Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:26 AM

How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? (12586 Views)

Is Governor Ambode Of Lagos State A Christian Or Muslim / Akinwunmi Ambode / Christian Or Muslim ? / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Afam4eva(m): 5:37pm On Oct 31, 2012
Ethnicity is something that ones is born with and not something that you learn or become but religion on the other hand is something that you became or was probably passed down to you but it has not always been like that.

Whenever I see people from different religions arguing over who is right, i wonder, are these people fighting for the religion they belong to because they found themselves there.

As a Christian, i wonder what i would have been if i was born a Muslim or a Budhist. I'll probably be proclaiming that Allah is the best thing to happen to the world. If some Muslims were born Christians, they would have been preaching Jesus to whoever cares to listen.

Now, are you a Christian/Catholic or Muslim because your parents were one and you were probably born one? I guess majority of the answers will be in the affirmative. Only few people actually get to convert to another religion. You see some Christians saying that Christianity is the way thereby citing how Alhaja A converted to become a Pastor.

I'm sure Moslems also have a story of how a hardcore Pastor became an Imam. I remember i asked one Christian why he thinks Christianity is the way and he said "You'll know once you feel the Holy-spirit".

I want to imagine Moslems are still Moslems because they're also feeling something similar to the Holy spirit in their religion. If they were not benefiting anything they would have left, right?

You'll also see someone telling you that God provided the house, cars and everything that he has attained in life. Now, Atheists and people from every religion also have these things. T

here are also poor people from every religion. It now brings me back to the question "Are you part of your Region because you were born into it or because you made a conscious effort to be part of it"

Btw, I'm a Christian.

5 Likes

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:41pm On Oct 31, 2012
I am an adherent to my religion because i am born into it and it is a part of my body, my culture and my way of life and that of my people, for millenia. the spirituality of my tribe is ingrained in my blood.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Techwriter: 3:03am On Nov 01, 2012
If it is how I became a Christian as a religion, I would say I was born into it. Almost everyone in Nigeria was born into one religion or another. This is the reason you need a second birth, what we call born again. I had to become born again to be qualified for the kingdom. Christianity as a religion is no better than Islam except that it has better values. If any of them die without a second birth he/she has the same destination.

But being born again is a different experience all together. I have always tried to educate Nairalanders that Christianity in its true essence is not a religion. Religion is man looking for God while Christianity is God reaching out to man. If you say someone left Christianity to join Islam, the the person was not born again in the first place; he simply left one religion to join another.

I am born again that's how I became a son of God not a religious christian. NB: not everyone that claims to be "born again" is because even these words are abused in recent times. We are quick to conclude every pentecostal is born again. Not true!!! Even some talk of a "born again" muslim.

13 Likes

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by CrazyMan(m): 6:29am On Nov 01, 2012
Was born into a christian/traditional home...I choose christianity over traditional believes because I felt more comfortable whenever I'm in God's presence.

And I'm glad I did...I serve God not because I'm compelled to do so, or because I want a miracle or blessing...I serve him because I believe he delights pleasure in my worship...

5 Likes

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Nobody: 6:38am On Nov 01, 2012
CrazyMan: Was born into a christian/traditional home...I choose christianity over traditional believes because I felt more comfortable whenever I'm in God's presence.

And I'm glad I did...I serve God not because I'm compelled to do so, or because I want a miracle or blessing...I serve him because I believe he delights pleasure in my worship...
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by benodic: 9:26am On Nov 01, 2012
I was born a christian and grew up in a strong christian home with a mother who was a reverend minister with her own church.
I had past life recalls as a child which i confirmed for myself that they were real. The church on the other was preaching that there is no reincarnation while i knew for a fact that i have lived before.

I found ECKANKAR, The Religion of the Light and Sound of God on my own and for the first time in my life i saw a Religion that teaches that i am soul and that i exist because of God's love for me and that i have lived several lives all for the need to acquire spiritual maturity in order to become a co-worker with God and also gave spiritual exercises to prove these truths for myself.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Afam4eva(m): 9:33am On Nov 01, 2012
benodic: I was born a christian and grew up in a strong christian home with a mother who was a reverend minister with her own church.
I had past life recalls as a child which i confirmed for myself that they were real. The church on the other was preaching that there is no reincarnation while i knew for a fact that i have lived before.

I found ECKANKAR, The Religion of the Light and Sound of God on my own and for the first time in my life i saw a Religion that teaches that i am soul and that i exist because of God's love for me and that i have lived several lives all for the need to acquire spiritual maturity in order to become a co-worker with God and also gave spiritual exercises to prove these truths for myself.
Do you also know that there are also people who converted from Eckankar to Christianity and feel the same way you do.

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:38am On Nov 01, 2012
90% are who they are religously by reason of birth...

And they remain so because you cant teach an old dog new tricks.. Remember its easier to train a child than to repair a man..

5 Likes

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Afam4eva(m): 10:10am On Nov 01, 2012
I've noticed that majority of people who change religions or become atheists or agnostic are usually open minded people.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Okijajuju1(m): 10:15am On Nov 01, 2012
afam4eva: I've noticed that majority of people who change religions or become atheists or agnostic are usually open minded people.

And thats just the truth for you!!

I have always said I have alot of respect for anyone who I know changed from one religion to another.. Especially at a mature age..

1 Like

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by fittty(m): 11:03am On Nov 01, 2012
Became a christian after I realised the the true God

1 Like

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by highlandre(m): 11:06am On Nov 01, 2012
Most of us are christians and muslims because we were born into such practicing homes. I wonder why we fight for superiority over the two religions?

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by ektbear: 11:13am On Nov 01, 2012
born into Christianity

1 Like

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by UjSizzle(f): 11:18am On Nov 01, 2012
I was born and bred in a christian home, but that didn't stop me from living my life the way i deemed fit(be it good or bad), it didn't make me one. I finally made a conscious effort to get closer to God, repented, accepted Jesus and became born again- that was when i became a christian.

4 Likes

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by BetaThings: 11:18am On Nov 01, 2012
Techwriter: If it is how I became a Christian, I would say I was born into it. Almost everyone in Nigeria was born into one religion or another. This is the reason you need a second birth, what we call born again. I had to become born again to be qualified for the kingdom. Christianity as a religion is no better than Islam except that it has better values. But being born again is a different experience all together. I have always tried to educate Nairalanders that Christianity in its true essence is not a religion. Religion is man looking for God while Christianity is God reaching out to man

I am born again that's how I became a son of God not a religious christian
Tell us these better values. We can discuss without polemics
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by SafiyaAliyu: 11:20am On Nov 01, 2012
Am a muslim cos i was born into a muslim family and i feel it's the best.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Afam4eva(m): 11:21am On Nov 01, 2012
Safiya Aliyu: Am a muslim cos i was born into a muslim family and i feel it's the best.
You're a muslim because you were born there and not necessarily because it's best. if you were born a Christian you would have said the same thing about Christianity.

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Nobody: 11:24am On Nov 01, 2012
I became a Christian by birth.When i grew old enough to make my choices,i still chose Christianity.Because its more than a religion.Its a lifestyle.I am happy my parents brought me up in the way of the Lord...Jesus is Lord!!! smiley smiley

4 Likes

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Afam4eva(m): 11:26am On Nov 01, 2012
binger: I became a Christian by birth.When i grew old enough to make my choices,i still chose Christianity.Because its more than a religion.Its a lifestyle.I am happy my parents brought me up in the way of the Lord...Jesus is Lord!!! smiley smiley
Don't you think you chose Christianity because you were already a Christian? Did you try Islam or Budhism?
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by mallorca(m): 11:28am On Nov 01, 2012
CrazyMan: Was born into a christian/traditional home...I choose christianity over traditional believes because I felt more comfortable whenever I'm in God's presence.

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:28am On Nov 01, 2012
Christian by birth, right now I nor even know which one I be again undecided undecided undecided undecided

I wan try grail message next, I hear say people wey dey go that chiursh dey hammer money well well grin grin

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by ashson: 11:34am On Nov 01, 2012
ISLAM is my religion. i have found islam to be the real and only religion that comes from God. come to think of it, islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. million of people in america and europe were not born muslims, due to research and quest for the truth, they end up converting to muslims, with the fact that islam is being painted as the religion of conflicts and killings which is all setup just to discourage people to do more research about islam thereby ending up as muslims. ISLAM is simply a way of life, everything about how to live this life had been planned for you since before you were born.

15 Likes

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Rooneyboy(m): 11:38am On Nov 01, 2012
fittty: Became a christian after I realised the the true God

which religion were u practicing b4 ?
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Decapo: 11:40am On Nov 01, 2012
I became a xtian by birth
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:40am On Nov 01, 2012
Rooneyboy:

which religion were u practicing b4 ?

[color=#y099w0]Yeah!! Make ehn answer... [/color]
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by elliottibanga(m): 11:40am On Nov 01, 2012
afam4eva: I've noticed that majority of people who change religions or become atheists or agnostic are usually open minded people.

That's because most open minded people prefer to think/ reason rationally. And if anyone objectively thinks about the facts of any religion (without the handicap of faith), the flaws that will be found are so significant that a secular path is inevitable.

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by salam001(m): 11:40am On Nov 01, 2012
Born a christian,still a christian,i don't believe God is worshipped in one particular religion,ALLAH = GOD = gods
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Afam4eva(m): 11:41am On Nov 01, 2012
elliottibanga:

That's because most open minded people prefer to think/ reason rationally. And if anyone objectively thinks about the facts of any religion (without the handicap of faith), the flaws that will be found are so significant that a secular path is inevitable.

You have point. Have you noticed how most replies have devoid of rationality.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by pecopeco: 11:42am On Nov 01, 2012
afam4eva: Ethnicity is something that ones is born with and not something that you learn or become but religion on the other hand is something that you became or was probably passed down to you but it has not always been like that.

Whenever I see people from different religions arguing over who is right, i wonder, are these people fighting for the religion they belong to because they found themselves there.

As a Christian, i wonder what i would have been if i was born a Muslim or a Budhist. I'll probably be proclaiming that Allah is the best thing to happen to the world. If some Muslims were born Christians, they would have been preaching Jesus to whoever cares to listen.

Now, are you a Christian/Catholic or Muslim because your parents were one and you were probably born one? I guess majority of the answers will be in the affirmative. Only few people actually get to convert to another religion. You see some Christians saying that Christianity is the way thereby citing how Alhaja A converted to become a Pastor.

I'm sure Moslems also have a story of how a hardcore Pastor became an Imam. I remember i asked one Christian why he thinks Christianity is the way and he said "You'll know once you feel the Holy-spirit".

I want to imagine Moslems are still Moslems because they're also feeling something similar to the Holy spirit in their religion. If they were not benefiting anything they would have left, right?

You'll also see someone telling you that God provided the house, cars and everything that he has attained in life. Now, Atheists and people from every religion also have these things. T

here are also poor people from every religion. It now brings me back to the question "Are you part of your Region because you were born into it or because you made a conscious effort to be part of it"

Btw, I'm a Christian.
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by pecopeco: 11:42am On Nov 01, 2012
good
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by Pamperme: 11:43am On Nov 01, 2012
Was born into it...
Re: How Did You Become A Christian Or Muslim? by noblegas2(m): 11:44am On Nov 01, 2012
Lol ..... What religion would expect from the son of an Alhaji and Alhaja to practise?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Testimony, My Survival (Graphic Images) / MFM PMCH May 2022 Prayer Points / How Do You Intend To Spend Your Cross Over Night?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.