Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,557 members, 7,820,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:25 AM

Did Jesus Ever Prayed In Tongues? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jesus Ever Prayed In Tongues? (1580 Views)

What If The Early Church Had Prayed That Saul Should Die? / Was Jesus Ever Sick? (Oyedepo's Blunder) / Some Wrong Prayers Often Prayed In Church. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Jesus Ever Prayed In Tongues? by pastormustwacc: 10:28am On Nov 01, 2012
I have my reasons for asking this question. Oya, where are the tongue-twisting christians on the board?

Pulpit: Well, anyone that wishes to speak should mount the pulpit and start talking.
High table: the tithe and anti-tithe christian-believers are welcomed to the high table.
Catholics: might stand outside - i have never seen a catholic pray in tongues (not sure they believe in it).
Guests: Atheists, Pagans and all other religions are invited to watch from the sidelines.
Devil and his gang: I know you dont understand us when we pray in tongues (thunder fire your heads in Jesus name).
Re: Did Jesus Ever Prayed In Tongues? by italo: 10:57am On Nov 01, 2012
This movie go tough well well.
Re: Did Jesus Ever Prayed In Tongues? by pastormustwacc: 11:06am On Nov 01, 2012
Hmn, i am always the controversial christian anyway - so i wont be surprised.
Re: Did Jesus Ever Prayed In Tongues? by UjSizzle(f): 11:09am On Nov 01, 2012
Why don't you start off Pastor?
Re: Did Jesus Ever Prayed In Tongues? by pastormustwacc: 11:23am On Nov 01, 2012
This is an interactive session, i want people to share their opinion on this. I dont have a monopoly of all the knowlege.
Re: Did Jesus Ever Prayed In Tongues? by mrmayor(m): 11:52am On Nov 01, 2012
pastormustwacc: I have my reasons for asking this question. Oya, where are the tongue-twisting christians on the board?

Pulpit: Well, anyone that wishes to speak should mount the pulpit and start talking.
High table: the tithe and anti-tithe christian-believers are welcomed to the high table.
Catholics: might stand outside - i have never seen a catholic pray in tongues (not sure they believe in it).
Guests: Atheists, Pagans and all other religions are invited to watch from the sidelines.
Devil and his gang: I know you dont understand us when we pray in tongues (thunder fire your heads in Jesus name).

Haba, now now! I thought abi na read you saying you won't curse/judge again all who do not share your view? Atheist,Skeptics and all non believers are considered Children of the Devil himself and you start up this thread by curses, Pastor-Must-Wacc(k) na wah o, btw I love your handle
Re: Did Jesus Ever Prayed In Tongues? by Todaynatoday: 11:54am On Nov 01, 2012
@pastormustwacc
could you be so kind as to put me through on what speaking in tongues actually entails.
Is it something that can be learned?
Are you aware of everything going on around you while speaking in tongues?
Do you have to be "possessed" by the Holy Spirit first or do you just speak anything that comes to mind?
Is speaking in tongues the only sign to show that the Holy Spirit is in you or are there other signs?
Must someone first be baptised by water immersion (after repentance) before the Holy Spirit can dwell in such a person?

Please, I truly need to know this since I'm still a "baby" in the word.

2 Likes

Re: Did Jesus Ever Prayed In Tongues? by pastormustwacc: 12:27pm On Nov 01, 2012
Please read my thread on The 9 Supernatural Gifts Of The Holy Spirit
It addresses speaking in tongues.

Of course, people can learn the pirated speaking in tongues, and pretend to be doing so. But i am not here to condemn. There are 9 gifts of the holy spirit, and many more - not limited to that 9 - because the power of God is not limited in any way.
Re: Did Jesus Ever Prayed In Tongues? by pastormustwacc: 12:31pm On Nov 01, 2012
Oh, i forgot, a believer is not possessed by the holy spirit. The body is a template of the holy spirit. This means the holy spirit is living inside the body of a believer. But this is different from demonic possesion - i have experienced both at different times of my life, and i can tell you they are very different entirely.

But let us not distract this thread, oya, where them pastors make them come enlighten us on the topic.
Re: Did Jesus Ever Prayed In Tongues? by k2039: 12:45pm On Nov 01, 2012
There's no Biblical evidence for it.

But I have a feeling he did since He said it that it was part of the signs of the believers(anywway I'm not sure,just an assumption and I could be wrong)

Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow
them that believe; In my name shall they
cast out devils; they shall speak with new
tongues;
Re: Did Jesus Ever Prayed In Tongues? by pastormustwacc: 1:01pm On Nov 01, 2012
But those signs came after Jesus was glorified by the Father. In short on pentecost day.

Luke 24:49
I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.
Meanwhile, this same set of people could cast out demons in the name of Jesus, dont forget. But they still needed more power.

Acts 2:1
When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place.
Before then, we never heard of Jesus or anyone speaking in tongues.

John 14:12
I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.

This to me means that after he went to the father, he was glorified and was able to send the holy spirit to us (after his ascension).
Otherwise, he would have just laid hands on the apostles and they will have received the holy spirit before he left??
Re: Did Jesus Ever Prayed In Tongues? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Nov 01, 2012
We really need to define what we mean by speaking in tongues.Speaking in tongues is one of the most grossly misunderstood concepts in christendom.
Speaking in tongues is quite differant from the gift of tongues.

The gift of tongues is used to describe what happened on pentecost day.It is very rare today and only very few repetitions have been noted in history.
In this case a person speaking is understood by the listener in his/her own native dialect.for instance the spirit of God comes upon me when I am supoosedly preaching in english but to a yoruba man present will hear me speaking yoruba and not english.Ditto for an igbo,hausa or anyother tribe present.

This phenomenom was reportedly observed in the fifteenth century in the life of st vincent ferrer.It was also observed in the life of st Alphonsus liguori.It is rare to hear people experience this and I am yet to read of any such occurrence in the last 100 years.

The gift of speaking in tongues is what is described in 1 cor 14 and this particular experience is common in pentecostal and charismatic fellowips(including the catholic charismatic renewal movement ).Here people speak in strange tongues said to be tongues of angels but the hearer don't always understand unless it is interpreted.The principles governing this practise was clearly outlined in in 1 cor 14:26-40.Summarizing not more than three can speak in tongues at a time and if they must speak they must be an interpreter.

Unfortunately these guidelines have been discarded in our modern pentecostal churches
Re: Did Jesus Ever Prayed In Tongues? by italo: 4:28pm On Nov 01, 2012
@ Chukwudi44,

I dey for your back.
Re: Did Jesus Ever Prayed In Tongues? by pastormustwac: 4:32pm On Nov 01, 2012
Please let us not bash any church here. This thread is clearly not about churches or satan or good or evil. It is very clear:
Did Jesus ever pray in tongues? If you say yes, give us evidence. The answer remains No as far as i know.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Crucified To The Religious World / If God Exists, Which One Is He? / Individual Madness Of Nigerian Churches: The Christ Embassy Analysis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.