Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,704 members, 7,816,878 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:16 PM

Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? (10973 Views)

Is It Compulsory To Remove Your Shoes Before Going Into Someone's House? / Remove Your Footwear!! / Do You Off Your Sandals When Entering Someon Elses House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Elebiju: 2:55pm On Nov 01, 2012
Step2002:

...breath in...out...in...out,here's a glass of cold water,it will help cheesy
thanks jawe
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Nov 01, 2012
If the house I'm visiting has cream / white or any other light-coloured carpet, of course I'll remove my shoes. If it's tiled, marble or polished wood, I'd still remove my shoes, if it's a wet, rainy day, and the soles of my shoes / boots are likely to leave stains. It's impolite to walk your muddy / wet shoes onto your host's floor. If you decide to come into my lounge with dirty shoes, I'd probably not say anything out of politeness. But my expression would definitely convey my displeasure. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

So it's all about common sense, and respect for your host. One of the reasons why it's always good to have clean socks and feet. Some folk fail to take off their filthy footware, despite their host's home having an immaculate carpet or rug, not because they're ignorant, but because removing their shoes will release an unholy stench of unwashed, cheesy feet. And reveal filthy socks, so ingrained and stiff with dirt, they could probably walk across the lounge on their own. They know it, and they're embarrassed. Urrrrgh! embarassed
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Nov 01, 2012
I always find it difficult to take off my shoe b4 entering someone else's house and even my house ! *
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Nov 01, 2012
phemiteb1: I always find it difficult to take off my shoe b4 entering someone else's house and even my house ! *

How about if you've walked up a muddy path to get to your host's front door, and his carpet is white? Forget about wiping your muddy boots on the footmat, which after the down pour, is soaking wet too, and won't do any good.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by chyket(m): 3:58pm On Nov 01, 2012
No but I will ensure I clean my legs properly on the footmat before entering.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by vitality22(m): 4:04pm On Nov 01, 2012
acidtalk: You dare not enter my house with your shoes on. If you like put on a $3,000 mauri shoe and drive a bugatti.

If you can't pull off your shoe then I am sorry you can't enter my house.
Thank you. Infact immediately after the front protector in my house what you will see next is "WELCOME AND THANK YOU FOR REMOVING YOUR SHOES"
My floor is polished every weekend, its either you remove your shoes or you go back to where you are coming from. PERIOD
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by anintia(m): 4:10pm On Nov 01, 2012
All these boring questions sef
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by chucky234(m): 4:11pm On Nov 01, 2012
savanto: chucky234(m): 11:37am

savanto: I personally will not attribute the removing of footwear at the door post as an African tradition, however, it is due to the fact that we have soil all around us and during the rainy seasons your shoes carry a lot of mud around. In some developed countries, you do not easily find sand anyhow as most streets/highways/walkways are tarred. You can cover many miles on foot without your shoes picking any sand be it rainy season or dry season.

I make it a point of duty to remove my shoes before entering into another man's house. I also do it in mine, but I do not expect visitors to do same because it is sheer waste of time especially to unlace some shoes which could be stressful. I usually encourage them to enter with their shoes...after all, i sweep daily. It all depends on two factors - your choice as a visitor and that of your host. Either way, there has to be a kind of swift agreement at this juncture. The communication can go this way:-

Guest knocks on the door:

Host answers and opens the doors:

Host: Please come in Mr. John!

Guest: Makes an effort to remove his shoes:

Host: No! no! no!, i insist that you come in with your shoes:

Guest: Don't worry Mr. Alabi.. I'm used to removing my shoes:

Host: Screams. I say come in as you are!

Guest: If you insist.

Host: Yes, i insist!

That means that the Host has won. There is an agreement there. None of them will be angry afterwards. But if you barge in with your shoes, you could face the risk of being highly embarrassed because some host don't know how to address people in a polite and polished manner.

That is just my 2cents.

Guy from your post e be like you don trek wella before ooo,your analyze na from first hand experience.

@chucky234(m)

I have seen the two sides of the coin. Most of us here had days of little beginnings which we must not despise. undecided undecided undecided
Cool got your point
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by achukwunet(f): 4:23pm On Nov 01, 2012
its tradition. removing you shoes before entering someones house is a display of resspect

1 Like

Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Nov 01, 2012
chyket: No but I will ensure I clean my legs properly on the footmat before entering.

Assuming the footmat is rain-soaked, your boots are dirty and wet, and your host has a mint wite carpet / rug. What would you do - I mean, what's the big deal removing your dirty shoes?
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by jaymdee(m): 6:02pm On Nov 01, 2012
Okija_juju:

I beg to differ o!!

Its a sign of my shoes are sandy/dirty so I will leave them at the door..

However, whats the guarantee that your floor is cleaner anyways?! I think that habit started when people shoes started ripping up linoluem carpets and dirtying rugs..

Ask for me o!! I dont do that.. Except their is a clear sign at the door that says so.. Like at the shrine..
Your shrine
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by DECOtech(m): 6:43pm On Nov 01, 2012
k2039: I cant remember the last time my feet touched the ground,I don't walk bare footed,so I don't off my sandals when I'm entering into someones house and I don't expect them to off their's when they entering into mine
Its my house, so you should leave it the way you see it. If I don't use foot wears in my house, no visitor will. I will out rightly tell you to take your shoes off.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:06pm On Nov 01, 2012
jaymdee:
Your shrine

he is a follower of Igbo Religion, Odinani. his shrine is Okija.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:07pm On Nov 01, 2012
shoes are unlean and contain dirt and done smell good. therefore they must not be brought anywhere, be it home, or shrine.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Ezegozie(m): 7:59pm On Nov 01, 2012
k2039: I cant remember the last time my feet touched the ground,I dont walk bare footed,so I dont off my sandals when I'm entering into someones house and I dont expect them to off their's when they entering into mine

can you hear yourself? You cant remember the last time your feet touched ground! who are you? Queen Elizabeth? I gues you also sleep with your sandal

Just pray you do not enter my room with your dirty foothwear, because i will embarrass you by telling you. "PLS GO AND REMOVE YOUR SHOES"

Decent and educated people don't wait to be told to remove their foothwears before entering someone's room, especially if its neatly decoreted with rugs.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by k2039: 8:54pm On Nov 01, 2012
DECOtech:
Its my house, so you should leave it the way you see it. If I don't use foot wears in my house, no visitor will. I will out rightly tell you to take your shoes off.

Ezegozie:

can you hear yourself? You cant remember the last time your feet touched ground! who are you? Queen Elizabeth? I gues you also sleep with your sandal

Just pray you do not enter my room with your dirty foothwear, because i will embarrass you by telling you. "PLS GO AND REMOVE YOUR SHOES"

Decent and educated people don't wait to be told to remove their foothwears before entering someone's room, especially if its neatly decoreted with rugs.

*sighs*
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Abbey2sam(m): 10:07pm On Nov 01, 2012
I fink it depends on the floor, if i use rug you have to remove ur shoe,but tiles, you can walk in
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by SimplYeahmee(m): 2:50am On Nov 02, 2012
noble_gas1: Well, as a Muslim, I remove my shoes, knock and wait for someone to ask me to come in before entering int someone else's house.

you mean you actually remove your shoe 1st b4 u knock? wat if d person isnt home nko?
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by SimplYeahmee(m): 3:03am On Nov 02, 2012
savcy: If we were in an advanced country were 'u can cover miles and not pickup a grain of sand wit ur shoes',I'd allow som1 enter wit shoes on.
But here in naija were 'poto-poto' dey er'were? U go remove d shoes 4 ground b4 u even step on my pavement.

ki lo wa de. is ur pavement gold plated?
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by SimplYeahmee(m): 3:16am On Nov 02, 2012
it depends: 1. if my shoe is laced up, i wont bother removing it, bt if its one i can easily slip on nd off den sure enof i'll remove it.
2. if my host has rug in d house, i'll remove it, bt tiles or any oda floor i'm kiping it on.
3. if my host wears slippers around his/her house, nofin stops me, in wit my shoe i go.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by oyestephen(m): 10:32am On Nov 02, 2012
greatgod2012: I dont really like walking around bare-footed, i detest it, its one of d things im addicted to, what i do whenver i want to enter someone else's house is dt i will remove my shoe at d entrance and pick it up immediately with my hand, when i enter and sit down, i put it on back.
U may call me a bushgirl, i dont mind, i just make sure i m with my shoe always.
Why do you do so ? Any special reason why your shoes must be with you at all times ??
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Nobody: 12:35am On Nov 03, 2012
greatgod2012: I dont really like walking around bare-footed, i detest it, its one of d things im addicted to, what i do whenver i want to enter someone else's house is dt i will remove my shoe at d entrance and pick it up immediately with my hand, when i enter and sit down, i put it on back.
U may call me a bushgirl, i dont mind, i just make sure i m with my shoe always.

What you've posted makes no sense - at least none that I can see. You'll take your shoes off at the door, walk to the lounge, sit down then put your shoes back on again. What's the essence of taking them off in the first place??

I don't get it.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Nobody: 12:44am On Nov 03, 2012
Common sense should apply here. Light coloured flooring demands that you take your shoes off.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by ignis: 5:19pm On Nov 04, 2012
noble_gas1: Well, as a Muslim, I remove my shoes, knock and wait for someone to ask me to come in before entering int someone else's house.
Who ask you if you are a muslim? OVER SABI SABI.
Re: Do You Remove Your Shoes When Entering Someone Else's House? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jul 30, 2017
chucky234:
Guy from your post e be like you don trek wella before ooo,your analyze na from first hand experience.
y
Fantastically explained! No arguments.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Are 70% of African-Americans of Nigerian Origin? / Igbos The Most Successful Ethnic Nationality In Africa / Eyo Festival 2011. Calling All Happy Lagosians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.