Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,075 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

Yoruba's; Originated From The East, Is This True. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba's; Originated From The East, Is This True. (3996 Views)

Most Cubans Originated From Yorubaland – Ambassador / Ndigbo Originated From Egypt, Jacob’s Son Is The Father Of Nri – Monarch / Myth or Reality: Yoruba is closer to the Edos culturally than the East is. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba's; Originated From The East, Is This True. by ODUANEGRO: 12:06pm On Nov 06, 2012
I will not discourage reading and studies to better grasp meanings in the cultire. If reading dierk's helped your understanding then it is good.....the bottom line is a firm grasp and understanding.

On the naming of towns, there are also very good examples to show similarities.. Idappa or Addapa in Babylonian creation myth has the same place symbolism that we assign to Itapa festival in Ife.

I m still studying on some claim i heard that Orisala is the deity of Obatala who was instrumental in the creation of life. We know what Oba is but what is Atala?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba's; Originated From The East, Is This True. by ODUANEGRO: 12:09pm On Nov 06, 2012
On ila orangun..... i do not know beyond the fact that it was one of the seven original yoruba states created by Oduduwa.

The Eridu/Eredo writeup was actually Amor4ce contribution.
Re: Yoruba's; Originated From The East, Is This True. by ODUANEGRO: 12:23pm On Nov 06, 2012
Ive known that Atala was synonymous with body of water such as Atlantis, Atlantic, Atlas. It was a Canaanite word, their language was old Hebrew which I have sworn to is the ancient tongue of the Yorubas.

Well, Atala is different from just any body of water. Yoruba have words ....that functionally go beyond concept and give feeling to what is being defined. Odo is river, Osa is lagoon or.a lake, Agbami is sea, Okun is ocean.

So what is Atala?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba's; Originated From The East, Is This True. by TonySpike: 12:45pm On Nov 06, 2012
ODUA_NEGRO: Ive known that Atala was synonymous with body of water such as Atlantis, Atlantic, Atlas. It was a Canaanite word, their language was old Hebrew which I have sworn to is the ancient tongue of the Yorubas.

Well, Atala is different from just any body of water. Yoruba have words ....that functionally go beyond concept and give feeling to what is being defined. Odo is river, Osa is lagoon or.a lake, Agbami is sea, Okun is ocean.

So what is Atala?

I've read this Atala - Atlantis stuff on Nairaland before. From ancient history, Atlantis is reputed to have sunk into the ocean following a cataclysmic earthquake/volcanic eruption. Till date, there are still lots of scientific speculations as to its actual location, with the Plato's reference to it being one of the oldest known.

So back to the topic, if we agree to some extent that there was indeed some level of colonisation of the ancient occupiers of the Yorubaland by a potpourri of ancient Semites (and perhaps, Hamites). Is there a way we can pinpoint the exact timeline of these events? Definitely, their influence on religion, culture and language must have been widespread. How is this possible?
Re: Yoruba's; Originated From The East, Is This True. by ODUANEGRO: 6:01pm On Nov 06, 2012
Timeline can be drawn if the total narrative is re-erected. Timeline is storyline. If we get the story we can build the time. The story can be in form of oral history, arts, rituals, customs, tools, reign
....etc.

Atala is an archaic Yoruba term for deluge, a flood that wipes out civilization. Yoruba myth and cosmic reference include knowledge about Noah and Obatala. Obatala is a title of position.....for the one who holds the covenant of a deluge. That covenant includes creation and re-creation through the power of flooding. A covenant is an ase. Orisala is the ase of Obatala. The Canaanites were in posession of Orisala. The sanctum or temple they kept it in is what later grew to become the sacred city of Jerusalem. That sanctum has been destroyed and rebuilt many times through the ages.

Researchers all over the world are preoccupied with the search for a physical piece of Ark of the Covenant. They will not find it because they have the wrong concept of what the Ark is.
Re: Yoruba's; Originated From The East, Is This True. by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:16pm On Nov 06, 2012
Tony Spike:

Do you have to be this rude to make your point? I'm disappointed in you and to think that I've been following your posts with enthusiasm.

that is my style. i appreciate the fac that youve been following my posts but you must have also notice how i absolutely reject and detest any such fake stories pertaining to us African histories being connected with judaic stories and/or places and its eventual distortion and manipulation to further biblical claims. why cant Ile Ife be some similar place in China or North Korea or Siberia or SOuth Americca, etc.. why does everything always have to have these supposed biblical roots or from places such as BAbylon or judea, etc. ?? why are you fellows suffering from this slave mentality. let me tell you that those people dont give a damn about you Yorubas so stop trying to associate with them! angry angry angry angry angry angry
when the entrie world is talking about migration out of Africa, our bonded slave xtian Africans are talking about migration from yisrael. shame on all of you!

You are from Africa and everyone, adam , ham, bacon, sham, etc \., is all descended from Odudua.
Re: Yoruba's; Originated From The East, Is This True. by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:20pm On Nov 06, 2012
ODUA_NEGRO:

The one and only Chief Negro, yes! grin

Yes, I read him. It upsets me that our people find european writers more credible than our own oral history.....even though the european got the story from local source. I dont get it.... sad

Eridu, Nineveh, Itapa, the "m-r" root, Baal, Isise, Orisa, Sargon.....and so on and so forth, there are just too many correlated cultural meanings between the two civilizations that it is reckless to dismiss them as nothing more than an ordinary cincidence.

Read the creation myth of Babylonia and compare with that in Yoruba oral history and you will see a mirror image of one conscioisness that you will not find exist between Yoruba and anyone else.

In the m-r root word you will discover that Edumare, Marduk and Lamarudu all contain the. M-R root, or MARE. So what is MARE? Instead of reading dierk we need to be asking our own people and improving our awareness.

if your pertaining to some kind of fake linguistic similarity , then im telling you that everthing you say is complete bull***. Yoruba language has nothing to do with babylonian, etc.

if you are pertaing to mythological stories similarities, then let me remind you that many parts of Yourba legends and religion are almost smilar to ancient Greek or Hindu or EGyptian concepts due to the underlying similarity of all these ancient Pagan concepts. there is no migration involved. it is purely coincidental or if you wish to say, miraculous.
Re: Yoruba's; Originated From The East, Is This True. by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:22pm On Nov 06, 2012
ODUA_NEGRO: Timeline can be drawn if the total narrative is re-erected. Timeline is storyline. If we get the story we can build the time. The story can be in form of oral history, arts, rituals, customs, tools, reign
....etc.

Atala is an archaic Yoruba term for deluge, a flood that wipes out civilization. Yoruba myth and cosmic reference include knowledge about Noah and Obatala. Obatala is a title of position.....for the one who holds the covenant of a deluge. That covenant includes creation and re-creation through the power of flooding. A covenant is an ase. Orisala is the ase of Obatala. The Canaanites were in posession of Orisala. The sanctum or temple they kept it in is what later grew to become the sacred city of Jerusalem. That sanctum has been destroyed and rebuilt many times through the ages.

Researchers all over the world are preoccupied with the search for a physical piece of Ark of the Covenant. They will not find it because they have the wrong concept of what the Ark is.

WOW what slaves! you fellows are making up your own stories now. i suggest you not to say this to the outside world your weird and useless concepts. you will embarass yourselfs. they don gyv damn about you.
Re: Yoruba's; Originated From The East, Is This True. by ODUANEGRO: 1:17am On Nov 07, 2012
Pagan,

Isnt it time you identify with a culture, instead of probing around for a surrogate home? You say you are Hausa but you dont have a grip on hausa culture, pre or post Islamic. You dance into Igbo culture but you dont know jack about it and wont admit. You snoop into Yoruba culture but your understanding of world cultures and antiquity is half baked and you come up short on points. To cover your a*ss you use all these cheap labels to paint contributors on their own home front as slave of this and slave of that.

Who is a more defined slave than one who is everywhere without foundation and everywhere but in his home? Where is your home?
Re: Yoruba's; Originated From The East, Is This True. by TonySpike: 10:07am On Nov 07, 2012
ODUA_NEGRO: Timeline can be drawn if the total narrative is re-erected. Timeline is storyline. If we get the story we can build the time. The story can be in form of oral history, arts, rituals, customs, tools, reign
....etc.

Negro, I have an opinion about Ila-Orangun which I'm exploring. Could there have been a powerful oracle/deity at Ila-Orangun in the ancient times? I'm suspecting it was more like a spiritual sanctuary or like a place of divination. Take a look at this:

ILA - EL - God
ORA - LIGHT/WORD

This could altogether mean "where Light/Word of God is established". This is just my own interpretation grin grin grin
Re: Yoruba's; Originated From The East, Is This True. by ODUANEGRO: 4:24pm On Nov 07, 2012
Tony,

I concur with your interpretation. What tongue is El and Ora, is this Yoruba?
Re: Yoruba's; Originated From The East, Is This True. by TonySpike: 4:35pm On Nov 07, 2012
ODUA_NEGRO: Tony,

I concur with your interpretation. What tongue is El and Ora, is this Yoruba?

oti oo
Re: Yoruba's; Originated From The East, Is This True. by AndreUweh(m): 6:05pm On Nov 07, 2012
@The Topic, The Yorubas do not come from anywhere. Any one who says they come from any where is a liar. Oduduwa might have come from somewhere which is not certain, but not the Yoruba people.
At first, early Yoruba historians following the Hausa and Kanuri examples started tracing the origin of the Yorubas to Mid east. It was just the influence of Hausa/Fulanis on the Yorubas at that time that brought about this claim.
Modern day Yoruba historians should not look outside the south west as origin of the yoruba people.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba's; Originated From The East, Is This True. by ODUANEGRO: 6:21am On Nov 08, 2012
Tony Spike:

oti oo

What language is it?
Re: Yoruba's; Originated From The East, Is This True. by ODUANEGRO: 6:24am On Nov 08, 2012
Andre Uweh: @The Topic, The Yorubas do not come from anywhere. Any one who says they come from any where is a liar. Oduduwa might have come from somewhere which is not certain, but not the Yoruba people.
At first, early Yoruba historians following the Hausa and Kanuri examples started tracing the origin of the Yorubas to Mid east. It was just the influence of Hausa/Fulanis on the Yorubas at that time that brought about this claim.
Modern day Yoruba historians should not look outside the south west as origin of the yoruba people.

Andre,

So whats that Hausa/Kanuri example that Yoruba used for tracing?
Do you know the difference between Oduduwa and Yoruba? If you do what is it?
Re: Yoruba's; Originated From The East, Is This True. by ektbear: 7:03am On Nov 08, 2012
None of us in West Africa (or Europe, or Asia, etc) are really indigineous.

We are all migrants from somewhere, probably in East Africa, or wherever mankind first came into being grin

I guess it depends on what your cutoff is for declaring that a group is indigenous. 2000 years? 500?
Re: Yoruba's; Originated From The East, Is This True. by AndreUweh(m): 10:20am On Nov 08, 2012
ODUA_NEGRO:

Andre,

So whats that Hausa/Kanuri example that Yoruba used for tracing?
Do you know the difference between Oduduwa and Yoruba? If you do what is it?
The Hausa/Kanuri example is the tracing of their ancestry from the Mid east.
Oduduwa-a conquerer from unknown destination, some say Arab, some say from the Heaven while recently they trace his roots from a place called Benin now. While Yoruba as a people occupy modern day South west Nigeria, some parts of Kwara state and a tiny bit of south east Benin Republic.

The confusion about Yoruba origin is rising day by day. It has to stop and as a result, historians should stop looking outside the south west as the source of Yoruba origin.
Re: Yoruba's; Originated From The East, Is This True. by TonySpike: 10:49am On Nov 08, 2012
Andre Uweh:
Oduduwa-a conquerer from unknown destination, some say Arab, some say from the Heaven while recently they trace his roots from a place called Benin now. While Yoruba as a people occupy modern day South west Nigeria, some parts of Kwara state and a tiny bit of south east Benin Republic.

The confusion about Yoruba origin is rising day by day. It has to stop and as a result, historians should stop looking outside the south west as the source of Yoruba origin.

This isn't confusion, dude. Actually, more evidences are springing up to challenge the older known theories which are at most mainly symbolic. This is called research, it is allowed as long as it is within the ambit of the relevant available evidences. For example, Dierk Langes's recent research in 2011 showed that the Oyo chronological list of kingship from oral evidence is consistent with the successive list of kingship from Hebrew, Babylonian and Assyrian kingship eras. This is an evidence telling us something, and if we take his research from where it stopped, we'll get to understand more about the Yoruba ancient origin.
Re: Yoruba's; Originated From The East, Is This True. by AndreUweh(m): 1:07pm On Nov 08, 2012
Tony Spike:

This isn't confusion, dude. Actually, more evidences are springing up to challenge the older known theories which are at most mainly symbolic. This is called research, it is allowed as long as it is within the ambit of the relevant available evidences. For example, Dierk Langes's recent research in 2011 showed that the Oyo chronological list of kingship from oral evidence is consistent with the successive list of kingship from Hebrew, Babylonian and Assyrian kingship eras. This is an evidence telling us something, and if we take his research from where it stopped, we'll get to understand more about the Yoruba ancient origin.
Let the researchers use loudspeakers and drum it into the ears of Yorubas in all the market places of Odualand.
Re: Yoruba's; Originated From The East, Is This True. by ODUANEGRO: 7:36pm On Nov 08, 2012
Andre Uweh:

No one is interested in your preaching. I want you to answer my question in its specifics. I dont mind debating someone that has deep knowledge but i detest when fools with google info come basking in their cultural illiteracy to say what they dont know but heard on rumor feed and keep repeating it.

Here is my first question after you answer it we go to the second one.

How did Hausa/Kanuri trace the history which you claim became the model for Yoruba knowledge? Share the how and the narrative of their fact finding.
Re: Yoruba's; Originated From The East, Is This True. by XAUBulls: 3:55am On Dec 08, 2023
ODUANEGRO:
Ive known that Atala was synonymous with body of water such as Atlantis, Atlantic, Atlas. It was a Canaanite word, their language was old Hebrew which I have sworn to is the ancient tongue of the Yorubas.

So what is Atala?
Agbami... Deep waters... The deepest part of the ocean.

(1) (2) (Reply)

African/black Women Battle With Alopecia / Exposed Origin Of Oduduwa / This Is The Lagos (yoruba) Wedding That Broke The Internet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.