Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,737 members, 7,809,825 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:32 PM

How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? (12562 Views)

Is Governor Ambode Of Lagos State A Christian Or Muslim / Akinwunmi Ambode / Christian Or Muslim ? / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by AjanleKoko: 1:15pm On Nov 01, 2012
naijababe:

Exactly! So excuse me for telling him to feck off!

Erm . . . babes, you are on your own there o. grin
Anyway, I think the vast majority of religious people are self-righteous hypocrites. So I try not to be religious. But I definitely fear God wink [size=4pt]Like I get choice?[/size]

1 Like

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Itoroetti(m): 1:15pm On Nov 01, 2012
afam4eva:
If he feels it's the best then it's the best in his world.

u may feel dat u love a lady,does that mean u love her?itz an opinion which maybe rit or wrong
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Ariyke: 1:19pm On Nov 01, 2012
Born and brought up in a Muslim home
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by bee444: 1:25pm On Nov 01, 2012
I was born into a Muslim home but had this feeling and conviction about Christianity. I attended the Muslim school and prayed five times a day. Most of my friends were Christians and I love hanging out with them.

My father was a Muslim but loved reading the Bible, like-wise my mum. I then saw this Christian book and started reading it. What I saw immediately convinced me that I was practicing the wrong faith. I then started comparing and contrasting both books (Bible & Quran), mehn, they aren't the same!

That same day, inside my room, I gave my life to Christ by reading out what the book said about giving yourself to Christ. Few days later, I saw this beautiful and blessed lady passing through my house, I approached her, told her I like her and walked with her to where she was going. She then invited me over to her Church where I met with her Pastor, the rest is my story.

5 Likes

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by honeric01(m): 1:30pm On Nov 01, 2012
Well i was born into a christian home, BECAME a church going christian like most people in Lagos but WITH NO CHRISTIAN NAME. (Native name and i love it). But i went in search of God and the meaning of Life on my own, still on the search and i am gradually detaching myself from the conventional "Christianity" practiced in Nigeria and some part of the world while trying to embrace the undiluted teachings of Jesus Christ.

If ANYONE can be or ACT like Jesus, believe me, heaven is sure for you. look unto Jesus, the author and the finisher of our faith and ignore the vain religion (ALL RELIGIONS) being practiced today include the fake Christianity popular in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by kingingkinging: 1:31pm On Nov 01, 2012
zaboy: I was born into an Islamic family, and i am still a muslim. However, i took time to study both Islam and Christianity (since they are the 2 major religions in nigeria). I studied their scriptures and histories as well. The original message of Jesus christ is no different from that of Mohammad really, however, the christianity practiced today is nowhere near what Jesus preached. Christian scholars say only 20% of the present bible is actually God's words, the rest are just inventions by writers.

You are correct by saying the original message of Jesus is not fully practiced-we are growing into perfection, on to the full measure of the stature of Christ, so no problem, we shall be there. But about the message of Christ and Mohammed being same, you are outrightly wrong. Check from the following areas:
1. Christ did not not preach Poligamy-Mohammed did;
2. Christ did not preach vengeance-Mohammed did eye for eye-Sharia Law. In fact, Jesus said if you are slapped at the right cheek, turn the left and he practised that when Peter cut the ear of one of his attackers.
3. Christ did not fight any war, he hated shedding of blood- Mohammed fought, killed and initiated Boko Haram (just joking);
4. Mohammed turned the story of Abraham by claiming Ishmael was the child that was offered for sacrifice instead of Isaac.
so many differences.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Wsdm: 1:41pm On Nov 01, 2012
planetuzor: Afam have ones tot ths way b4..i a christian, a pastor's child. I use 2 ask my self what if i was born in Iraq or Iran dominated by muslim by a muslim mother would i stil wana be a muslim or rather change to b a xtian. .hav lived all my live being a christian and m loving it. Having to get direction, hear God, follow the instructions of the Holyspirit. And really i dare not say i dnt believe in it because have witnessed the miracles, the healings, the seemingly imposible turn possible n hav been a living witness. . Bt stil i have a question, do muslims or other religion also experience things like hearing the Holyspirit, divine healing, opening of the blinds eye,the lame walk n dumb here? Do they also feel the presence of their God, or see a prophesy come 2 pass or even hear the Holy spirit live? . . . .i realy need a muslim to chime in n lets knw bkos as a christian u enjoy all this, am a living witnes to this.
All the qualities you have mentioned are natural qualities that could be gifted to Any man regardless their religion. I experience even more than this eventhough i am not a Christian. If these qualities qualifies us to be practicing the best religion,then every religion is certainly the best. But let me give you an expo: the best of mankind in the sight of the Almighty, is the most fearful of Him.
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by UjSizzle(f): 1:41pm On Nov 01, 2012
rajiade:

I dey laf Oooooo. So their conversion to Islam brought them such experience right?
Are there no christians who experience such even as a devoted christian?
Haba, Nigerians and their mosquito reasoning and imagination.

How about Jesus (even when he wished dat miserable experience never came to pass), just to mention dat alone.

Hmmm hmmmm.
that's a terrible example.
If Christ hadn't suffered and died on that cross, there would be nothing like Christianity today.
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Jamisco: 1:47pm On Nov 01, 2012
afam4eva: Ethnicity is something that ones is born with and not something that you learn or become but religion on the other hand is something that you became or was probably passed down to you but it has not always been like that.

Whenever I see people from different religions arguing over who is right, i wonder, are these people fighting for the religion they belong to because they found themselves there.

As a Christian, i wonder what i would have been if i was born a Muslim or a Budhist. I'll probably be proclaiming that Allah is the best thing to happen to the world. If some Muslims were born Christians, they would have been preaching Jesus to whoever cares to listen.

Now, are you a Christian/Catholic or Muslim because your parents were one and you were probably born one? I guess majority of the answers will be in the affirmative. Only few people actually get to convert to another religion. You see some Christians saying that Christianity is the way thereby citing how Alhaja A converted to become a Pastor.

I'm sure Moslems also have a story of how a hardcore Pastor became an Imam. I remember i asked one Christian why he thinks Christianity is the way and he said "You'll know once you feel the Holy-spirit".

I want to imagine Moslems are still Moslems because they're also feeling something similar to the Holy spirit in their religion. If they were not benefiting anything they would have left, right?

You'll also see someone telling you that God provided the house, cars and everything that he has attained in life. Now, Atheists and people from every religion also have these things. T

here are also poor people from every religion. It now brings me back to the question "Are you part of your Region because you were born into it or because you made a conscious effort to be part of it"

Btw, I'm a Christian.

even though i was born into a Christian family, i am a Christian because i found not only the truth of Christianity but i had, having contact with Christ through the holy spirit. i experience holy spirit, i feel it and it talks to me always.

i am from the northern part of the country and i know so much about the Muslim and the Qur'an even much more than the average Muslim, there is no life in it. they don't believe in the holy spirit, they don't feel anything, they only use their so called holy book to commit inhuman act. mind you we have only two spirits in the universe i.e holy spirit and the evil spirit and so every religion must belong to one. in this case if holy spirit is not controlling them, they are controlled by the evil spirit - thats why killings
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by phemmy1987: 1:50pm On Nov 01, 2012
Am a muslim by birth.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by UjSizzle(f): 1:53pm On Nov 01, 2012
Why do you guys even bother comparing Jesus to Mohammed? I think it's quite an insult to Jesus.

6 Likes

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Jamisco: 1:56pm On Nov 01, 2012
kingingkinging:

You are correct by saying the original message of Jesus is not fully practiced-we are growing into perfection, on to the full measure of the stature of Christ, so no problem, we shall be there. But about the message of Christ and Mohammed being same, you are outrightly wrong. Check from the following areas:
2. Christ did not preach vengeance-Mohammed did eye for eye-Sharia Law. In fact, Jesus said if you are slapped at the right cheek, turn the left and he practised that when Peter cut the ear of one of his attackers.
3. Christ did not fight any war, he hated shedding of blood- Mohammed fought, killed and initiated Boko Haram (just joking);
4. Mohammed turned the story of Abraham by claiming Ishmael was the child that was offered for sacrifice instead of Isaac.
so many differences.

you can't even compare the preaching of Jesus Christ and Mohammed or Holy Bible (the Book) and the Qur'an the later preaches death and the former preaches life.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by authecosta911(m): 2:48pm On Nov 01, 2012
habbey99: To me,islam is the way coz prophet muhammed taught us that's God created man aljin and animal to worhip Allah....
May Almighty Allah be with u 4 dis comment.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by bokohalal(m): 2:55pm On Nov 01, 2012
Coldfeet: Don't need to! Did anybody die for them? NO!!

A thing is not always right because somebody died for it!
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Nov 01, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Anyway, I think the vast majority of religious people are self-righteous hypocrites. So I try not to be religious. But I definitely fear God wink [size=4pt]Like I get choice?[/size]

See fear grin.
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by authecosta911(m): 2:57pm On Nov 01, 2012
Xtians wit there mosquito brain... how did u became a God son and who's ur mother dat God impregnated to gv birth to olodos? i'm so proud to be a Muslim.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Olaone1: 2:59pm On Nov 01, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Hmm.
I often struggle with that myself. I think to myself, Are we some kind of game the Almighty plays? Setting obstacle courses, providing puzzles that most people cannot figure out in their lifetime?

But well, if you refer to two verses in the Bible:

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:

And

Exo 20:5 . . . for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

In my human reasoning, I look at those two verses and tell myself: 'You are so screwed, either which way!'

grin grin

Religion: the more you look; the less you see.
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by bokohalal(m): 3:01pm On Nov 01, 2012
kingingkinging:

so many differences.

The true Abrahamic faiths are Judaism and Islam. Christianity is really not. If Jesus was a Jew you should be one too.
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by garrigangster: 3:02pm On Nov 01, 2012
Only a foool would compare religions. If u prove that Islam is better than christianity or vice versa, let people see the teachings of your religion through you.
I was born into a Muslim family, gat christian friends and all. I find the 2 religions empty.
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by ojubi(m): 3:03pm On Nov 01, 2012
I LOVE THE MOST HIGH GOD
i LOVE JESUS.
Bleep religion, Bleep chuch ductrins, fuckislamic ductrins for all the wrong beliefs and bad motives and hate planted by religion.
As human we all seek peace on earth and it is the most high God that give that peace. Wether u re worshiping him as a muslim, christian, bhudist etc.... God is God.
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Abuklaw(m): 3:07pm On Nov 01, 2012
zaboy: I was born into an Islamic family, and i am still a muslim. However, i took time to study both Islam and Christianity (since they are the 2 major religions in nigeria). I studied their scriptures and histories as well. The original message of Jesus christ is no different from that of Mohammad really, however, the christianity practiced today is nowhere near what Jesus preached. Christian scholars say only 20% of the present bible is actually God's words, the rest are just inventions by writers.
i align wit ur skul of taught,i am on a research wit case study 'THE REFORMERS IMPACT IN ISLAM N XTIANITY' and av went thru many books written by scholars of d two religion,my conclusion is dat much impact is made by d reformers in xtianity dan islam, and in d process change d real etiquette of hw xtians ar 2 serve their God

1 Like

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Olaone1: 3:09pm On Nov 01, 2012
AjanleKoko:

No. I would say: all of them.

It is not HUMANLY possible to follow the commandments, trust me. They are hypocrites.

E.g. Is it possible/medically advisable for a 28 year old single lady to be a virgin?

When they prepared the bible, they used to marry girls off at 14 or thereabouts (after 1 or 2 menstrual cycles).

These days, girls dey dem papa house at 30 (after over 200 menstrual cycles). Let them continue to mouth off "thou shall not fornicate."

Hypocrites.
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by zaboy: 3:12pm On Nov 01, 2012
Abuklaw: i align wit ur skul of taught,i am on a research wit case study 'THE REFORMERS IMPACT IN ISLAM N XTIANITY' and av went thru many books written by scholars of d two religion,my conclusion is dat much impact is made by d reformers in xtianity dan islam, and in d process change d real etiquette of hw xtians ar 2 serve their God

Exactly!
I couldn't have said it better!
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by iwanchop(m): 3:14pm On Nov 01, 2012
[quote author=kingingkinging]

People changing to Islam are getting worse- Michael Jacson-died miserably, Janet Jacson-career loss, Mike Tyson-career loss, Tupac Shakur-died mysterously,etc.
I also know a born again xtian dat died miserably,i know another dat lost her job nd lived a miserable lyf til she died.Why do some ppu think lyk detergent?So religion is now a function of sucess?Bone it!I kno ppu who dnt practise any religion but hv everythin at their disposal.U suck man
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by ayindetemi: 3:24pm On Nov 01, 2012
This is a very sensitive discussion-i usually wonder why am I practicing this religion-i could remember while growin up-i askd why must I go to church,why must I do this n not that but has d days pass by frm kindagaten-to univ,I realized there is a God dt sees to d affairs of men.I got a personal conviction abt my God thru personal experiences.1.A God dt answers whn u call on his name(sorry 2 compare-i av moslem friends n family-they seems to belief that u av to help urslf(in yoruba they say-"oloun o ko aajo"d so called alaajis still hang smtin fetish somwhre in dr shop or house),I ws 1cs stay wt an alfa wht I saw was nt encouragin-always doin concutions(hantu)4 ppl n d house dos nt usually feel gud at all n everywia filled 1 perfume(incense)or d oda.I conclude that in jesus there peace,joy n liberty,if trully u believe.I av seen him do wonders n he's still doin it.I av peace,I talk to him anytime ,anywia n relate wt him as a father n everyday I realize knowing jesus is d greatest gift av ever had
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by khalids: 3:34pm On Nov 01, 2012
Loving this thread.......This is the same question that I have asked so many people who always carry their religion on their heads like they truly know everything in this world. The fact of the matters is people need to study the religions they practice and weigh it for substance and truth. And even then I believe they will still have a bias for the religion they were born into.......................I can see many responses here and a lot of them are bias...
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Ganys: 3:47pm On Nov 01, 2012
kingingkinging:

People changing to Islam are getting worse- Michael Jacson-died miserably, Janet Jacson-career loss, Mike Tyson-career loss, Tupac Shakur-died mysterously,etc. I dont want any of the above. I was born a muslim but received the message of light of the Son Of God- Jesus said, I am the way, the truth and the life, if any man comes to me, though he dies, he shall live again. What an assurance from the master. Besides Jesus is not a religion but the way of salvation-any muslim who believes in his sonship, death and resurection shall go to paradise-like the thief at his right hand side on the cross.
Are u sure u are formerly a Muslim, Do u even know & understand the content of Quran...Well, Elrufai don talk am, Naija youth no dey read...
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by samally: 3:54pm On Nov 01, 2012
ashson: ISLAM is my religion. i have found islam to be the real and only religion that comes from God. come to think of it, islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. million of people in america and europe were not born muslims, due to research and quest for the truth, they end up converting to muslims, with the fact that islam is being painted as the religion of conflicts and killings which is all setup just to discourage people to do more research about islam thereby ending up as muslims. ISLAM is simply a way of life, everything about how to live this life had been planned for you since before you were born.

Koran 39vrs16....Though muslim sees it as forbidden if you read, But I read and confirmed that jesus was the son of God.....

replied with Koran Evidence not preacher...though is only God that know who will make heaven...just praying to him to can't me worthy.....
N.B...

Michael Jackson,Selena, John pope2 are all inside Hell Fire include The lady pastor that died inside bellview...
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by pappilo(m): 3:54pm On Nov 01, 2012
Afam4eva

Can you add a poll with the following to choose from.

*Born Xtian, converted to Islam
*Born Muslim, converted to Xtianity
*Born Xtian, still Xtian
*Born Muslim, still Muslim
*Born either Xtain or Muslim, now atheist/other

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Ganys: 3:54pm On Nov 01, 2012
naijababe:

Not true, living conditions can be a factor. Christianity and conversions to Christianity are prevalent in countries with a poverty ratio, esp. pentecostal Christianity.

@ Post, was born into Islam, practised Christianity for some time, now a proud and unrepentant deist.
Christianity in Nigeria thrive on deceit. They invest so much money on travelling to Poverty stricken Villages across northern Nigeria, They provide Food, shelter and send small children to school all in the name of converting them to christianity..They change some muslim names from LAWAL to LAWALSON.., Sulyman to SOLOMON...
and so on...Im a Muslim, i was born as muslim, I sought for knowledge about islam to the Phd level..I have attended Bible schools in Ibadan, Ogbomosho, Zaria & ilorin, I know more about xtianity and other religion..
Islam is My Choice, i wasnt forced or Enticed to be Muslim, I embraced it Myself....
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by samally: 3:56pm On Nov 01, 2012
Drop your reply with koran verse not El rufia
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by seedord247(m): 3:59pm On Nov 01, 2012
Afam..... I thought you asked about how did you discover your religion not the different btw muhammad (saw) jesus(aaw).

You cant tell me that comment made by that twerp seems obsolete to you. I beg u in the name of what you served, ask the mod to delete that comment bcus its insultive.

Nigerians cant debate on a simple topic without using derogatory words.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Didnt God Kill Satan From The Onset? / Muslim Refugees Throw Away Aid Parcels From Red Cross Because Of Crosses On Them / My Testimony, My Survival (Graphic Images)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.