Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,199 members, 7,818,666 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner (11300 Views)

How Intelligence Reports Foiled Saraki’s Near Escape From CCT Trial – Ripples / Buhari May Sack Emefiele ‘Any Moment From Now’ - Ripples / Nigeria’s Population May Hit 300m, Says UNIDO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by mukina2: 2:24am On Oct 31, 2012
The Lagos state government has raised concerns over the imminent ripple effect of the Hurricane Sandy that hit the United States of America and the Caribbean.

At a press conference in Lagos on Tuesdau, the Commissioner for Waterfront and Infrastructure Development, Segun Oniru said experience has shown that whenever hurricane, cyclone or other natural disasters occurred on the American shore, the ripple effects were always felt in Lagos within seven and 14 days period.

“Let Lagosians know what is going on, and what to expect, it is not to create panic; they should be careful around the Ocean and Lagoon. In the last five to six days, around the Caribbean, from Jamaica, Haiti, Cuba Hurricane Sandy has hit those places and has also hit the East Coast of America.

“Normally, when such happens, and when those kinds of magnitude hit that part of the world, we always have a ripple effect in Lagos and around the West Coast of Africa. Our main concern is Lagos; it is a warning, but not to create panic,” he said.

The Commissioner further said that “Lagos lies parallel to the South America part of the world on the map, but super storm Sandy has hit New York City and Atlantic and the West Part.

“That part of the world is northern to us, but we need to note that within the next seven to 14 days, we may get a ripple effect

“When the wind starts, the wind turns to a hurricane and then high water level begins to rise because of the wind; imagine throwing water on a glass, it will splash back, so we may have high wave, high water level.

“I advise those who live around the coastline and shoreline to be vigilant and remain calm and if they start seeing storms like the one that occurred on 17 of August this year, they should stay off the Atlantic. It’s a warning to those on the Coastline.”

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2012/10/30/ripples-of-hurricane-sandy-may-hit-lagos-commissioner/

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by manny4life(m): 2:28am On Oct 31, 2012
Haha, Lagos have come again with their theories. Ripples will affect you from 5,000+ miles away? This must be a really super storm Sandy shocked shocked shocked
Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by Nobody: 2:35am On Oct 31, 2012
what can i say?
Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by Nobody: 2:36am On Oct 31, 2012
manny4life: Haha, Lagos have come again with their theories. Ripples will affect you from 5,000+ miles away? This must be a really super storm Sandy shocked shocked shocked
it's common sense that there's going to be an ocean surge across the Atlantic.

9 Likes

Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by lafuria1(m): 2:37am On Oct 31, 2012
really?? he makes a conclusion because of some random observation, wat is whenver it happens in us....i cant shout. all am concerned is what preparation are in ground to curb d effect in case it goes out of control, i guess none. just d usual we told you.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by 50calibre(m): 2:38am On Oct 31, 2012
Ripples from thousand of miles away? These people have started magnetizing evil for themselves even if they know they are not equipped to handle 1/10 of the scale of hurricane sandy.
Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by betran65: 2:51am On Oct 31, 2012
We that live @ Lekkia Ajah should we park? Or go n buy canoe
Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by larrymoore(m): 2:57am On Oct 31, 2012
I need to travel back to desert now to avoid any evil.
Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by NosaHenry(m): 2:57am On Oct 31, 2012
The commissioner should talk scientifically and not on mere speculation. American govt knew what was coming and they were prepared for it.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by chichiman: 3:12am On Oct 31, 2012
[size=18pt]WHERE IS THE SCIENTIFIC AND EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE FOR THIS? CLUELESS LOT.[/size]
Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by seedord247(m): 3:30am On Oct 31, 2012
chichiman: [size=18pt]WHERE IS THE SCIENTIFIC AND EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE FOR THIS? CLUELESS LOT.[/size]

Prophet scientist t.v joshua. angry
Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by niggadee(m): 3:35am On Oct 31, 2012
chichiman: [size=18pt]WHERE IS THE SCIENTIFIC AND EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE FOR THIS? CLUELESS LOT.[/size]
you are mad 2 rubbish naija like that we got scientific weather forecast.
Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by ikponma: 3:39am On Oct 31, 2012
WhAt have you put in place to ensure PPI will be safe or perhaps rescued if it actually happen?? Clueless country with illiterate leaders
Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by kpolli(m): 3:49am On Oct 31, 2012
This commissioner should be sacked for his stupidity, North America and Nigeria. . . . How does that work?
Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by niggadee(m): 4:08am On Oct 31, 2012
kpolli: This commissioner should be sacked for his stupidity, North America and Nigeria. . . . How does that work?
olodo Tsunami Waves Hit Hawaii Islands After Devastating Japan Coast in 2011 natural disasters travel around the world

12 Likes

Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by FrankC3: 4:16am On Oct 31, 2012
This guy is talking bull. How can a political appointee be issuing weather forecast without empirical projection even from our satellite powered NIMET? Anyway, how else could he attract fund to his office for 'emmergency management' if not for this king of alarm. It is all about what to grab from state coffers and watch Fash oblige him cos it is one big cordinated scam.
Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by RoyalRoy(m): 4:25am On Oct 31, 2012
niggadee: olodo Tsunami Waves Hit Hawaii Islands After Devastating Japan Coast in 2011 natural disasters travel around the world
On which airline please? Lmao.
Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by Syenite(m): 4:26am On Oct 31, 2012
Very lame analysis especially the example of throwing water on glass.I am sorry but u dnt sound like some1 that has a bearing on the subject matter.This is what u get when u try to fix square pegs in circular holes. I know u dnt even know the category and magnitude of the storm . Oya Lagos pple una don hear naa..Una commissioner say Ripples dey come o.
Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by RoyalRoy(m): 4:28am On Oct 31, 2012
niggadee: you are mad 2 rubbish naija like that we got scientific weather forecast.

No need to be abusive to make your point!

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by niggadee(m): 4:30am On Oct 31, 2012
Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by niggadee(m): 4:35am On Oct 31, 2012
Royal Roy:

No need to be abusive to make your point!
well said

2 Likes

Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by Syenite(m): 4:38am On Oct 31, 2012
Nosa-Henry:
The commissioner should talk scientifically and not on mere speculation. American govt knew what was coming and they were prepared for it.

On point bro. He is just a politician. E no sabi anything. Throwing water on glass and it will splash back at u my foot.
Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by Syenite(m): 4:42am On Oct 31, 2012
niggadee: you are mad 2 rubbish naija like that we got scientific weather forecast.
He is not saying Nigeria does not have scientific weather forecasting techniques or equipments. He meant the politicain did not provide any scientific or empirical evidence of his projections.
Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by member479760: 4:44am On Oct 31, 2012
However , hurricane sandy was downgraded to super storm, the guy need to be current. I wish those acula in NJ streets find their way to Lagos.
Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by myghdaustralia: 4:53am On Oct 31, 2012
I am sorry but u dnt sound like some1 that has a bearing on the subject matter.This is what u get when u try to fix square pegs in circular holes.
Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by manny4life(m): 4:56am On Oct 31, 2012
Brand_new: it's common sense that there's going to be an ocean surge across the Atlantic.

Ocean surge from Hurricane Sandy abi? They will feel ripple effect from almost 5,000 miles away?

Like someone rightly pointed, on Monday, Hurricane Sandy was downgraded to a Tropical super storm on the Eastern Seaboard, so what Hurricane ripple effects are they talking about?
Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by Nobody: 4:59am On Oct 31, 2012
Clown cheesy grin
Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by kpolli(m): 5:03am On Oct 31, 2012
niggadee: olodo Tsunami Waves Hit Hawaii Islands After Devastating Japan Coast in 2011 natural disasters travel around the world

Genius, hope u know how to analyze. . . . One is parallel and the other is . . . . . .

Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by niggadee(m): 5:04am On Oct 31, 2012
Syenite: He is not saying Nigeria does not have scientific weather forecasting techniques or equipments. He meant the politicain did not provide any scientific or empirical evidence of his projections.
i don't give a sh*t about the hurricane or whatever im a nigerian in diaspora as well and i'm sick of our people over here bringing naija so low.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by Nobody: 5:12am On Oct 31, 2012
I laff...A politician trying to be relevant. Where is the scientific, wave data and ocean data that the Hurricane is coming to Nigeria. For all we knw, the hurricane my be towards Australia. Someone just open his mouth and start blowing false alarm. As an environmental and water resources engineering I can conclusively tell you that Nigeria has no such data, doesn't fund the gathering of such data and government is less concerned. There is little or no protection of our coastal shores and no emergency response teams and if such hurricane were to come then may God help us all. I bet the guy is a lawyer/accountant that has been made 'oga'; a square peg in round hole.
Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by seedord247(m): 5:17am On Oct 31, 2012
Royal Roy:
On which airline please? Lmao.

Air Nigeria. grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Ripples Of Hurricane Sandy May Hit – Commissioner by niggadee(m): 5:23am On Oct 31, 2012
seedord247:

Air Nigeria. grin
t.w.a.t u are mocking your self not me.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jonathan Not In New York With 600-man Delegation – Abati / Obiano And Wife At Anambra 2016 Immunization Programme - See Photos / Senate Considers Climate Change Bill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.