5: 5:54pm On Oct 30, 2012
he added that a National Printing Industry Fund could also be created for easy access by investors.

good idea, if only the govt will listen and implement these things.
Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by dominique(f): 6:10pm On Oct 30, 2012
So which publishing houses have benefited from this venture so far? scratching head seriously
Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by doofanc: 7:19pm On Oct 30, 2012
Flaming thunderbolts!

Did I just read .1trillion! For printing books? Were they made of gold? Unbelievable!

1 Like

Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by adonisyung(m): 8:18pm On Oct 30, 2012
What level? Primary and secondary I guess....hell no! not tertiary,cz there aint no book in my school's library

2 Likes

Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by Nobody: 8:20pm On Oct 30, 2012
Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by Ogundale(m): 8:23pm On Oct 30, 2012
Honestly, the FG da mad...
Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by Nobody: 8:25pm On Oct 30, 2012
100billion naira on school books?? Ok noted.
Beht y did my lecturer still ask us to buy dis certain textbook worth #2,200 as at today?? undecided
craze man government..
Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by wandeay: 8:31pm On Oct 30, 2012
another N100bn wasted!
Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by mayoroflag(m): 8:32pm On Oct 30, 2012
80% of these books find their way back to the market for resale. Up to 20% of that amount quoted could have been for kicking backs.

The best thing to do to a dying industry is to leave it and let it improvise. A lot is just a pill for dying another day....not sustainable. But the bureaucrats will likely continue to preserve their kickback golden goose...
Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by otokx(m): 8:32pm On Oct 30, 2012
what kind of books did they buy and for whom? in fact where are those books?

2 Likes

Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by PatcomAutos: 8:34pm On Oct 30, 2012
This govt re criminals abeg.
Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by acidtalk: 8:35pm On Oct 30, 2012
Ah! JONATHAN!!!
This man no dey fear God oh!
Na Masters and Ph.D students this government dey give the book to or na Our Students for Pluto and Venus??

This government is the most corrupt on planet earth.

Please I will like people to come out and attest to the fact that their children (wards) received books, let's estimate the number of books given and multiply it by 150million children (assuming the entire Nigerian citizens were even given books).

Jonathan I hail oh!

1 Like

Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by DonaldGenes(m): 8:43pm On Oct 30, 2012
A whooping N100bn
that was wow! So who and who dey read all these book is a million dollar question?

1 Like

Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by Nobody: 8:46pm On Oct 30, 2012
AMAZING!!!!! AMAZING!!!! AMAZING!!!!! NIGERIA.........
Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by Nobody: 8:46pm On Oct 30, 2012
They printed the books for the whole of Africa?

1 Like

Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by chucky234(m): 8:54pm On Oct 30, 2012
N100bn spent on books yet the whole libraries are empty,stocked with ancients books published by Macmillan publishers.
Where are the books distributed because as far as I know our primary,secondary schools and tertiary institutions have no modern books in their libraries thereby making it a lucrative venture for teachers and lecturers to sell handouts to students at exorbitant prices. This govt is a huge joke,gosh!

1 Like

Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by 234GT(m): 8:57pm On Oct 30, 2012
Na wash!
Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by chucky234(m): 9:03pm On Oct 30, 2012
acidtalk: Ah! JONATHAN!!!
This man no dey fear God oh!
Na Masters and Ph.D students this government dey give the book to or na Our Students for Pluto and Venus??

This government is the most corrupt on planet earth.

Please I will like people to come out and attest to the fact that their children (wards) received books, let's estimate the number of books given and multiply it by 150million children (assuming the entire Nigerian citizens were even given books).

Jonathan I hail oh!
Seem you have started drinking acid again,the entire population is about 160m people how come you have 150m children in your post?
Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by Nobody: 9:06pm On Oct 30, 2012
Where are the books?! Seeing is believing - as a general say!
Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by Kslib(m): 9:13pm On Oct 30, 2012
Omo see money!! Our FG no get sense atall,after spending all those money on books,still our youths dont want to read.. Upon all the books,Our educational system is a total waste of precious time.. Why not use that same money to invest in a project that will engage the youths and make them use their talent instead of forcing them to read..
Abi na by force to read..
Na reading go make them happy for life..
Na reading go improve our economy and infrastructure..
Why not use the money to open a something like a science centre where raw practicals will be done,so that the youths can catch up with their mates all over the world technology wise..
When we dey busy dey read books,china dey busy dey do practicals/inventions that will move their country forward and help humanity..
Why not also open something like a medical research centre where various research can be carried out.. We are abundantly blessed with many plants/trees/herbs that can be used to produce many drugs for various diseases.. We can also export these drugs and make very hot huge money..
FG please the youths dont want to read,why not provide a suitable enviroment to move this country forward? The youths gat the talents and want to work,but you are bending their hands..
I DONT WANT TO BE ON MY DIEING BED REGRETTING WHY I NEVER USED THE TIME I SPENT READING TO DO SOMETHING THAT WILL IMPACT THE LIFE OF OTHERS POSITIVELY...
FG,abeg we no wan read...we wan work to heal the wounds of this country,and time is not on our side... Abi is it a crime to be a NIGERIAN..
As for me,i read only what is necessary and adds value to life.. Nobody will brainwash me into reading nonsense.. My brother life is too short...
I have no apology to render for any grammatical blunder found in this post..

2 Likes

Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by waice6571: 9:22pm On Oct 30, 2012
All LIERS shall die and go to hell fire!

1 Like

Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by Nobody: 9:30pm On Oct 30, 2012
chucky234: Seem you have started drinking acid again,the entire population is about 160m people how come you have 150m children in your post?
gosh! You just made me laugh my a.ss off. Lol grin
Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by Nobody: 9:34pm On Oct 30, 2012
100 Billion Naira could have built and equipped a world class research university!!! I don't understand what sort of Leaders we have at the helm of affairs. Don't we want to progress as a people This just baffles me.....when will they get tired of chopping money and see that the black race is a laughing stock of the world!!! We as black people are the most backward race on earth.....WHY?? Are we just inherently savage like and closer to animals like Lord Lugard asserted?

1 Like

Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 30, 2012
I hope they are referring to toilet paper.
Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by Kobojunkie: 9:41pm On Oct 30, 2012
Sigh! Is there evidence that this money, or half of it, was actually spent producing books at all?

1 Like

Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by a1solution: 9:46pm On Oct 30, 2012
Kslib: Omo see money!! Our FG no get sense atall,after spending all those money on books,still our youths dont want to read.. Upon all the books,Our educational system is a total waste of precious time.. Why not use that same money to invest in a project that will engage the youths and make them use their talent instead of forcing them to read..
Abi na by force to read..
Na reading go make them happy for life..
Na reading go improve our economy and infrastructure..
Why not use the money to open a something like a science centre where raw practicals will be done,so that the youths can catch up with their mates all over the world technology wise..
When we dey busy dey read books,china dey busy dey do practicals/inventions that will move their country forward and help humanity..
Why not also open something like a medical research centre where various research can be carried out.. We are abundantly blessed with many plants/trees/herbs that can be used to produce many drugs for various diseases.. We can also export these drugs and make very hot huge money..
FG please the youths dont want to read,why not provide a suitable enviroment to move this country forward? The youths gat the talents and want to work,but you are bending their hands..
I DONT WANT TO BE ON MY DIEING BED REGRETTING WHY I NEVER USED THE TIME I SPENT READING TO DO SOMETHING THAT WILL IMPACT THE LIFE OF OTHERS POSITIVELY...
FG,abeg we no wan read...we wan work to heal the wounds of this country,and time is not on our side... Abi is it a crime to be a NIGERIAN..
As for me,i read only what is necessary and adds value to life.. Nobody will brainwash me into reading nonsense.. My brother life is too short...
I have no apology to render for any grammatical blunder found in this post..
Well said, we need technical schools even if it means bringing foreigners as tutors, is better than this one step forward two step back
Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by Olaone1: 9:51pm On Oct 30, 2012
100b?

For the African continent?
Re: FG Spends N100bn On School Books by greaterlove(m): 10:13pm On Oct 30, 2012
Before we scream our brains out let's do this maths, if our population is about 150m, and let's say about 20m are in public primary and secondary schools all over naija and the government is to print an average of 5 books per student for each class at 1000naira per book that already is 100billion. As per the money spent I don't see it as a problem,( and nowhere did he the minister state it was spent in one year) but what I see as a problem is if the books do not reach the students they are meant for or if the government is not printing at all. is there anybody in the house who is a teacher in a public school that can clarify if government really distributes books in his or her school?

(1) (2) (Reply)

UNN - Special Senate Session For Achebe / The Buhari Nigerians Don’t Know – David West / El-zakzaky:khamenei Leaves Powerful Message For Saudi King & Buhari Via Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.