Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,725 members, 7,816,979 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? (10975 Views)

Is It Compulsory To Remove Your Shoes Before Going Into Someone's House? / Remove Your Footwear!! / Do You Off Your Sandals When Entering Someon Elses House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by ignis: 11:31am On Nov 01, 2012
Actually, it depend on weather the floor is tiled, carpet or rug. If it's carpet or bare floor, how do you expect me to remove my shoes?

1 Like

Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by albacete(m): 11:32am On Nov 01, 2012

If u dey visit ur friend wey dey stay for FMIFU (Face Me I Face U) or for any kpako place,
no try remove ur shoes oo. Even if the floor na white rug. To avoid stories that touch.

Make person no come here dey complain say im friend's neighbor don shift im bugatti shoe lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Nobody: 11:32am On Nov 01, 2012
I said this in another thread but it got locked. Lol

In my household and culture...(Jamaican - I think that the large influx of Asians to the Caribbean is the root to this practice there but yeah anyway..)

...it is a sign of respect. It's kind of like a way to show that you come in peace so to speak. Like that "mi casa es tu casa" (my house is your house) mentality. Taking off your shoes is house) mentality.

Taking off your shoes is another way of humbling yourself and acknowledging your host's home as sacred. I like the idea tbh and will continue to practice this.

Every guest must take 'em off cool
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:32am On Nov 01, 2012
afam4eva:
When did Africans start wearing shoes that it has now become part of African culture.

Good question..

I dont think these niggas would be taking off their shoes when ever they come visiting..

1 Like

Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by noblegas2(m): 11:35am On Nov 01, 2012
Well, as a Muslim, I remove my shoes, knock and wait for someone to ask me to come in before entering int someone else's house.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by chucky234(m): 11:37am On Nov 01, 2012
savanto: I personally will not attribute the removing of footwear at the door post as an African tradition, however, it is due to the fact that we have soil all around us and during the rainy seasons your shoes carry a lot of mud around. In some developed countries, you do not easily find sand anyhow as most streets/highways/walkways are tarred. You can cover many miles on foot without your shoes picking any sand be it rainy season or dry season.

I make it a point of duty to remove my shoes before entering into another man's house. I also do it in mine, but I do not expect visitors to do same because it is sheer waste of time especially to unlace some shoes which could be stressful. I usually encourage them to enter with their shoes...after all, i sweep daily. It all depends on two factors - your choice as a visitor and that of your host. Either way, there has to be a kind of swift agreement at this juncture. The communication can go this way:-

Guest knocks on the door:

Host answers and opens the doors:

Host: Please come in Mr. John!

Guest: Makes an effort to remove his shoes:

Host: No! no! no!, i insist that you come in with your shoes:

Guest: Don't worry Mr. Alabi.. I'm used to removing my shoes:

Host: Screams. I say come in as you are!

Guest: If you insist.

Host: Yes, i insist!

That means that the Host has won. There is an agreement there. None of them will be angry afterwards. But if you barge in with your shoes, you could face the risk of being highly embarrassed because some host don't know how to address people in a polite and polished manner.

That is just my 2cents.

Guy from your post e be like you don trek wella before ooo,your analyze na from first hand experience.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by dozern(m): 11:43am On Nov 01, 2012
its wrong to remove shoes while entering sm1 house. There is nothing like sign of respect there since no 1 removes shoe b4 entering church where God lives.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Pamperme: 11:45am On Nov 01, 2012
When i see shoes outside, then i remove mine but if the host insists that i wear it, i will gladly enter with my shoes on grin

But i always make attempt to....
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by savanto: 11:45am On Nov 01, 2012
chucky234(m): 11:37am

savanto: I personally will not attribute the removing of footwear at the door post as an African tradition, however, it is due to the fact that we have soil all around us and during the rainy seasons your shoes carry a lot of mud around. In some developed countries, you do not easily find sand anyhow as most streets/highways/walkways are tarred. You can cover many miles on foot without your shoes picking any sand be it rainy season or dry season.

I make it a point of duty to remove my shoes before entering into another man's house. I also do it in mine, but I do not expect visitors to do same because it is sheer waste of time especially to unlace some shoes which could be stressful. I usually encourage them to enter with their shoes...after all, i sweep daily. It all depends on two factors - your choice as a visitor and that of your host. Either way, there has to be a kind of swift agreement at this juncture. The communication can go this way:-

Guest knocks on the door:

Host answers and opens the doors:

Host: Please come in Mr. John!

Guest: Makes an effort to remove his shoes:

Host: No! no! no!, i insist that you come in with your shoes:

Guest: Don't worry Mr. Alabi.. I'm used to removing my shoes:

Host: Screams. I say come in as you are!

Guest: If you insist.

Host: Yes, i insist!

That means that the Host has won. There is an agreement there. None of them will be angry afterwards. But if you barge in with your shoes, you could face the risk of being highly embarrassed because some host don't know how to address people in a polite and polished manner.

That is just my 2cents.

Guy from your post e be like you don trek wella before ooo,your analyze na from first hand experience.

@chucky234(m)

I have seen the two sides of the coin. Most of us here had days of little beginnings which we must not despise. undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by mallorca(m): 11:46am On Nov 01, 2012
Dopefiend: Omo for dis naija wey we dey? U go remove dat shoe or my dog remove am for u. So its ur choice grin grin grin
Lmao
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by megxo(m): 11:48am On Nov 01, 2012
I'LL REMOVE MA SHOE BEFORE ENTERIN UR HOUSE, N I EXPECT U 2 DO DESAME B4 ENTERIN MA HOUSE
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by abdulkayus(m): 11:51am On Nov 01, 2012
Hmmmm, actually in d North where i grew up and d kind of upbringin i got frm home and as a muslim in which i c as a islamic culture(although am nt sure), its always gud to remove ur shoes b4 u enter some1 house esp a muslim, reason given is dat some use their sittin room as prayin room. And islamically a prayin place shld be devoid of dirts and impurities.
Bt maybe dis can be due to environment situation of d north where there is always open gutters and dirts everywhere cos in saudi, qatar, some middle east countries, USA and and europe, hardly u will find open gutters, dirts and filths everywhere talkess of matchin dirts, so dey dont usually take off their shoes(to my own thinkin). In this countries, u can walk several miles on a tarred or tiled road.

To my conclusion it depend on d environment.

CIAO
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Dopefiend(m): 11:51am On Nov 01, 2012
dozern: its wrong to remove shoes while entering sm1 house. There is nothing like sign of respect there since no 1 removes shoe b4 entering church where God lives.

God lives in church(es)
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by 9jalondon: 11:56am On Nov 01, 2012
I politely ask my visitors to feel comfortable,take off your shoes as have got toddlers in d house some silly individual take it offensive,ideally it makes ur house to be gem free to an extent
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by stacomaster(m): 12:02pm On Nov 01, 2012
Ah dnt Enta cos is a Siqn Of Respect
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Cutex01(m): 12:06pm On Nov 01, 2012
On a pers0nal principle, i'll never enter anybody's h0use with my shoes 0n, similarily i w0nt tolerate anybody entering my house without removing his/her shoe infact i detest it.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Dopefiend(m): 12:12pm On Nov 01, 2012
greatgod2012: I dont really like walking around bare-footed, i detest it, its one of d things im addicted to, what i do whenver i want to enter someone else's house is dt i will remove my shoe at d entrance and pick it up immediately with my hand, when i enter and sit down, i put it on back.
U may call me a bushgirl, i dont mind, i just make sure i m with my shoe always.

Bushgirl grin grin grin
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by engrchux: 12:20pm On Nov 01, 2012
philip stanley: I DO REMOVE MY SHOE, IT'S A PART OF AFRICAN CULTURE

Like seriously?! Culture is dynamic & not static. Beats me how we strive to keep our culture forgetting the western world also had some cultures they made do with. If everyone keeps their cultures, we would still be in the stone ages.
As 4 me, I don't off my shoes, & if my host insists I'd tell them 2 come out let's do the talking outside. Anyway na poverty dey cause all dis kind tin
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Nobody: 12:30pm On Nov 01, 2012
Heck no, unless my shoes are very dirty.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by JallowBah(f): 12:33pm On Nov 01, 2012
After going to Gambia, I understood why my husband wanted to clean the damn floors every day. They walk in with shoes on, everywhere. Same in Spain, in gambian peoples house. And Gambia is Muslim, and have tiles or just stomped ground with mats on in the houses.

In Scandinavia, it is RUDE to go in with your shoes on. Everytime gambian people come over, I tell them to take their shoes ofwink
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Elebiju: 12:55pm On Nov 01, 2012
Why do we always bask in shame,we are always proud of adopting western cultures even more than d westerners themselves,india is more civilised than Nigeria yet Indians never abandoned their culture or language for anything or were they not colonised by d same British master?they never adopted d English language in place of their indigenous languages instead they made it part of d 11 official languages with Hindu as d first,an Indian will never enter ur house with shoes on and they may even sit down on the floor they pay respect and pray for the host before entering a house while we hide under western civilisation with different threads abt how worse Nigerians are in English language and more,I'm even ashamed I can't type my language correctly
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by mopa001: 12:59pm On Nov 01, 2012
Well as 4 me i fink is a fin of undstng,Most people regards dia houses alot cos it myt hv taken dem alot of tyme to clean dem as such dose kind of persons might nt likely find it funny seeing u entering in to dia houses wit ur foot wears.But anoda question is dis,Do u wia ur shoes in to ur worship houses(MOSQUES or d CHURCHES)as 4 me i say NO coz i've 2 off my foot wears b4 entering in 2 my place of worship as kind off honour 2 my BABA GOD. as such i myt nt do same 2 my fellow MAN.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by k2039: 1:00pm On Nov 01, 2012
greatgod2012: I dont really like walking around bare-footed, i detest it, its one of d things im addicted to, what i do whenver i want to enter someone else's house is dt i will remove my shoe at d entrance and pick it up immediately with my hand, when i enter and sit down, i put it on back.
U may call me a bushgirl, i dont mind, i just make sure i m with my shoe always.

To avoid the shoe being kidnapped,lol.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Nov 01, 2012
I'd rather ask the host if its OK to come in with shoes on
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Ariyke: 1:25pm On Nov 01, 2012
if the owner of the haux off his/her own shoe i definately will OR on my way in i see theirs i definately will cus av got to respect their rule, i can do whatever i like with my own place
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by savcy(m): 1:36pm On Nov 01, 2012
If we were in an advanced country were 'u can cover miles and not pickup a grain of sand wit ur shoes',I'd allow som1 enter wit shoes on.
But here in naija were 'poto-poto' dey er'were? U go remove d shoes 4 ground b4 u even step on my pavement.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Nov 01, 2012
Elebiju: Why do we always bask in shame,we are always proud of adopting western cultures even more than d westerners themselves,india is more civilised than Nigeria yet Indians never abandoned their culture or language for anything or were they not colonised by d same British master?they never adopted d English language in place of their indigenous languages instead they made it part of d 11 official languages with Hindu as d first,an Indian will never enter ur house with shoes on and they may even sit down on the floor they pay respect and pray for the host before entering a house while we hide under western civilisation with different threads abt how worse Nigerians are in English language and more,I'm even ashamed I can't type my language correctly

...breath in...out...in...out,here's a glass of cold water,it will help cheesy
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by cdamsel(f): 1:51pm On Nov 01, 2012
Culture or no culture,its so annoying wen I ve 2 clean up after some1,9jerian roads re sandy so wen u enter wit ur shoe u come in wit d sand,my house is tiled & I hate stepping on sand in my house,unless u re ready 2 clean up after urself leave ur damn shoe outside angry
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Xano(m): 1:55pm On Nov 01, 2012
in my house, any visitor/family friend is expected to remove the footwear to enter. If the person is not aware, i will inform the person to do so.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by JallowBah(f): 2:06pm On Nov 01, 2012
savcy: If we were in an advanced country were 'u can cover miles and not pickup a grain of sand wit ur shoes',I'd allow som1 enter wit shoes on.
But here in naija were 'poto-poto' dey er'were? U go remove d shoes 4 ground b4 u even step on my pavement.

Just because its pavement, does not make it clean.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by TableLeg(m): 2:14pm On Nov 01, 2012
If i like
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Sunbellar: 2:38pm On Nov 01, 2012
Incase they steal it, abi?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? / Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa / Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.